• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Techniques

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I was bored and seein ppl at CH3 were excited to watch my diddy i'll put this up.

Diddy Techs Playlist

First vid : Dribble and Double Dribble(DD)

U can go across the stage wih 1 banana if done properly. This is Dribble.

Double dribble is goin back and forth with 2 bananas. U can obviously see the potential here. This is what ppl in CH3 got hype over i guess.

Second vid: Banana Choke Chaingrab (BCC)

U can chaingrab a person across the stage with this technique. Being every character slides a different distance when released u have to space the banana and urself differently for each char.(luigi and wario are big examples)

Third vid: Monkey Flip Kick Cancel

U can cancel the lag of the kick if timed properly. Its basically L-cancelling but u have to land with the airdodge and not the kick.

Fourth vid just for fun: Diddy under Battlefield

Fifth vid: Special K Edgeguard

Ledge hop Banana Toss to reverse Peanut gun. Nuff said

Credit to HollaAtchaBoy for the name

Sixth vid: Monkey Flip and Banana Toss Boost and Semi-Boost

When you use those moves, it'll extend the distance of it. As for the Semi-boost, if u dash attack off stage and TAP down and b not HOLD down and b the banana will land on stage. if u HOLD it it'll hit the wall and go straight down which will work if anyone has to come straight to grab the ledge. Examples are in the vid

Seventh vid: Banana Wheel

Glide Toss backwards and forwards then follow up with a dash attack towards the banana. Simple i guess

U can see what i did.

Eighth Vid: True Windwill of Fury A.K.A Diddy Kong Racing LMAO

U basically do one string of Dash Attacks. IF done right, it juggles ppl especially heavyweights/fastfallers

Ninth Vid: Aerial Glide Toss and Airdodge to GlideToss

U can airdodge and glide toss upon landing, ALSO glide toss a banana already on the floor. Just hold down the airdodge button and follow up with the glide toss. For the banana already on the ground, Airdodge on top of it and do the same.

Tenth Vid: Dash Attack Grab Banana to Fsmash(while still holding banana)

Y'all love this one. When u dash attack to grab the banana, Hold A then press the cstick forward. Simple as that.

Eleventh Vid : Diddy Edgeguarding / Gimp

Basically get them off the stage and properly time the Monkey flip and either jump when u grab them or wait till they break out and footstool them.

Twelfth Vid: Diddy Counter

Just Charge Up-b when ur about to get hit. Example used. Mach Tornado.

Thirteenth Vid: Diddy Anti-Tornado Method

The Monkey Flip actually can break it with the grab part. The kick seems to ALWAYS break it. Key here. When u do the flip dont tap forward, hold forward. Reason why is when u hold forward it goes higher when flipping. Tapping forward causes diddy to go straight. Less chance of breakin it with a grab.

14th and last Vid i guess: Diddy Anti-Tornado Method 2

Simple spaced ftilt stops it.

15th : Peanut Gun Cancel Tricks and Uses

Cancelling the Peanut gun into various actions.

16th : B-Boosting with Diddy

Increases range of the monkey flip. Used for edgeguarding.

Diddys advanced barrel maneuver

I dont have a name yet but will think of one. U'll see me demonstrate what normally happens when diddy hits a wall. Of course its the same as any other character. He bounces off aka wall spike. BUT!!!! When diddy gets hit with his barrels out HE DOESNT BOUNCE OF THE WALL. If done properly U WILL NOT GET STAGE SPIKED WHILE GETTIN HIT.

If u have Questions just post.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I was more impressed with the single dribble, than the double dribble. I'd watched N4N3RZ DD back and forth a few times in his matches, but I've never seen it done with just one banana. That's amazing.

BBC looks mighty impressive as well. And not extremely broken because it's not infinite.

The monkey flip sees more use >.<

All going straight to the mega-sticky.
Thanks man >.<

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I have like 5 more techniques but i'll put them up later. Banana Toss Boost, Banana Kart,....thinkin of another name for this one,... Banana Wheel maybe (meh). I just put up Diddy Under Battelfield if that helps at all.

