• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Matchup(Recently Updated 7/11/08)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallax

Smash Hero
Ike

General Discussion

Ike is a friend of marths who supposedly fights for his friends. He has one of the most powerful smashes in the game, coupled with very high priourty attacks all together. His powerful moves do come at a price of having lag time though. But, the ike community seems to have found other means of kill than using their smashes. This can be a difficult match for pika since pika is light, therefore easier to kill; Ike is fairly heavy, so he's harder to kill.

Pika's Advantages

1.) Has a projectile
2.) Faster moveset with less lag
3.) QA can give you up to 6% damage while letting you escape due to ike's startup time
4.) Recovery is hard to gimp
6.) Better airiel game
7.) Has the ability to chaingrab

Pika's Disadvantages

1.) A lot less priority
2.) No super armor
3.) Less range
4.) No counter
5.) Easier to kill due to light weight
6.) Ike fights for his friends, and unfortunately we aren't one.

Strategy for Winning

Playing Defensively

FIrst and foremost thing to remeber against Ike is to play defensively. There are horror stories of an aggressive pika that gets hits like 3-4 times and is already up to 70%+ and then dies. Try and stay away because it only takes one or two mistakes and you can lose a stock. The only type of aggression should come after Ike has completed a move and there is lag, when he has made a mistake, or when he is off the edge and you are edgeguarding. Spamming tjolt is a must in this matchup. But, Ike can cancel it with his jab so be sure to not be surprised when this happens.

Smashing

Most Ike's will not use their smashes a lot. Most of the time the smashes are used when they know that if they miss they will have time to recover without getting punished. That being said, if they do commit to a smash, wait until it ends and then go in for some attacks. Just do not go in their running and do a headbutt. It gives little damage and knocks ike back, while giving him the ability to punish you with a ftilt or AAA if you charge again. After the smash, grab>combo, fsmash, dsmash, fair>combo, or usmash>combo.

Ike's Weakness

Next thing to adress is ike's weakspot. Most people will say its his incredible lag. This is true. It is a huge weakness. But I am talking about where he is most vulnerable...which is from behind. Why? First thing is his AAA combo which has excellent startup time and builds up to 14%+ damage. Now ike's can canel their jabs and start up another jab combo, effectively hitting you 5/6/7 times. BE SURE TO DI AWAY FROM IKE WHEN GETTING HIT BY THE AAA COMBO. Next is his ftilt. Other than his smashes, this is his best kill move. It has has great range and little startup time. Lets talk about his quickdraw(>b) next. If you are unsuspecting, or if he just wants to get across the stage in no time, he can use this. The downside to this attack is that if he misses, he will be punished horribly. Be sure to either shield or spotdodge this. Or, if you can jump and get behind him, then do so because he is stuck in the quickdraw command until he lets go. More than likely he will let go and be on the other side of the stage. This means you have the advantage now because you have a projectile and are going to use it to no end. So if you decide to go in and attack ike from the front and do not get an attack in that has good knockback or 0 lag so you can immediately shield you will take a good punishment.

Getting behind Ike is great for you. The most common responses to this is either a dsmash, SH bair, fsmash(using the c-stick to turn around), or a retreat. The dsmash is easily dodged/shielded, the bair will not hit you unless you are in the air because you are so small, and the fsmash is slow/easily to get around and punish. Your options are great now. Do whatever it is that you want to do to ike. Fsmash(sweetspot), dsmash, grab>combo, etc...
Getting behind ike shouldn't be that difficult either. You have the QA at your disposal and you can roll around him.

Edgeguarding

As for edgeguarding ike, there are 2 recoveries to watch out for. The first is the quickdraw. This move is one of the most easily gimped recoveries in the game. You can jump out and let it hit you/airdodge it and ike will attack you and fall to his doom, or you can grab onto the edge if ike far enough away. If he is above you and has the ability to get onto the stage without grabbing, use your thunder. Don't let him get back without a fight.

