• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kojin's Sonic Tech Lab *taking another look at Speed's Sonic*

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva

Find me on GameSpot! KojinSagara Productions HQ in Gamespot Forums!

Hello, I'm Kojin and welcome to the Laborotory for Sonic the Hedgehog. This thread's main function is for one purpose: to critically break down the matchups and techs, as well as the possible viable applicaions of moves and techs in very specific matchups and situations. I made this thread so that me and my friends have a place to post any findings or theories we may have, allow the others to test it, and bring in the results in order to streamline and expand upon the Sonic meta with new information. The goal is this Lab is simple: To move Sonic to mid-tier, or prove the possibility of such by the end of 2008. This is a difficult task, as the majority of the Smash Community barely give Sonic a thought as to his effectiveness in a major setting.

Now, keep in mind, that even though there may be disscusion about what his properties are, his moves, frames, etc, this is NOT a "complete guide to everything about Sonic" Things will most likely be proven useless in the end, but this will allow Sonic to grow. Most of the time, I may have some idea for a character matchup that I'd like to see tested/proven, and will post it here. Many others will do the same. Please, when an idea is given, do not flame or insult the person who posted it, it is not needed. Also, if you don't really have anything to say, then don't bother. I want to make this thread as professional as I can. Even if you are not a member you can post. Just be nice.

So, basically post an idea for Sonic that you think is viable, and the Sonic Lab will test it, test it, then test it again, then post results, possible variations, or other ideas. If it doesnt work, then fine. Its back to square one. Its a lab, there's bound to be trial and error, right? I'll start it off. feel free to test and debate.
------------------
As of 8/11/08, there have been a number of things posted and checked that bore fruit, even in specific situations, that will help you increase your knowledge of sonic. It can't be helped, but there may be some info that you knew, but most of the info shown here are very specific and require setup, and are releatively advanced. Once again, if there are any issues, plz politely post.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some of the things developed/ discussed thru this thread
Discussion concerning the stage Frigate

It is an excellent counter pick that all sonics should use. it gimps tether recoveries and forces up b recoveries on the stage on the left side during the first part of the stages, making edgegaurding much easier. in addition, if you time it right when the stage flips, you can star KO your opponent or send them stuck under the stage.

watch this video please

notice how in the end how squirtle died. after that i examined the stage a bit more. this has got to be one of sonic's better stages.

Ibelieve that:

-during the first stage transition, if a player is standing near the right edge of the main platform when the change occurs, it will result in a Star KO.

- if a player is on the left side on the second stage when it changes back, it will result in a star KO

Clashing as a strategy

It is now known that the first stage of ASC, side B and Dash A are strongest at the beginning, and that after the first stage of any SC, the priority is weakened. However, if spaced correctly, you can use this priority to you advantage to approach stronger characters due to its tendancy to clash with many of thier favorite attacks. search on your own and see that he can not only go through and clash with some projectiles, but against dash attacks and certain tilts and Smashes as well. This requires timing and an understanding of the stages of Sonic's SC and side B, located in tenki's threads.

: Tenki spittin some knowledge on ya on Sonic's upair.

it has about 7.4294 priority points, as compared to the 3.25 average on the rest of his moves.

Really, it's just a matter of range and hitboxes >_>; if you can keep Sonic's body out of your opponent's attack box and tip with the U-air's 2nd hit, you'll win
This was said a long time ago, but people are just now realizing it still: Sonic's up air is ridiculous. spaced properly, Sonics can gain a tactical advantage after moves like Upthrow and FThrow against most of Brawl's cast.

The Kojin "combo" :) (discovered by Kojin)

a series of attacks that utilize primarily the Spring jump and the Dair. Based off the theory that the spring can be used offensively in special situations by members of the Sonic boards. can be set up after a successful grounded Spring attempt that sends the opponent flying upwards due to that spring. Sonic can immediately chase with the spring at certain percents, pass them, then dair back down on them, land then repeat. has been used with the non spiked dair to send them upwards and has the potential to score KOs. This requires some set up.

