• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PKAY FIAH! ~ Ness MU Discussion [INDEX PAGE + Various Discussions]

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
THE NEW IMPROVED MATCHUP DISCUSSION!

THIS INFORMATION IS OLD. We will be redoing each matchup for more accurate ratios, updated techniques, etc.

Overall match ups so far

Major advantages: 70-30

Advantages: 60-40
Lucas
Samus
Captain Falcon
Fox
Bowser
Jigglypuff

Slight advantages: 55-45
Ike
Link
ZSS
Olimar
Yoshi

Even: 50-50
Lucario
Sonic
Zelda
Kirby
Pikachu
Luigi

Slight disadvantage: 45-55
Falco
Peach
Pit
Ice Climbers
DK
Rob
Mario

Disadvantage: 40-60
Toon Link
Sheik
Metaknight
Wario
Dedede
Marth
Snake

Major disadvantage: 30-70

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
THIS INFO WILL BE EDITED OVER TIME, WE WILL BE REDISCUSSING EVERYTHING TOO (I'll edit this more a little later today guys)
- "PK STARSTOOOOORM!"​

S

:metaknight: Meta Knight:
1190 to 1228

:snake: Snake:
993 to 1032(revisit later since Snake board didn't respond much, well two offered their opinions)

1905 onward

:wario: Wario:
151 to 158

1324 to 1385

:falco: Falco:
1036 to 1128

:diddy: Diddy Kong:
1500 to 1679(With mini-Ike argument and a non-consensus)

2277 to...

Topic

:dedede: King DeDeDe:
946 to 992

A

:marth: Marth:
1665 to 1767 (Being largely ignored...)

Mr. Game & Watch:
Topic

:pikachu2: Pikachu:
517 to 545

:olimar: Olimar:
472-495(Needs a revisit as 1 Oli came here and there was a Mk tangent)

:popo: Ice Climbers
423 to 456

:rob: R.O.B.:
579 to 684

:kirby2: Kirby:
267 to 322

B

:lucario: Lucario:
1807 to 1891(With Olimar tangent)

:zerosuitsamus: Zero Suit Samus:
323 to 364

:toonlink:: Toon Link
133 to 141(Very short. Rediscussion later?)

:pit: Pit:
373 to 421

:dk2: Donkey Kong:
167 to 194

549 to 578

C

:peach: Peach:
Post 16 to 34

:luigi2: Luigi:
1247 to 1324

:fox: Fox - {60:40} :
Our MU Discussion: 918 to 946(maybe a bit more discussion?) ~ The Fox Board's MU Discussion thread

:wolf: Wolf
Topic

:sonic: Sonic
142 to 149(Very short. Rediscussion later?)

:shiek: Sheik:
237 to 251

1408 to 1417

D

:bowser2: Bowser - {60:40} :
Our MU Discussion: 1129 to 1189 ~ The Bowser Board's MU Discussion thread

:zelda: Zelda:
195 to 228

:ike: Ike:
Post 34 to 45

457 to 470

501-513

E

:lucas: Lucas - {60:40}:
Our MU Discussion: Post 3 to 15 ~ The Lucas Board's MU Discussion thread

:mario2: Mario
Post 46 to 96

688 to 813(Pretty heated discussion in there)

:ness2: Ness:
1417 to 1453

:yoshi2: Yoshi:
1453 to 1487

:samus2: Samus - {60:40}:
Our MU Discussion :post 99 to 131 ... Also 159 to 166 ~ The Samus Board's MU Discussion thread

F

:jigglypuff: Jigglypuff - {60:40} :
Our MU Discussion: 1230 to 1245 ~ The Jigglypuff Board's MU Discussion thread

:falcon: Captain Falcon - {60:40} :
Our MU Discussion: 824 to 916(A lot of Game & Watch interruptions though) ~ The Falcon Board's MU Discussion thread

:link2: Link:
229 to 235(Very short)

:ganondorf: Ganondorf:
1385 to 1408

*animation credited to Rock Candy*

Levitas

the moon
Be careful what you're saying. I've got two major corrections before I say my stuff.
1. Bsticking is defensive. Lucas will never approach with it, and will never approach.
2. Ness shouldn't use his dsmash in this matchup, and his usmash is very offensive.

Other than that, mind your approach. The best ways are either WoP style with Nairs and a Dair or two, with a dashgrab, or with a dash attack/usmash.

His tilts are all faster by a good margin. Don't get in a melee fight on the ground, and if you're gonna have to, get close to him and do a jab combo. It leaves you vulnerable for the least time, even though if he jabs, you'll lose anyway.

Lucas likes to Nair and Dair into tilts. Prevent this by staying just out of his horizontal range, about a bat distance away should do. At this point, he can only nair, pk fire, or dsmash you, and it should be easy to jump over the latter two or punish the nair with your own higher priority nair.

Be prepared for a zap jump recovery by being directly over them and nairing as they come up. If you know exactly when the jump's coming, a dair may work even better.

Avoid PKT shennanigans against lucas, his PsiM comes out way too fast for that or PK fire to be of much use. It also can hit as early as frame 16, which is faster than any of your smashes by a margin. That, and it kills at a little above 100%.

Lucas will have trouble outranging your fair, so that's the safest approach, but also the least damaging.

Lucas will still bstick against Ness sparingly, and it will work, but it's nothing to worry about. Don't use PsiM, and definately don't sit still in it. Lucas is pretty quick in the air, and can simply Wavebounce his own PsiM at you for a rather quick punishment.

I have a gut feeling that Lucas's grab release leads to an Fsmash.

I have reliable knowledge that lucas can tilt lock you after 100%, so avoid the setup by teching any dairs that hit you over 100%

That's what I've got so far.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
With some more testing Lucas cannot grab release fmash you. BUT he can grab release forward tilt you.

PS: What is your opinion on the matchup? Even, slight advantage?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Lucas cannot infinite Ness. All you need to do is DI back as you are released and time a spotdodge.

I would say Lucas is about 6-4 to Ness, Ness having the upper hand.

Try to stay in the air. Your aerials should outprioritize his tilts which surpass yours (minus dtilt). I wouldnt say his smashes are more useful though, just remember to be careful with spotdodge and rolling. Usmash is the situational 70% killing machine that could screw you up if you roll wrong, and neves spotdodge a dsmash.

Lucas' PKF can be absorbed of course, but you have to be a bit careful. Try to PSIM lag cancel whenver possible.

I would make some changes to the matchup list above also.
Wolf goes into heavy disadvantage.
MK also.
Squirtle to neutral.
Sheik to slight disadvantage
Snake also.
G&W to average disadvantage.
Charizard to heavy disadvantage.
Sonic, Lucario, and Icys to slight advantage.

I have some questions too. Why is ZSS a disadvanatge, and why are Wario and ROB so low?

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Wario can grab release Fsmash you. Heavy, amazing recovery.
Rob is a wall of priority. He's also heavy, and not susceptible to the backthrow.

I put Ness at a slight advantage on squirtle due to his light frame, making him susceptable to the backthrow. But im willing to change it.

G&W is hell on Ness. The turtle is a pain. Bucket means no psi moves, and gimping his recovery is a breeze.

What do IC's,Lucario,Sonic have on Ness?
It's been argued that Ness=Sonic

Charizard's infinite isn't horrible. Ness can avoid him with b-sticked PK moves, and eventually win. I might change it to disadvantage though.

EDIT: Never mind, you mean't Ness>IC,Lucario, and Sonic? I need more proof.

Are you kidding me? Sheik can ftilt lock Ness out of a grab release. (luckily she can't upsmash out of it.)

Need more feedback on wolf.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
No I meant Ness does slightly well on the Icys and Lucario. Ness is just naturally good at seperating the Icys and stopping their approaches. Lucario is generally attactched to the air, but I believe Ness' fair can beat out most of what he can dish out.

I say Ness has a slight advanatage over Sonic because of his many ways to deal with his approaches and how we generally outprioritize him also.

Charizard will only be a slight disadvanatage if you counterpick a stage. If not, you're going to meet his jaw.

Care to explain ZSS also?

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Zss is a mistake on my part.

unfortunately, I can t update now. (on my wii) I will update later.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
There was a huge thread on Sheik. We agreed that it was a slight disadvantage to Ness. I still dont think the ftilt lock is so horrible, but even then, Sheik cannot KO very well around the percent you can escape at.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
Guess my playstyle is weird, my ordering looks nothing like that.

But on-topic, i think you should remove the ordering from the first post, and update it for each week pending the character discussion. Otherwise, like now, we will have constant disputes about every character and not a central focus to have an intelligent discussion. It's supposed to be Lucas this week, but I see what? 2 worthwhile posts regarding Lucas?

personally, Raw hatred of Lucas makes this a really good matchup in my favor...f-air, n-air, and u-air; he really cant stop em all that well at all. Punishment on missed grabs are easy kills/fire-locks(cant magnet)/bats. My two cents.

Levitas

the moon
Unless you can go from aiming the pk thunder at him to hitting him with the pkt2 in literally half a second, PKT2 mindgames are ineffective. It takes less than 30 frames even really sloppily executed to drop a magnet and put up a shield.

I'd put it at a little better than a 6/4 in favor of Ness.

And NessOnett is right, remove the ordering so that the discussion can be more meaninful.

CometStar

Smash Apprentice
On the ground, Lucas's PKF will outrange your own so try to limit yourself to aerial PKF's if possible. And even then he can absorb percent from the pillar of fire if you let him. Use PKF very sparingly.

Lucas's bair will spike as well as his dair on the third kick.

His PSI magnet can be a pain not only because it can absorb your attacks for health but unlike Ness can also be used as a melee attack with moderate knockback. Don't rush in for a hit unless you know he is going to take it down and you can punish the lag.

The stick has less startup lag than the bat so don't get in a fsmash contest; you will lose.
Good Lucas's will use their zap jump in order to recover giving them extra vertical height.

Lucas's PKT will cancel your own, but this can work both ways he may try to steal your thunder with his own when you are trying to recover but you can do the same to him.

Absorb Lucas's PK attacks but his PK Freeze will heal for a good sum of percent and it heals more than you'd think.

I believe Ness has a much stronger aerial game than Lucas but I could be wrong.

That is all I can think of for now, may update more if I remember anything else. Just as a general question, anyone know which of Lucas's attacks will outprioritize Ness's?

Levitas

the moon
Lucas's attacks aren't usually more than 8% more than whatever Ness will be doing at the moment, so there'll usually be a clank. Massive priority on lucas's dsmash and usmash, though.

As far as aerials, a rising Dair from a lucas will not be beat by a uair, as it is quite disjointed when lucas is rising.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
I fought a peach before and had no idea what to do. I asked some peach mainers for advice and they told be to use fair spam. Basically it hard to punish and it catches turnips. Peach is good in her air game though,especially when your stuck close to the ground, and dair rips shields and you cant always grab her out of it.(which is what I like to do when people use dair moves like that.)

Levitas

the moon
Dodge through turnips, watch out for glide tossing, get her in the air, destroy her in the air.

Ness has better aerial priority than peach by a good margin, and his nair will rip through her if she's on one side or the other. uair beats her dair, but don't be above her.

Use a standard game on the ground, you really just want her in the air.

Note that Peach as an above average edgeguarding game, and a good edgehogging technique. Make it to the stage if she's just floating next to the edge, or you will get edgehogged.

Someone get Edrees to post here, I have a feeling he knows more about this than I do.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
This matchup's pretty even on the ground. Peach has angles on Ness, but Ness has the priority on his aerials. It's hard for Peach to figure out those angles but when she does it's hard for Ness to deal with it because essentially Peach floats and waits for it. PK fire is useless. You might want to use more Yoyo than usual here as well to knock her out of low height floats. Up air is pretty dang good at killing her though.

However..this all changes when Ness is trying to recovery. The ledge is NOT an option, it's really easy for her to grab it the instant he hits it, causing him to bounce off. So he has to go over. Thing is if she knows her spacing she can float along with PKT2 and just punish it after. Also it's not unusual to get an upsmash on a Ness who overshoots PKT2, and her upsmash is very dangerous when she can actually hit it. Peach can also down air the pk thunder, as well as neutral air it, to neutralize it without much trouble. It's a pretty close battle but Peach owns the edgeguarding. It's very hard to spike her as well. Peach advantaged 55 or 60. to 45 or 40 Ness.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
This matchup's pretty even on the ground. Peach has angles on Ness, but Ness has the priority on his aerials. It's hard for Peach to figure out those angles but when she does it's hard for Ness to deal with it because essentially Peach floats and waits for it. PK fire is useless. You might want to use more Yoyo than usual here as well to knock her out of low height floats. Up air is pretty dang good at killing her though.

However..this all changes when Ness is trying to recovery. The ledge is NOT an option, it's really easy for her to grab it the instant he hits it, causing him to bounce off. So he has to go over. Thing is if she knows her spacing she can float along with PKT2 and just punish it after. Also it's not unusual to get an upsmash on a Ness who overshoots PKT2, and her upsmash is very dangerous when she can actually hit it. Peach can also down air the pk thunder, as well as neutral air it, to neutralize it without much trouble. It's a pretty close battle but Peach owns the edgeguarding. It's very hard to spike her as well. Peach advantaged 55 or 60. to 45 or 40 Ness.
You forgot the backthrow. Pretty useful. PK fire is NOT USELESS. B-sticking, PK jump, PK ledgefire, hell check in with EB360 on the list of moves that can be abused.

Recovery wise, I can say the same with Peach. Ness double jump is quite good, and usually has some good distance (air movement) Peach has no double jump! Mean
ing she will usually have to go for her Up B, making her easy to spike with Dair. Her recovery is also predictable.

Using PKT2 precisely to lag cancel stops her attempts at an easy Upsmash.

I say it's 50-50Her lightness screws her over for the backthrow, and spiking a Peach (or successfully using PK flash) has never been easier.

Pretty good though.

PS: Don't want to sound forceful eh, but if you do main Ness/Peach, why don't you post here?

Levitas

the moon
I'm just wondering how you plan to spike peach through her umbrella, which has nuts priority.

PK fire comes out slow, and has a lot of lag. If you want numbers, check my frame data thread.

I'm thinking 55-45 peach, things look pretty even from where I stand, but I def. respect Edrees's opinion, as he's been quite successful with both characters to my knowledge.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
I'm just wondering how you plan to spike peach through her umbrella, which has nuts priority.

PK fire comes out slow, and has a lot of lag. If you want numbers, check my frame data thread.

I'm thinking 55-45 peach, things look pretty even from where I stand, but I def. respect Edrees's opinion, as he's been quite successful with both characters to my knowledge.
Meh, Spiking Peach comes with her jumping, Her parasol can be attacked via PK flash, but I do see where your coming from. 55- 45 makes sense too but... Peach doesn't have a perfect recovery skills (she's a good edge guarder though)

Do NOT want to sound like a fanboy though. I should try Peach's recover more often.

Uffe

Smash Hero

Yeah, Peach is pretty tough to spike. You could try to pillar spike her, but that doesn't mean she won't be able to come back. I've fought a good Peach player and a really crappy one. I have to say that Peach could build a wall for Ness by throwing her turnips and then try and land some other attacks while she's at it. But yeah, a 55-45 if not 50-50 sounds about right.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
I'm not a well-known Smasher but I'll try to give my opinion on this otherwise. ;)

I play a Ness close to my skill level and I say its pretty close since it depends more on who is more experienced with this matchup. (obviously?)

Either 50-50 or 55-45 Peach's favor.

Ness's fair seem very good against her. And it also catches her turnips for all that's worth.

As EdreesesPieces said, Ness has some trouble getting back onto the stage. Peach can edge guard Ness fairly well with her turnips. ( maybe aerials too) She can also steal the ledge by floating nearby and clinging onto it when he PKT2s ( is that the right term?) If timed right, Ness hits the stage and falls to his death because of the invincibility frames for Peach ledge grabbing (w/e its called) .

I don't get spiked by Ness to often with Peach. I think its cause its pretty hard to spike her. ( Parasol Protection?) ;)

Another thing you guys should do is discuss stages that you guys have an advantage on/ should ban/ disadvantage on.

Neutral: I think that stages with platforms such as Battlefield, Lylat Cruise, etc. give Peach a slight advantage. The platforms can mess up PK Fire if not used correctly. Peach can also float over PK Fire and punish. Her up smash and up-tilt can hit through platforms. At high percentages, staying on platforms may not be a good idea because Peach's up smash has a hidden hit box that passes through these and can be dangerous to an unsuspecting Ness. To make matters worse, this is a sweet spot that kills at relatively low percents.;)

As for counterpicks:

I don't know how well Ness does on Jungle Japes but many Peach mainers say that's her best stage. I'm just stating that info for little that its worth, you know?;)

Rainbow Cruise is also a good stage for Peach so maybe avoid that one too?

Not sure if this info is all right..... mostly talking from my experience. Hope it helped.;)

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Just a random statement here: characters like Peach and R.O.B. are susceptible to projectiles when they're floating/Up Bing because in order to dodge it, they have to stop whatever they're doing first before they can evade. My suggestion is that as soon as you get Peach over the edge, throw out PK Thunder. Tailwhip it because Peach can cancel the head with several attacks. You can also do this to knock her floating out of her, and then if you can act when she has to Up B, PK Fire her and follow up.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Just a random statement here: characters like Peach and R.O.B. are susceptible to projectiles when they're floating/Up Bing because in order to dodge it, they have to stop whatever they're doing first before they can evade. My suggestion is that as soon as you get Peach over the edge, throw out PK Thunder. Tailwhip it because Peach can cancel the head with several attacks. You can also do this to knock her floating out of her, and then if you can act when she has to Up B, PK Fire her and follow up.
So is Peach susceptible to the tailwhip? I mean when she floats. I usually never use PKT in this matchup while she floats due to her aerials. No air dodging means tailwhip>PKT2. Also, Peach is harder to spike than I thought.:dizzy: But a good bair can potential mean death to Peach if she's sent at a down ward angle.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Ness should definitely take her to Corneria if it's available.

Peachy: Rainbow Cruise would be good for Ness against Peach because it takes away her edgeguarding advantage. Ness has a very good vertical recovery with his double jump and Peach does not, I would say the match goes to his favor on that stage.

PK: I don't post here much anymore because I've decided to focus mainly on Peach awhile back. I still lurk sometimes for new info, and still use Ness every now and then. I don't cross main them, Ness is just my most used secondary. He's also my top choice against Ice Climbers now :)

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Ness should definitely take her to Corneria if it's available.

Peachy: Rainbow Cruise would be good for Ness against Peach because it takes away her edgeguarding advantage. Ness has a very good vertical recovery with his double jump and Peach does not, I would say the match goes to his favor on that stage.

PK: I don't post here much anymore because I've decided to focus mainly on Peach awhile back. I still lurk sometimes for new info, and still use Ness every now and then. I don't cross main them, Ness is just my most used secondary. He's also my top choice against Ice Climbers now :)
Makes sense. Corneria has low ceilings and the backthrow is quite powerful.
RC is my pretty solid CP for Ness due to his spiking skills.

Why is he good against the IC?

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
RC is my pretty solid CP for Ness due to his Edge guarding skills.

Can you really say Rainbow Cruise gives an advantage for Ness? I'm pretty sure Peach doesn't have any glaring bad qualities on that stage. Sure her Vertical Recovery isn't that great, but she can definetely keep up with the stage. ;) And if it really is a solid counter pick stage against Peach, how far would the advantage gap be?? What are the main reasons it would be in favor of Ness? I'm just curious how you guys came to the conclusion..;)

I think it looks sort of neutral in terms of advantages/disadvantages..

PKNintendo

Smash Master

Can you say Rainbow Cruise gives an advantage for Ness? I'm pretty sure Peach doesn't have any glaring bad qualities on that stage. And if it really is a solid counter pick stage against Peach, how far would the advantage gap be?? What are the main reasons it would be in favor of Ness? I'm just curious how you guys came to the conclusion..;)
Oops. I mean't Ness SPIKING SKILL.

Anyway. Peach doesn't have a stellar vertical recovery, and due to the stages moving nature, Ness will rarely be edgeguarded. (same goes for Peach) It's a battle of survival, and PK tailwhipping into PKT2 works well here as well. (characters are mostly in the air.)
Ness backthrow is even more effective due to low KO zones, and Peach's light frame.

The matchup doesn't drastically change. Probably a 55-45 for Ness.

Levitas

the moon
Peach waits for an appropriate spacing/lag to make her move. In a moving stage, she can't just sit in one place and expect an opening, so her game gets tougher. Meanwhile, instead of having to hit someone in the air and attack them while they're there like normal, Ness gets the benefit of having the battle start in the air, with the peach forced along a path that will give him opportunities automatically.

Levitas

the moon
He was talking about peach's kill moves. They kill soon after Peach can knock you off the stage in the form of edgeguarding.

Ike: he's an easy matchup. His only "fast" moves are his jab combo, utilt, and back air.

His Neutral air autocancels, so Nair > jab combo works.

His smashes all leave an impact if they hit, so don't let them.

His side b is useless because of PK thunder.

Bthrow kills at 145% or so (w/DI)

By playing smart and not leaving himself open, Ness should win by a stock or so. Instead of Normal WoP, attack whenever the Ike is in wind-down lag after he misses, and punish spot-dodges with grabs.

I'd say moderate advantage for Ness (7-3)

PKNintendo

Smash Master
He was talking about peach's kill moves. They kill soon after Peach can knock you off the stage in the form of edgeguarding.

Ike: he's an easy matchup. His only "fast" moves are his jab combo, utilt, and back air.

His Neutral air autocancels, so Nair > jab combo works.

His smashes all leave an impact if they hit, so don't let them.

His side b is useless because of PK thunder.

Bthrow kills at 145% or so (w/DI)

By playing smart and not leaving himself open, Ness should win by a stock or so. Instead of Normal WoP, attack whenever the Ike is in wind-down lag after he misses, and punish spot-dodges with grabs.

I'd say moderate advantage for Ness (7-3)
Makes sense. It kills earlier than 145% though, he's not THAT heavy.

Levitas

the moon
BTW, I find it easier to kill Ike on small stages, although it may seem a bit backwards.

Does anyone else find this true, or is that just me?

PKNintendo

Smash Master
BTW, I find it easier to kill Ike on small stages, although it may seem a bit backwards.

Does anyone else find this true, or is that just me?
Back throw works wonders on small stages. Bair also kills earlier. Ike's also has nowhere to run on small stages, and is quickly hunted down. :laugh:

Masky

Smash Master
Ike is one of the very few matchups where Ness has a clear advantage... PK Flash his up-b, just watch out for his jab and his jab cancel

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Ike is one of the very few matchups where Ness has a clear advantage... PK Flash his up-b, just watch out for his jab and his jab cancel
Perfect shield and counter with PK fire :bee:
or you can jab to jab cancel him back. (Ness has a nice jab cancel)

Top Bottom