• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Matchup Thread

gallax

Smash Hero
Sonic

General Discussion:

Sonic is the fastest character in the game who has very little priority. The deadliest attacks to pika are sonics airiels, mostly his fair. Sonic airiels> pika's airiels, but pika's ground game>>sonic's ground game. Most sonic players deal with the low priority by playing a hit &run game. The intention is to disrupt you momentum/gameplay and force you into making a mistake in which they can capitalize on.

Pikachu's Advantages:

1.) can use a projectile(tjolt)
2.) skullbash can stop any of sonic spins
3.) thunder effectively discourages sonic players from using their spring/staying in the air
4.) fsmash has more range than sonic's
5.) dsmash is highly effective
6.) pika's recovery(QA) does not allow sonic to punish pika off the stage

Pikachu's Disadvantages:

1.) slower than sonic(same goes for every other charcter too though)
2.) sonics airiels> pika's airiels
3.) dsmash/thunder is outranged by tilts/fsmash

Strategy for Winning:

The main thing that people need to remember when fighting any good sonic player is that sonic need to get in close to attack to rack up damage. Pika has the luxury in this fight of having a projectile(tjolt). This move is excellent to use(FH tjolt) and spamming it would be a good idea. It can disrupt sonics momentum and it forces sonic to come in close. The best moves against fighting a sonic are pika'a dsmash/fsmash/tjolt/thunder. Skullbashing is useful if you see sonic charging up his spin too since it can cancel the spin if you hit it. Most sonic players agree that pika dsmash is one the hardest moves to get around and one of the best sonic killers other than thunder and fsmash. So by spamming tjolt, it leads to sonic getting closer to you, which means you should become more aggressive . Sonic's only defense (other than shielding and dodging) is to either use his spring recovery(SR) or to run away. If he runs away then feel free to spam tjolt again. When sonic uses his SR the best defense against this is the thunder. Sonic players tend to use their dair out of the spring or choose to FF back to the stage. Either way it gives you ample time to get under him and punish with thunder. Just make sure to watch out for the spring b/c it can cause up to 4% damage.

Some combo's that are effective against sonic are fair>dsmash, or a FFbair. Using the QAC to combo is used less in this matchup by most, but some players still use it nonetheless. The combo that should be used more often when fighting sonic is QAC>thunder. But this is mainly for sonics that have gone airiel. Sonics love to use the SR into an airiel(especially when you have been knocked up into the air), but but thundering you can discourage them form using this approach. If you do find that sonic has gotten underneath you, beware of the uair. It is one of sonic's best killing moves. Try to either dodge it or QA out of the way. Another move that you should try to avid is sonic's fair. It has good priority and can also be use as a killing move(mainly against opponents trying to recover). Keep the fight on the ground. Also, grabbing is not used as often in this matchup because it is more difficult to land a grab against sonic. His speed can get him out of range and back into range to get some free hits in.

Edgeguarding sonic is different than other's because sonics SR can bring him from the very bottom of the screen to the stage ledge in no time. He can even use it to get above you and use his dair to get back to the stage quickly. Sonic can also use his spins to bring him back to the stage. The best edgeguard for pika in this matchup...thunder! It is nearly impossible for sonics to get back to the stage without getting hit by thunder, so use it and use it often.

Video:

A better vid is coming.

Overall matchup:

Pikachu>> Sonic

Waddle Dee Army

Smash Apprentice
I never lost to Sonic with Pikachu. I am not sure why, but Sonic cannot win against Pikachu.

Pika25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pika250
3DS FC
0173-1819-2264
Pika even beats sonic at final smash. They are technically the same thing except Volt Tackle passes through solid walls; SuperSonic does not.

edit: but then again iirc, items, including "Smash Balls" are generally not used unless otherwise specified.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Last week, I got to play against Anther, and I gotta admit (partly from some stuff on the Sonic boards, too), most Sonic players will not know how to handle well-placed QAC's, since you can control where it lands, and moves rather quickly.

However, we also have many ways to cancel our moves, so you DON'T want to miss a Thunder or D-smash against a good Sonic. You'll get thrown into a spindash combo or a grab lol.

Sagen du Smash

Smash Journeyman
I really HATE this matchup. Getting Pika in the air is hard as hell when he's spamming electricity and thunder. Thunder was always broken, even in the first smash bros. It can kill Sonic at 60%! AAAGH! Also the stun if you get hit by thunder is ridiculous, its like 3 to 4 seconds that Pikachu can pretty much prepare any move he wants. This matchup is definitely in Pikas favor on the ground. In the air however, Sonic can beast Pikachu. Fair, Uair and Bair all pile on damage. But getting Pika there is really challenging. I don't have trouble against level 9 CPU's for the most part as Sonic (even MK). Guess which one I had problems with? XD

60-40 Pikachu's advantage. I'm amazed how kind the official rating is.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
getting pika in the air is hard because of his size too, most of sonic's attacks go somewhere other than pika, and his reliable kill moves are hard (er) to land, unless you know pika and play him too lol. one thing to watch out for is an u-smash edgequard while you (pika) ledge hop, the u-smash hits you and sets up comboz

edit: lol when i scrolled up, i saw the bottom of sonic's shoes, and thought it was an electrode haha

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Hmm, no wonder I used to think Sonic was a *****. Aside from just not having experience in the matchup, I was too aerial. =O

Played a Sonic or two recently, and I did a lot better. Thanks, guys!

Top Bottom