• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Sakurai Interview: Smash Bros DS and 4 news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
In the latest issue of EDGE magazine Sakurai stated some interesting things.

1. Smash Bros would be perfect on DS.
2. If people need another Smash Bros in a few years he'll be glad to work on it.
3. He's already admitted to cutting out characters but he says he had plenty of other ideas
he had to cut.
4. He says 'right now we have 39 characters. If I made another and had 50 characters would that make a better game? No.'

I'll add more in more detail soon so discuss!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Man, you guys can whine about anything, can't you?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Heck, a Smash Bros game with 50 characters sounds pretty dang good to ME.
50 eh? A certain Blue-bomber better as he11 make the cut this time
actually, according to that I think Sakurai meant if he included more characters it wouldn't really make Smash 4 a better game which is a shame because I actually looking forward for some new characters

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
actually, according to that I think Sakurai meant if he included more characters it wouldn't really make Smash 4 a better game which is a shame because I actually looking forward for some new characters
Guy, Sakurai thinks that a Brawl/Melee 2.0 with simply just more characters would not be a good game. He doesn't think "LOL more characters = bad." I'm sure he will add more characters if he decides another one. >_>

Can't people get that through their thick skulls?

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
A Smash DS would probably have just, say... 25-30 characters and about 25-30 stages.
which is why I would hesitate to buy it.

If the next Smash has 50 characters, that's be good, but... I think Sakurai wants a new innovation to add so its not just the same

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
More third party (MEGAMAN) He'll have to add something totally new to the series since he doesnt want to make one for more characters...maybe a different kind of adventure mode or something

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
SSB DS doesn't seem to be a good idea to me IMO

And i thought he said hes not making anymore SSBs
It will be good or bad depending on how they make it but Sakurai probably has an idea already.

Also a person that says no doesnt mean he can't change his mind later.

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
I like brawl now except the tripping...many times have I died because of tripping...i dont like dying

meta master

Smash Journeyman
In the latest issue of EDGE magazine Sakurai stated some interesting things.

2. If people need another Smash Bros in a few years he'll be glad to work on it.
3. He's already admitted to cutting out characters but he says he had plenty of other ideas
he had to cut.
4. He says 'right now we have 39 characters. If I made another and had 50 characters would that make a better game? No.'

I'll add more in more detail soon so discuss!
they could just do and online update where you download the patch from the wii shop channel and add extra characters, stages, get rid of tripping, etc.

Cease Tick

Smash Ace
EDGE magazine? I've never heard of it. Do they have a site I can visit because I am a bit skeptical.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
I'd love a Smash game for the DS, I mean I don't expect it to be as good as a console version but it doesn't mean it won't be fun. ^^ Some things would have to be changed around though... and there probably won't be as many characters and stages, but that still doesn't mean it'll be bad. ^^

And while having 50 characters won't make the game better, it certainly won't make the game worse, I just hope he doesn't add like one or two characters to the next game and expect us to be excited over that. ^^; I mean as long as Peach and Zelda are playable I'll be happy, but I'll be even happier if Toon Zelda, Lip, Lyn, Jill, Ashley, or any other characters I like were added to the roster. ^^

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm skeptical regarding an SSB DS. It seems to me that the roster would be significantly smaller in order to hold everything. Of course, if the graphics are in 2D that may not be the case.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I'd love a Smash game for the DS, I mean I don't expect it to be as good as a console version but it doesn't mean it won't be fun. ^^ Some things would have to be changed around though... and there probably won't be as many characters and stages, but that still doesn't mean it'll be bad. ^^

And while having 50 characters won't make the game better, it certainly won't make the game worse, I just hope he doesn't add like one or two characters to the next game and expect us to be excited over that. ^^; I mean as long as Peach and Zelda are playable I'll be happy, but I'll be even happier if Toon Zelda, Lip, Lyn, Jill, Ashley, or any other characters I like were added to the roster. ^^
Yeah, you're right. It might be little primitve, but it'd still be fun. And new characters would be nice too, I'd just be scared of clones and such. Peach and Zelda=must be in.

The DS lacks an analog stick, though. How would one pull of tilts? Tapping your direction twice quickly or something? I mean, you could always use the stylus for something, but I guess it'd only be really useful for moving (pulling it across the screen) And jumping (poking the character). I'd rather the game be sans-stylus, but meh...I mean there's already 4 ways to play! in Brawl, so there could be an alternate method, or at least a control setup. In SSBB, you're able to take that a step further as we all know, like if you set specials to the C-Stick. I'm not how'd that work in this version though.

