• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Projectile matchup guide--Discussion & information--ROB next after dat falco

Swordplay

Smash Lord
This is a projectile matchup thread. If you think this is a character matchup thread then in the words of Borat "You Are ******"

If you don't know by now one of the best ways to play Link is to camp out and spam or fight a good midrange spaced game. If you have been reading guides you'll find that this is the best way to play. This matchup guide will compare Links spam game to other characters spam game. I will not go into complete matchup analysis, just analysis of the projectile matchup.

I would like to start a thread about how to beat other characters spams that are considered equal to links or superior or even worth mentioning in order to help link players with the problem of being out spammed.

What I will do is list a character and post some suggestions that are worth talking about. We can discuss it and I will edit the character once talk has died down and hopefully come up with some sort of way of at least managing a better spam. Then I will post a new character and we will start it over. I will also talk more about your opponents spam than your's since you probably know yours pretty well.

I have organized it so that it is in order.
1. In depth discussion about the spam game.
2. Summery
3. Who has a spam advantage.

Orange will separate and highlight sections

Cyan indicates and important note

This thread is not dedicated on how to beat a character but rather on how to beat their spam.
Also a warning. It can be a longer read. Here are the characters in order so far.

Red Indicates Spam Disadvantage
Green Indicates Spam Advantage
Yellow Indicates Close to Neutral/debatable

#1 King De De De

#2 Ice Climbers

#3 Pit

#4 Olimar

#5 Toon Link

#6 Zelda

#7 Lucario

#8 Ivysaur

#9 Wolf

#9 Samus

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1 King De De De

Discussion

Surprise. DDD has a really good spam.---time for my initial thoughts and opinions with what I have experienced.

DDD throws Waddle Dee's. They do some damage but more importantly they block your projectiles. This really puts Link in a pickle because Link really can't approach well. I have fought some very good DDD's and have some interesting suggestions.

First of all I found recoil specials to be somewhat effective in this matchup but if you don't want to use those there are alternatives.

Kyari's idea is good to.
Boomerangs and Waddle Dee's cancel each other out. You can dash throw boomerangs and they will cancel any Waddle Dee's that he throws, and your lag from the boomerang toss is much less than his lag from his Waddle Dee throw. It allows you to approach for free, which will cause Dedede players to be wary of their Waddle usage.
This is actually very useful if you choose to approach from the ground.

You can try to short hop projectiles like your boomerang to approach. This is similar to Kyari's idea but through the air. It is best represented by lonewolfe's idea.
jump, throw your boomerang, then when you land, throw the bomb, which can get rid of waddle dees he may throw at you and possibly leave DDD open for a zair....
I find that DDD outmaneuvers you in the air but this is still a good strategy

iI you spam approach and miss you will be punished as link lands near DDD and DDD either F-tilts or if you are close enough he chain grabs you which is not fun at all and will cost you a lot. The only way to truly approach like this is to spam zair and approach. most people who have discussed this mentioned that zair will **** waddle dee's and they are right. You can even use a bomb if you would like. DDD is big and abusing zair is the key to success. It has range so you won't get chain grabbed unless you make a spacing mistake. This is decent way to fight his spam.

Summery

So the good way is to use links godly zair (with a bomb is better) in an attempt to approach the big buy. You can also mix it up with your boomerang to cancel a waddle dee. If you try to use DAC you might end up running into a waddle dee and mess up spacing leading to being chain grabbed. DEE's projectile is basically a projectile blocker so it cancels out many of your's. It just takes some brains to figure out how to beat it.

Watch out. DDD might power shield into a shield grab and you will be taken for a ride.

Overall spam matchup
this spam match is close to even

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 Ice Climbers

Discussion

At low levels of play the Ice Climbers can't really spam well

The Ice Climber spam is hard to do (fortunately for us) because it relies on a hard to master AT called Desync. And it is only deceivingly good when it really isn't that bad.

Desync means that instead of Nana attacking right after Popo. She is able to attack far from after Popo's attack.
A good Ice climber player can rotate attacks with this technique

This means than when they spam ice blocks, instead of coming together they come one after another after another in a seemingly endless spam. Really something to see if you haven't experienced.

This spam particularly difficult for link on FD. But there are a few options

Duck and use the shield. Ice Climber spam can't do anything if you use the shield. Unfortunately you can't spam back either if you choose this strategy.

Link really has a hard time spamming back if he is far away because of his lag startup time to using a projectile. If a projectile hits an ice block it will stop it but another one is coming right away so that is not a good idea. it is extremely hard to jump over these ice blocks and approach. because it takes incredible timing not to mess up and the ice climbers start to rotate F-Smashes or chain grab to 0-death if you get to close. Zair doesn't help much because the ice climbers are short and small making zair hard to use. The same goes for their ice blocks.

Ice blocks have terrible priority so any of links projectiles or jabs sends them the other way. Unfortunately jab cancel and short hop arrow cancels don't really do the trick as they just come so fast.

The only way to effectively do anything is to try to throw a bomb, use an arrow or boomerang to hit the ice climbers in an attempt to hit 1 of the two Ice Climbers which will not only separate them slightly but mess up their desync timing. They will have to take the time to re-desynch and this is where you have the opportunity to go in and beat the snot of of them. If you hit em both that is god too as it stops the spam.You out range them with a sword so have fun but don't get grabbed. Unfortunately you can really only do this when you are in projectile range. Otherwise you may *** well try short hop and fast fall in order to approach. You will most likely get hit on the way in because it is hard to dodge.

Ice climbers can ice block lock you just like falco's laser lock so be careful of setups and tech and DI to make it more difficult on them.

Summery

Since the IC spam is so ground based it is most dangerous on places like FD. If you have platforms take advantage of them.

If you are at FD here are a few tips

Have a bomb and hand and double jump and throw it.
Shoot an arrow (practice with the arc in the air to hit them and interrupt their spam)
If you close enough a boomerang can work.

