• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Peach

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Ok, this is going to be a bit touchy. I've seen what happens in Peach discussions, hopefully there won't be any heated arguements. Anyway, the rules:

- DO NOT SPAM IN THIS THREAD!!!
- Do not create another topic for Peach, discuss it here or I'll see to it your thread is closed at Sonic speed. No need to spam the boards with something similar to this.
- I know there will be debates, I only ask that you keep it civil. Tell the people you bring from the other boards that too. Any hint of flaming and stupidity that said person will be dealt with swiftly, I'm not gonna tolerate that mess here.

I'll tell you right now in my opinion, this match is equal at best. Anyway discuss your concerns with this match.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Heated? What are you trying to say? The Peach Boards NEVER have fierce discusions don't be so ridiculous
*hides the old match up thread*
:laugh:

Even at best is probably the right way to view this. At worst, IMO, this is pure murder. Forget your rivarly with Mario, his princess will give you a hell of a lot more trouble than he ever will. I'm gonna copy write what I said in your other thread because I'm lazy super sonic fast

I notice you don't seem to have much info on Peach so I thought I'd pop in and give you all some advice :)

Peach WILL use Dair combos. Peach WILL use Turnips because Sonic has no projectiles. Her aerials outprioritize pretty much anything Sonic throws at her. And of course she will use Floating because...that's what she does. That's the basic info you need to know, I've put some more detailed stuff below:

• Peach's main killing move is her Fair and it's a lot better than Sonic's in power. But not in speed. If you can get your Fair in first then you'll mess her up. Her Up Smash is also another killer but Sonic's Dair makes it very situational indeed.

• Like I said earlier she is going to use Turnips for approaching and possibly recovery gimping (although it's hard to use it effectivly with recovery like Sonic's). If you get the chance, catch them and throw them back. She'll Glide Toss them at you but you can Glide Toss better than her.

• If you are predictable with your Spindashes and spam them, she'll probably wait for you to come charging at her then pull out Toad to counter it. And getting spores in your face isn't nice

• Another kill move is her F Smash. Sonic's main ground kill move is also his F Smash. Be careful when using it because Peach's F Smash is faster

• Juggle her if you can. U air is a great juggling move combined with Spring chasing and Peach falls very slowly and is very light. She's also very weak when she's high up in the air

• Don't use your Homing attack over and over again to try and hit her. You leave yourself very open and Peach will probably hit you with an Up Smash which will hurt a lot. And if you miss and land on the ground funny, you leave yourself even more open

• Watch out for her jumping out of her sheild and trying to attack you (don't forget you can do his do)

• Because Peach lacks kill power, she is fairly aggressive when it comes to edgeguarding so Homing attack her in the air when she's floating if she isn't expecting it because it will knock her out of the sky

• Sonic's Dair is great at knocking someone away because it comes down so quickly but watch your use of it because she will probably Toad it or Up Tilt you out of it

That's all I've got to say for now really. Just play smart and never, ever underestimate Peach. If anyone wants some Peach fighting experience then pm me because when we get round to a Sonic match up, it'd be nice if I could contribute some info on him ;)
Your best shot at beating Peach is to gimp her recovery or go for the vertical kills with your Up + B + Uair. Watch your Dair approach - I recently found out that Peach's Nair outproritizes it so if you're fighting a fast Peach, she'll use it if she see a Dair coming. If there are any Foot Stool fans out there, you can't Foot Stool Peach whilst she's floating. Gimping her with a spring is good but if she uses her Parasol (Up + B) then the Spring won't work.

I'm not sure if this always works but if you Spin Dash into her and she pulls out Toad, if you keep going and jump, the spores miss you, leaving you free to punish her.

To cut the long story short, you are going to have problems. Dair combos will screw you til you bleed, Turnips cancel your Spin Dashes (so much for grinding through metal...) and her priority will kick yours in the ***. Good luck with this one

Villi

Smash Lord
Bairs will trade hits in the air. Floated dair out prioritizes spin dashes on the ground. Uair either trades or outprioritizes your dair, depending on time and position. Utilt and usmash completely outprioritize dair if they connect. Your bair is your best bet against Peach and baiting her into your fsmashes -- I find that most uair set ups are very easy to DI/air dodge out of and sometimes even punish.

If you can't keep Peach guessing wrong, you're gonna have a hard time approaching and she has a good pressure game because of her quick, multi hit moves.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I have played Dark Peach at the NYC weekly and just actually played a peach in teams at the SWR event this weekend and i have to agree with tenki.

Peach, to me, just plays on sonic's weaknesses far too well. She will just harass your shield the whole game and sonic has a pretty poor OOS game so your shield grab attempts are met with her jabs and your tilts are met with her retreating fairs.

You dont really have the time to mindgame and approach because against sonic, peach becomes a very aggressive character. It will take your opponent all of 30 seconds to realize EVERYTIME they Dair your shield....you roll like crazy and cant counter attack. So why wouldnt they keep on doing it?

