• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Week 13: Diddy Kong

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallax

Smash Hero
Diddy Kong

General Discussion

Soon to Come

Pika's Advantages

??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Pika's Disadvantages

Strategy for Winning

Helpful Video's

Overall Matchup

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
There are two types of diddy, onewho uses bananas and one that doesn't. Pikachu and diddy have relatively the same range, fsmash and d tilt have more though. Pikachu has more priority though which diddy has trouble getting around. If diddy doesn't use his bananas it's fairly easy to win as long as you know what your doing.

When diddy uses bananas then the match gets More exciting. First, learn to use bananas yourself and use banana tactics like fatality fake, (throw down glide toss). If you don't know how to battle bananas your gonna find yourself tripping a lot and getting owned. It's experience to learn but you camget your own nanars combos. Dash attack and aerials will pick up bananas.

Diddy lacks kill moves. Fsmash and down smash will kill at 100% and they should only by you when slip on a banana. Fair kills at 150%. Rest his moves won't do much.

Side b, dair, and up b all will spike you.

Jolt > peanuts

Diddy has a lagless dash attack, his main combo starter. Downsmash > it though. That's all I have to say.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
please do, any info helps, i posted a video awhile back of pika getting ***** by diddy, so other than use the bananas to your advantage and the fact he can only have 2 out at once, so you can hold one since pikas specials are good so he has less to work with much like robs gyro, anything helps :)

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
yes he can, its just not as noticeable as other chars, like rob or snake or diddy <_<

and when i saw that vid i was like **** son im scared

plasmid

Smash Apprentice
That was by far the worst Pika I've ever seen. Ever.

On the matchup though. Without bananas Diddy is nothing. He does have the ability to be potentially annoying when he uses them, but overall I don't think it's much of a problem. It's easy enough to turn Diddy's bananas against him, or at least avoid them. On one note, QAC makes avoiding the banana's fairly easy. Also camping him is fairly easy as well since as Ussi said, Jolt > Peanuts.

All in all I'd say its an easy victory if you can avoid the nanners.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
There is one thing about this matchup that controls the match 100%
Naners.
Getting control of the bananas is the #1 priority hands down. Diddy is soo much easier when you can use bananas against him. Sadly, pikachu's throw is kinda laggy, but still. Pikachu can actually do some interesting things with bananas, and getting free F-smashes aren't bad. Don't try to edgeguard diddy too aggressively, for he has several things to do that can hit you and spike you, while aiding his own recovery. I think you can CG diddy, which can always help rack up %.
In the air, i would say diddy and pikachu are about even. On the ground, the advantage is whoever has the bananas. Off the ledge, i would say diddy has slight advantage. Overall, i would say they are even, but whoever controls the bananas more will probably win.

Ill edit and add more info later.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Once again , there are two types of Diddy , Those who use bananas and those who don't.
And those who don't, are total *******. The only thing that annoys me vs pikachu is his B button its very annoying but the side b cuts through it.

Scissors Sir

Smash Ace
At low % you can sometimes sneak in another fthrow if the diddy doesn't expect it. Can't be cg'd though.

And pika's glide toss... I can't remember which one it is (either forward reverse or backwards reverse) that got very good distance. Problem with it though is that it has to be frame perfect to get that good distance. If not, you go nowhere.

One thing I found useful doing in this matchup are what I call "early jolts." If you start a jolt quick enough after a jump, you'll be able to double jump before you land. You can do a few things with this

- use double jolt approaches w/o having to land and reset. And you'll still have one jolt fairly close to you travelling on the ground as you start the second if you're moving forward

- jump towards bananas that diddy has on the ground while jolting and make the diddy player think you're about to land on it. Sometimes the reaction is to get to you quickly and combo or grab. Your double jump over the banana will get you away from it and you can follow up accordingly depending on what the diddy does

** jump over bananas thrown from the ground due to the diddy player trying to time your fall from the jolt. If the diddy tries to do this you'll be close enough to jump over and punish.

I would also say get good at catching bananas in a variety of ways.