Overall spam matchup
Spam advantage Link if not on a course like FD
If you are it is a lot closer.

#3 Pit

I hate pit's spam. It really is annoying how his 1 projectile spam is almost as good if not better than all three or your's combined.

First of all lets get this out there. Forget your shield. A good pit will be able to turn the arrow so you get a foot shot or head shot and avoid your shield.

Pit also spams fast making it very hard to spam back without being hit a lot by arrow's. You are almost force to approach pit because his spam game is so good. and much faster than your's

Here are some things to keep in mind.

1. Spot dodge the first arrow.
2.Jump into the air and air dodge approach with the next arrow
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 or just 2

Pit does out range you so once you get into mid range here are some things to keep in mind.
A good distance for Link to spam against Pit would be between far and mid distance. Don't use arrows too much, at least against a Pit that uses his shield. Bombs and Gale Boomerang patterns will beat out Pit's arrow spam.

Bombs has higher priority than Pit's arrows so it will absorb Pit's arrow and continue along it's path. The bomb's explosion seems to be able to go under Pit's shield at times and do damage so that's a plus.

Gale Boomerang will neutralize Pit's arrows. If reflected it will return as the Whirlwind and inflict no damage.
I'll take his word on it for now and test it later.

Arrows really aren't your friend in this match as pit has 2 reflectors and his arrows are better than your's Don't use arrows unless you Arrow cancel with a combo or something.

It is true that gale can neutralize an arrow but the come so fast. during your approach if your in the air you can use your boomerang in an attempt to hit him. Blocking an arrow with a boomerang is useful but not really as practical as you may think.

Bombs are your friend so use them. According to Impact they have a higher priority than arrows (Still haven't tested it myself) During your air doge approach to pit. keep a bomb in hand. Since you are already air dodging once you get close Pit will have to stop spamming else be punished. When he does, you have the chance to zair if you spacing is good. Or If your really close a bomb-Fsmash might work. Just be sure to hold A during your airdoge when you come down. Pit might attempt a F-smash of his own though but fortunately you do out range him. Just be careful of your spacing. If he is stupid and continues spamming punish him.

If pit uses angel ring as you approach your in trouble as it comes out fast. and you are probably jumping towards him when he does it. If that is the case DI out of it and attempt to grab him.

Links grab comes out fast and Angel ring takes a bit to put away. A grab should out range him. You could also roll behind him if he is in his angel ring approach motion and do a F-smash with or without a bomb.

Another option instead of your last approach being a air dodge you could short hop a bomb throw into an arrow cancel. If what Impact says is true, the bomb will absorb the arrow and both or either the arrow and bomb will hit him.

Many of these ideas where taken from AeroLink.
Pit is somewhere midrange. When I fought my friend, I would use zair and bombs. Bottom line. But pretty much, I'm better than my friend in a close range fight, so my sword does most of the fighting, but for spamming purposes, yeah, bombs and zair As for the angel ring, he spams it so much that I can anticipate it coming, and either 1. Grab out of a shield or 2. Roll behind and punish. Zair works also when spaced correctly.
Do watch out for his mirror shield during your approach. The initial fames of it can even negate your zair as I believe it has Super Armor. Careful of an arrow loop too. Don't be thrown off by an unpractical move.

Summery

You have to approach pit as his spam is better than your's. In todays metagame the best way to approach him as of now is to spot dodge the first and air doge the proceeding arrows.

It is best to keep in mind that pit has fast moves and will stop his spam to use them while you approach. Be careful of your spacing as you land. If you do land to close throw the bomb down and blow yourself up as well as pit. The punishment from that will be less than a quick F-smash from pit. If you don't have a bomb a D-smash is a good idea if you mess up your spacing as it is one of your quickest moves.

As you near pit. an arrow cancel or zair is good one he stops his spam to produce some a hit and some hit stun. since these have not lag once you hit the ground you can finish your approach with a DAC or another approach move. I recommend DAC as it is easier to kill pit vertically than horizontally.

Use bombs if you get in trouble during your approach.

Overall spam matchup
Spam advantage Pit.
You'll have to get close to win.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#4 Olimar

First I will list the pikmin he uses.

1. Pikmin type’s attributes
a.Red
  • Immune to fire: what this means is that if a red pikmin comes in contact with fire it will not dies while all others will.
b.Blue
  • Immune to water: what this means is that if a blue pikmin comes in contact with water it will not die while all others will.
  • Has only slightly less durability than purple
c.Yellow
  • Immune to electricity: what this mean is that if a yellow pikmin comes in contact with electricity it will not die while all others will.
  • When thrown it follows a higher arc.
e.White
  • When thrown it flies faster and farther than others.
  • Has less survivability than all other pikmin.
  • Weight=light
f.Purple
  • Less range on almost all attacks.
  • When thrown it doesn't fly as far.
  • More Knock-back on all attacks
  • More damage on most attacks.
  • Has considerably more survivability than other pikmin.
  • Weight=heavy
g.Explanation of pikmin evolution differences
After doing numerous tests with the help of Projectiled we found there to be no difference between the different types of pikmin (i.e. leaf, bud, flower).
The following things we confirmed about the subject:
  • No variation in damage
  • No variation in knockback
  • No variation in average latch number
  • No variation in durability
  • No additional 'armor'
  • No healing benefits (when we first noticed the 1% armor, we questioned if perhaps the process of upgrading to the new form reset the damage)
  • No variation in range
  • No variation in return/moving/flying speed
  • No variation in attack lag or windup
  • No variation in 'elemental' attack
Thanks and credit goes to NC-Echo's Olimar guide

With this I will begin the projectile matchup.