Gimping her is also a feat thanks to the umbrella having the most insane priority ever. Assuming they DI up....which is the correct DI against all of sonic's moves except 2...they arent in any position to edgeguard anyway since they can just float all the way up there back to the stage. I'm sure you can spring to up-air or HA in the wonderful land of theory, but in actual gameplay sonic's priority is too much of an issue to touch her dair or toad...or nair or if they play incredibly safe they can just airdodge.

Not to mention, her nair has decent knockback and she can come OOS with it almost instant...kinda like a bowser fortress type deal. You touch her shield...shes nairing you.

Then you add in a projectile with a glide toss as an approach and you get someone who pins sonic into a corner nearly the ENTIRE match. I would rather fight snake....then fight peach as sonic.
I believe this is an important piece in this discussion as well.

There IS alot of emphasis on Peach's D-air, but when Peach is floating and not in the middle of D-air, then she can answer your approaches with her other aerials.

We need to find some counter movements to certain moves/tactics.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I've never faced a really competent Peach.
How's her defense of aerials from above?

Oh, just so you everyone knows, unlike in Melee, Brawl Peach has a gimpable recovery. It's not the easiest thing in the world, but it's definitely doable. It's quite a bit like gimping Wario in that you got to push your gimp distance to its limit while still maintaining precision.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I believe N-air > D-air, if that gives you an idea of it. Also, if you miss, you're eating D-air.

And I can't think of anything that goes through umbrella, if you're attacking from above.

Blapius

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blapius
3DS FC
1435-6036-1685
And I can't think of anything that goes through umbrella, if you're attacking from above.
Not at my Wii to check, but maybe the ASC. Or are we talking directly above?

HA may also arc enough to miss the parasol and hit her directly.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Not at my Wii to check, but maybe the ASC. Or are we talking directly above?

HA may also arc enough to miss the parasol and hit her directly.
directly above..ish. Peach generally will use it while lower than the level ;_;

Blapius

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blapius
3DS FC
1435-6036-1685
I guess one option is to purposely miss a Dair in order to quickly open your options to attack either from below or her side (e.g., Dair past her, jump cancel, Bair; Dair short of her, jump cancel, Fair). Admittedly not a great option, but it's honestly pretty slim pickings for the most part. That **** parasol is a priority machine.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I've never faced a really competent Peach.
How's her defense of aerials from above?

Oh, just so you everyone knows, unlike in Melee, Brawl Peach has a gimpable recovery. It's not the easiest thing in the world, but it's definitely doable. It's quite a bit like gimping Wario in that you got to push your gimp distance to its limit while still maintaining precision.
Defense of aerials from above? If you mean what I think you mean, then its very very good. Her new Up Tilt will screw you up if you try to approach. If Peach has good timing, it'll knock you out of your Dair and then if you're on a low percentage, she'll either follow up with an aerial or yet more tilts

As for her defense from attacks below when she's up in the air...all I'm going to say is that I wish I could say it was as good as defense from attacks from above :p

And yes Peach has gimpable recovery but if she sees a Homing attack coming then she will most likely Nair or Toad you. You could try Foot Stooling her when she isn't floating and she doesn't look like she's about to use her Up + B. A good way of knocking her out of the sky, especially when she's vunerable is to get a full Fair in then using your Up + B to recover.

I'm trying to give my best advice on this since I second Sonic but I haven't actually fought many Sonic's before...and most people I know haven't fought any Peach's apart from myself since they're so scarce these days :(

Edit: You can try spring gimping but Peach's Parasol will make it disappear 99% of the time

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
I'm talking with DEC right now about it (he mains all female characters). He says the worst time fighting my Sonic is when I don't let him reach the floor...
I can say some things I see when I fight Peach:
-Her Umbrella stops your spring and Dair. If she Up B when you are over her, don't dair... instead use an airdodge...
-If Peach likes to spam turnips do this: SH + airdodge them (you'll grab the turnip).
-ASC, Down B = Toad counter, Spin dash works well. Sometimes you'll hit her with ASC second hit after she uses Toad... Try spin dashes.
Thats for now... Im in a hurry...

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I think it be best to Get a Peach players input on this to hell you out.

So Far, I have not lose to a sonic when I am on point and have kept my cool. I beat the best sonic in N.Y (Wes) The only time I lost to a sonic was be being annoyed. (this is not a john, its actually advice) Sonic annoyed me so much that I lost my cool and just rushed him. There is no need for that

Annoy the player with his speed and spin dash. It helps Peach is not all that fast and should not be chasing sonic left and right. if Peach is chasing you, she will be left open and you can take advantage of that.

When you get your damage on and finish, GTFO. Being inside Peach for 2 long will get you beat up. She has her air combos and can pressure sonic very well.

Sonic has hardly any proirity. Peach has alot. Don't make mistakes on your attacks. Or you will be punished easy.

When Peach is in the air, Space your back airs or even Fairs. But dont try to beat her in the air alot. Her air game is better than yours.

If the Peach is smart, You have to come to her. Your faster than she is so there is no point in chasing you and swinging attacks. You have to be close to deal damage on her. Peach does not for she has her turnips. But olso getting inside and put the hurt on is a pain.

