• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Sonic Stage

NNID
MasterHavik
sonic ***** mk, idk wth u guys are always talking about. its an even matchup at worst.
I don't know abou that. I talk ot my friend who main DDD, and he said Mk has no protiy. He only has some moves that good, but that it. Mk from all awesome stuff I learn about Sonic, and Mr. Tenki with textbook smart of Sonic. I have started to see Mk as a child play character, and this mean good things going to trouneys with Sonic to.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
sonic lacks "protiy" but thats it.

sonic doesent need range, he can move accross FD in a split second. and sonic doesent need priority because a player with masterful timing and mind games can use that to beat attacks.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
but those reasonings only apply when you are better at the actual physics and mechanics of the game than your opponent, which proly wont happen in touneys

and yes, MK is a child's play character

R4ZE

Smash Ace
how good a player is, doesent change how fast their character can move accross the stage. its just like.. sonic vs ike... its a terrible match because sonic's speed is so much greater than ikes. but really, sonic's speed is greatter than that of most characters. and i dont mean just mean. in attacks. i mean MOVEMENT

abusing sonic's high MOVEMENT speed is where he can dominate, and no characters cand o anything about it, not because they are bad players, but because THEY ARE TOO SLOW.

andy6915

Smash Rookie
I would say the Great Fox Melee stage. With the low ceiling, I saw a video of Sonic star killing a Marth 55% or so. That is the lowest I've ever seen Sonic kill with direct attacks.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
sonic is a beast chase killer. he doesent need spikes because of that. a very good amount of his moves have "decent" knockback, just not killing knockback form the center of FD.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
how good a player is, doesent change how fast their character can move accross the stage. its just like.. sonic vs ike... its a terrible match because sonic's speed is so much greater than ikes. but really, sonic's speed is greatter than that of most characters. and i dont mean just mean. in attacks. i mean MOVEMENT

abusing sonic's high MOVEMENT speed is where he can dominate, and no characters cand o anything about it, not because they are bad players, but because THEY ARE TOO SLOW.
it doesnt matter haow fast you are, i doubet the you can get inside of ikes jab, or snakes jab, or marths f-airs, if there is a constant hitbox out, ground speed means next to nothing

R4ZE

Smash Ace
WTF ARE U TALKING ABOUT.

i hit before they can even begin executing their jab.

u dont understand that.. for sonic to move like half of FD is the same speed that ike moves his fist a couple inches.

if they arent expecting u to roll up in there grill, then ur already freakin in there face. what are they gona do?

anyway.... serisouly... im gona start hearing that ike is a good counter for sonic, and them im gona go crazy and get banned off these noob-ridden boards.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I actually kind of agree with R4ZE. Who cares if the hitbox lasts longer, if you hit BEFORE the hitbox then Ike is hit, you're not. Honestly, I'm so used to playing as Sonic I forget how fast he really is. I played my friend as Ike (just for the hell of it) and he chose Sonic. Immediatley after the announcer said GO, I had to pause the game for whatever reason, and in that amount of time, he was already past the halfway of FD and almost at me...of course I disagree with the jab comment because that comes out relatively fast and cancels just about whatever the hell it wants. Ike a counter for Sonic? Don't think so.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i never said ike is a counter, im just saying expecting to just overrun any opponent with speed is just asking to get hurt. thats why tenki has the saying "dont roll into ****"

the people i play with ( i cant speak for your area cause ive never been there) are very smart. they are at the point where we have all adjusted to sonics speed, so staying on them and keeping them off guard is a much harder affair, if i start running at them from one side of FD by the time i get halfway there, my opponents are usually already throwing out jabs or f-airs or whatever spammable move they have.

you cant go into any match thinking your going to win with sonic, my mindset is that i play every match like its even or im at a disadvantage, ive been hit by too many grand vipers to assume an ike player is going to be an easy win. but thats just how i look at things since it personally gets my mind in the place where it needs to be to play well

and sonics best stage is corneria, imo

i gotta at least try to keep this mess on track

Tenki

Smash Hero
tenki has the saying "dont roll into ****"

the people i play with ( i cant speak for your area cause ive never been there) are very smart. they are at the point where we have all adjusted to sonics speed, so staying on them and keeping them off guard is a much harder affair, if i start running at them from one side of FD by the time i get halfway there, my opponents are usually already throwing out jabs or f-airs or whatever spammable move they have.

you cant go into any match thinking your going to win with sonic, my mindset is that i play every match like its even or im at a disadvantage, ive been hit by too many grand vipers to assume an ike player is going to be an easy win. but thats just how i look at things since it personally gets my mind in the place where it needs to be to play well
- I think micki or greenstreet brought that up, definitely wasn't me.

- Yep, that happens. Again, if it's humanly possible, eventually, someone will get it. People can and will be able to react to and even read your approaches through your feints.

- JW, what is the grand viper? I think the original description was that they U-tilt out of quickdraw but I usually jab out of it. xD

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
lmao the grand viper!!

do people really like corneria for sonic...i personally have never taken any1 there. half of the time people ban it because its all over youtube spring to up air star ko @ like 70 % rofl. and then the other half of the time I just dont find it advantageous since MOST tournament characters have some sort of silly quasi-infinite on corneria. As u saw in Silven's ike vid....even ike has some corneria shenanigans.

What do you guys do on corneria? Do u camp the fin? Do u play the center of the level or the edges? Do you homing stall the bottom? lol....im jus wondering.