Your arrows repel pikmin (not kill them) when uncharged.
When charged It can kill most of the pikmin fresh.
Your boomerang kills most pikmin fresh. (Not sure on purple though (it is the most durable))
Bombs kill almost all pikmin fresh (I think red lives because it is fire resistant, Still unsure on purple)
zair should work on them all (untested)

You really don't need to worry about the purple pikmin during your spam as it doesn't go far. If people ask for testing I will do it.

Link can out range olimars pikmin spam. It is unfortunate though because Olimar's spam is super fast and he will easily close the spacing to his advantage.

This means your projectiles become to slow to keep up with olimar and you going to have pikmin attached to you at some point. There are two good ways to kill attached pikmin. You want to do a quick move that can deal good damage and can reach behind you which is why I recommend U-tilt and F-Tilt. They are fast and kill almost all of the pikmin.

It is weird to say but bombs are your enemy in this matchup. If you have a pikmin attached to you and you try to throw a bomb it will more than likely blow up in your face. Maybe if your lucky you will get it past the pikmin hits and successfully throw the bomb but more than likely not. That is why if you are not doing anything kill the pikmin.

Because his spam is better than your's you will have to approach. DAC is a good option sometimes as it will kill pikmin during your approach. Craq-walk to F-tilt can also be good. Watch out for the purple pikmin as he will throw it to stop your approach or use another move. air dodge to zair is a great option of olimar is short hopping his pikmin spam. But zair isn't as useful if he is on the ground cause of his size. It is still doable but significantly more difficult.

There is a huge difference between killing a pikmin and repelling it. If you kill it it means olimar has to pluck more out.

Pressure is a great way to beat an olimar player. Olimar is nothing without pikmin so the olimar player is every running low on pikmin try to be aggressive. Don't give him the chance to pluck out more pikmin. This can be a match that can all come down to momentum.

I still find that being aggressive is the best way to fight an olimar. Olimar will probably throw a lot a pikmin at you and you will probably take a lot of damage. However if you keep at it and don't let Olimar pull pickmin out you can turn the tables. Once he is off the stage he recovery is even worse that your's :D

I find F-tilt your friend in this match so learn how to use it with craq-walk for mindgames. Not only will F-tilt kill pikmin fast, it is one of your good horizontal moves. if you can get olimar of the stage it should be a free stock. Just speed hug the edge.

Keep track of the order of his pikmin. Always look at olimar and use your peripheral vision to look at you. If you do this Olimar will become slightly more predictable as you will eventually learn what he uses his pikmin for.

Summery

Try to be more aggressive and kill a lot of pikmin in the process. If Olimar is low on pikmin and you don't give him the opportunity to reorganize or pluck more he becomes really easy. Unfortunately you will probably take a lot of damage so use u-tilt and f-tilt to kill them of you have a lot on you. Then approach quickly. DAC and craq-walf F-tilt are both good idea's. Don't get too close though as olimar has insane grab range. Once he is off the stage gimp him. It is pretty easy. If he throws a purple pikmin at you to try to get you off zair edge guard.

There are probably other ways to fight Olimar that I just don't know. I just don't play a lot of them being almost non-existent in my Midwest smash community. If you have found another good way of fighting Olimar please post something and I will be sure to get it up. I'll update at a later date once more information is discussed.

Overall spam matchup
Spam advantage Olimar.
Play aggressive Run down his pikmin supply.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 Toon Link

Toon Link is very similar but at the same time very different. Just like Link he has 3 projectiles.

Toon Link has arrows and they are different from yours. They stay out a long time and Toon Link can Short Hop Double Arrow them. This allows him to create a wall of arrows. Toon Links arrows are not for hitting though. It isn't that hard to get around them. Toon Link uses his arrows for setups. If you get around them incorrectly you will most likely be punished with a combo.

Toon Link also has a boomerang that hits on the way back. He can also throw them on sharper angles. This is useful to keep in mind when fighting on multi platform levels like battlefield. When combined with his arrows Toon Link can generate an even more effective dome than you. At least he can't gale guard you.

Fortunately for you Bombs are in your advantage. Sakuri says that Toon Links bombs have 2X the blast radius as Links. Its not even close to that. The hit box as actually almost as small as Links. It just appears larger because of the Toon Bomb explosion. It is all smoke and mirrors my fellow Link players. I also believe Links bombs do more damage but it isn't that much. I think it is 8% to 7%. The big advantage here is that you are stronger and can throw your bombs father. If you stand on the end of FD Link can get his bombs into the inner blue diamond center with a foward c tap. Toon Link can not. Toon Link can only catch up to Link. (cannot beat links throw) in distance when he hops his bombs. However a full double jump of Toon Links throw is about equal distance to a full Double jump of your throw even though he is much higher.

When it comes down to it there are two ways to fight Toon Link. Approach or spam.

Link outrages Toon Link slightly so if you choose to and are careful of your spacing you may attempt to approach. How you approach is up to you. There are a variety of ways to do it. You can use the air dodge and occasional zair approach to dodge a projectile and out prioritize another one with zair. You can throw your own projectiles back in an attempt to make an opening. Just don't get caught in a combo. How you choose is up to you but since this is a projectile matchup guide I will discuss the projectile aspect of it now.

You really don't need to worry about bombs in a spam game. If Toon Link ever gets in bomb range you will be in bomb range first because you can throw your's farther. What you really have to worry about are the sharp angles Toon Link can throw his boomerang and his Short Hop Double Arrow which is his best spam.

Basically you will want to learn to full Hop Double arrow. Link has a Double Jump Triple arrow as well. (very hard to do) If you become. successful in doing these arrow techniques (especially the triple). You will be able to time it so that you jump over his short hop double arrows and shoot your own. This is a lot harder than it seems but doable. You might get hit with one of his arrows on the way down if you time it wrong. If you are able to move slightly in the air while doing these techniques it will help you avoid his arrows a great deal.