Peach has a few ways to approach you

- Glide tossing (which screws up sonics spin dash attack/approach)
- Dairs
-Turnip>Fair
-Fair>Jab
-Bair>Ftilt

But like I said, Peach does not have to come to you all the time. She can get you with turnips, and you have to come to her to stop it.So she has options for approaching and not approaching.

Sonic does not have a clean approach on Peach. So he has to rely on baiting Peach and using his speed to deal damage on her. To me all he has is his spin dash to start the hurt on Peach. You can use it to go through Peach to kill the shield. Now with her shield small she can be shielding the move. So the Peach may ether have to roll, Jump, or side step. But even if you get behind her, you can roll right back to her and put the pressure on Peach or get a combo off.

Sonic needs to rely on his speed and baiting Peach and hope she screws up. Eat and pressure her shield with spaced Bairs and use spin dashes to attack, eat the shield and start up the combos. Sonics spacing may not be that good but you have to rely on it.

The problem with sonic is that smart ones for me are hard to hit. They like to spin dash alot so I can't get a clean shot. Then I attack, miss and I am open for a hit. His speed and that spin dash are trouble for me and a pain to deal with. use that to get some hits off. Speed and baiting is what it is all about here.

I say this fight is 40-60:peach

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Meh, Wes takes a far too conservative approach to playing Sonic.

But that's besides the point. I'm sure your Peach is very good so thanks for the advice.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Excuse me Dark Peach but I know several people who could tell you I am much, much better than Wes. I also live in NY. Fight me and I could show you, Peach is easy.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I dislike Wes' Sonic. Its too defensive as said earlier so he sometimes misses opportunities he shouldn't be missing.

I have played a few Peaches and I have to agree with drk peach.

She does have an advantage, not a large one but an advantage.
The turnips don't bother me half as much as her aerial game.

I would say 60:40 at worst.

Boxob

Smash Champion
I don't play at all. But if I did, I could be back to where I was in two or three rounds, maybe even one.

BT, don't you live in NY? I know for a fact yours is better than his, as well.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Boxob is so good, he can beat Peach with Sonic, in melee.

Anyways, interesting, I've played some peaches who clearly had alot of technical skill, but I don't know how good they would rank up. I think you know the matchup you'll be fine. For me personally, You should try to keep Peach either on the ground(combo with dash attacks, ftilts, dtilts etc), or high enough in the air so you can use Uair. Uair pwns.

Also, against turnip spammers: Run up to their face during as peach pulls up the turnip and initiate a Side B. When Peach throws her turnips, Yous SideB invincibility to pwn. If you were close enough, then you should be able to go through the turnip with SideB, without the risk of being punished, because by the time she can retaliate you already smacked her in the face and initiated a sonic combo. ASC works well too.

From experience, the fight is at worst 50 - 50. But then again I'm very giving with Sonics matchups, I still rarely feel like im in a bad matchup if I know the matchup =P.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Don't even start, keep it civil fellas.

Dark.Pch is a very excellent Peach player, I personally fought Dark.Pch offline so take it from me, he knows what he's talking about. I don't think it's that big of an advantage though, but he isn't lying about what to look out for.

P.S. To answer your question Boxob, I already defeated Wes' Sonic :laugh:. But then again, it was wifi so who cares :ohwell:.

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
The Peaches have found something....It might be bad for us Idk but it sounds hurtful....its lika technique that hits with tons of damage...idk the details completely someone else might wanna troll on over there.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
If it's that turnip to toad thing, then what's the worry? You'd have to be more or less inactive to be hit by it.
It looks to me like they just throw the turnips up and when they come back down toad then and you.
So basically when they throw upwards just get outta there.
As for this match-up, it's not actually too bad. It's only her really effective air game that stops this being neutral, turnips aren't a problem.
60 : 40 in Peach's favour.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Turnips can be a problem for sonic.

As I said, landing a good hit on sonic can be hard cause of his speed. So I have to use turnips to slow him down. Now I dont mean just hurling them. I mean being wise about it. As I said before, his speed is a pain, so I am not gonna be chasing sonic and swinging my attacks when it wont get me far. So since his speed is his problem.

Also I am not sure how many Peach players know this, but I'll let you guys know so you can be aware. And I Don't see many Peachs doing this. You can be jabbed out of you spindash. Her Jab is fast as hell, and has good range and priority. So that's another way to slow down sonic and set him up for some damage.

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
Ya know it nice hearing it from the other side... thanx dark peach thats good help.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
No probelem. I am more about helping more than just competition. So I thought I lend a hand. And it also helps me out as well to learn the match up fully.

I really don't care about helping out the other side. does not bother me at all

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I'm a Peach player as well >.>

I agree with the match up being 60:40 to Peach. Peach can trash Sonic but if Sonic plays smartly he can trash Peach. When you see an opening, you have to overwhelm, that's how I view it

The Peaches have found something....It might be bad for us Idk but it sounds hurtful....its lika technique that hits with tons of damage...idk the details completely someone else might wanna troll on over there.
This is false. Pretend it never happened. Pretend the topic never exsisted :urg:

Top Bottom