• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikmin Desync Deciphered (First vid up!)

shanus

Smash Hero
Hey guys, so as many of you have seen in the other thread first observed by Weruop, I've figured out a way to do ranged upsmashes on opponents with the desync technique. It seems fairly situational but pretty cool. Thanks to HollaAtchaBoy I got my first replay online and have another back on my computer at home. I have like 5 more replays saved on different characters as well as replays saved of me doing this with multiple pikmin in my line.

Since this was my first replay it takes me some tries to get it to work (mind you I am playing with two controllers here), so bear with me on like the first 55 seconds or so haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pSQAN7mXts

So the spacing for this is critical. If your too close your pikmin will teleport to you (i.e. about 3/4 a rolls distance away) and too far, it seems not to work (needs more exploring). Seems that there is a couple frame window for this to work, as I'll explain in the next paragraph.

With about 20 min of practice I can do it in about 1 in 5 tries on different characters. I have yet to try it with different color pikmin and have yet to try it with different smash attacks. Also, another interesting thing is that there is a window for this to be performed. I have actually gotten the pikmin to do the upsmash far enough away from the character to not even hit the character, so it makes me think that there is growing potential in this technique.

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
wow! that's totally awesome. so you just wait for him to come back and use the Usmash while he's walking? How did you do it with more pikmin in the line? post more videos and more explanationssss

You get the gold star for today.

shanus

Smash Hero
Ok so your pikmin needs to be interrupted on his return. So if you say throw a pikmin out who will be your first in line and on his return your opponent hits him a certain distance away from you, you can upsmash his face in! That distance /timing is what I'm demonstrating in this video. In terms of multiple pikmin, i had 2 purples out. I threw them both at the opponent and when the first was returning i made mario hit it, desync'd it and upsmashed his face in while the second pikmin came right back to me through it all.

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
hmm, so the opponent has to hit the pikmin (and have it not die) to be able to use it to attack them? that could be a little bit tough, but it reminds me of stupid people on other characters' boards who advise attacking pikmin after Olimar throws/uses them as if he would somehow run out.

i could see it working well and being a huge boon for Olimar, but it seems to depend a bit on help from the opponent now. am i reading this right?

shanus

Smash Hero
yeah, it could be useful if you sort of mindgamed your opponent into it. That or it will strike fear into your opponents attacking your pikmin which is also a good thing. I'd imagine this will have some uses, but not like nonstop usage. I have some ideas to see if the whistle might be able to cause this to happen, but i have to explore that a bit further because it prolly won't work

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
Have you managed to actually replicate something similar to the original Pikmin Desync video? Are you sure that this is the same kind of desync? This is awesome, but that other desync video seemed awesomer. Can you roll while doing this? Sorry I have alot of questions :/

Nonetheless, props man. More than I could do.

shanus

Smash Hero
Kyas, probably, i havent tried to do anything fancier yet because i was doing this on my own playing with two controllers. The fanciest ive done is two pikmin and desyncing. Mind you ive only done this for 30 mins max to do this all reproducibly business

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
great progress man. I'll try to do this some and maybe find an easier method. So it's all about spacing eh?

phate

Smash Apprentice
Wow thats pretty cool. Of course I don't really play olimar but good job. It's nice to see someone on the smashboards who isn't ********.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Phate my friend, you have obviously not been to the Olimar boards enough. Shanus this is a great discovery, however in the original video didn't Diddy hit the yellow Pikmin?

Which made the Purple Pikmin use the Usmash from where it was standing, or was it the Dash Attack that his the Purple Pikmin when Olimar rolled and then he used an Usmash after the roll maybe we should just go ask Sakurai, he is the one who decided to break Brawl.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
well...i have bad news...i just split open my finger, so i won't be doing anything with this today...but i'll try later when i can...this is really cool though.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
about usefulness, i think u could pikmin spam them, which would make them come in since you would have no pikmin left, then do the pikmin desynced u-smash (is there a name for this)

or make sure you have your first pikmin get his when someone does a dash atk (like the original video)

but these are just ideas.... i knew the pikmin had to be hit for this to work :p

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice
Finally some progress. Great work. Like everyone else, I'll be messing around with this. Who knows what else might be discovered.

asob4

Smash Champion
this is really interesting
i hope we find a way to just straight up replicate it with out any help from the opponent

Snail

Smash Lord
Interesting... If we can somehow get this to work consistently and let our Pikmin execute attacks from a distance without help from our opponents... that would be fantastic. As of now, it seems rather situational and I can't see myself using it often but either way, it's some progress :D Good job!

shanus

Smash Hero
so i made another interesting find. as expected, you can do this out of pikmin thrown from smash attacks. what i found most interesting (i only have gotten this to work once, so its hard), is that i coudl downsmash and when i had mario punch at a certain time to hit the pikmin during it, i upsmashed his face in from a distance.... it was pretty nifty, but i cant figure out the timing / spacing

Puddin

Smash Lord
Yo guys, moar news from the home front... whatever that means, by now everyone involved with the Pikmin Slide project should have seen my post about making the Pikmin slide by Whistle canceling a dash, if that is the correct term for it :ohwell: but I was in training mode and discovered that Short Hopping during a dash and using the Whistle immediately afterwards will make the Pikmin slide as well, and get them all jumbled up in the air.