Your really going to have to watch out if Toon Link mixes his spam up with other things like a boomerang angled into the air or if he Full hops or Double jumps and shoots a lot of arrows and throws a bomb/boomerang. However all of these projectiles aren't that fast when you compare them to say Falco's. They all have some sort of startup or ending lag. That means there should be an opening. Find it and exploit it. Even if you can't find an opening, a few easy arrows and a boomerang shouldn't be that hard to dodge. Especially when the arrows move so slow. I personally hate it when people catch my bombs. Well if Toon Link throws his bombs catch them with an air dodge and throw Toon Bombs at him. Link with Toon bombs makes for a good laugh once in a while.

For those of you who don't know, Link can full hop a boomerang into an arrow cancel. If your good enough you can play with the angels of the boomerang and try to cause some chaos for your opponent.

You do have a longer bomb throw so if you are ever in range, Full hop a bomb throw into an arrow cancel or short hop a bomb throw into an arrow cancel (depends on your positioning) and try to mess him up. You can even follow up with a boomerang or something.

If your not good enough to do these techniques at least you have a shield. Too bad it isn't really useful unless you got good defense mobility because BANG headshot. or OUCH footshot. Too bad that the shield isn't as good as you think in high levels of play.

Here are some misc. tips on Toon Link

TOON LINK

Toon Link can spam faster and better....try to do that Z-air > bomb thing and don't approach stupidly and so predictable about it. Full Hop Double Arrows might work well. Go for vertical killers on him like d-air, u-air (which beats his d-air =D), u-tilt and d-smash.
You can edge guard him if you get him off stage with a good gale guard or a zair edge guard but don't fly off the stage and try to do something unless it is a dair. Toon link will probably have the advantage here. Vertical Kills are best because of his light weight.

Summery

1. Try to approach and out space him with your range. There are a variety of ways to approach including air dodging and making an opening with your own projectiles. Find out what is best for you.

OR

2. Try to spam back. Learning a Full Hop Double Arrow and Full Hop Boomerang into an arrow cancel are really useful and will help you in your counter spam. Keep it in the back of your head that you can throw your bomb farther than he can.

If You have found other ways to counter spam please share[/COLOR]

Overall spam matchup
Spam advantage is Close to even. (people still tend to debate who has better projectiles)
Learn spam AT's like Arrow Cancel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#6 Zelda

Zelda has only 1 projectile but it is a good one. It has a huge hitbox and can juggle you. At first it seems like a really good projectile but it really isn't.

Fortunately for you Zelda can only have out 1 at a time unless she is hit. If Zelda is hit, she looses control over the Din's fire she had out and can pump out another one. The Dins fire she looses control of will go the max distance and explode. While the projectile is fast moving, because of this it isn't as spam able as others like pit and falco.

I'll start off with this quote.

As far as Zelda goes, like I said earlier, nair cancels her side b or din's fire, so I use that a lot. I'm not sure what other attacks cancel it, but I know there are others, but nair lasts long, and can be used when returning to the stage, etc. And sometimes I notice that Link's air dodge doesn't last long enough and I get hit by her fire anyway, so sex kick is your best bet..
Actually all of Links air attacks or out prioritize zelda's Din's Fire.

I never tested Zair though. Why would you use it though. The hitbox is so far out infront of you that Din's will just go through it and hit you from behind.

Bair is nice (if you can cancel). The problem with Bair is that it has 2 hitbox's and Din's can go off in between them and you will get hit. Din's could also go behind or in front of your bair (depending which way you bair) and you will get hit. This makes it very hard to do a bair but if you can maybe you can follow a shortstop bair into an arrow cancel.

F-air is nearly the same as bair except the hitbox's are even more disjointed so it makes it even harder to use. Fair really has the least amount of applications against dins but at least it still works.

U air is really nice. If zelda is hoping her Dins and getting air momentum off of them surprise her with a uair at close range. It is a meaty attack and will cancel Dins. Continue with it and punish her if she does it in the air. Of course though U-air fails to compare to the almighty dair.

Wow dair is good. If a Dins hits you, bounce and proceed to punish with your dair because it lasts so long. Hit them before the get out of there dins animation. Flying dairs are great. They are so powerful. They will cancel any Dins fire usage by a person trying to use Din's momentum to recover. If they miss or are close enough make them pay with an edge guard or hit them with the almighty dair. Of course you could always gale guard.

However Lonewolfe said it correctly. Nair is the best to use. It lasts long, has very little if any landing lag, and cancels Dins. Ever been knocked of with a lighting kick? If they follow up with dins Nair all the way down to recover. (could dair i guess) If you feel like approaching Nair has a lot of applications. Full hop your Nair into an arrow cancel and approach. I doubt zelda can keep up with her reflector and spamming Dins. Use your nair to cancel dins and fast fall for a hit. Nair is really your best air move against Dins.

Do I even need to mention ZAC? OMG get ready to own her. Zac into your air attacks to cancel them out. Just make sure Dins doesn't go off while in the middle of your ZAC (right after you drop the bomb and right before you catch it) or your bomb will go off in your face.

There are numerous other ways to thwart this spam. Spot dodging works well. You can walk spotdodge and repeate as an approach. Air dodge works as well if you time it right. If you don't the hitbox is large enough that even the slightest timing mistake or motion mistake can cause you to take a hit. Use zair when you get close. Bring a bomb with you for fun.

Because zelda has more range and more control with her projectiles as well as a reflector you'll have trouble using your projectiles (especially the boomerang I find (except gale guarding) because it the AT's arn't as useful for the boomerang in this matchup). You really will only find time to use them against a spam happy zelda when combining them with AT's (ex arrow cancel and ZAC.....maybe bombsmash if you get close and are up for a mind game)

Summery

Nair is really good because it cancels Din's All of your air attacks do but Nair is really the best. Combine Nair with AT's like ZAC and Full hop your Nair into arrow cancels. Learn these and get ready for some rap-age. You may use your boomerang a little harder to use when she is spaming but using bombs and arrows become nice in this matchup because of arrow cancel and ZAC.

