• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The FD Testing Thread. Issue 3: MOAR HITBOXES, Kill Percents & Diminishing Knockback

:034:

Smash Hero
Okay, rather than having separate threads on each of these things: I'll just compile one thread with all the **** I tested. I feel so important. Since Sliq and Jekyll are pretty much gone (busy with school, I think) and I have summer hoildays - I'll be your local tester for now. Just relay everything to me and I can test if you're too lazy. It's much preferred if you do it, but I won't hope for that.

Anyway. Let's get on with business.

Boost Smashing

Boost Smashing is the art of canceling your dash attack into an upsmash. For some characters, this results into a gigantic slide across the stage, most notable example being Snake (also known as mortar sliding), Link, Falco and Wolf. Any player who has been up against a good Snake has seen this in action. A Boost Smash is done by running, doing your dash attack and doing an upsmash immediately after. Recommended method is to use down on the c-stick and Z+Up immediately after.

Now, the 'Boost Smash' is available for everyone: but not everyone gets said boost from it. Ganondorf doesn't get a boost. However, try this out: if you're confident enough in boost smashing with Ganon (you should get a normal upsmash), stand in front of your opponent in training mode, and do an instant hyphen smash (tap left/right and slam c-stick up), but do it so your opponent is JUST out of range. I recommend using a stage with markings on the floor so you know where you were standing. Now, move back to that spot and do the Boost Smash. You should now be able to hit your opponent. Yes, ladies and gentlemen: Boost Smashing for Ganondorf exists, but it's such a small margin that it's practically useless.

Demonic Step

Here's something that's a bit more difficult to pull off: but VERY noticeable. The Demonic Step was discovered by UndrDog and it's a slide out of your sidestep. A very good one, I might add.

Video with Ganondorf doing the Demonic Step: Here.
Instructions (with Pit, but they're the same): Here.

Now, I've managed to get the slide to go a bit further than what UndrDog shows us, and it's very useful. Once you have the timing down, it's very easy to do. Quick step by step guide:

1. Sidestep.
2. Be sure to let go of the shield button.
3. Hold back during the duration of the sidestep.
4. Press forward when it ends.
5. Enjoy your Demonic Step.

The longer you manage to hold back, the longer your slide will be. If you see the turn-around: congratulations, you did it right. You can do anything out of this. Yes, anything. I don't know the absolute best uses for this right now, but you can easily go into jab or ftilt. See if you can combine it with a stutter stepped fsmash?

Testing to do:
- How this works with Murder Choke.
- How this works with Stutter Stepping.
- How far can you really go with this?

Methinks that this could very well be essential to Ganondorf's gameplay, seeing as how he hardly has any spacing techniques and anything that helps his range is good.

Shield Walking

Here's a video.

This is very easy to do and you will most likely get it almost right the first time.

What you do is tilt the control stick diagonally up (also works with left/right, but differently, sometimes you will do the Shield Walk and sometimes you'll stop in your tracks). Tap Jump doesn't need to be off. When you do this, simply tap R as portrayed in the video and you should be doing the Shield Walk. If you time this well, you can get from the left to the right side of Smashville when your shield breaks.

Obviously, this helps a lot for approaching against projectile spammers (most notably Falco). Of course you shouldn't approach with this alone, use your mindgames to mix it up. This is still helpful, though, since Shield Dashing (which is the origin of this) isn't fast enough to always work against the faster spammers among us.

Ways to mix it up:
- Use this then pop out with your dash attack/Murder Kick.
- Use this with Demonic Step.
- Use this with... any attack, really. You're walking, you can do anything out of it. Use your imagination.

Testing to do:
- Against who does this work best?
- Does timing need to change against certain characters?

Hitboxes!

Ranges of attacks are important: the more a hitbox is disjointed, the more useable the attack and the more priority it has.

The problem with testing is: Most of Ganon's aerials and his dash attack are movement, so I haven't finished testing yet. Remember that all these are estimates! Not concrete, perfect data.

Red = Hitbox
Blue = Sweetspot (purple on dtilt)
Purple = Grab

On to the good stuff:

Dark Dive:

So, what does this mean? Well...

- Fsmash has a CRAZY disjointed hitbox. It's pretty awesome. Don't forget you can angle it, too.
- Dair has disjoints on the side (but most of us knew this already).
- All of the Kick's purple smoke is hitbox, potentially being a sidestep punisher.
- Dark Uppercut has an INSANE hitbox and ledgegrab range.
- Ftilt does extend, but not as much as jab.
- Dsmash can hit some downed opponents.
- Warlock Punch ****ing sucks.
- Utilt's range ***** souls.
- Bair is... Weird.
- So is nair.
- Dair goes up to the chest, not the chin.
- Warlock Punch ****ing sucks...

