• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breakin' Down The Game: Luigi's Aerial Game

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
Introduction:

Welcome to the first episode of ThaRoy's "Breakin' Down The Game". This is a continual series of writings where I will explain and break down the various components of different characters and attributes. I go in-depth to discuss the practical, technical, and strategical elements by isolating and defining them individually. I also will share what effective maneuvers and applications I see as acceptable and efficient.

Luigi has a lot going for him this time around, but one aspect of his game shines above the rest. That is, his aerial game. Luigi has very poor traction on the ground causing him to slide and have his own momentum dictate his spacing. This seems to be a strength at first, but after a few matches an opponent will learn the patterns and learn to punish this. This limits his ground game by a huge margin, but that is not to say it is bad. Actually, Luigi has a strange and tactful ground game with unique factors leading to overwhelming outcomes. However, his aerial game is not only more simple to learn the basics of, it provides more benefeits and is exceptional in the scheme of things.

This episode of "Breakin' Down The Game" is targeted towards Luigi's aerial game. Unfortunatly for us, Luigi starts on the ground. This works both for and against us. It'd be a lot easier if Luigi started in the air as his aerial game is better then his ground game. However, the oddities of his ground game actually benefeit his aerial game due to the relation between the two. Luigi's poor traction allows you to slide, as seen immediatly. Take note that you can shield in the middle to cancel the slide and then perform a jump to enter the air. However, the depth of approaching the aerial aspect is very big and shall be explained in great detail.

Chapter 1: Ground-To-Air Relation

Luigi has many options when it comes to approaching and spacing. His most obvious elements contributing to spacing is his standard special attack: his fireball. In order to master Luigi's aerial game-play, you need to effectively master all related and contributing aspects. His fireball is not the fastest or most distance-covering projectile, but a very effective and well-rounded one. When it hits the opponent it will cause them to briefly stop in their tracks and cancel their momentum. It will also cancel any projectile that interrupts it's path canceling both the projectile and the fireball. If released in the air, it travels horizontally as if it was on ground. This will be explained later however when we discuss the aerial gameplay.

Luigi has some start-up lag for the fireball and it does not travel to fast. However, once released it is possible to dash and slide so that the fireball will hit your opponent at the same time your slide finishes. This requires some timing and the ability to understand the fundamentals, and as such practice is needed. This is beneficial because Luigi has a pretty good short hop and is able to move freely in the air very well. Releasing a fireball and then dashing and stopping so your slide ends when the fireball makes contact is maximized with a short hop. Once in the air you can move backwards or forwards. If you move backwards, you will go at a downward trajectory at a some-what decent rate. If you fast fall your backwards momentum, you'll hit the ground much faster and be between your initial starting point and take-off point.

This is a very valuable asset to Luigi's gameplay simply because it is tricky to deal with. The unique projectile followed up immediatly by a unique momentum-carried slide is different then most ways of approach. Aided by the speed that Luigi jumps off the ground, you are able to force your opponent any way you choose. The fireball will generally force them to either shield or cancel the attack causing slight lag or evade it. If they choose to evade it, they can roll, spotdodge, or jump. If they roll, take note of which direction so you can maneuver accordingly. However, if they spotdodge then you know they'll end up being in the same place they were. If they decide to jump in the air, well, it is evident that a clash will occur.

Now, getting back to the scenario of Luigi moving backwards after short hopping. Luigi will ultimatly land closer to the opponent then initiially placed, thus closing in. This is effective spacing as you are always able to initialize an attack if they counter-attack you or a defensive maneuver. If they choose to pursue you by leaping into the air as you do the same, you can fast-fall and air dodge or attack back. But the attacking will be covered later, another element is going to be introduced now.

If you decide to fast-fall and air dodge, you can time it so that you air dodge a few frames away from hitting the ground. This is called SHAD'ing, and allows you a mild buffer period where you can imput a function and it'll perform as soon as possible. This is great for throwing off opponents because if you spaced well, you can focus on where they are going to land and proceed to target them there. This can allow you to retreat or move closer to them, allowing you a variety of options.