There has been success in Dairing a grounded spring repeatedly in order to confuse opponents above you and mistime thier airdodge, which can help uair kills. Also, since the attack box cancels each time you spring, you dairng so close to the floor means pounding a nearby foe with dairs, which when connects will send them upwads.

The altered Spin Shot (discovered by Kojin)

During an ASC'd Spin Shot, you can use Side B after a given point in the arc. Because of the nature of the side b to stop all side momentum during the charge, you can alter the path of the spin shot to simply drop downwards prematurely. This is useful in preventing a counter attack from an opponent who is used to its normal trejectory.

Kojin's Sonic Fighting Styles:

this list made last year has proven to be a unique measuring stick when examining Sonic's in videos as you learn. it allows u to more readily determine positive aspects in thier game, as well as their tendancies. there are a variety of sonic styles, so determining which one u are can be difficult :)

Combo type: This kind of Sonic plays very agressively, aiming to get the most out of all of his attacks to extend the combo as much as possbile. because of this they tend to overextend themselves, which can lead to disaster, more so then the other types. Though they can kill faster, the chance of making errors increase, meaning they may be killed just as fast.

Ground type this kind of Sonic player loves tilts, Jabs, Dash A, and Spins. These types tend to be really good with footsies, and have a keen eye for when to dodge, making them more difficult to grab. The only problem is, that this takes lots of skill, since Sonic's close up game is not great due to low priority.

Air type: These Sonic players are very skilled in particular with the Spring Jump, the ASC and its mixups, as well as having an advanced recovery set. it is harder to kill these Sonics than others, due to thier tendancy to Spring jump, or Spin Shot to safety. They use this to close the gap and initiate combos as well, revolving around the aerials. they will mix up with ASC>grab to keep you honest. However, the weakness of this is that predictability must be kept very low, or you may get punished severly once you land. In addition, Sonic is more vulnerable in the air in most cases due to lack of priority and his slow fall speed. though this player knows that and can nullify this to an extent, the issue still remains.

Grappler type: These Sonics use grabs, pummels and throws as thier primary offense, switching to other moves like smashes to mix it up. they understand sonic's speed well, and use it to close the gap quickly to punish on lag. After the throw, they are very solid at techchasing for more grabs, and mixing them up with smashes to keep the opponent honest. The one thing to really worry about, is that if the opponent takes the aerial approach to counter or plays keepaway often, then this sonic player cannot capitiolize as much, and must resort to other tactics. In addition, this type is very stage dependant.

Edge type:
Once this Sonic player gets an opponent of the ledge, it become very difficult for the opponent to get back on, despite percentage. Sonic is a good gimper, but this player makes him annoyingly so. He is very solid in all edgegaurding tactics, from instant edgehog to Dair Spike> Homing attack, as well as wall bouncing and teching to prevent getting spiked himself. He goes for grapples near the edge, in hopes of stage spikes often, and is just as knowledgable with recovery as an air type. he is also equally as good getting back after getting knocked off, but in a more defensive manner than the Air type. if the opponent stays in the middle of the stage and is good at keepaway, then this type has issues.

Punish type: This is more of a balanced sonic, that utilizes his speed, and is very good with mindgames to create an opening for himself, rather then waiting for the opponent to make an unforced one. Once this Sonic gets it, he makes the most of it, with all of his moves. This one is very adapatble, defensive one moment, and agressive at any moment. because he uses many of his moves multiple times to punish, like the bair or the Fsmash, this weakens the attacks when its time for the kill. But this type is good at using most if not all methods of KOing to compensate.