Besides canceling with air attacks you can always use the old fashion airdodge and zair approach (with a bomb if your want). This works just find but I and other link players find that outprioritizing thier Din's with air attacks not only frustrates them but is better (my opinion).

No matter which path you choose getting a projectile or 2 off when you have the opportunity really helps because for zelda using her reflector or another motion to interrupt her spam can open a door of possibilities for you.

It really comes down to preference in the end.

However zelda is not a bad character without her spam so watch out. She still has good range and some very powerful moves.

Overall spam matchup
Close to even
It may be hard to spam back and she has a reflector on you
But you can easily get through a Din spam and AT's will help your game a lot.
Learn spam AT's like Arrow Cancel and ZAC.

#7 Lucario

Lucario is a great character. If you are having trouble fighting lucario I can understand. However, if you are having trouble getting past lucario's spam i don't.

Lucario charged aura sphere is deadly and big but it requires a charge so it is not spammable. Simply piss them off by letting it hit off your shield of dodge it. Piss them off even more by interrupting there charge with a simple arrow

Lucario has a decent spam with uncharged spheres. However, all of your projectiles have either equal or greater priority so it really shouldn't be that much of a problem.

You don't want to fight Lucario close because you will be chain grabbed and Lucario has great range. Take advantage of his low mobility sphere and use your own projectiles to heckle him.

Platforms help because your projectiles have more mobility so use them if you have them. If you don't have platforms and are on a course like FD, learn to speed up your projectiles by using arrow cancel techniques. Annoy him with full hoped double arrows and full hoped boomerang arrows.

Summery

Seriously, your spam is better than Lucario's so use it. fight him and a mid range/long range distance and watch your spacing. All your your projectiles have the same of better priority than his uncharged sphere spam.

Overall spam matchup
Advantage goes to Link
If you can speed up your projectiles with AT's it will help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#8 Ivysaur

Ivysaur has 1 projectile and it is pretty good. Razor leaf.

Ivysaur is dangerous to approach because of amazing range and bullet seed punishes missed moves. Therefore the best way to beat him is to spam. However, Ivysaurs spam has intresting priority that is worth going over.

In terms of priority

Razor leaf=uncharged arrow
Razor leaf=boomerang
Razor leaf>bomb
Razor leaf<zair.

Razor leafs actually go through bombs and make them explode so they are bad. Zair spam approach can be done but there are easier ways to beat the leaf thrower.

That leaves us with uncharged arrows and boomerang. Both of these will actually spam faster than Razor leaf.

Uncharged arrows out cancel razor leaf but because of the arc, razor leaf eventually gets past the arrows and leafs just have all around better range. Sorry Link, Stick to Arrow AT's like arrow cancel.

Fortunately there is some good news. The boomerang. Not only does it cancel out razor leafs but at mid range it is faster. Razor leafs and the Gale Boomerang cancel each other out. That means you don't have to wait for the Boomerang to return to throw another one. With the speed of the boomerang you should be able to inch closer to ivysaur every time you throw it as the projectiles cancel each other until you hit him. Congrats, you now have either forced Ivysaur to approach or mad the opponent mad enough to switch pokemon.

It makes me happy that Ivy has a worse recovery than Link being it a tether and all so go embarrass him with a gale guard or just hog the edge with zair. Get out there and own!

Summery

Ivysaur has a great spam but it is no match for the speed of the Gale Boomerang. Not only does you Boomerang come out faster, it travels faster so spam it and inch closer to hitting ivysaur as you cancel out his razor leafs. This is the best way because not only does it work well, it works really well when you consider the mobility of the gale boomerang. This is the best way I have found but other tactics such as zair and using arrow AT's have been found to work. Don't bother with bombs unless you intend to hit ivysaur as razor leaf out prioritizes them.

Overall spam matchup
Advantage: Link
Gale Boomerang FTW

#9 Wolf

Wolf is a better character than you. A good wolf will not spam his blaster and F-smashes all day. Wolf has a superior air game because his bair owns and so he will use his Blaster for spacing and for setups.

You however are also a spacing character. Keep out of his F-smash because it has nice range and speed. You'll want to use a lot of AT's in this matchup because wolf has a reflector and will shine a good amount of your projectiles back at you. If you do get in his fsmash range you can try to spot dodge > usmash. or shield grab. (I like the latter) Just watch out for that super quick d-smash of his.

It is important to understand this information

Link's arrows when standing goes straight over Wolf's blast. Same with the boomerang. They aren't affected, but so aren't his blasts.

The bombs while they can potentially go over the blast, can have a chance to go against Wolf's blast. They just so happen to cancel each other out.

The Wolf spam isn't much trouble. Just hop over and throw a bomb to mess up the rhythm, short hop arrows, or just throw the boomerang. I'd rather worry about the reflector.
Wolfs blaster shots are better than your arrows alone but if you combine it with arrow canceling you might be able to trade shots. Your boomerangs is not your friend but not your enemy either. Remember if shined. the boomerang will do no damage to you. (just don't use it when recovering, if he shines it your already bad recovery will become much worse.) Your boomerang isn't bad but just not as good as in other matchups. Bombs cancel blasters. His blasters are faster than most of your projectiles and since they go through each other (except bombs). Wolf also has a reflector so that means use bombs and Bomb AT's. This will lead him to not use his reflector as much which is when you can mix things like arrow canceling into your gamplay.

Stay out of the air as mentioned above. Don't fall for his one sided setup tactics. If he becomes reflector heavy throw a lot of bombs and use techniques like bomb sliding, ZAC, and bomb smashing to create some good mind games.

