• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theme Matches

Blapius

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blapius
3DS FC
1435-6036-1685
I've seen a few theme-based crews around, which is a novel idea. I've recently applied this concept to a lesser extent in the form of theme matches (usually doubles). My friends and I were looking for a way to mix things up, and this does just the trick.

It's fairly simple: one person announces a theme they'd like to play, such as Sidekicks. Let's say they pick Diddy Kong. Someone else says that they'll join them and play Luigi. Team Sidekicks is locked in. The other two players do the same with another theme. Play with these two teams for a set of whatever length you wish. We usually just play two matches, irregardless of the outcomes, but best 2/3 works, too. And if you really want to get the "it's just for fun" feeling going, why not turn on most of those banned stages and items (at least on low)?

Now, this isn't supposed to be some sort of revelatory post by any stretch, just something to try out with your friends. These matches get you and your buddies playing as people that you might usually not, which is actually to everyone's benefit. Plus, it's an opportunity to cut loose and just have a little fun. We could all stand to take the game a little less seriously once in a while.

You can check out many examples of Theme Teams on my YouTube profile: http://www.youtube.com/Dyslogy

Here are some of the teams that my friends and I have assembled in order to get you started:
Team Third Party: Sonic, Snake

Team 64: Falcon, DK, Fox, Jigglypuff, Kirby, Link, Luigi, Mario, Ness, Pikachu, Samus, Yoshi

Team Brawl: Wario, MK, Sonic, Snake, Ike, Dedede, Diddy Kong, Pokemon Trainer, Pit, Wolf, Lucario, Lucas

Blue Team: Falco, Lucario, Sonic

Mushroom Kingdom: Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach

Mario Bros.: Mario, Luigi

Mario Baddies: Donkey Kong, Bowser, Wario

Men With Hats: Mario, Luigi, Dedede, Falcon, Link, Toon Link, Ness, Diddy Kong, Wario

Multiples: Ice Climbers, Pokemon Trainer, Samus, ZSS, Shiek, Zelda

Magic: Zelda, Lucas, Ness

High-Tech: Fox, Falco, Wolf, Samus, ZSS, Snake, ROB

Puffballs: Kirby, MK, Jigglypuff

Underdogs: Ice Climbers, Peach, Yoshi

Fat Camp: DK, Bowser, Wario, King Dedede

Acrobats: Diddy Kong, Pikachu, Sonic, Toon Link, MK, Falcon, Shiek

Retro: Mario, ROB, Sonic, Game and Watch, Pit, Ice Climbers, Donkey Kong

Star Fox: Fox, Falco, Wolf

Swords: Marth, Ike, Metaknight, Link, Toon Link, Pit

Guns: Samus, ZSS, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Diddy Kong

Arctic: Ice Climbers, Wolf

Punch Squad: Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Donkey Kong

Hammers, Inc.: Kirby, Dedede, Game and Watch, Ice Climbers

Headbands: Pikachu, Snake, Ike

No Pupils: Olimar, Ness, Lucas, Pikachu

Anime Hair: Pit, Ike, Marth, Lucas, Sonic

No Teamwork: Ike, Ganondorf, Lucas, Diddy

Bombs: Samus, Yoshi, Link, Toon Link, Snake

Furries: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Fox, Wolf, Lucario, Pikachu, Sonic

All-Girl Revue: Peach, Zelda, Sheik, Samus, ZSS, Marth

Masks: Sheik, Captain Falcon, Metaknight, Samus

No Pants Necessary: Bowser, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Yoshi, Kirby, Metaknight, Pikachu,
Pokemon Trainer, Jigglypuff, Game and Watch, Sonic,

Reptiles: Pokemon Trainer, Bowser, Yoshi

Enjoy!

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
did you forget that link exists? he definitely goes in men with hats (same with toon link) and probably in anime hair.

oh and lucario wears pants and squirtle is an acrobat.

Blapius

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blapius
3DS FC
1435-6036-1685
did you forget that link exists? he definitely goes in men with hats (same with toon link) and probably in anime hair.

oh and lucario wears pants and squirtle is an acrobat.
Thanks!

And to answer your Link question: Yes.

Edit: I mainly wanted to just toss the idea out there. You guys can change whoever you want with the Themes, add your own, whatever. These aren't exactly stone tablets I'm bringing down from the mountaintop, here.

MetaRidleyX

Smash Apprentice
My friends and I do this sometimes. It's a great way to just take a break from the seriousness and have some fun.
One of our most common theme matches is Legend of Zelda: Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, TLink, usually on hyrule temple or bridge of eldin.

Iron Thorn

Smash Lord
Going to Gamelon. I'm taking the Triforce of Spag
Marth in the all-girl revue? Dang, I definitely did not see that coming.

Fangirl Refugees: Sonic, Link, Marth, Pit, Sheik

Team Stop Hatin': Zelda, R.O.B., Sonic, Yoshi, Jigglypuff

Internet Jokes: Falco, Captain Falcon, Luigi, Ike, King Dedede

Youtube Poop: Mario, Luigi, Peach, (no Bowser, there was only King Koopa) Link, Zelda, Kirby, Metaknight, Yoshi, King Dedede, Sonic

IMMA FIRIN MUH LAZAH: Fox, Falco, Wolf, Samus, R.O.B

Reflectors: Mario, Fox, Zelda, Pit, Falco, Wolf, R.O.B, Lucario (I think?)

Real Men Wear Pink: Kirby, Captain Falcon, King Dedede, Luigi, Meta Knight, Wario, Yoshi

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
lol I did stuff like this when I was like 10. xD

Blapius

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blapius
3DS FC
1435-6036-1685
Thanks for the contributions, Iron Thorn. We had a "Laser Beams Pew Pew" team, but I guess it wasn't on the list. And yes, I am willing to admit Marth with the girls may have been a cheap joke . . .

@ sasukebowser: Sorry about that. Let's band together and make a drinking game or something super grown-up.

Top Bottom