Camper type: This Sonic can be considered the "slowest" of the Sonic types due to its more patient playstyle. It utilizes a lot of bairs, f tilts, and other movements to outmanuver and make the opponent commit unforced errors, which will lead into more subsequent damage from combos, throws, etc. This may not work if the opponent can get Sonic off balance with thier offence well, either by using overwhelming offense (MK) or an annoying projectile game (ROB) But against characters that need to get closer, sonic can use this style to his advantage and dictate the flow of the match and time. you will see many empty jumps, Foxtrorts, and other movements the use sonics dash to play outside of the opponents maximum range, forceing them to advance, or become very campy themselves, allowing the Sonic to slowly pick them apart.

Playstyles Analyzed:

Tenki(page 30)

Mr. 3000(pg 30)

Malcolm(pg 30)

RATS(pg 36)

Chis (pg41)

Puffball aka Espy (pg 49)

DjBrowny no Style

Camalange no Style
*New*

A big part of this thread is also to analyze the playstyle of the best sonic players so we can learn from them. If you wish to have your sonic looked at by me or the boards, post them here instead of making your own thread, if you want.

Kojin's Vids

"Shatter the Grounds"- A Kojin/Sonic video
"Acceleromaniac" A Kojin/Sonic vid
"What U Need" A Kojin/Sonic vid
Sonic and the F-Throw
"Mach Speed Generation": A Kojin/Sonic video
Sonic's iSDR edge camp
"Soko Da" A Kojin/Sonic vid
"Back to Back" A Kojin/SteakMatch vid
"Dash Dance Revolution" A Kojin/Sonic vid
These show my progression as a sonic player as I also try to showcase advanced elements of sonics game in combat, creating 'KojinSagara Productions' as a result. First created to practice sonic theories, it now intends to be a mainstay in the sonic community concerning Brawl.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Against Snake: Once he's far off the edge and begins using his up b to recover, jump out once and f air him out of it then immediately use the homing attack. The Snake will have up b'd again and you're homing attack is a guaranteed hit and will knock him far off the side to kill him.

Umby

Smash Master
While I find this somewhat interesting, I would rather this be combined with the contents of an existing thread (personally).

Grounded Spin Dash can also cut through projectiles if you didn't know.

PhoenixoKaZe

Smash Ace
NNID
Toffykun
Against Snake: Once he's far off the edge and begins using his up b to recover, jump out once and f air him out of it then immediately use the homing attack. The Snake will have up b'd again and you're homing attack is a guaranteed hit and will knock him far off the side to kill him.
depends, or u can b- air or cyper grab if possible, it all comes down to the situation XD

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Yeah he's got to be at a high percent and pretty far off the side, but I think you can kill him at around 100% or so, maybe even lower. Depends entirely on the situation, but they never see it coming :p

Tenki

Smash Hero
Haha, good stuff. BT's thread can become a collection of actual main matchup discussion while this can be move vs move or move vs strategy.

Spincharge clangs with Pit's grounded side-B, too.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I'm personally sick of these threads and people asking about specific ones.

How about we just have one thread, with ALL the information, and when a ****ing idiot comes in here, ignores the stickies and makes a ******* thread we all tell them to **** off and never come back or we will throw them against the wall.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=161598
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=184030
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=154329
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=170844
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=170943
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=168689
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=182455

These should be all one thread imo, with the name "The Complete Sonic Thread", or something to that effect, but it is starting to get repetitive. It also gets me angry to see a thread made asking for questions for a specific character when we have now 3 "matchup" threads.

We also have no consistent mod to come down here and tell people to stop.

Also, people think Zelos is a chick. Zelos macks it hard. He gets more *****es than... a... guy who gets lots of chicks.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Also, people think Zelos is a chick. Zelos macks it hard. He gets more *****es than... a... guy who gets lots of chicks.
Zelos is awesome for the record.

And yah. We don't need this or like 80 percent of the threads made here. Most of them are remakes of other threads that degenerate into spam. I've accepted that the Sonic board attracts idiots. Why can't you?