Wolf also has a DAC, not as good as Links but it is still good making the air even more dangerous.

Wolf also has a subpar recovery. remember to zair edge guard and **** it. Except for scaring, ya watch out for that one. (wolf goes through stage....cool)

Summery

Wolf, like Link is a spacing character that relies on his blaster, f-smashes for both spacing and setups. It is a strange matchups because Wolf's ideal spacing is only slightly different than links. Both of your recoveries suck balls and are taken advantage of easily. leading to a game that plays more on the ground. However wolf takes flight to dominate you in the air if he is successful in his setups. Wolf ideal spacing is also easier to manage than Links because wolf has nice setups. It is this and his air game that really gives a matchup advantage to wolf. But it is a much less advantage compared to say pit. In terms of projectiles, it is still close to even.

Overall spam matchup
Close to even. Maybe slight adv Wolf
Use AT's and mindgames to even it out. watch spacing X2

#10Samus

Seriously why does a character who blows in brawl about as much as link does so hard for Link?
Matchups.
On paper it looks bad but it really isn't

Zair lets get it out of the way. It ***** you. Samus's zair is so much better than links. Its like 1.5 the length of links zair and when recovering its like 2X's links tether. Don't try to play too much of a spaced game. your just asking to be zair ***** around the stage all day. I suppose you could air doge zair but did you forget???? Samus can air dodge zair too.....duh. After doing some research and testing this is the priority of her zair when matched up with your projectiles.

zair>arrows
zair>boomerang
zair=bombs ----bombs pass through zair they don't cancel each other out.

because her zair ***** so bad it means that she has a good spacing game......which leaves you with up close or ranged combat.

here are the priority of her projectiles matched up with yours. Thnx to those who did reaseach.

Bombs are definitely a godsend for Link. They go through a non-charged power beam, and missiles. After that, Bombs cancel out Super Missiles, and even a fully charged power beam.

Arrows not so much. They go through non-charged shots, and cancel out missiles and super missiles, but they're easily stopped by a fully charged power shot which doesn't get canceled.

It gets canceled by non-charged shot, and missiles, but just about everything else goes through it.
I will also add that a fully charge arrow cancels a fully charged shot.

Yeah, Z-air does cancel out missiles. Bombs are indeed the most reliable projectile in this match up. Fullhop Double Arrows are good at long range, but that's it.
Seriously the charge shot has become useless to samus in this game. and she barely uses bombs. The main thing you have to worry about is her zair and missles. Samus will only use the charge shot when she is sure she can hit. and the mighty hylian shield will just mock her charge shot anyway.

Similar to your fullhop double arrow and Double jump tripple arrow, Samus can full jump 2 seekers or double jump 3 seekers or 2 seekers and a super missile. The seekers will seek you making your spam become mobile and slightly less effective. Her projectiles both missles and charged shot have more range and are faster in most cases meaning she wins in a projectile battle.

This leads to close range combat. You will have to play aggressive to win. But it will be difficult.

Even at closer range, Samus is still dangerous. Her f-tilt is quick and gets you off. Her u-tilt has good range, good knockback, a little bit of start up lag (about as much as your f-tilt), and not too bad ending lag. Her d-tilt is a good vertical kill move at higher percents.
It is possible but hard as Samus has quick and powerful attacks such as d-tilt but because your attacks are disjointed you should have an advantage here.

By the way, Samus is hard to gimp because she has a good amount of recovery options. (Bombs grapple Screw attack)

Summery

Samus is able to space better with her superior zair and she has better projectiles suited for this match up making her a formidable opponent. Samus also have a good recovery making off stage fighting just has hard. This leads you with only a close combat game left which is probably where this game will go. Make sure you use bombs as they will be your friend thought the match.

Overall spam match up
Adv Samus
Go to close combat

=========================================================================

Characters still up for discussion and are done.
DDD
IC
PIT
OLIMAR
TOON LINK
ZELDA
LUCARIO
IVYSAUR
WOLF
DDD

Please realize that I am by far not the best link player so there will be others out there with more in depth analysis and better strategies than I and you may be one of them. Don't think that I am right just because I said it. These are strategies that have worked for me against specific playing styles and may not be effective against other styles.

Also please don't start a flame war but a few flames are fine

I promise we will get to falco soon he has an overwhelming spam.

Other characters that are coming up Discussion of upcoming characters is always helpful

Falco: includes avoiding laser lock situations

Snake

Fox?????? is he worth it???with a reflector it might be worth a mention
Pikachu....

Peach??????really easy to beat you decide if you want to talk about it.

Yoshi egg spam????--yoshi sucks but we can still talk about his spam.

Lucas

Rob-

others I may have forgotten.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
So you want to put Link's spam up against other character spam? Only DDD so far, huh. Well to be honest with you I think you'll want to keep your tips short and sweet. Learn from me. Majority of people will skip over your posts because it's long, despites your kindness to help :).

Here's one for you:

PIT

A good distance for Link to spam against Pit would be between far and mid distance. Don't use arrows too much, at least against a Pit that uses his shield. Bombs and Gale Boomerang patterns will beat out Pit's arrow spam.

Bombs has higher priority than Pit's arrows so it will absorb Pit's arrow and continue along it's path. The bomb's explosion seems to be able to go under Pit's shield at times and do damage so that's a plus.

Gale Boomerang will neutralize Pit's arrows. If reflected it will return as the Whirlwind and inflict no damage.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
I'm not ready to read everything right now, but you mention Dedede - his spam isn't very good to be honest. Boomerangs and Waddle Dee's cancel each other out. You can dash throw boomerangs and they will cancel any Waddle Dee's that he throws, and your lag from the boomerang toss is much less than his lag from his Waddle Dee throw. It allows you to approach for free, which will cause Dedede players to be wary of their Waddle usage.

