• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any control Changes to your ikes?

Da iZ

Smash Rookie
just wondering if anyone changes or recommends any changed buttons to the GC controller when using ike, like i thought of some good stuff for any ikers out there like making the c-stick the special for ike aka "b-sticking", Discuss.

__V

Smash Journeyman
I use X/Y to jump, and removed tap-jump. Makes it easier to shorthop and Utilt.

KHSteve

Smash Rookie
I do not have Tap Jump on. I don't think it really matters, that's just out of habit.
Also I have R set to Special. Because my B button is broken.

Hoser

Smash Ace
I just play with the standard controls. I'm probably gonna start playing without tap-jump one I get back from the tournament in Maine today.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I have jump tap on. Apparently, I'm one of the few that does. I find it quicker to short hop by just flicking the stick instead of trying to tap the button.

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
That's not the reason I have Tap Jump on.

It's to avoid myself from accidentally jumping when I do things like Dashdance > U-smash.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
So, Tap Jump off. What would be the best use for the C-Stick? I always thought it was best to turn it into a B-Stick, but after a few days of that, I'm not so sure...

Akashi

Smash Lord
I set my c-stick to attack (tilt). It's easier for me to do some tricks (walk up to the ledge and dtilt without losing momentum), and it erases the fast-fall from dair.

edit: I have Tap Jump off, and I set my X to specials.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
c stick is best either tilts or smash. I like sliding usmash, but no FF dair is also good. But Ike can recover from a FF dair level to the stage, if he has his 2nd jump. I do it all the time.

tap jump off is good for utilt. in my opinion

Akashi

Smash Lord
c stick is best either tilts or smash. I like sliding usmash, but no FF dair is also good. But Ike can recover from a FF dair level to the stage, if he has his 2nd jump. I do it all the time.

tap jump off is good for utilt. in my opinion
The latter is risky and serves nearly no purpose. Situationally it's good, yes, but you can set c-stick to tilts and do both regardless. Also, are you trying to say you can't do sliding usmashes with a c-stick set to tilt? @_@

MetaRidleyX

Smash Apprentice
I have my controller set for b-sticking and tap jump off, but I use it that way for every character. But I dont actually b-stick with each of the characters I use.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
You guys are wusses with your "No Tap Jump"...

I for one don't need any changes whatsoever because that's how Melee was and this is how Brawl should be... Also, would you really want to go to any tournament and waste valuable seconds of game time just for "NO TAP JUMP"???

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
...are you trying to say you can't do sliding usmashes with a c-stick set to tilt? @_@
I never even considered doing those WITH the C-Stick. I always used the Analog + A. Now that I think about it, though, one would probably get more momentum from it using the C-Stick. I'll have to give it a try.

I for one don't need any changes whatsoever because that's how Melee was and this is how Brawl should be... Also, would you really want to go to any tournament and waste valuable seconds of game time just for "NO TAP JUMP"???
With the no tap jump on, does that make it possible, or significantly easier to do a Utilt while running? Or does it even make it possible at all? I need to get my Wii back so I don't have to ask such stupid questions.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Yeah guys, way to be wusses for using an option the game gives you so you can do things more conveniently, how dare you?

And lol people at tournaments don't care if you change your controls, what sort of pretentious bull**** are you trying to pull? 40 seconds out of the next possible 21 minutes are going to be wasted, oh god.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
Oh and I changed my X button to special instead just because it makes it easier to do things like full hop quick draws.
The edit button is quite useful.

I'm sort of wondering if I should change my Y button to something since I don't use it. I was thinking Shield since the absence of L and R analog in the game makes it quite difficult sometimes.

Tenki

Smash Hero

XD

I've been experimenting with Tap Jump Off lately. Not for U-tilt, but for DI. How about that, you're in an aerial fight against a character that can easily gimp you. If you're holding up the whole time and using C-stick to perform aerials, you can avoid bad placement that usually ends in a gimp death as a result of bad DI. Also, keeps you from using an unnecessary double jump while trying to DI upwards.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
Mother ****er you made 2 topics *****ing about people saying they don't like your character, where the **** do you think you get off?
I made one, guy, and one comes before two. Whether or not I made multiple threads also has nothing to do with edit buttons. You may be trying to count the one about my not-so-bright colleague, but that was asking how to combat him, not a community. You get angry easily, don't you?

Now, does turning the tap jump off open any new opportunities, or does it just make things easier?

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I made one, guy, and one comes before two. Whether or not I made multiple threads also has nothing to do with edit buttons. You may be trying to count the one about my not-so-bright colleague, but that was asking how to combat him, not a community. You get angry easily, don't you?

Your semantic argument doesn't change that the content of the post was practically identical, you were more than easily able to hit that edit button and go from "Friend" to "Friends" or "People that arent friends but hey now it's more than one person!". Your topics were redundant and honestly, worthless all the same. So guess what? I'm sticking with two, guy, the number that comes after one.