Obviously you'd have to see the advantages to Short Hopping instead of stopping the Dash with a Whistle, or maybe there are none...maybe it's just me... I dunno, decide for yourselves and look into it.

shanus

Smash Hero
so i made another interesting find. as expected, you can do this out of pikmin thrown from smash attacks. what i found most interesting (i only have gotten this to work once, so its hard), is that i coudl downsmash and when i had mario punch at a certain time to hit the pikmin during it, i upsmashed his face in from a distance.... it was pretty nifty, but i cant figure out the timing / spacing
so i've done this again a couple more times, alas in training mode and not on replay yet. We need more people exploring this stuff!

asob4

Smash Champion
i would help, but i'm extremely lazy >_>

and i'm more concerned about finding a way to san diego this weekend

TheDuplexDuo

Smash Journeyman
Wow! Amazing find! I think I'm goin' to help you research this. If I find anything I'll be sure to post back. I wonder about three things;
1) Distance
2 Does it need to be hit?
3) Direction Olimar is facing

Now you'll see everyone online use only one pikmin, lol
:bee: Weeks ahead of ya mah boi!

Jartravious

Smash Journeyman
this is full of epicness

i think we should see what someone who can do the ice climbers desynch has to say about this because there is defiantly a possibility of similarities between the two

shanus

Smash Hero
Wow! Amazing find! I think I'm goin' to help you research this. If I find anything I'll be sure to post back. I wonder about three things;
1) Distance
2 Does it need to be hit?
3) Direction Olimar is facing

:bee: Weeks ahead of ya mah boi!
direction olimar is facing doesn't matter. The distance seems to be crucial, about 3/4 of a roll length/around a dsmash length away from olimar. I have yet to make it work at any other distance. Every sign so far points to yes that the pikmin needs to be hit..

RichBrown

Smash Master
So I've taken quite an interest in this over the past couple days. Unfortunately I don't even own a Wii (I'm constantly at a friend's house playing) so I don't really have an opportunity to just sit down and try to hammer this out.

From what I've gleaned, so far this appears to be a very situational move in which 1. The pikmin has to be a certain distance away from you, 2. your opponent has to hit the pikmin, and 3. the timing on the Usmash must be spot on. quite situational.

However, I was watching the Diddy-Olimar video for the thousandth time, and I realized that while it's been touched upon, nobody has really investigated how Olimar seemed to perform the Usmash while rolling, or at least immediately after rolling. In the video there is a major distance between Oli and his purple pikmin as well. I would really love to know if it is actually possible to do upsmash while rolling, because if it is, I'm gonna be mashing up on my C-stick everytime I roll. This also seems to have a lot more use too, because even if it is still a little random and luck based, the Oli player really has nothing to lose if he chooses to dodge and then just mash C-stick during the dodge hoping to get lucky.

Somebody help the Wii-less dude with a theory, please ^_^

Fino

Smash Master
Just thought of this. I know some of you are saying this is situational, but I'd like to see:
Your opponent is approaching and you toss a pikmin over his head. he comes at you as you shield and roll, he instead his your pikmin and then gets usmashed. Idk, just trying to think of some uses. I'll try working on it some too shanus... great find.

~Fino

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Noting some stuff this depends alot who your opponet is for example it'll be quite easier to do to a DK, than a Samus.

I've done this a couple time but how do you reason this can be used like Nana, it seems it's just not going to be able to more than just one move, because after the mmove it jumps right back to you.

shanus

Smash Hero
yeah its just for one move, but ive done it several times from a downsmash into a ranged upsmash. Tha can be quite sexy for sure :-)

Fino

Smash Master
Hey, loved watching this video multiple times and what not, but you said you had 3 replays or videos you needed to get up.... just curious when you'll get those up, I'm sure they're just as intriguing.
Thanks

~Fino

shanus

Smash Hero
Hey, loved watching this video multiple times and what not, but you said you had 3 replays or videos you needed to get up.... just curious when you'll get those up, I'm sure they're just as intriguing.
Thanks

~Fino
I'll bug my roommate when I come back to providence tomorrow. That or upload a couple of 2 minute videos.

iceclimbersinfinent

Smash Apprentice
wait, wouldn't this be impossible to do with a full line of pikmin? he only controls one at a time and when the other one is gone the other just steps right up to be thrown, i also use olimar

Top Bottom