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
Swordplay said:
-----I thought this would be a really good idea-----
Qft. Thank you for making this thread, I can't wait till it's full of useful info regarding the other characters on the list...

As for DDD, I find that always having a bomb in hand is helpful, because you can jump, throw your boomerang, then when you land, throw the bomb, which can get rid of waddle dees he may throw at you and possibly leave DDD open for a zair....

Swordplay

Smash Lord
We can continue to discuss DDD but I added Ice climbers today so we can discuss him as well.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
You forgot to mention how the bombs go through the waddle dee spam.
Can you throw a bomb farther than he can throw a waddle dee? Or are you saying you have to short hop.

If that is what your saying it is somewhat useful but DDD will just short hop his spam.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
DDD and IC are still open for discussion (dam chaingrabbers)

Pit is now open.

I need you guys to bounce some idea's around as I don't play a lot of pits.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
DDD and IC are still open for discussion (dam chaingrabbers)

Pit is now open.

I need you guys to bounce some idea's around as I don't play a lot of pits.

I have a friend who mains Pit, and let me tell you, not only does he spam arrows, he spams the freakin' angel ring also. Basically, a good way to fight Pit is somewhere midrange. When I fought my friend, I would use zair and bombs. Bottom line. But pretty much, I'm better than my friend in a close range fight, so my sword does most of the fighting, but for spamming purposes, yeah, bombs and zair As for the angel ring, he spams it so much that I can anticipate it coming, and either 1. Grab out of a shield or 2. Roll behind and punish. Zair works also when spaced correctly.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Olimar is next continue to discuss

I need input on this one. As I don't play a lot of olimar's (In the midwest Olimar mains practically don't exist)

What do you find is the best move for killing latched pikmin?
What out prioritizes pikmin.

___I've done some research and will start the guide soon.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I haven't fought a lot with Olimar, but I think Link can out-camp Olimar pretty much. Bombs,arrows, and rang should take care of the fight. Zair is not as effective due to Olimar's small size. I'll check more into this guy...

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Very nice swordplay, we should play again sometime.

im not sure, but i think a decently charged arrow will do the trick
I'm game anytime I am online (which is a lot) if you still have my friend code

OKAY GUYS WHO DO YOU WANT TO DO NEXT??

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Toon Link would be good.

Characters I want to do soon include because I find them interesting
Falco
Toon Link
Samus
Zelda

By the way KJ i watched the match you attached to your sig....Way to own that samus.

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
This may be off topic, but I noticed Zelda was on the list, so I figured I'd give my two cents...against Zelda I found that using SH'd nairs to cancel her din's fire works really well.

After I realized that, I could dominate my friend's Zelda pretty easily.

Edit: KJ, your Link is awesome. I think I just watched all of your youtube vids. haha. You did a bunch of things with projectiles that would really help me mix up my game....thanks.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I will do zelda next but for now Toon Link is up. I would like to hear your input as far as strategy goes. I'll be posting some of your strategy as well as my strategy tomorrow.

4Serial

Smash Lord
For Olimar f-tilt is good. I dunno about d-tilt. U-tilt is very good for this match up, since it puts Olimar in the air so he can't easily position himself for pikmin/smash attack spamming. It's a good killing move as well. I prefer f-tilt because it gets them off the edge and chances are, you can gimp his recovery. D-smash destroys grounded and roll spammy Olimars. I hate Olimars grabs and smashes.

I HATE TOON LINK
Pretty much Link but better in every way. I hate it. Better recovery, aerials, mobility on ground and air, better spam. The only is probably the weight difference. I don't know about finishers.. T.Link has f-smash and u-smash and u-air is okay. D-smash can kill. They're all pretty fast and don't have so much lag. And T.Link can rack up damage really quickly.

Toon Link can spam faster and better, he can gimp your recovery, and he can force your approach and beat it. It's hopeless for Link against a Toon Link that knows what he's doing. I don't think Link's Z-air works really well on T.Link. Just hope T.Link messes up a lot, try to do that Z-air > bomb thing and don't approach stupidly and so predictable about it. Full Hop Double Arrows might work well. Don't bother going out to edgeguard T.Link unless you're completely sure that d-air will hit. Go for vertical killers on him like d-air, u-air (which beats his d-air =D), u-tilt and d-smash.

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
As far as Zelda goes, like I said earlier, nair cancels her side b or din's fire, so I use that a lot. I'm not sure what other attacks cancel it, but I know there are others, but nair lasts long, and can be used when returning to the stage, etc. And sometimes I notice that Link's air dodge doesn't last long enough and I get hit by her fire anyway, so sex kick is your best bet.

This doesn't have to do with her spam, but I find bombs useful against her, mainly because even if she reflects them, sometimes they still blow up in her face. The boomerang is useful too for defense, and arrows work if she's trying to up b off stage, cause it interrupts her. One time on Yoshi's Island, I threw a rang at my friend's Zelda while she was sending her fire towards me, and the rang just barely didn't make it to her, but it pushed her off the edge (while she was in the side b animation) causing her to be unable to recover. lol

Overall, whenever she's trying to recover, I try and hit her before she disappears, otherwise, I try and edgehog in order to force her to land on the stage....(but in Brawl when she reappears, it hurts you, so be careful). I could go on about strategy against Zelda, but then this would just become a character match up thread, so....I'll stop here.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Your absolutely right about the nair. It owns zelda.

It also lead to interesting gameplay. ZAC to nair. throw the bomb right after. Just all around rapage..

I just have a few more moves to test like bair....I want to see what out prioritizes what...If anybody has more info before I put up zelda on Thursday please share.

Also I am really sorry I have been slow on updating characters (especially toon link and zelda). I have been recovering from surgery so until I get better I will be resting more which means less brawl time and less testing. As soon as I begin to get better (hopefully soon) things should speed up again.

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
Your absolutely right about the nair. It owns zelda.

