• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how to Gentleman

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
magus told me today, all you have to do to gentleman is press A, A, and then HOLD A, and you won't rapid jab

the secret to the universe is finally unleashed

now everybody watch the last 2 stocks of this match http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm3bxjSPDnY
Lol, M2K is too good. He understands that you don't have to win as Captain Falcon, you just have to look really sexy and Knee alot.

Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI2PzJnUPpw

This is dedicated to you. I told Scar to show it to you but Im not sure if he ever did so....there you go.

Scar

#HarveyDent
You have to hit with the first two punches for this to work. Shielding really does cancel the rapid jab a little more often though. I do like... AAAL.

battousai555

Smash Ace
You have to hit with the first two punches for this to work. Shielding really does cancel the rapid jab a little more often though. I do like... AAAL.
I just started using AA A+L yesterday and it seems to be the most consistent for me (and the least awkward to do).

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
This is Magus:

Shielding shouldn't cancel it any more often. Just make sure you start a new action before letting go of the A button. You need to cancel the window first. It takes some getting used to. Including L/R/Z (counts as an A button as well) in it simply interrupts the window with a shield at the soonest possible time, but leaves you with fewer options out of it.

Dashdancing or pivoting away/through them or forward-B out of it are 2 that I like. Another thing you can do with this is really delayed rapid jabs by holding A for awhile then releasing it well after the knee finishes, since the window goes well beyond when you can 1st move/shield after the knee. Basically, if you wanted you could be like A..A..A.......(stands up).......Rapid A. Also, you don't need to make contact with both punches just at least one of them.

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
that's funny someone said M2k is good with everyone but.....can he main random??its quite a mystery..yes it is.

Havokbringer

Smash Lord
Hmmm....I thought everyone knew about this.....especially M2K.Oh well btw I gentlemen with AA then z and hold because if someone trys to hit me after it I can shield it immediatly.(the way Silent Spectre does it :D).

flipboi0787

Smash Cadet
please note you do not need an opponent near captain falcon to do a gentleman.
here is a video of my crew mate doing a gentleman without connecting a punch to an opponent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boun_3k0h2A from 0:02 - 0:03 you see the first two punches then the forearm/shoulder/elbow hit > air gentleman

also note my crew mate and I both use only the A button to gentleman....both to the air and in battle

A, A, PAUSE, HOLD A > taunt or dash dance or like isai and knee ken for the kill at 0:38:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggdsOxz4DqY

click at 0:34 and you see first attempt of gentleman to full hop knee then at about 0:37 you see it work (gentleman to full hop knee)

Ja

Smash Journeyman
What version are you doing this on? I have NTSC 1.0 and can't get it to work, however I can gentleman by delaying the 3rd press. This doesn't sound like a difficult tech, I shouldn't be messing up the execution.

EDIT: I actually have NTSC 1.1

Magus420

Smash Master
It works in 1.0. Are you doing something before letting go of A? Also if you do it fast you need to hit something with at least one of the 3 hits. It has to do with the total duration including hitlag so to do it without hitting anything at all you need to include some delay in there to make up for it. As long as you hit something though you can do it at full speed.

Another thing is that how long 'A' is held down during the initial hits also matters. You should release each 'A' press as quickly as possible. That was something I had tested then, and both times 'A' was pressed at the same exact points but when held for slightly longer it was able to make it not work.

Ja

Smash Journeyman
Err, I just double checked and I actually have version 1.1. Does it also work in that?

It works in 1.0. Are you doing something before letting go of A? Also if you do it fast you need to hit something with at least one of the 3 hits. It has to do with the total duration including hitlag so to do it without hitting anything at all you need to include some delay in there to make up for it. As long as you hit something though you can do it at full speed.

Another thing is that how long 'A' is held down during the initial hits also matters. You should release each 'A' press as quickly as possible. That was something I had tested then, and both times 'A' was pressed at the same exact points but when held for slightly longer it was able to make it not work.
I'm not doing anything before releasing A.

I am pressing A-A-A fast, hitting a computer, and holding on the last A.

Magus420

Smash Master
Err, I just double checked and I actually have version 1.1. Does it also work in that?
I haven't actually tested, but I doubt it works differently unless I've managed to avoid playing on all cubes that have that version in it.

I'm not doing anything before releasing A.

I am pressing A-A-A fast, hitting a computer, and holding on the last A.
vv In case you missed this part in an earlier post of mine. vv
This is Magus:

Just make sure you start a new action before letting go of the A button. You need to cancel the window first.
That's what I meant by are you doing something before releasing the 'A' button. You need to do that. The reason 'A -> A -> Z[Hold]' also works is because holding Z does the hold A part, and then it also cancels the jab's window with a shield. Speaking of which, does A A then hold Z work? If this way really doesn't work in 1.1 then that shouldn't work either because it's the same concept.

If you do 2 'A's and then hold the 3rd one down without ever letting go of it at all do you still go directly into it anyway while the button is being held down indefinitely? If never letting go of the 3rd one at all works, then you're letting go of 'A' before cancelling the jab's window with some kind of action.

Have you tried tapping/releasing the first two 'A's faster like you would do when pressing the jump button to shorthop with Fox?

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
O.o this is like finding the REAL ssbb disc, not the janky one i bought with no l-canceling.
thanks M2K!

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure Magus knows this already.

I just figured out you can gentleman without a target if you time it correctly.

Coffeemug

Smash Journeyman
I was doing A, A, R+A for a while and my consistency was all over the place. Last night I was messing around with every method I could find and trying out which method works best.

IMO A, A, Z+A works better than R most of the time and I tried playing that way for a while but my R habit didn't die. And when I am successful doing it, my shield pops up for a second and I lose my chance to follow it up. I'll also have a friend who does it purely off timing (A, A, wait, A) and he's pretty consistent. So I'm pretty sure it's a preference at this point and everyone can do it a different way.

Shielding shouldn't cancel it any more often. Just make sure you start a new action before letting go of the A button. You need to cancel the window first. It takes some getting used to. Including L/R/Z (counts as an A button as well) in it simply interrupts the window with a shield at the soonest possible time, but leaves you with fewer options out of it.
I found that I had a really high success rate by doing A, A, A very staccato like (in case people are confused by that word it just means don't hold the button down long) and sashing the control stick forward or down on the second A and letting go with the third (I also found sometimes I can do it later on the third A only but my timing was inconsistent). That way you don't accidentally buffer an action and if you do buffer the control stick, it'll be a dash. So there's another way to cancel that window.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Reasons behind the Gentleman inputs:

The third hit in the jab combo (before the multijab) has interrupt-able qualities, so that any action you perform after a certain point in that third hit will work. This is just like IASA frames, except in the case of this third hit of jab combo, letting go forces the multi-hit to start up and holding the button that initiates the 3rd jab hit allows you to use this interrupt. In that case, you can walk, dash, jump, shield, use specials, and so on easily while holding the A or Z button that initiated that 3rd jab hit.

The problem with holding Z sometimes is that it puts up your light shield, and there are times when you want to dash out of your gentleman or do something besides jump/grab/wavedash. That's why I personally prefer A because it gives more options, but it's also a bit harder to get used to.

Top Bottom