• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Counter Analysis /w Video

Kirk

Smash Champion
So lately there was some talk about Ike's Counter and how slow it is or how it is compared to Marth's etc.

So I decided to make a video to demonstrate the timings of Ike and Marth's Counter...including some frame data (not *perfect* frame data, but pretty darn close nonetheless).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnbn1zDWEac <--Here's the video I threw together just now :p

I hope everyone can learn at least one new thing from this and hopefully it'll answer some questions. Who knows...you may be surprised with what you see...I know I was surprised when I took a closer look :D

__V

Smash Journeyman
Good job. Strange how they end at the same time...

noobslayer

Smash Apprentice
Good break-down. I always thought Ike's counter-able frames laster longer than Marth's. With both having the same total length however, it gives each counter distinct uses - Marth's is more suited to pattern recognition and anticipation. Ike's is limited to punishing slower attacks, but it is safer to use (less vulnerable frames before ending means less of an opportunity to attack).

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
I wish they just gave Ike Marth's counter. ;P

That'd totally change up his game...boost it. Sadly, we have the Ike Counter...guess we'll have to get our timing/predictions down to the dot, eh?

KHSteve

Smash Rookie
Good video. I didn't really know that they had the same amount of counter frames, only that Marth's was faster to start. So thanks for that.

If only the Ike board had topics more like this.

joetan

Smash Rookie
thanks for finding that out. I always have a hard time with timing that counter. Because it has some pre lag, I only really find it usefull for really predictable attacks.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Marth mains dont use his counter much because a good 90% of his moveset can beat said incoming move to the punch. I agree that ike's counter could have stood to be like marth's since there are plenty of situations where you cant get a move out in time. Granted you could just shield, and you should be.

D

Deleted member

too bad smash is based on reaction.

marth's is better =/

vegeta9000

Smash Cadet
Marth's counter=Reaction
Ike's counter=Prediction

Any objections?

Marths counter = so fast you can predict your opponents moves and counter before it happens, and your enemy attacks before he can really notice a counter just happened before his attack

Ikes counter = so slow that if you predict your enemies action and counter it, he can see the counter happen and 10 frames is so slow in every mid level skill environment your opponent will simply not use the attack

metroid1117

Smash Master
Excellent work, Kirk; I've always wondered when Ike will get some credible frame data. Thanks for making the video; it was very informative.

Top Bottom