It also lead to interesting gameplay. ZAC to nair. throw the bomb right after. Just all around rapage..

I just have a few more moves to test like bair....I want to see what out prioritizes what...If anybody has more info before I put up zelda on Thursday please share.

Also I am really sorry I have been slow on updating characters (especially toon link and zelda). I have been recovering from surgery so until I get better I will be resting more which means less brawl time and less testing. As soon as I begin to get better (hopefully soon) things should speed up again.
haha, at first I thought you misspelled rampage, but then I realized it was rapage (****-age), XDXDXD.

I never thought about ZAC nair, that'd be awesome, aka rapage.

No rush on the updates, physical health>this thread.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Who would you like to do next. I am thinking someone from this list
Falco
Samus
Lucario
Pikachu

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
Falco or Lucario.

Falco because I don't know good ways to out spam him, and Lucario because I could probably give some input on that matchup...

Swordplay

Smash Lord
After receiving help with and receiving this cool new sig......Thanks to Ekoix I plan to update this soon...any information available is great but if not I will update this withing a day or two. Remember Lucario is next

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
Sorry this is after the Lucario update, but here goes...

Overall I agree with what you (Swordplay) said about Link's spam vs Lucario's spam, but I think that something important to be aware of against Lucario is to try and not let him charge his spheres. When you get to high percentages, one fully charged sphere could mean the end for you, and his spheres get stronger as he takes more damage, so I recommend trying to hit him with an arrow (because it has the best range) or other projectile while he is charging it in order to reset the aura sphere. I know the Lucario could just shield or whatever, but if you do hit him, it's one less thing to worry about...

I think you can even "bounce" your dair on top of his spheres (I'm not sure about fully charged ones), as long as you don't get hit by them, which might be useful, but situational...mainly it just looks cool.

I played my friend's Lucario today, so I tried to remember everything I could, but that's all I can remember for now...

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I like to shoot them with arrows if they try to charge too.....but lmao.....a charged aura sphere is no match for the hylian shield.

I have been neglecting falco...(sry) because I am trying to get out there to play good ones to come up with strategies.
I am ****** falco's who suck with my link....ones that can't perfect SHDL.....the ones who can and spam it over and over are the worst I also don't have a lot of experience against these so yea.......Yet to figure something good out but I am working on it.

Next will probably be ivy....(dam razor leaf) or samus.... I don't know yet....

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Lucas/Ness----together or separate????

Rob---good character..has projectiles but really not a spammer
Both of these statements are rather funny.

Ness and Lucas's projectiles have some pretty varying effects, and Rob is widely considered a very effective spammer - though obviously not a traditional one.

Crow!

Smash Lord
For reference, Summary has no "e" in its spelling. Also, "Metagame" is misused in the title; you're analyzing Link's projectile game. Metagame refers to how you respond to the current state of things, particularly which characters are showing up on top of tourneys and how those players are being played.

Anyway, I take some offense at a claim that Link is campy, but it does remain true that against some characters he has the legitimate option to camp. Problem being that Link's long range attacking is substantially worse than that of many other characters - IMO Link greatly prefers medium range where Zair, Grab, DAC, or even just Dash Attack all threaten to suddenly hit the opponent if he misreads any of Link's projectiles or other actions.

A suggestion: In the list of characters studied so far, color code the characters to indicate neutral, advantage, or disadvantage for Link.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I do plan to do ness and lucas seperate.

I still question whether I want to do ROB. He is widely considered a great camper and spammer but It is a very slow spam. Slow and spam should never be in the same sentence.....

One of his projectiles requires time to recharge (the laser) so it can not be spammed.
The other (spinner) is a chargeable projectile. But you also have to either wait until it runs out or go get it off the ground and re throw it. ROB has a good projectile game but it is so non-traditional and slow (yet strong) I would just say that ROB has a great projectile game. Not a great spam game. There is a difference.

I have really neglected to update the bottom....I changed my mind about many of the characters as to which ones I would do but never got around to editing it.

Also, thnx for catching my terrible spelling mistake.

Also sorry I was on vacation. Ivy will probably be up tonight at latest Tuesday morning.

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
Regarding Ivy's razor leaf, I found that zair goes through it/cancels it, and hits Ivy as long as you do it closer to the ground, or with a bomb in hand and air dodge + A.

I'm not too sure about Link's projectiles vs. Ivy's leaves, but I definitely found zair useful against Ivy.

Ivy isnt a problem if frog-with-flower is pressured. At least i dont think so, maybe i hasnt beaten up any good PT:s.

yes rang double arrow is possible, you can even bombpull rang AC if you want... actually every move you can AC you can double jump > projectile > AC instead.

Edit: wolf was it, ehm, is his spam really as good as the wolf players want it to be or is it as bad as I think?

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Wolf spam isn't really all that good. Good wolfs use bair A LOT and most of there lasers are set ups involve lasers to allow for f-smash and bair situations. also approaching is dangerous because D-smash is a really quick and good defensive move. I will continue to research wolf and wait for discussion before i update.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I went up to training more and compared Link's projectiles against Wolf.

His spam isn't really good. Not only are the lasers slow, but they disappear when they get about a bit after halfway to the course.

Link's arrows when standing goes straight over Wolf's blast. Same with the boomerang. They aren't affected, but so aren't his blasts.

The bombs while they can potentially go over the blast, can have a chance to go against Wolf's blast. They just so happen to cancel each other out.

The Wolf spam isn't much trouble. Just hop over and throw a bomb to mess up the rhythm, short hop arrows, or just throw the boomerang. I'd rather worry about the reflector.

I cant say wolfs reflector is worrying me much. its slow cause instead of reflecting right away wolf does a kind spot dodge, making projectiles fast pass by(in links case arrows). Bombs cancels lasers, at least in the copies of brawl I have played.

Top Bottom