So, which moves have the better range?

Horizontal:
1. Murder Kick
2. Dash Attack
3. Murder Choke
4. Utilt
5. Stutter stepped Fsmash
6. Fsmash
7. Dtilt
8. Jab
9. Dsmash hit 2.
10. Dsmash hit 1
11. Ftilt
12. Quake
13. Running grab
13. Usmash
15. Grab

Useless Autocancels

An autocancel is when you perform an aerial, and upon landing, you get no lag. Ganondorf has autocancel windows on ALL his aerials... Although nair's and fair's are useless.

By performing an aerial RIGHT before you hit the ground, the attack will be cancelled and you will suffer no lag. Easiest to do with the fair: you have to do it so that he will stick out his arm right before landing. Useless, but somewhat funny to see. Also, lagless fair jokes.

Platform Quake

The Quake is when you perform an aerial Murder Kick right after jumping... Step by step if you don't know yet:

1. Up on the control stick.
2. Down + B.

If you do it right, Ganondorf should slam into the ground, leaving lots of lag. This attack? Pretty much useless.

But, on a fall-through platform, you can easily whip this out and suprise an opponent that's coming to get you. All you have to do is down + B... But, with a slight catch. I'm not sure how it works, but I think you need to use down right before pressing B. That way, the 'fall through a platform' animation is triggered, making Ganondorf aerial, thus performing an aerial Murder Kick.

How much more useful is this than the usual Quake? Not a whole lot, but a bit more than the usual, seeing how there's a hitbox on the bottom, so it can possibly hit people through the platform? Vital technique that should be learned by everyone? Nah.

Swoops' Flame Choke to Dash Attack data!

Gerudo>iDA (instant Dash Attack) Data
---------------------
It seems to have the same startup and hit the same people as d-tilt, yet it is more susceptible to DI because the very beginning frames miss usually. I did the whole testing process in a very complicated manner, involving me, two controllers, and scotch tape.

Characters That Are Always Hit
:)

* Captain Falcon
* Charizard
* Diddy Kong
* Fox
* Ice Climbers
* Ike
* Ivysaur
* King Dedede
* Metaknight
* Olimar
* Peach
* Pikachu
* Pit
* ROB
* Sheik
* Sonic
* Toon Link
* Yoshi
* Zelda
* ZS Samus

Characters That Can DI in to Avoid

* Game & Watch
* Jigglypuff
* Kirby
* Lucas
* Luigi
* Mario
* Ness
* Squirtle
* Wario

The One Character That Has to DI Up or Away to Avoid

* Marth

*******s That Only Get Hit on GU Attack
:(

* Bowser
* Donkey Kong
* Falco
* Ganondorf
* Link
* Lucario
* Samus
* Snake
* Wolf

I did the testing a couple times through. Sets up for nice, guaranteed early kills, so this sh*t is **** good. I might test and put out a list of kill %'s for Gerudo>Shoulder before Gerudo lands, but I'm not sure...I might be lazy. It kills most <100%. There's a few like ROB, and DDD that only die after 100%. I know DDD dies at like 120%. Crazy guaranteed kills on MK :grin: (FD edit: 85% if saved)
---------------------
Did this like 2 months ago :p

Diminishing Knockback

Diminishing Knockback, Move Decay... It's not something we Ganon mains often worry about. After all, pretty much every move of ours is a killer. But, what about the move getting weaker? I've had some matches where I felt unable to kill, which might be alleviated to aforementioned problem of moves decaying.

It works like this:

- When you enter a match with a new stock (so at the very beginning and every time you die), all your moves are at Level 10.
- When using a move, it drops one level. The lowest is level 1, of course.
- The 'move decay list' is 9 moves long. When a move is not in this list, but it has been used once in that stock, it's level 9. A move can not be refreshed to level 10 without dying.

So, basically, the more you use a move in a row, the weaker it gets.

First of all: Kill percents for level 10 moves. This is calculated on a level 9 Mario in training mode, without DI.

• Jab: 183%
  • Ftilt: 123%
  • Dtilt: 136% (130% when sweetspotted)
  • Utilt: 42%
  • Fsmash: 74%
  • Usmash: 105% (85% when sweetspotted)
  • Dsmash: 123%
  • Dair: 88%
  • Dash Attack: 107%
  • Fair: 93%
  • Uair: 131%
  • Bair: 134% (when sweetspotted)
  • Nair: 190~
  • Warlock Punch: 26%
  • Aerial Wizard Kick: 93%

Level 9 kill list so far: (yeah, it's unfinished, move decay is hard to test man) Again, done on Mario without DI.