Tenki

Smash Hero
I don't think this thread will be total junk though, most of the move-vs-move stuff gets cut out in most matchup discussions anyway. MK seemed to be an exception, since finding something that outprioritizes any of his moves is like.. a godsend. We'll see how this week's matchup writeups roll out to see if the pattern continues or not.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
It has a CHANCE of being okay. Most threads do if steered correctly. But look at the standard Sonic board goer. You KNOW this will turn to crap. But fine, no use in not giving it a shot.

So....That Luigi is a pain in the ***. Stupid double aerial Short Hops.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
memphis, I'm too lazy to check if any of those are my thread, but if one of them is, you can go to hell. GO TO HELL AND DIE!

Dx

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
sigh...

I told this to Thumbs already, but Sonic can kill with an Up throw to Spring Jump to Bair at FD at about 100% for light and mid weights, and about 150% for heavys. This is a legit way to go for those with strong horizontal recovery, like Peach, Meta, DDD, and Rob, Assuming you have a relatively decent Bair. I do this al the time depending on the matchup. If you wait too long though, they will fly to far to reach consistantly. yeah they can DI, but I have been able to do it pretty consistantly reagardless, so I'm sure you guys can.

Also another funny Sonic tech thingy: If you run of the edge and immdeiately Side B back, It's like Sonic rides on the edge and spins back on, like a wall crawl or spin, or whatever you wanna call it. I don't think its important, but its cool to see from time to time. Try it.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Character specific theory: against Snakes's CQC

I was playign with a freind the other night in Sonic vs snake match, and tried to think of a unique strat to deal with his moves. And I wrote some things down.

1: Sonics Spin Charge ( grounded, and I think only the first stage, help me on this one Tenki) can clash and cancel many of snakes most used moves..

Sonic's SC clashed with the opening frames of Uptilt, but seems to push me too far away afterwards to do a move safely. you could use your fitilt, but Snake had the advantage at this point and I had to blcok or roll away.

It also clashed with the first hit of the Ftilt, and let me block the second hit. I jab combo him immediately after to prevent a snake counter attack, but im sure snake can blcok after the clash so that my be a grab mind game in the making.

I clalshed with the Dash A, and was Jab him afterwards consistantly, the same goes for the frst hit of the Upsmash.

I found that a safe way to stop DAC was to UpB from SC. i had to do this a while to get used to it, and had to bait it of corse.

Sonics SC goes right under Snakes first jab every time.. so if you see a snake that likes to jab alot in empty space, I think a quick SC ccan stop him pretty consistantly.

Once snake started trying to side step the SC instead, I jumpcancelled and quickly Daired to punish him on the lag. I actually do this for many ofther characters, so I figuered this would work too. and im sure some of you guys do too.

Please test and confirm, maybe this could be a solid way to mess with snakes CQC.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I totally believe in the potential of this thread. I would personally rather see this separated from the match up thread for now, as their purposes are different. However, once this thread is more voluminous in information, I think it should definately be integrated into the match up thread. But as of now, I find the match up thread is not specific enough, which is why this thread shines if it doesn't get noobified and should later be integrated. This thread should be used to discuss, as said in the intro, very specific moves and situations.

Sonic's Grounded Spin charge has huge priority immediately after being released, It clashes with several fsmashes, snakes jabs and tilts etc.

I would like to see tested the priority of a Spin Dash Roll right after an ASC touches the ground, from my observations its pretty darn high.

Really the priority with Sonic's Spin Charge seems to be quite simple. At the beginning, Sonic has the most speed, and thus most priority. So what does this mean for you? Don't use the spindash as an approach from far away. Even if it did have the priority of God from far away, its painfully obvious and can easily be dodged/grabbed, so just don't.

Also, I think MAYBE the spin dash roll might regain some priority after the turnaround animation, not sure though.

As for UpB to Bair:

If you're playing someone who has played good Sonics before, then chances are he or she will expect the upthrow to UpB to Uair/Bair. Because of this, they will take one of two evasive actions.

Sometimes, if not used at exactly the right percantages, opponents have time to airdodge. What I do usually is wait a bit to see what action my opponent might take, and after he or she dodges or tries to attack, I will use the Uair or Bair. Bair often works against airdodges anyways because or its startup lag. Sometimes patience is key.