Another element to the relation between Luigi's ground and air gameplay is his down special: his tornado. This move can rise off of the ground or move horizontally a great distance or a combination of both. Utilizing this enables another option and calls for a completely different set of responses. The tornado can be used as a means of attacking, spacing, counter-attack, or simply relocating in an unorthodox way. If you use this to place your character differently, it will cancel most projectiles as well as possibly hitting your opponent if they attack the tornado. This move has high priority and is very rapid, having slight lag. It is a prime selection for widening or closing the space between you and your opponent as well as placing your character in the air or on the ground. The options are vast and thus different methods suit different styles.

The concluding aspect of this chapter is a further look at Luigi's dash and traction. Luigi's dash enables a way of fast travel from one place to another, but introduces new variables. In relation to his aerial game, many possibilites highlight and opt for correct aerial approach. His shield cancel allows him to slide slightly and cancel his dash with a shield, thus blocking any hits he might receive. You can then spot dodge, roll, or release the shield and approach again. Thus, three different movements are open. If they are close to you, you can grab them out of the shield and thus even more tactics are avaiable.

But the most intricate factor of his dash is the traction. Luigi slides a great distance and is able to pivot and cancel the momentum. This is difficult for your opponent to predict as it is very quickly initiated and prompts for a fast following function. You can do any technique out of the slide and thus space and leap properly. Be creative and combine elements discussed in this chapter for numerous possibilites.

Chapter 2: Offensive Aerial Aspects

Now that I have explained and covered the relation with Luigi on the ground to in the air, we shall cover what to do in the air. Luigi has a lot of options, his aerial gameplay being his predominant offensive style. His Nair will cancel all lag when landing on the ground allowing for lag-canceled follow-ups. Nair is a sex-kick, the best one in the game. When rising or descending, it will hit and cause damage and have great knockback. A rising Nair is often followed with a Fire Jump Punch sweetspotted for a vertical knock-out. The Nair also is effectively fast-fallen so that you can space accordingly. The priority of the kick allows for canceling an opponent's attack and projectile, so it's a very efficient defensive technique as well. The landing lag cancel is greatly combined with mentioned methods of spacing and approaching to repeat land-to-air transaction.

Luigi's Uair is another great technique, hitting the opponent upwards and causing damage. Alone as an attack it is not that good, however it is executed fast with little ending lag enabling for swift follow-ups. As such, it is great to use this when rising and hit your opponent, and then at the apex of your jump position your character so you will move in the direction you hit them and proceed to follow up. This technique also is great for suceeding another aerial attack.

Luigi's Dair has a difficult learning curve. It is a spike but a difficult one to pull off. When your nose is facing their feet it will spike them down. However, if you hit them and that's not the case, it sends the opponent horizontally. It is by no means a poor attack if not used as a spike, it has great horizontal knockback and is only beaten by your Bair when it comes to horizontal knockback. It does good damage and cancels when landing. An advisable method of use is to SH Dair when they're on the ground to deal damage followed up with any other technique you see fit. However, do not abuse the Dair as it weakens with technique decay.

Luigi's Fair is my personal favorite aerial attack. It is a quick attack that allows for numerous follow ups. It's mediocre knockback places them not far from you, certainly not out of reach, and the quickness allows you to follow up every time. You can follow up with another Fair to place them further from their initial point if you wish. You can move through the air and Dair, potentially leading to a spike or a horizontal attack. This leaves little to desire if practiced, while it may not work everytime it is still valuable. If the DI isn't to strong, you can actually position beneath them slightly and Dair spike them leading to a loss of a stock. You can also Uair out of the Fair leading them away from you and causing good damage and practically no lag. If you do this, doing a reverse fireball if you're in the air or on the ground is good to keep them from landing so fast. This allows you to get your footing. In some situations you can Fair to Bair. This requires aerial pursuit as it works best with lower damage. The Fair places them in front of you so you move towards them and Bair. If it hits they'll rack up damage. It's situational but worth it. However, the best follow-up is Fair to Nair. Most people expect Fair-Fair so when Nair comes out it's a surprise. Plus, it lag cancels on landing and is a sex kick. It has higher priority then Fair so it can lead to some interrupted counters to your opponent. The Fair is great for SH and also for off stage to keep them off stage.