Umby

Smash Master
Tbh, I used to be a Corneria fan, but it seems like Sonic has an easier time getting edgeguarded there. I do like the left edge for bthrows though, lol.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
havent played cornaria since brawl honestly... didnt reallly even play it much in melee...

ike's jab has 3 different attacks and im pretty sure you can even hit in between those attacks if u time it right. depends on how fast the user executes it.... not to mention after ike does his 3rd jab hit, he gets a very minor window to hit him there also.

best way to win with sonic, know ur opponents character. (it actually helps A LOT to play as a character if ur having trouble beating them)

lol grand viper was supposed to be some form of trickery,,, like OH NO IKES COMIN AT ME WITH SIDE B! WAIT, HE STOPPED OH **** NOW HE IS JABBIN!
I dont remember if it was jab or u-tilt... but it was probly both.. even ike boarders made fun of the kid for calling it the grand viper. but honestly its a decent approach by ikes standards.

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
K.I.D. u live around Kirk right? Thats why he doesnt underestimate ike.

And Ike's jabs dont leave u a window to attack him unless your marth in which u can up-b if your frame perfect inbetween the 2nd and 3rd hit.

Ike has one of the best jabs in the game.....the guy has a jab walk for heaven's sake...lol.

But word yo....knowing the character your playing against is crucial. Diddy Kong almost ate me alive at a tournament cause I was had almost no matchup experience and those bananas were giving me the business.

Tenki

Smash Hero
it doesnt matter haow fast you are, i doubet the you can get inside of ikes jab, or snakes jab, or marths f-airs, if there is a constant hitbox out, ground speed means next to nothing
Haven't really tried against Ike (I usually interrupt the jab with a sliding shield and dodge the next hit [which is usually a grab]), but I have gotten between Snake's autojab with Fully-charged SC.

Marth F-airs, it's possible to slidepshield into them and screw up spacing so that you can grab.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
I think one of the reasons people have a lot of problems with sonic's spins... is because most people prefer side b over down b... down b travels faster on the ground and i would think just based on the speed alone it would have more priority... but i think the move itself has more priority anyway.

side b is more useful for projectile eating... imo.

but personally i use down b a lot... and im pretty sur eu can down b in between ike's jabs, or at very least, u can hit him after his 3rd jab.

Tenki

Smash Hero
hay, so on brinstar,

if you set this up correctly, you can D-throw through the floor (oh btw, with correct DI, you can d-throw from the edge of stages like halberd and have them fall through the platform too, thanks @ Umby).

Anyway, you can either glitchthrow through the bridge/normal platform depending on their DI, or, if you set it up correctly, D-throw and use the multi hits to eat through the bridge. It gimps tethers and Link pretty hard lol.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i killed a dude at 85 damage with a forward smash on corneria, thats the only reason i need to start CP ing it in tourney against characters that dont have a wallgay.

brinstar is good too, and thanks for the info.

and yes i do live where kirk used to live but he was only here for school and i was in RI for school so i never played him. but i have played some pretty good ikes, so i know what happens if they start mindgaming you or predicting your approaches, (death at 40% anyone?)

grand viper is quickdraw to up tilt

normally id take your word for it, but i have a reallly hard time believing that Sc can hit through snakes jabs with out clashing

i will try shield sliding into marths f airs in the future, thanks.

R4SE, when in rolling on the ground state, down b and side b are the same move.

lastly, diddy will **** anybody that doesnt have knowledge of the match, diddy even beat Mew2King because he didnt know enough about the match up, and now everybodys saying diddy is an MK counter...
it makes me laugh, realising theres no such thing as an MK counter

R4ZE

Smash Ace
SC is still faster than Side B.... it takes 2 seconds to charge side b enuff to equal the priority that u can get in like a split seconds with down B (exclusing the hop's invulnerability frames)

R4ZE

Smash Ace
ya but u can sit and charge down b also... IF you want to. not to mention the Hop slows down SD also

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
^^ i c wut u did thar.

I'm gonna practise on Green Hill Zone for a bit (it seems to be counterpick/banned borderline) for the next few days and see how things pad out, if Sonic has any significant advantages on there.

Tenki

Smash Hero
well, you can do a spincharge and jump on the steep slope for a 'wavedash'-esque or 'cancel'.

or, going towards the edges, do a quick invincible spindash.

Anyway, Luigi's Mansion.

...as Sonic's bad stage...?

discuss.

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
I personally always ban the stage. Luigi's mansion is synonymous with broken. People only take your there if they have something they can exploit...sonic can't exploit anything on it so yeah I would consider it a bad stage for sonic since he has no advantadge there.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I personally always ban the stage. Luigi's mansion is synonymous with broken. People only take your there if they have something they can exploit...sonic can't exploit anything on it so yeah I would consider it a bad stage for sonic since he has no advantadge there.
Figures.

Argh@ MK and ROB on that stage.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
on either pokemon stadium ROB and mk are tolerable. you guys really need to trust me on the PS advantage.

its all about the knowledge and use of the level.

i wall combo like crazy on the tree and dirt hill thing. dsmadh/dthrow/bthrow > free fsmash. Also, the air on PS2 is like a free stock for us. uthrow/fthrow and spring chase with whatever. its so awesome to kill people like that.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
on either pokemon stadium ROB and mk are tolerable. you guys really need to trust me on the PS advantage.

its all about the knowledge and use of the level.

i wall combo like crazy on the tree and dirt hill thing. dsmadh/dthrow/bthrow > free fsmash. Also, the air on PS2 is like a free stock for us. uthrow/fthrow and spring chase with whatever. its so awesome to kill people like that.
holy crap memphis is being useful....
what is the world coming to lol

anyway, i like PS1 but if im ever going to pick it im going to play D3 on it anyway so i dont have much knowledge on the matter, i just know that its worth the wait for the free stock off the chain throw on the tree. other than that anybody can really combo off the tree and the flying stage really throws off my timing but thats probably just my inexperience with the matter

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Green hill is a pretty beastly stage for sonic just because of the roll to JC. Adds a lot of versatility to the spins.

That and the jab lock if it works there.

Top Bottom