• Ftilt: 130% (does not decay much)
  • Dash Attack: 122% (decays A LOT)
  • Dair: 97% (decays A LOT)

As you can see, dair and DA decay heavily. What now? Well, it depends on who you're playing against, and your personal play style. Is the opponent small and/or hard to edgeguard? Save your Dash Attack and dair. Is your opponent big and heavy with a predictable recovery? Use Dash attack and dair if you want to. You can edgeguard with fair/uair for kills!

All depends on your own playstyle... I personally really like using dash attack as an approach and damaging move, but I save it against characters like Metaknight, to get off the easy DA>Shoulder kill at 85%... Think about it.

Remember kids, if you test stuff, ANYTHING, you might just find something gamebreaking for Ganondorf. And we'll have you to thank!
Now go find me a lagless SH fair, slaves!

Shameadactyl

Smash Cadet
I finally understand how the Demonic step works. If you need help testing, lemme know. I've got a few days off here and there coming up, so I'll have time to do it while I'm practicing up for my tourney. =)

Sliq

Smash Master
Flying Dutchman, you are the wind beneath my wings.

Smash Hero
Flying Dutchman, you are the wind beneath my wings.
You're welcome.

Shameadactyl said:
I finally understand how the Demonic step works. If you need help testing, lemme know. I've got a few days off here and there coming up, so I'll have time to do it while I'm practicing up for my tourney. =)
Any help is appreciated. Just check the list to see what you can do.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget that Sheik's Boost Smash goes longer than everyone's but Snakes ^___~ Hopefully a lag-less SH F-Air for Ganon will be developed, that move is so beast.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
In the bit of playing that I get to do, I haven't found a use for it. It's the same as walking forward out of the sidestep, but you start out backwards. Unlike Pit, who I think can keep some momentum while he's attacking out of this, Ganon just stops when you pull out an attack.

HOWEVER

Airdodging onto the stage from the ledge is golden. I'm trying to work that into my game more.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
^Watch out for the lag when you land after sweet-spotting/grabbing the ledge with UpB. That can definitely end up in a boo-boo for Ganon, but I think it's quick enough so they can't react that fast. Also, it's not incredibly useful because of all his lag after every single aerial, but you can ledge hop every one of his aerials (except nair) onto the stage. His aerials lag bad of course but it's still semi-useful. Plus it's badass to stomp a recovering opponent then land on the stage :p.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
^I hadn't realized that was what caused it, but I've definitely noticed it. Does that lag still happen if you airdodge from the ledge? I hadn't noticed it, but I normally drop and regrab the ledge or some BS a couple of times before I come on. I airdodge into a sidestep or D-tilt and it comes out almost instantly after I land...I'll try and check it out.

Sliq

Smash Master
^I hadn't realized that was what caused it, but I've definitely noticed it. Does that lag still happen if you airdodge from the ledge? I hadn't noticed it, but I normally drop and regrab the ledge or some BS a couple of times before I come on. I airdodge into a sidestep or D-tilt and it comes out almost instantly after I land...I'll try and check it out.
Where were you? We already figured this out. Anytime Ganon uses a special move and grab the edge, the next time he lands on the ground, REGARDLESS of what you do, you will suffer lag via the landing animation. If you fall from too high, or fast fall, you'll suffer roughly 30 frames of lag. If you short hop, you'll suffer like 12.

If you watch my latest matches, you'll see me short hop to get rid of the lag.

IF you land and do a move, the lag essentially disappears, but you have to handle the landing lag.

This happens to other characters, like Marth, but Marth can just fair and cancel the lag, since his fair has little lag. Ganon can not.

You need to be a more active forum goer.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
ROFL^^

I like this idea of the demonic step, and the name I'll see what I can find.

EDIT
um ok I can do a pathetic demonic step, I do turn around so I guess I have it right but it's soo short it's barely noticable. I'm following the steps and even doing it in 1/4 time but eh.

Also I did manage to stutter step F-smash and it looks like it works pretty well to cover more ground than a regular stutter step but I can't seem to make the Demonic step, I prefer G-step if that would be allowed for time sake and for the Capital G in the annodorf, to go as far in the vid.

tips?

E.M.

Smash Apprentice
The demonic step is useless. You can dash attack faster out of the spot dodge compared to performing a neutral A or ftilt or anything else out of the demonic step. I even tried it with pit and came to the same conclusion.