Luigi's Bair is the undisputed best aerial that is available to him. It is very fast and sends them flying back. It allows you to recover after using the Bair very quickly as well as following up with another aerial. RAR'ing is mandatory to master in order to use Luigi so you can pull of the Bair without flaw. A majority of kills are with the Bair-Bair-Recover-Repeat combo, often dubbed Luigi's 'Wall of Pain'. Keep in mind that other grea follow-ups exist such as reverse fireball to prevent recovery or a fast-fallen Dair to spike them and take away a stock. The Uair follow-up often places them closer to the edge of the map and the Bair-Nair is great if you think they'll recover. The Bair-Nair will hit them back and if they recover, your Nair will hit them and probably kill them. Also, Fair is effective if you are recovering and they make it before you do. Fair will hit them away and allow you safe landing.

The tornado in the air is great because you can rise and fall with it as well as move horizontally. It works with momentum so if you're jumping up and use it, you'll rise very high. If you're falling and try to move upwards, you'll be stunted and it won't cover very much. None the least, you can use other moves after it as well as use it to clear the edges so you can recover properly.

Finally, using a fireball in the air is very tactful and if used strategically, efficient. The fireball will travel horizontally so do not use it to hit the opponent but rather limit them. If you're descending and they're on the ground, use it so that they will not leap into the air to evade you. Following it up with a descending Nair, Dair, Fair, or tornado will close off the space above them as an effective means to escape. This is vital for pressuring and playing an agressive Luigi as it spaces well and forces them by cutting off pathways.

Chapter 3: Aerial Recovery

Luigi is gifted in the aspects of recovery simply because he has three techniques to do so. His fire punch is his standard recovery, but his rocket is his best horizontal recovery option. Use it to not only reach the stage but to potentially clear an edge-guard or land behind them and space. His tornado allows him to recover in a number of ways, being extremely versatile. Using the tornado followed by a rocket or fire punch will allow you to effectively breack the horizontal of vertical axis. Practice and learn the recoveries because they become vital.

Chapter 4: Conclussion/Closing Thoughts

This concludes the first episode of "Breakin' Down The Game". I went over all aspects of Luigi's aerial game, including ground-to-air relation, aerial evasion, aerial attacks, recovery, and landing. I hope this helps and if you thought that I helped you improve your game, please help me improve and continue my series of writing by giving me feedback and telling others to check this out. Please, do not be harsh for the sake of doing so, be as critical and skeptical as you wish. If you thought this was good, please message or PM or post here telling me what you liked and if you'd like to see more of these episodes. Perhaps I'll do another one on the Luigi board. Thank you.

-ThaRoy

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Well what can I say, amazing post ThaRoy. So your doing this for all character? Must be some epic homework. Although I read through it pretty fast, you kind of covered every aspect of Luigi's aerial game. Either way keep it up, for what I see it's going to be a good series.

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
I'm not going to do this for every character, only for every character that has a board with a respectable audience where I hope they'd appreciate and utilize my ideas. But then again, who am I to say if my ideas are good or not. We'll see. The board's overall respect towards others is how I'll decide.

And thanks for the compliment ^_^

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Few words, from me, first off amazing work on the post. I probably know most of this but it's always good to review what Luigi is capable of. Good luck on covering each character though. Alot of epic work you got there.

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
Nice thread, ThaRoy you know that is a big thing coming from me. Do not be so quick to judge and do not flame other people's threads.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Excellent read. I'd never thought of using luigi's sliding as an approach. Your analysis of fireballs in the air has helped me add a new component to my air game. Thanks, while some people might be deterred by a wall of text, they are defiantly missing out.

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
Hey Mikey, I hope you see this thread and agree with me that Luigi is top tier.
I am all for Luigi being bottom tier o.o Why do I need others agreeing with me my character is good based upon observations when they can underestimate and lose. In the end, tiers don't affect gameplay but only personal bias. So why don't you invest more time to your gameplay then to tiers and you'll be improving yourself. Just a suggestion.

On the other note, thank you. I have finished Episode Two of Breakin' Down The Game covering other aspects of Luigi but will only post it based upon feedback and the overall wish and want for it. I wanna be respected, it's only fair since I respect the board =D

luigidude90

Smash Apprentice
that was quite a good read tharoy, good job. i am usually put off by lots of text but since hes a charcter ive mained since melee i want all the info on him i can get.

p.s. you have my respect and i look forward to your next thread.

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
Would anyone be interested in a sequel breaking down his ground game...?

Folt

Smash Ace
Now this is interesting... and useful... Need to archive this on my computer...

N M E

Smash Apprentice
That was a really good read and if you have any more infomation on luigi, I could assure you it would be more than welcome on these boards.

Keep up the good work

Top Bottom