• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike is so annoying

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
I used to think Ike was an easy matchup. But I've lost to like 4 Ike's in a orw. The main thing that annoys me is A,A,A. It has ridiculous priority, and does good damage. Then it's u-smash/F-smash, which I fall for all to easily. Ike seems to outrange everything i can throw at him :mad: I know he's so obviously predictable, but i keep falling for it because he out ranges me. And dont sya "use bair" because it doesnt help as much in practice than on paper
Help

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Just be careful up close as jab combo will beat out a lot of your moves. You can always try to UpB or punch SA through it, just try to do it as a prediction rather than a reaction. Also, if you're playing an Ike who doesn't hit confrim the first two hits, you can shield the first hit then roll behind him for a free punish while he finishes the string.

For Usmash/Fsmash, just block/dodge and punish. Know when you're in range of his attacks. If you're in his range but out of yours, don't try to attack him. You'll either have to get in closer or defend then try to attack.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
go for little fast moves, aa combo is great, also, you're bair beats his air game, and you ftilt will beat 99% of his groundgame (the part not named fsmash

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
True
Maybe it just becuase i play online(not with anyone) And the sheild doesnt come out fast enough when i land to avoid the f-smash

Tenki

Smash Hero
True
Maybe it just becuase i play online(not with anyone) And the sheild doesnt come out fast enough when i land to avoid the f-smash
l2p online

hold shield as you land >_>

if it's not working, then you just got landinglag-pwnd.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If you're jumping towards Ike when he's doing his smash attacks that's definately your biggest mistake. Don't DI towards him, let him come to you. From my best experience, sheilding most of Ike's attacks will basically result in a free hit because, except for his nair, bair, and a quickdraw that doesn't hit, he has a lot of lag on his attacks. Also, don't complain about Ike's range; you're playing as DK for God's sake. If you are truly having trouble with his range, use DK's dtilt more. It has crazy range, is relatively quick, and has virtually no lag.

Really, fighting Ike requires patience and capitalizing on his mistakes. Also, once Ike's off the stage, he's virtually dead when fighting like 90% of the cast so keep that in mind. If he tries to recover using quickdraw just jump in front of him and take the hit if you're percentage is low enough or try to time an airdodge.

5yphon

Smash Cadet
DK can gimp ike really easily just bair him off the stage and then do the upb ledge stall when he comes with his recovery UPB dominates ike

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Use DK's AA combo and use nair a lot. Just out speed him on everything. You really have to watch out for Forward Smash because it can kill even DK at around 80%. Since Ike is slow you can usually land a few side-b's so keep that in mind.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
If Ike uses sideB, shield it, take the tiniest step forward and use your sideB. Timing is a BIT tricky on wifi but if you shield that move you can always get in a sideB. They will quickly learn to quit using that move.

The Unlawful Salmon

Smash Cadet
Basically everything they said is about all you need to know. Ike is a pretty easy match-up for DK.

Only thing I can add is always avoid his Usmash. It has a wider range than it appears to, and DK has a bigger hitbox than he appears to. :lick:

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
It amazes me that nobody has mentioned down+b yet. I'm pretty sure that move has more range than all of Ike's attacks. Sets up perfectly for up tilt combos or a wall of bairs.

Omega Deman

Smash Apprentice
It amazes me that nobody has mentioned down+b yet. I'm pretty sure that move has more range than all of Ike's attacks. Sets up perfectly for up tilt combos or a wall of bairs.
It sorta depends on the skill level of the ike you are playing. But I do agree, the down B is good even if Ike is just out of your range as he may attempt to jump and Fair you. In addition, don't continueously Down B. Just do it in spurts as it leaves you open for punishment.

IKE_Angel

Smash Journeyman
i saw this on the character discssions now that i think of it my ike has never barley loses agaisnt dk the only time was when he kept grabbing me and through me at FD

Omega Deman

Smash Apprentice
Admittantly, Ike is a nuisance when he zones with Fair to an immediate A, A jab check. Fortunately, it only takes DK 1 or 2 backthrows off the stage followed by multiple Bairs to get rid of him.

Moldorm

Smash Rookie
I don't have much trouble dodging Ike's smashes. I spotdodge/airdodge it and follow up with a dsmash or backthrow.

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
lol this is funny, considering that i played both ook and ripple offline, and they seriously think it's in ikes favor... Play my ike with your dk and see how long you last.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Down B kinda works. Although Ikes like to come in with forward air and since DK has ending lag on the down b your left open to get hit.

Just cargo them off stage and GG as Ultimate Drago said.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i honestly dont find DK to have a real advantage on Ike (overall)

(that was a bad ike in the vid)

Ike can Jab-cancel lock DK (while moving forward) w/ A, A, A, A,...or AA, AA, AA, AA, etc...varying it depending on how DK is DIing, and finish w/ the 3rd hit when DK is DIing all the way away for a great finish to the KO.
Realistically, if you're caught badly w/ it, you can take 30 or more damage (starting from JUST a jab). And he has a very easy time getting DK w/ it, while DK has a horrible time getting out.

Without it, easily DK's favor, but it deffinately tips the balance back to something close to an even match.

I learned this from my set w/ Mr.Doom's Ike at Oh Snap. He 2-0ed me in pools. I was simply dumbfounded at how effective it was on me.

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
Ike has the jab (I dunno who resurrected this thread) but DK has bair

All day. You put on the pressure just by hitting with the tip of the foot, but leaving some space. The worst case scenario is that your attack gets perfect shielded. But you'll force shield pressure, which can lead into a headbutt ->whatever.

It's how I won against Rykoshet (though he didn't play his best) at COT4. You have to use your foot. And I agree with Cyphus, the jab-cancelling is devastating on heavy characters like DK and Booser.

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
I'm pretty sure you could ftilt that, but I'll check. And yes it is hard to punish.

omg I'm playing brawl right now, trying to figure out new stuff and it's amazing.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
i honestly dont find DK to have a real advantage on Ike (overall)

(that was a bad ike in the vid)

Ike can Jab-cancel lock DK (while moving forward) w/ A, A, A, A,...or AA, AA, AA, AA, etc...varying it depending on how DK is DIing, and finish w/ the 3rd hit when DK is DIing all the way away for a great finish to the KO.
Realistically, if you're caught badly w/ it, you can take 30 or more damage (starting from JUST a jab). And he has a very easy time getting DK w/ it, while DK has a horrible time getting out.

Without it, easily DK's favor, but it deffinately tips the balance back to something close to an even match.

I learned this from my set w/ Mr.Doom's Ike at Oh Snap. He 2-0ed me in pools. I was simply dumbfounded at how effective it was on me.
yeah he is really bad, i've played against better ikes but that was the only actual vid i have uploaded. i've gotta get back to recording matches.

D0N

Smash Ace
punish the landing lag. It's not brawl+ so everything Ike does in terms of the air is still punishable.
A full hopped f-air will still hit DK since he is so big and has 0 landing lag. Its pretty annoying if the Ike can space. N-air has a little landing lag, but its not much. It may be punishable, I cannot remember. And then a reversed up-b on the ledge can spike DK out of his recovery unless your really high up.

Ultimo some ike ressurected this thread to say he could beat DKs with Ike... About a year after the threads had died. Now its turning into a matchup export discussion it seems like...

Top Bottom