More often, good opponents will DI. The best course of action I find for this is to mix up you're throws. If you use Uthrow often during the match, you're opponent will learn to DI to the side. So why not throw them off by using a Dthrow to finish them? Theyll be expecting a Uthrow and DI to the side, when in reality you are using a Dthrow and this DI would cause them to be sent at a lower angle then usual, setting up more easily for gimps.

Luigi:

Ugh. In the air, the one thing you really have over him is Uair, which the second hit outprioritizes everything. So, use it. Lol. Sonic doesn't exactly have the best aerial mobility(lol) so spacing in the air might be hard, but try to connect with the second hit of Uair until you can get back on the ground, and use ftilt which owns like everything luigi has on the ground, lol.

A final note: Sonic's Spin Dash Jump seems to have way better aerial mobility than Sonic in non ball form. Recently I've been tyring to incorporate this more into my gimping game, but I keep forgetting to do it =P. I would like to see this tested. If so, then it might become very useful.

Spin Charge is quicker than Sonic's standard run if I'm not mistaken, so even though you have to charge it up, you are still moving quickly for chasing your enemies off stage. Then you can youse the fast fall Sonic in spin charge form, which again seems to have much better mobility than sonic does on his own. The disadvantage of chasing enemies off stage with a Spin charge is that you can't use a reverse aerial rush, so you are much less likely to connect with a Bair. However, you have the advantage of better aerial mobility, setting up better for fair gimps below the stage, making it harder for your enemies to recover.

Must do testing.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
wait, I thought that he could grab you out of Dash A. At least the SC is faster, so that may not happen as much, plus you always have the option of cancelling it into a jump.

btw, after the turnaround, Snake crushed Sonic's roll with anything you wanted so don't bother. I tried it that day, and it even looks slower. try it if you want, maybe imm wrong, but Only the first stage of SC will calsh, and you need to charge it a bit quickly so as to verify it.

Since 2 weeks ago, I've been using the Spin Shot often and it is a great move. I mean, I think it literally makes sonic faster overall and even harder to hit. Since I figured out the Side B version better (I charge Side B then slide input the X button) It makes Sonic easier to get back on the stage with if you have a jump, and keeps Sonic moving in the air faster. like I said before, its a great way to close on many projectile spamming players, (jump over the first projectile, then Down B aerial spin shot over to them) and you can always Spring Jump to saftey while dropping the spring on them. usually this will make them move. I tried this on Lobos the other night and it worked well against his Lucario and Toon Link.

By the way, I have another thing to study.

Specific Character Matchup: Lucario

It is the common tendancy for a lucario to abuse the Dair whenever you are below him. I believe I found a nice counter to that.

Bait a dair , then Spring jump through them, Dair.

Basically what should happen is that the start up invincibility will allow you to pass through Lucario's Dair, unharmed, then you can dair them on the lag afterwards. Plz test to ensure reliabilty. I also used this tactic to keep Snake in the air, by running under him before he lands, then using the grounded Up B to fly through him. He will usually land on the spring and fly up, where I will already be waiting for him with a Dair. I havent tested other attacks, and I havent mastered this, so please test to confirm reliabilty. In either case its a character-specific mind game that should be employed when the opponent would not be expecting it.

Also, I was talking about the Up Throw-->UpB-->Bair with the assumption that most Sonic's will be constantly using the Down throw for the tech chase and possible gimp attmept, Which is how I play, and save the Up Throw for this particular combo. I still would try it despite the DI, because, well, I am sonic, I don't have that many options. At least the up throw sets up the Spring Bounce Setup (SBS for short).

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Great thread. I've been looking for a way to defeat Peach with Sonic.
I hope that's not aimed at me :(

That Dair thing sounds like a good idea but it sounds a bit predictable. I would simply float above Sonic and if I saw it coming, I'd use Toad to counter it. Sounds like the Peach player was floating just above the ground. Whenever I fight Sonic I float higher so that I'm just above Sonic.