The demonic step only leaves you vulnerable.

Griffard

Smash Ace
I'm back from camp.. Just bumping this to tell you all where I've been.
oh man, I have marching band camp at my HS right now... DEATH! at least it's 95 freaking degrees out!
The demonic step is useless. You can dash attack faster out of the spot dodge compared to performing a neutral A or ftilt or anything else out of the demonic step. I even tried it with pit and came to the same conclusion.

The demonic step only leaves you vulnerable.
I thought so at first, but honestly it really does help for mindgames, and jab and ftilt out of it have been really good. Also, the way I do it for anyone who still needed help, I spotdodge, then after it i just flick reverse and forward quickly and it works fine. =]

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
Is lagless uair known? Seems basic to me, but makes him a whirlwind of death.

Smash Hero
Is lagless uair known? Seems basic to me, but makes him a whirlwind of death.
LOL, we're way ahead of ya, mate.

I'll be testing the Demonic Step in some friendlies today and we might get some recording. You'll immediately get to see some action and my Ganny (I'll probably lose though).

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
Sweet. I hope Ganon ends up being considered a counter to some high tiers eventually. Just look at the matchup charts. No respect for a character that can do 22 with one aerial! ONE!

Shadow Nataku

Smash Ace
As far as I can tell the maximum range I can get on the Demonic Step is around 1 and a half steps, only real useful thing I've found for it is getting in nearer to lay down a F-tilt. Other than that I pretty much came to the same conclusion its useless.

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
I don't know. Techs like this that seem useless at first often lead to other techs.

Griffard

Smash Ace
Sweet. I hope Ganon ends up being considered a counter to some high tiers eventually. Just look at the matchup charts. No respect for a character that can do 22 with one aerial! ONE!
Don't worry, the matchup charts are a joke.
Ganon has good matchups vs. Mario, Kirby, fatties, etc. Some people use him as a counterpick vs. Snake

Shameadactyl

Smash Cadet
I actually like to use the Murder quake as a combo component. It's good for starting a combo, or to use right after a choke. If I time it right, and i still need some practice with that, but landing it after the choke pops them up in the air right in front of you. If your opponents are sloppy like mine, they DI right back into you unwittingly and you Fsmash them for a 0 to 43% total combo.

But my opponents are sloppy. I'm off for more testing.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
You know, FJ n-air isn't useless at all considering it isn't an autocancel. You can double jump aerials out of it, like f-airs and u-airs, or you can get a ground level aerial gerudo. N-air walls (the second one actually is autocanceled I believe), n-air fakeouts into f-air or gerudo.

Gleam

Smash Ace
Amazing stuff FD, hope you don't mind if I put some of that stuff in the Tech Listings I'm doing. Of course you'll be getting credit an all that.

Smash Hero
You know, FJ n-air isn't useless at all considering it isn't an autocancel. You can double jump aerials out of it, like f-airs and u-airs, or you can get a ground level aerial gerudo. N-air walls (the second one actually is autocanceled I believe), n-air fakeouts into f-air or gerudo.
Serious? I thought it was an AC... Dammmnn, I'll need to test that out s'more.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Serious? I thought it was an AC... Dammmnn, I'll need to test that out s'more.
Yup, I've been messing around with it a lot lately and you get a lot of interesting stuff from it. Of course the first and most obvious is fake-outs which I've been using it as much as double jumps. They eat FJ n-air>DJ whatever/gerudo all day.

Something specific I've been working on is U-throw>FJ n-air at earlier percents. F*cks up any attempt they make at airdodge and still goes through many attacks. After the n-air you can DJ aerial follow up (fastfall) and land first usually. Seeing as you have the advantage when they are landing and you are on the ground due to landing lag frames, you can easily follow up with DA, Gerudo, f-tilt, or wizards kick. Of course this isn't a combo but it's a nice string of attacks that lead to nice damage and keep the opponent in a disadvantageous position.

Lol I really want to get back into the Ganon boards and help out, but I have so much stuff going on right now. Excuses, excuses I know, but still. Plus I would love to get into the tourney scene to rep Ganon but I live in f*cking Arizona where Brawl doesn't exist apparently. But I could easily make a guide and I would love to write some stuff up including implementation of reverse buffering and what have you.

It also makes me sad that Gerudo>DA data isn't posted anywhere.

Smash Hero
Awesome, I'll have to test that out against Empy this Sunday...