I'd imagine N64-like graphics, but do you'd think they'd use sprites instead. You never know with Sakurai anymore.:dizzy:

Wölf

Smash Apprentice
I don't see the point of adding new characters. Honestly. "Just so the fanboys can be happy" is NOT a good reason to spend the time creating 20 new characters that could be spent un-breaking the current game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't see the point of adding new characters. Honestly. "Just so the fanboys can be happy" is NOT a good reason to spend the time creating 20 new characters that could be spent un-breaking the current game.
You honestly don't think they'd ever create a Smash Bros without adding new characters, do you? One of the things that makes me very happy about Brawl is all the new playstyles it introduced because of the new characters: Olimar, Pokemon Trainer, Snake, etc. Also, there are still a lot of great characters that would definately enrich the Smash Bros experience and deserve to be represented.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
in the official SSb4 discussion many ppl said that they hope mr masahiro has nothing to do with the game and i have to agree with them, even tho tripping doesnt get you killed as often as we thought it can take kills away from you by screwing with your followups after getting a hit. its basically an abomination.

Smash Ds would be the game that would make me get a DS,

but its impossible to think that adding characters doesnt make for a better game. if brawl had the same 25 char. as melee... we all be playing melee right now.
everyone who mains Sonic, Snake, MK, D3, CF, Pit, Lucario, Diddy or Ike, would proly be playing melee they werent in the game, i know i would

and the comment about unbreaking the game instead of adding characters is baseless. everyone know the creator, ignored the competitive community when making this game, so if he had had time to work on the game more, i would rather that he add more characters, instead of say, adds more items, and flatzone 2 equivalent stages. b/c either way, that time would not have been spent giving snakes forward tilt less range or givin his up tilt less power, or making shuttle loop weaker. it would have been spent on thing we most likely wouldnt have used after the first month of release anyway

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
If they made a Smash for DS, they would need to do plenty of tweaking to the core gameplay mechanics in order to make it the best it could be for the system it is running on.

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
Well, maybe he could narrow down the number of characters from a particular franchise, while adding completely new characters.

For example: Only 1 Fire emblem rep, at most two pokemon characters, getting rid of Zsamus and adding a completely new metroid character, Replacing G&W or ROB with new retro characters, etc.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm in favor of removing half of the known roster and replacing it with new characters that would reprise the role, more or less, that the previous characters held (or keep the original 12 and add entirely new and different characters from there). For instance - replace Ganondorf with Skull Kid/Majora, or Zant. Replace Peach with Rosalina, replace Wario with Waluigi, replace Diddy with Dixie, Pit with Little Mac, Meta Knight with Knuckle Joe, Lucario with Deoxys, Jigglypuff with some other Pokemon, Snake and Sonic with Bomberman and Megaman, etc, etc. It'd be a huge shift, but for a Smash "side" title, if you will, it could definitely work, and would further help to establish which characters are the most loved so they could decide who to include in the next console Smash Bros without having to tack on a ton of characters.

SacredThunder

Smash Cadet
he doesn't want to make a new smash game just to fatten up the roster. and he thinks he made brawl perfect. but it isn't. no game is. but brawl needs a lot of improvement. but he doesn't think so. so don't get your hopes up

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
1. No, it wouldn't. I don't see what making it handheld would add to the series, except for novelty value.
2. Meh
3. A guy's gotta do what a guys gotta do.
4. He's got a point. He obviously created the game for more the gaming experience then anything, focusing more on game modes and that then characters. If Brawl had 50 characters, I'd still be mehhh about it, because there are too many bad gameplay decisions that have been made (that's not necessarily a 'BAAWW tripping!' statement.)

Charizard92

Smash Champion
1: yeah, that might work...
2: he always seems to contradict himself doesn't he...
3: those Ideas might work in the next one...
4: this is true, but he can add more than characters and modes.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
he had to cut.
1. It would be interesting, if nothing else. I'm not totally sure how it'd work, but I'd love to see it.
2. Judging from the response in the SSB4 thread, I think it's safe to say we'll need one.
3. Meh. It happens. You simply can't include everything you think of in a single game. We already had more than enough delays, honestly...
4. He's right about that. A new game needs more than just an expanded roster. Every game thus far in the series has expanded characters' movesets, from the addition of the Side B in Melee to Final Smashes in Brawl. Even if more characters, stages, items, etc. were added, if all the existing characters remained exactly the same, it wouldn't be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom