• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boost Counter

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
Warning: I am not an Ike main, please excuse my noob. Thanks.

Through my Pivotboost research, I've found a neat way to speed up the friendly hero, sorta.
Here it is.
The boost gained isn't much, though, I could've sworn some one posted something like this before. That is why I am a bit hesitant to upload the video. And also the fact that I don't really see a lot of Ike mains use counter. I am looking forward to maining Ike though, so please spill the beans.

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
Care to ellaborate on what exactly you found? Any scrap of information may prove to be useful. Even if it was posted before, it may serve as a reminder.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
Is this boost similar to the pit's angelic step or whatever, where pivoting causes a boost in momentum the 2nd direction?

noobslayer

Smash Apprentice
Sounds to me like a Boost Draw.
When Ike uses Counter when he has forward momentum (sliding), he gets a decent boost of speed.
I.E. Aerial QD > Counter
If what you've discovered is this, than it's already been found. If this is something else, details please. =D

XACE-K

Smash Master
The only boost counter I know of is use QD in the air and when you land, use Counter. This sounds like a different one.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8020K4j6AY0

that is what he is talking about, we did some discussion on this in the New General Ike Discussion topic early on but I think we all just shrugged it off as not necessary because it did not give much of a benefit.

I'd like to see what you found Woody, it may have a use, no matter how situational it may be.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
Video posted. Just wanted to let you all know that the vid does the Boost Counter NO good, I'll to try to whip up a better vid later. Watch around :10 - :17. Anyway, this may serve as good news, Marth can't perform this. I've tried like crazy and may try again. But he can't. :( As for Ike, I was thinkin' maybe this could serve as a way to force your self into an attack, and use this as a set up for aerials.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
yeah it seems this is like the angelic step where you pivot and then do something out of it, pit has a really good pivot grab, so it is a good tech to combo with that, and it works better for some characters than others. instead of crouching first you can try spot dodging too, for another practical use. but yeah, so you pivot and hold the direction you want to go after your pivot and counter it seems, to get a slide with your counter? or am I interpretting this wrongly?

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
yeah it seems this is like the angelic step where you pivot and then do something out of it, pit has a really good pivot grab, so it is a good tech to combo with that, and it works better for some characters than others. instead of crouching first you can try spot dodging too, for another practical use. but yeah, so you pivot and hold the direction you want to go after your pivot and counter it seems, to get a slide with your counter? or am I interpretting this wrongly?
:embarrass Actually, ignore all the pivoting and other nonsense. Simply Jump Cancel -> Counter, as you would Jump Canceled Grab in Melee. Simple enough right?:bee: I'll test so more just make sure there isn't any difference between the two, but Jump Cancel Counter sounds cooler and gets the job done a little bit easier.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
ok i will try this to test it too, but it seems kinda useful nonetheless, to make an approaching counter more viable than a standing still one...and ussi - i just might be...haha nah jk lol

10ikeforlife

Guilhe

Smash Ace
This seems to be a very useful technique as Ike's counter has some lag to set up and the small distancing correction offered by the jump canceled counter can make the move more viable against faster characters. So, how do you do it?

Guilhe

Smash Ace
I’ve had! But I didn’t use any ATs at that time and didn’t even know Smash Boards. But I see you using pivot boost in the video. Does it help you to travel farther using the Jump Canceled Counter?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8020K4j6AY0
that is what he is talking about, we did some discussion on this in the New General Ike Discussion topic early on but I think we all just shrugged it off as not necessary because it did not give much of a benefit.
I'd like to see what you found Woody, it may have a use, no matter how situational it may be.
Yeah, the Pivot Boost seems more useful when used together with the Jump Canceled Counter. But if the Pivot Boost Jump Canceled Counter (work in progress) someday consolidate itself as a true advanced technique for Ike (which I believe is possible), other moves can be added to the pivot as mindgames.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
I’ve had! But I didn’t use any ATs at that time and didn’t even know Smash Boards. But I see you using pivot boost in the video. Does it help you to travel farther using the Jump Canceled Counter?
Yeah, so far, it helps. I'm still getting used to things though, like Ike and the pivotboost; and I'm still finding things, old things, but new to me.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Oh, I was wondering where the counter discussion was.

lol silly non-bolded threads.

So yeah, you guys should try counter B-reversals.

Counter
Input: [down]-[back]

In case you didn't know, you can counter from a full run, so if you do [down]-[back], you'll slide backwards slightly and do a counter facing the opposite direction of your run.

If you're in midair, it will reverse your sideways momentum (and stop your rising momentum) and cause you to fall a counter in the opposite direction. This means that if you jump backwards and do a B-reversal, you'll fall forwards with a backwards-facing counter. wtf?

And just for the heck of it, you can do a "double reverse" counter and pull off the same things.

Input: [down+back (more down than back)]-[forward]

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
I found you can do those counter reversals as a counter slide. You can cover quite a distance like that, but it's ludicrously hard.

Top Bottom