Bros229

Smash Cadet
i was wickedly impressed with the chain grab. this just totally enhaced my diddy game. my friend is on vacation. he doesnt know about it. so im gunna welcome him home with a unique cahin grab

Bug~

Smash Ace
when i glide toss..im too far to pick it up..which button to u hit after glide tossing to pick up the banana again

also, do u use c stick do release banana or A

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
It works best with the backwards glide toss. U just have to Press C-Stick Down and press A ASAP otherwise he'll slide too far.

IDK

Smash Lord
my comments on this: i knew you could do the double but never heard of single dribble. cool taunt maybe? or is it useful in battle? looks like it would be a useful technique for moving instead of running. maybe less tripping because its a GT (glide toss), or safer because of the banana in front of you. banana choke actually looked useful but could only be done very situationally. say the banana just happens to be on the other side of them and you land a grab. doesn't happen too often but good. the kick cancel is great because the lag is really annoying and i usually follow with a shield grab but sometimes at lower percentages they can still get me. you can also go under the stage on smashville by getting on the edge, tapping away, doing a forward b, jumping, then following with a precicely aimed upb. sorry for no paragraphs lol. oh... and an addition to this: lots of people do the c stick throw but that makes it fly full distance. if you just tap a for the throw it won't go as far, which can be useful for hitting someone off the stage to edgeguard if they are too close. there may be other uses. any ideas?

EDIT: wouldn't the banana choke CG be infinite on a wall? someone test? i know you can do banana infinite with two bananas on a wall with good timing, but this does more damage and is easier if possible.

IDK

Smash Lord
i was playing around with the banana choke last night and discovered a couple useful ways to set it up. they're both really the same and both useful. so: you have a banana in your hand, and either glide toss it to get right next to them after banana is thrown, or just plain throw if you're already there. roll to the other side of them quickly and grab them. begin the banana choke from here. also, i was trying to see if maybe this could lead to other strategies and i got a simple one that may lead to other people thinking of one even better. instead of grabbing, you could a combo, they slip, and you smash. that or somehow get them back to the banana to slip again. maybe a b or d throw at some percentages? lastly i wanted to say we think a lot alike because just last night i was thinking there should be some simple strategy to stop tornado spammers.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Well yes. I've done those things u said about the setups. I grab, they slip, dashattack uair. Etc

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I wonder if the thread deserves a sticky like someone else said. Maybe. Keep posting guys about any questions.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I said I was going to 'add your techniques to my megalist' >.<

Also, you should rename 'Kart Wheelies' to 'The True Windmill of Fury'
For lulz.

EDIT:
The techniques you've created yourself will get their own sections, whilst the pre-existing ones will serve to supplement pre-existing sections. (Of course you retain all credit for the creation of the videos regardless, which is something I've made sure to keep as accurate as possible).

Anyway

I managed to get down the single dribble. What makes it hard to do sometimes is that Diddy has a tendency to pivot after a backward glidetoss. So for people practicing it, at first you should try doing it by pressing the control stick as lightly as possible.

Aerial Glide Toss is simply too sexy.

In the mega thread I'll create sections for the tech's that constitute Diddy AT's, whilst the rest I'll kinda group together as 'NinjaLink's Tech Videos' in the video section.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Yea it seems to pivot alot and ya kno whats funny. Everytime i make a tech guide/video or whatnot i always discover new things. Half those things i found out in like 10 minutes WHILE RECORDING the other techs. I LOVE MECHANICS. I made a tech thing for the peach thread also. Peach is so broken its ridiculous. I think i have more diddy techs but i think u ppl had enough ^_^

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
didn't know about the dribble with one banana. looks pretty cool

denizen

Smash Apprentice
for the single dribble...i have no idea what to do after the first glide toss down (because i'm not close enough to the banana to grab it). any tips?

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
U have to do a backwards glide toss and once ur able to move u press A. He grabs it while still sliding. It also depends what frame u do the glide toss.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
Dribble?

First off I would like to say nice finds :) but none of that was actually new. Sorry but Florida technical smashers are on the hunt for new techs.

You can actually go back and forth (dribble) with one banana. You don't need 2 banana's to do that, just make sure you pivot and turn around after the second glide and you will be able to pick up the banana going the other way.