The second means of recovery is his aether. More difficult to edgeguard because he has super armor and if you are hanging onto the edge without invincibility frames he will send you down towards your death while he holds onto the edge laughing. A few things that you can try are to thunder edgeguard by means of wavebouncing, using your tjolt to hit him away, or using you invinciliblity frames to grab the ledge. The first two strategies are the best. The third is for that occasional time when you are both off the edge and he uses his aeither but you use you QA to grab the ledge first and he falls to his death. A quick note with the tjolt is that it has been known to pierce his super armor and knock him back a bit. Other than these strategies, there is no other means of edgeguarding.

When ike is edgeguarding pika, it most likely will end in failure. Pika's QA is way too fast for ike. But if using your skullbash, be sure to watch for an eruption, dtilt, dair, or fair against you, and probably hit you. The dtilt and dair can spike so be sure to watch for it and react quick if you are hit.

There is one thing that you must know when fighting ike, its that he falls extremely fast. This knowledge lends way to hitting the ground faster than you and pulling off an AAA or another combo. Or it even lends to when he is off the edge and you follow. When this happens you can merely hit him with a nair or tjolt and he will fall down pretty quick and most likely die.

The Eruption

Next thing for discussion is his eruption. His eruption also has super armor too. So if using the skullbash, too bad because even if you hit him first, it will not matter because he will still hit you with the eruption which sends characters up high and kill them very easily. Most ike's use them when either in the air, on the edge, or when you are above them. If he uses it when in the air, use your thunder. Do no attack him whem he is using this in the air. Do NOT get above him because it will send you flying up to your death. If he is using it on the ground, wait till he uses it then attack, just like his smashes. It has terrible lag.

Ike's Airiels

The last thing for discussion are ike's airiels. Most important to ike's game. His nair has very little(if no lag) and can attack all around him(except fromabove). The fair is great for knockback and damage while having great range and terrible lag. The bair is a great killing move, little startup and little(if no) lag time. The dair can spike, but used not that much. And the uair, which is by far one of the most used killing moves other than smashes of course. The nair/ fair are used as offensive weapons. Most ike's use the nair more than the fair, due to lag times. Be sure no to rush in when the nair is used(it looks like he is swinging all around him). When he lands he will immediately go into the AAA combo or ftilt you, which hurts a lot. The fair is used to when you are recovering or if have just used a move that is laggy. If he uses it and hits you, then you can't do anything but recover. But, if he misses, you have ample time to attack. The uair is used when you are above him and he wants to hit you. He swings it like a helicopter blade, although it won't carry him like one, lol. But if you are hit by it you will be sent vertically up so be sure to airdodge or DI away from him. If hits be sure to Di towards the stage.

Helpful Video's

Soon to Come

Overall Matchup

Pika> Ike

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
Thanks for getting this up Gallax, should help...man im still sore from the Kirk matches I had, maybe I can win someday :p

gallax

Smash Hero
im trying to get vids. my computer is killin me though. i have some saved on a DVD FOR CRYING OUT OUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but no...my computer says unreadable....stupid.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
ya'll should play kirk still hes pretty good and he removed me from his friends list so i cant play him but Im sure you guys can O.o

Kirk

Smash Champion
I thought I told you before, but I just can't stand that lag that we had between us xD

It's nothing personal lol but I just don't find it fun to have to go through that :/

Me and galax should be playing tonight...maybe...hope they'll be fun matches.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
oh ok, well I'll try again when I go down to Tucson in the fall, and get good internet how's about that Kirk?

gallax

Smash Hero
hopefully. my connection is good. the last wifi match i had there was very little, if no, lag. marth and ike suck on wifi though. there really isnt any reason to play with them online to train.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Why did you bring this back???

If you want to brawl kirk or another Ike main either ask the Ike boards in the Ike finder thread or go look in the High Voltage clan and as none other than the one Ike main in the clan(me)

and..

Pikachu is my friend :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom