• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The MAGNIFICENT D-TILT & The LEDGE N-AIR

noobslayer

Smash Apprentice
Good evening, Ike Boards.

Today I made some fairly nifty discoveries. First, the Dtilt.

We all know how the Dtilt works; it has about the range of Ike's jab (maybe a bit more), it spikes opponents, thus sending them straight up when on the ground, and straight down when past the ledge. From time to time I've used it and I've sent my opponent in a horizontal arc. I didn't think it was particularly important, and so never looked into it.

It's AWESOME.

Regardless of what this thread about, the Dtilt spike has become increasingly more useful for me. I'm incorporating Jab > Dtilt at the edge more and more, and it's working well.
Use it.

Now for what this is about - the Dtilt has a second hitbox at the HILT of Ike's sword. Through about an hour of testing I figured out this:

-The hilt hitbox needs to land inside of an opponent to hit them horizontally, similar to Jigglypuff's rest, though not nearly as hard due the hitbox not being Ike's body.

-For most characters, all you need to do is get very close to them to hit with this; certainly not hard in any way.

-The reason I deduced point #1 however, is that it won't hit the characters with the widest (fattest, lol?) body areas. These characters are Bowser, Donkey Kong, King Dedede, Kirby, Metaknight, and Wario.

-It will ONLY hit Link and Yoshi from behind. Perhaps the 'inside' is closer to their backs?

-The hilt Dtilt will actually hit any character, but the wider ones need to be in the air ever so slightly above Ike, which would be diffult to set up consistently.

-Last but certainly not least, the hilt Dtilt is Ike's strongest KO move besides Eruption and Fsmash. That's right. Tested several times on Mario at the center of FD, it will kill at 92%, where neither the unchaged Usmash, Ftilt, or Uair will kill.

Certainly not a bad discovery I presume. If this is already common knowledgeto some, don't flame me, because I have NEVER seen anyone use the Dtilt in this way.

Now, on to the Ledge Nair.

As most educated players probably know, lots of character can drop off the ledge and then jump with an aerial, hold right, and land on the stage. For those haven't seen it, this technique is quite easy to perform with Ike. While on the ledge, just tap left, jump, and Fair, all very quickly. You'll land with your Fair fully executed on the end of the stage. With good fingers, you can also land on the stage with a Uair. The real thing that makes this technique a gem, though, is that you CAN Nair back onto the stage, although it is a bit difficult to get down.

The trick is getting very good DI off your aerial. Unlike the Fair, which easy to execute this technique with, you'll have to be precise in your button input. It would look like this:

Tap (DON'T hold) left > Slide thumb from Jump to Attack > Instantly smash and hold right

If you practice the timing and speed, you can reliably land Nairs from the ledge. This is very, very useful, as the Nair has zero lag upon landing. That means you can quickly attack from the ledge without the risk of getting shield blocked (as in a normal ledge attack); you can follow up your nair with whatever you want instantly. Jabs work great if your opponent is caught off guard and gets hit, or you can grab/roll to safey if they shield. Try it out!

Comments/Questions?

__V

Smash Journeyman
This is mostly true. However, Nair has quite a lot of lag, and you can easily fall off beyond your recovery range if you use it.

noobslayer

Smash Apprentice
This is mostly true. However, Nair has quite a lot of lag, and you can easily fall off beyond your recovery range if you use it.
It has lots of lag, but only in the air. If you execute it properly, you shouldn't have to deal with that. Also, if you're Nair-ing fast enough, you should always be able to recover if you use Aether as soon as your lag ends.

metroid1117

Smash Master
The non-spike version of DTilt has 2 different knockbacks: the first one you described, and the second sends them out at a slightly higher angle. I don't know exactly how to get the second one, but presumably the opponent has to be above the ground at Ike's face. Anyways, I don't really find the outward hit of DTilt work trying for; the range is too short, it's too hard to land, and the start-up time gives your opponent plenty of time to block. DTilt itself also has much more range than the jab.

Edgehopped NAir is cool, but it's too dangerous (in my opinion) to use in a serious match; if you screw up, you'll suicide. Best-case-scenario when you screw up is that you don't make it onto the stage but you can still up+b and hope you don't get edgehogged.

.:DRAKE:.

Smash Apprentice
Kudos for actually trying to research some new stuff.

I know, I know it's probably been posted before in __________ by __________, but who cares - this sort of thing is always good to see and be encouraged.

Nice work noobslayer - keep this stuff up hey.

noobslayer

Smash Apprentice
Edgehopped NAir is cool, but it's too dangerous (in my opinion) to use in a serious match; if you screw up, you'll suicide. Best-case-scenario when you screw up is that you don't make it onto the stage but you can still up+b and hope you don't get edgehogged.
It's actually not that hard to recover from. Your "best-case-scenario" will occur almost every time that you miss, which shouldn't be often if you work hard at it. Practice makes perfect. :chuckle:

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
The stuff about not being able to hit fat people and link and yoshi from the front is new to me thx for that. even though it was already known you added a bit to it thx.

Few things to mention though are that your using DI wrong. DI is done during the hit stun of an attack not after a jump.

I've actually seen kirk do the Nair thing before wonder why I never tried it lol. Anyways what I really wanted to say about that if you land the Nair on a shield it has more lag since moves slow down when they hit someone IIRC.

Edds

Smash Ace
edgehopping is impossible with nair isint it? always go for fair/uair or just press A while on the edge

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Yeah ledgehop nair is possible but I dont like the risk of SD'ing and the small hitbox you get. Sometimes the animation for the nair gets cut short due to the ground and I only get a teeny hitbox. So if they are edge guarding properly you are best of just trying to get on the stage via jumping or rolling.

noobslayer

Smash Apprentice
Yeah ledgehop nair is possible but I dont like the risk of SD'ing and the small hitbox you get. Sometimes the animation for the nair gets cut short due to the ground and I only get a teeny hitbox. So if they are edge guarding properly you are best of just trying to get on the stage via jumping or rolling.

There is no risk of SD'ing unless you were really slow with executing your Nair. You can always Aether back with enough spamming of the B button. :chuckle:

Also, the whole point of this is so that the animation gets cut short. The logic is that you can cover yourself when trying to get back onto the stage with a close range attack but zero lag afterwards. (If it didn't hit, no sweat, right?)

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
if you actually miss can you make it back to the top of the stage not just the ledge?

because if you can ledge hop Nair might be a good way to edge guard Falco, Fox and others like that.

noobslayer

Smash Apprentice
Lol I never thought this was going to be bumped...
Anyhow, thanks Guilhe.
I think I ought to revise my originial post... I think I give this stuff to much credit for awesomeness when I myself use Fair onto the ledge a lot more often for instance than Nair, lol. =D

Top Bottom