I would post Choke -> DA data, but I'm not coordinated enough to calculate it for all the buffering your opponent can do. :/

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Gerudo>iDA (instant Dash Attack) Data
---------------------
It seems to have the same startup and hit the same people as d-tilt, yet it is more susceptible to DI because the very beginning frames miss usually. I did the whole testing process in a very complicated manner, involving me, two controllers, and scotch tape.

Characters That Are Always Hit
:)

* Captain Falcon
* Charizard
* Diddy Kong
* Fox
* Ice Climbers
* Ike
* Ivysaur
* King Dedede
* Metaknight
* Olimar
* Peach
* Pikachu
* Pit
* ROB
* Sheik
* Sonic
* Toon Link
* Yoshi
* Zelda
* ZS Samus

Characters That Can DI in to Avoid

* Game & Watch
* Jigglypuff
* Kirby
* Lucas
* Luigi
* Mario
* Ness
* Squirtle
* Wario

The One Character That Has to DI Up or Away to Avoid

* Marth

*******s That Only Get Hit on GU Attack
:(

* Bowser
* Donkey Kong
* Falco
* Ganondorf
* Link
* Lucario
* Samus
* Snake
* Wolf

I did the testing a couple times through. Sets up for nice, guaranteed early kills, so this sh*t is **** good. I might test and put out a list of kill %'s for Gerudo>Shoulder before Gerudo lands, but I'm not sure...I might be lazy. It kills most <100%. There's a few like ROB, and DDD that only die after 100%. I know DDD dies at like 120%. Crazy guaranteed kills on MK :grin:
---------------------
Did this like 2 months ago :p

Tingle_Stole_My_Pants

Smash Apprentice
Figured I should point this out: Up-tilt DOES have a sweet spot. However, it's rediculously hard to get the 'sourspot' because of the vacuum effect.

Sweetspot does 27% while sourspot seems to do 19-17%. As for knockback, sweetspot sends them horizontal crazy distances, while sourspot sends them vertical.

Like I said, the huge vacuum field in the uptilt makes it nearly impossible to actually miss the sweetspot, but if you can get them on the very edge of the vacuum zone, it will guarantee a sourspot.

Although the only time I ever use uptilt is to mess with zoning, but hey. Data is data.

theEffinBear

Smash Apprentice
To clarify a little about the u-tilt:
Yeah, there are actually three different hitboxes on GDorf's u-tilt. The close one does 27%, which occurs if they're hit by the explosion and are in range of Ganon's leg. The medium one is a very specific distance, right at the end of Ganon's foot, and does 19%. The far hitbox is beyond the medium hitbox, doing 17%. I haven't really noticed much of a difference in knockback between the 17% and the 19% hits, though obviously (as said before) they both hit straight upwards with moderate knockback, while the 27% hitbox hits diagonally and much harder. The 17% hitbox easily happens if you use the u-tilt at the right distance from the ledge whilst edgeguarding and they either stay on the edge or try to roll or attack from it.

If someone has the patience and time, it would be awesome to figure out guaranteed followups off the Flying Murder Choke. I do know that most (all?) getup attacks will interrupt an attempted d-air, so I'm wondering what (if anything) is actually guaranteed and what is useable as mixups.

/RtEB

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Hey FD, I'm not sure how you got the hitboxes, or if there just general hitboxes you got by looking at the moves, but I'd actually like to see some more of it.

I could bribe you...
....like with an e-cookie.

Smash Hero
It's pretty easy to do, just training mode, take a stage that has markings on it. I use Smashville, which has very tiny lines, perfect for precise standing. Then put a CPU to 'Control' and just move it closer, then do an attack... then see how far it goes. Test this about 5 times until you get it about right. Take note of percentages and directions sent (for sweetspot mechanics). A lot of it is also just purely game experience (fsmash is hard to test because of the whole 'moving forward' thing, it's hard to see whether it's just him moving forward or the hitbox).

It's not taken from game data so it's not super-precise data. They are (fairly reliable) estimates, to give you a rough idea of how good/bad a hitbox is.

Basically I just want people to know that dair, fsmash, utilt, jab and dtilt have crazy hitboxes. :p

theEffinBear

Smash Apprentice
The d-tilt has a sweetspot at Ganon's foot, and will kill significantly earlier there -- around 15 or 20% earlier iirc, though I don't remember exactly. It may or may not deal more damage at the sweetspot (I have forgotten that also), but the increased knockback is fairly noticeable.

For finding the f-smash distance, you could place him at the edge of the stage by back-rolling and slowly decrease the range by moving your smash test dummy (resetting Ganon's position with another back-roll each time). I think this would even work with all three stutter-steps.

GOOD LUCK.
/RtEB

Top Bottom