Oh yea, there was one thing, i didn't know. "That flip kick cancel" that actually is very useful technique. I would have never guessed there was enough time to air doge afterwards. LoLz it is like an L-Cancel.

- advent -

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Well i knew this stuff months ago. Just like FL i look for techs. I found out doin aerials with items day 1 in feb right after pound 3. I just dont feel like posting every find i know cause ppl tend to.......u kno....MEATRIDE

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
Meeeeeeeeeeeeeee 2 !!

Well I didn't figure out everything I know now, but I did figure out a lot of it.

And you just earned 3 cool points for saying something that I have been saying since melee days. Which is "just because i learn something new doesnt mean im going to run to the pc just to let the world know, u can call it lazyness but if someone doesnt figure it out in like a month or so then ill do the honors of putting it up." But most people i tell that to just dont understand that concept.

- advnt lee -

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Guess we're in the same boat. I see ppl take FOREVER to discover somethin i figured out in 10 minutes. i.e the link stuff. The dair cancel, zairing with a bomb, aerials with a bomb etc. That guy Izaw gets all the credit but not caring too much. I just kno i most likely found it first. Ask anyone in NY and they kno im the most technical and Broken person here for this game. Did u kno peach has a triangle jump like in melee ^_^

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Lots of great stuff here, some things to add/mention:

The Diddy Hump cancel is one of the method I use to pick up bananas.

I'm not sure what you mean by Peach's triangle jump, but in live play (not online, to hard to do **** online), I space a lot with short hops to fast falled airdodges, its quicker than short hop just fast falling (though works way better with characters like Falco).

You can make the jump under FD. I haven't seen anyone say that they've done it so I'll have to post a video, its way harder than the BF jump, I only get it like 1/30 tries.

I like your dribble technique, I hadn't thought of that. Your cartwheel nana technique I use, except I glide toss away forward throw, cartwheel pick up forward, rise and repeat, basically hounding the opponent with a barrage of bananas/cartwheels with spacing that leaves you just out of reach. I'm sure most of you guys do this to, its mad good though for those you haven't tried it.

AntiTornado: wow, I didn't know that the Diddy hump beat the nado sometimes. every once in awhile the kick worked for me but I couldn't get it consistently, the hump looks far more consistent/useful. I also didn't know the F-Tilt beat the nado, I had only been able to get it to cancel the nado (IE they clank), which is the same thing I have happen when I go anti-Nado with the B-Air (ie bair clanks nado).

If you went to CH3, how did you place/do? The last time I went to an MD/VA tournament everyone spent time watching my Diddy, and the last time I played Chu/Azen/Chillin (about 2 weeks ago) they were all stunned at the random techs Diddy has that they had never seen. We are such an under appreciated/under represented breed, but I do think its slowly changing. I already see a lot more people on gamebattles taking interest in Diddy, I think in part because of the Get Better Fast articles.

I also covered the other stutter step on GBF for Diddy which is basically using the extra momentum after a dash attack as a fake out. On top of that, sometimes I dash toward a banana, and instead of dash attack picking it up I'll slide (about half the distance of a glide toss) and pick it up. Not sure on the timing for it yet, but its mad useful when it happens sometimes lol. Some of you have likely done this, whats the timing/method for it? I've never tried to reproduce it because...well I rarely go into training to practice/test **** with Diddy any more.

And finally, as already posted, is that weird instant wall jump that I made a thread about. One day itll happen again and I'll save the replay/post a video and we can figure out what the hell is happening.

Great thread. Great to see this stuff posted in the open. Great to keep spreading the word on Diddy. For everyone that thinks Brawl isn't technical, I think they should give Diddy a try.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Nice double post. I can actually jump and instantly airdodge down while still goin up with peach. U have to float and instantly let go. U let u kno i dont main diddy or anyone for that matter. I use all 39 chars in the game. I played Azen and managed to take a set from him in a friendly and also 2 stocked Forte as well. Have yet to play Chillin. But i basically representing diddy mostly at CH3.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
i knew the ftilt broke the tornado before it hits max priority, and i had THOUGHT the hump would too, but i guess i was doing it wrong when i tested it. im happy to see i was doing it wrong :laugh:

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
The tornado doesnt change priority except like for the first 10 frames but i hit it after that. U basically have to space it thats all.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
wow, this was all very awesome and helpful. Makes me really want to start playing Brawl more so I can be a good Diddy player.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
Ninjapink I must say...this is a great diddy resource but you need to work on your organizational skills lmao. And plus you spelled "twelfth" wrong lol. Your first post is a mess...needz more cow bell IMO.