Still a good idea though although I'm not sure if Peach's Nair would outprioritize Sonic's Dair

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
I hope that's not aimed at me :(

That Dair thing sounds like a good idea but it sounds a bit predictable. I would simply float above Sonic and if I saw it coming, I'd use Toad to counter it. Sounds like the Peach player was floating just above the ground. Whenever I fight Sonic I float higher so that I'm just above Sonic.

Still a good idea though although I'm not sure if Peach's Nair would outprioritize Sonic's Dair
You may be right. We need someone to test the different moves of peach when this tactic is anticipated. So far, i only do it as a mind game in baiting an air move, then countering it with this because i assumed that my dair wouldn't win against any of her moves. But I havent tested counter with toad, it sounds like a nice counter in theory, but lets say you started doing it maybe you got it twice in a row. then couldn't I empty jump and hit you on the lag, or even maybe srping jump, you counter the spring, then I can dair on lag? but its all in the mind game, so... Someone please test.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Actually he catches you during the SC.

he doesn't catch you when you dash attack or Ftilt though

meh, the reason why i don't like ftilt that much against snake is that if you miss/block, you are getting a snake ftilt to the face. all the time.

Also, Iv'e been working on the Lucario tactic I've been talking about. You can set it up with a Fthrow, Up throw, and basically any move that send them up. But it is a bit difficult to do in a actuall match because they can go anywhere. It was easier against snake than Lucario though, and when it did happen, I was able to dair them as they went up a few times, a FEW times. It may need more practice, but it looks too situational to constantly rely on. I figured I could use this on Snake often to prevent tilt abuse, oh well...

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
More information on Spring Jump.

ugh. tested old things for more verification.

The Dair abuse from a jump on Peach has been proven to either be very situational or not rewarding enough to promote abuse. I limit such a tactic to less than 3 time a match against a competant Peach, as a mistimed dair can lead to a nasty situation. Will test if the move is more viable if abused from the spring jump soon.

It is harder to set up the clash then initially thought. But it still seems that Sonic can be pretty aggressive against a Snake. The only real issue is stopping the mortart slide, that when done right, you can't seem to grab him out of like people thought. its because you are getting hit twice very quickly, you either get hit by the dash A or the mortar. More spacing is probably required, but if they spam the mortar slide, then plz test furthur if ASC cancel approach is viable.

(ASC Cancel Apprach: repeated usage of DIing the ASC and its shield cancel to move backward or forward. Can be used to approach as a mind game to due to its ability to shield cancel into a grab, dodge an anticipated attack and quickly counter with ASC and its subsequent moves, or jump cancel at any gven time. ASCCA for short)

Ask anyone who plays me as Sonic, I tend to do this alot. I'd like to see if anyone else has or will try to add it to thier game and give immediate and later match results.

Playing against godismyrock yesterday, using the UpB to save myself from impending doom was proven once again to be viable and most importantly consistant. Sonic repeatedly escaped Falcos chaingrabs, and Bowser's chaingrabs by DI'ing back and Spring Jumping out.
he thought he was messing up, and he may have been right some times. except that it happened waaay too often.

Also, Abuse of the UpB invincibility has proven to be effective and confusing to the opponent at many times, when the attack seemed sure to hit.

i also attempted to edgegaurd using the grounded spring by setting it at the edge, then normal gimp attempts in hopes of an opponent possbily getting past me, only to land on the spring and fly in the air instead of gimping me back. In addition, i have killed by using the grounded spring method stated in a previous post that send the opponent upwards while I was still airborne, then Dairing them at that height.

RESULT: Encouraging Sonic players to incorperate more UpB abuse to escape, and set up confusion with invincibility and grounded spring. making Sonic even harder to track down and hit.

plz comment.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I found an interesting solution to Peach's D-air lol.

jump somewhat parallel to Peach, side-B hop.