I'm not angry in the slightest, actually.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I didn't make any changes to my controls. I just feel more comfortable playing Ike that way.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
Yeah guys, way to be wusses for using an option the game gives you so you can do things more conveniently, how dare you?

And lol people at tournaments don't care if you change your controls, what sort of pretentious bull**** are you trying to pull? 40 seconds out of the next possible 21 minutes are going to be wasted, oh god.
Assuming everyone uses GC Controllers in all tournaments, every GC controllers all have the same button interface so any person should not have some stupid excuse to even change their controls... Unlike other fighting game on console tournaments (3S, MvC, Melty, Arcana Hearts, Tekken, etc.) people brings a wide variety of controllers, so its necessary for the person to change their control since the button interface is way off to other people's pads/sticks/female items... That in itself is annoying since the next player now then has to switch back to the controls of their liking... As to Brawl, if you going to be in a tourney playing maybe 5-10 Wiis and you happen to have to keep changing TVs, you have to go through all that process of making that nick, setting your controls, and having your opponent wait... Chop chop why won't you...

Kirk

Smash Champion
....you have to go through all that process of making that nick, setting your controls, and having your opponent wait... Chop chop why won't you...
Which brings us back to the point of...it takes 40 ****ing seconds. If you can't be patient for that long then you are playing the wrong game.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Assuming everyone uses GC Controllers in all tournaments, every GC controllers all have the same button interface so any person should not have some stupid excuse to even change their controls... Unlike other fighting game on console tournaments (3S, MvC, Melty, Arcana Hearts, Tekken, etc.) people brings a wide variety of controllers, so its necessary for the person to change their control since the button interface is way off to other people's pads/sticks/female items... That in itself is annoying since the next player now then has to switch back to the controls of their liking... As to Brawl, if you going to be in a tourney playing maybe 5-10 Wiis and you happen to have to keep changing TVs, you have to go through all that process of making that nick, setting your controls, and having your opponent wait... Chop chop why won't you...
40 seconds per set, a grand total of *gasp* 200 seconds if you have to play on 5 different wiis. Christ that's like a match in of itself, I guess you have a poi--wait, no. Control setup change options exist for a reason, let's not forget that I know plenty of tournament players who actually play on the Classic controller to boot. Your contention is stupid, and that's being polite.

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
I've never been to ANY tournament where they made a problem of using different setups. Honestly, you're gonna enter your name anyway right? Mostly a lot of it has been done before the tournament even starts, with the friendlies and all.

Besides if you don't delete them all the time changes are people won't even have to change it cuz their name is already in there.

O en Tsukuyomi, why would you have more Wii's than TV's?

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't think that anyone in their right mind at a tournament would make a big fuss out of taking a minute's time to change controls, that's just silly.

Also, I tried it without tap jump, I failed miserably, it doesn't help me at all, so whatever, I don't see what so many people see in it. The default GCN controls seem to work perfectly fine without any disadvantages unless I truly am missing something.

Akashi

Smash Lord
Different strokes, honestly. You may not see anything, but to others it may help. Will it turn the tide of the battle? Most likely not. Will it viciously **** MK as it steals the very virginity that makes him God tier? One can only hope so. But anyways, to all the people that are complaining about the time it takes to configure controllers: do you guys go to tourneys? If you do, you'd easily realize that NOBODY cares whatsoever. It's as easy as, "I'm going to quickly change my controller, k?" and they obliged.

Anyways, back to the c-stick argument. I just remembered something: doesn't c-stick set to smash take off your nair? If it does, that's another reason why I keep to tilts. I love doing fast fall Nairs or DI'ing my Nairs for even more aerial control. Tbh I <3 my C-stick, and I pretty much hover over it 90% of the battle. So, yeah, X = specials, C-stick = Tilts, Tap Jump = off for me. ;o

ShadowBlitz

Smash Apprentice
The normal controls are pretty good though. Not hard to get used to them.

However, for the tap jump.... using the analog stick for jumping kinda interferes with some other controls so you can't do everything so efficiently. If I were you I'd just use Y or X for the jumping. Not hard to get used to anyway...

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Well so far I feel like I may be the only one that has been thinking this but different control step ups maybe used as form of counter picking. Tilts are faster than smashes so they maybe useful against some of the faster cast, The tap jump well I'm sure you all know it helps breaking out of meteor smashes (remove on of falcos main kill moves anyone?), and smashes well ofcourse would be to get in fast kills on slow and laggy characters. The custom control option is there and it should be used to your advantage this wasting time is BS and nothing else. I probably take more time counter picking a stage than putting in my controllers.

A nice difference between having the C stick to attack and smashes is that jab cancel to U.tilt becomes even faster possibly even a real combo because you are able to skip the duck animation almost entirely. The bad thing is that you can't preform retreating Fairs as well. I haven't actually tried to work on those though just a few little tests I did when I was bored.

Top Bottom