Just saying...maybe use some different colored fonts and mess around with different font sizes. Of course bigger for titles, smaller for subtitles and smallest for the description. ^_^

And also your Diddy < My Ike

kthnxbai that is all...

ESOJOSE

Smash Ace
Nice techs but the diddy choke chaingrab doesn't work. I've been doing that for a while but since diddy gets knocked back a bit after he lets go, your opponent can quickly (the only thing they can do to get out) role out before you get to him. I'll try it out some more and work on the timing to c if ur right. If so then I got a way to consistently get ur opp in the chaingrab.

Also for MKs tornado instead of trying to diddy hump him ( which is great), with diddy just hold ur up B so when the tornado hits u the barrels fly off and sometimes hit mk right off you and if they have enough damage it kills. They can die with mid damage if it happens cause tornado usually sends both of u up so when the barrels hit MK its easier for him to die

Finally, u weren't the ONLY one representing diddy at CH 3 myself and corcrn were repping the little monkey. Sadly though we didn't get out of our brackets which was a tough one. No johns ofcourse though on the other hand I did make a pretty good amount of money by mm with my little monkey.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Nice techs but the diddy choke chaingrab doesn't work. I've been doing that for a while but since diddy gets knocked back a bit after he lets go, your opponent can quickly (the only thing they can do to get out) role out before you get to him. I'll try it out some more and work on the timing to c if ur right. If so then I got a way to consistently get ur opp in the chaingrab.

Also for MKs tornado instead of trying to diddy hump him ( which is great), with diddy just hold ur up B so when the tornado hits u the barrels fly off and sometimes hit mk right off you and if they have enough damage it kills. They can die with mid damage if it happens cause tornado usually sends both of u up so when the barrels hit MK its easier for him to die

Finally, u weren't the ONLY one representing diddy at CH 3 myself and corcrn were repping the little monkey. Sadly though we didn't get out of our brackets which was a tough one. No johns ofcourse though on the other hand I did make a pretty good amount of money by mm with my little monkey.
If u watch all the vids i shown myself charging the barrels to counter the tornado so kinda no point in sayin this. The banana chaingrab. works. As i said u have to space urself in a way that u can grab again. I did this in tourney to a snake and meta knight. it works. Were u in pools with Azen?

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Update but not really. Potassium edgeguard is now the Special K Edgeguard. K for Kong. Credit to HollaAtchaBoy for the name lmao.

ESOJOSE

Smash Ace
If u watch all the vids i shown myself charging the barrels to counter the tornado so kinda no point in sayin this. The banana chaingrab. works. As i said u have to space urself in a way that u can grab again. I did this in tourney to a snake and meta knight. it works. Were u in pools with Azen?
My bad, about the tornado/barrels, I wasn't paying attention. Though I Know I've tried the chainthrowing before with spacing and it hasn't worked. Most people don't know bout it so when you do it to them, they start smashing buttons and don't think about roling so thats why it's easy to grab them again. Heck I use to do that to my bro until we realized rolling simply stopped it. Though like i said I'll give it another try when I get home tonight and c what happens. Yeah I was in the pool with Azen, I played like crap that pool (No johns of course)and deserved to get knocked out. Though once again i hope ur right bout the chaingrab....

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I was on the TV next to you. What color diddy was you? I saw one diddy tryin to copy and that aint cool LMAO.

ESOJOSE

Smash Ace
I was the purple diddy, though last i checked neither corcrn or I were copying ur style????? Imagine much????

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
No. One of u did the double jump double banana toss which i didnt see from either of u when i first came in......

Top Bottom