I remember doing this about 2-3 times against a Peach player. The side-B traded hits with the first part of Peach's D-air, which doesn't have alot of knockback. You can then almost immediately dj-aerial from this point. B-air works too.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado

I remember doing this about 2-3 times against a Peach player. The side-B traded hits with the first part of Peach's D-air, which doesn't have alot of knockback. You can then almost immediately dj-aerial from this point. B-air works too.
Interesting and sounds rather viable. However, I'd just like to point out that, although we do abuse it quite a bit, Peach is not all about Dair combos. I use them to rack up damage/get opponents in the air but if they don't work then I ditch them straight away or at least use them less. Also, if Peach sees the side B coming, she'll space herself back enough so that the final part of her Dair will hit you out of it. Either that or air dodge/land to get out the way and try to punish you afterwards assuming you haven't charged it up.

I highly suggest you don't do this when she's about finished with her Dair combo because she may come out with a Nair which won't be very pleasant for you

Edit: If you're trying to recover and think it's a good idea to Homing Attack to get you back onto the stage and to hit Peach then think again. There is a huge chance you'll get hit by her Up Smash if she's on the ground and it will mostly likely be the sweet spot. Anyone whos been hit by a sweet spotted Up Smash from Peach will know why you should avoid it

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva

Ill try it and let you know what happens

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
cant this be put into an already existing thread or guide? wud b mega helpful to have it all in one spot :) maybe even sticky if u arent keen

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
it could if this thread gets used often. but its isn't really abot a specific char, nor is it a detailed how to beat a char in every detail like many other threads are. right now? no.

btw, ive checked other good sonics on youtube again for ref, and the biggest difference is that im more trickery-type, so i decided to polish my close range game more. single jabs, dtilts into fair, and more aggro gimping. I hope that i can bait better this way. just thought youd like to know. I used to hate dtilt because it was so punishable, but i think that was a spacing issue.

Tenki

Smash Hero
CONTROLLER PORT!?! ay... maybe.

After clanging with or beating out projectiles one round then being outprioritized by them in another, I'm wondering...

could this be based on controller port?

I remember doing ASC through Waddle Dees, GAW hotdogs, and more.

Recently, I've been getting outprioritized by the above.

>_>

Napilopez

Smash Lord
After clanging with or beating out projectiles one round then being outprioritized by them in another, I'm wondering...

could this be based on controller port?

I remember doing ASC through Waddle Dees, GAW hotdogs, and more.

Recently, I've been getting outprioritized by the above.

>_>

Hmmm... interesting. I think first hit ASC has better priority, but ive had the same happen to me. Im totally confused bout Sonic's spin dash/charge priority. I was playing a sonic ditto yesterday, and one moment like we both downBd, released from about equal distances, and i beat him out. And there were tons of other weird priority moments with the spins that I dont feel like writing (I'm typing from the Wii browser lol)

Tenki

Smash Hero
Not that this has anything to do with any previous topic, but an interesting suggestion/project:

Learn the trajectories for certain problematic moves (eg, MK dsmash, up-B) and learn how to DI yourself into a grounded spring.

`.`; if it's humanly possible, then we can go for it.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
wow, really? DI from an attack into a grounded spring? that sounds tough.

Idk if I said this already, but after the ChuDats biweekly, I now know for a FACT that Sonic is probably the only character in the game that can escape non-Ice Climber Chaingrabs by Smash DI ing out and Spring Jumping. DDD, Kirby, and Falco can't keep him in the chain grab forever, and I usually got out after the 3rd grab, fot kirby, after the second.

If u didn't know, now you know.l

Tenki

Smash Hero
I didn't know you can SDI from a Dedede d-throw? o_O;

I'm not sure if it's possible to escape the Yoshi "chain pummel" though.

----------

Also, I've been smashed into/saved by grounded springs a few times, so I was wondering if having it there as a momentum stopper would be feasible if you had better mastery/understanding over trajectories and DI.

Top Bottom