Catching them
- as they bounce off shield
- fast falling with air dodges
- while you're in the air

Picking them up with dash attack isn't really a good idea.

If you're not too sure what to do with the bananas, DON'T waste time throwin them off stage. The time you waste doing this will be used to make another one.

Instead you can put them in a spot where the diddy either has to fight his way past you to get them or wait until they disappear so he can respawn them.

You can basically jump around and bait some diddy players to use peanuts or bananas and fast fall catch them with air dodges

If you're dealing with a diddy who shieldcamps, with banana in hand, you can basically wait along with them. It's what they're doing to you right?

Because most of pika's approaches in that situation will get countered with a banana toss out of shield

Depending on your spacing you can use the tip above with ** next to it to get around that issue.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Something to point: Pikachu has one of the longest tripping animations, thus leaving more time for Diddy to punish. Still Pikachu makes it up for priority dominance. Pikachu kills faster than Diddy, but Diddy has 3 spikes.

Combos, they both combo each other equally.

50-50

ADHD

Smash Hero
Something to point: Pikachu has one of the longest tripping animations, thus leaving more time for Diddy to punish. Still Pikachu makes it up for priority dominance. Pikachu kills faster than Diddy, but Diddy has 3 spikes.

Combos, they both combo each other equally.

50-50
I agree 50-50 but you can't just say pick up the bananas. Diddy has so many glide toss stuff that its hard to deal with until you handle the matchup very well in experience

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Pikachu's perfectly timed glide toss is near twice the length of Diddy's though. We have some options with glide tossing.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Difficulty isn't a factor at top level play unless it's near impossible.

On that note, Pikas Glide Toss is easy :)

PhatyCHONG

Smash Apprentice
Diddy FTW! but, getting mad at bananas when jolt>pop gun and pikachus down smash, down B spam its equally annoying if not more. BTW that ninjalink video was just domination against pikachu (you should get a vid of pikachu owning diddy for a counter video) :D.

EDIT: I give it a 55:45 in diddy favor

Veng

Smash Ace
Yea Pikas Glide Toss is easy and Pikas trip animation is fail to the max.

If your one of the few willing to actually play Pika vs Diddy I would say 60-40 or 55-45 in Diddys favor.

Pikachus nair and aerials arent to laggy though so he can catch the naners but still horrible!

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Yea Pikas Glide Toss is easy and Pikas trip animation is fail to the max.

If your one of the few willing to actually play Pika vs Diddy I would say 60-40 or 55-45 in Diddys favor.

Pikachus nair and aerials arent to laggy though so he can catch the naners but still horrible!
"MRRGH!" goes the zombie thread. Veng, don't you ever have NOT complain about some aspect of Pikachu? Seriously, now...

On-topic: Getting the glide toss down is not enough against a really good Diddy. Perhaps there is as much practice involved mastering QAC as there is mastering Bananas. And QAC doesn't protect you from the latter...

neji32

Smash Lord
Pikas glide 6oss goes FAR!!! 35-65 def but still gets easy if you know the match up and the dont. dont spot dodge naners shield roll or shield attack, trust me

Veng

Smash Ace
Not really, I was just pointing out that he has no range for spacing period except d tilt which is out ranged by almost every other characters tilt.

Diddy vs Pika isn't even a matchup that most pikas do anyways, they just use MK or Lucario or who ever they second.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Pikas glide 6oss goes FAR!!! 35-65 def but still gets easy if you know the match up and the dont. dont spot dodge naners shield roll or shield attack, trust me
I don't think it's THAT bad, lol. Diddy only ***** that hard on flat stages. You're forgetting that you can counterpick the shiz out of him, stage-wise. Take him to Norfair (or RC, since Norfair's usually banned) and see if it's 35:65 then.

...roflmfao :laugh:
I laugh every time I see that too, lol. What Diddy doesn't use bananas? :dizzy:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
hey hey hey, that was so long ago. I actually knew a diddy who tried to win without using bananas but failed miserably.

AZ HERO

Smash Rookie
I agree 50-50 but you can't just say pick up the bananas. Diddy has so many glide toss stuff that its hard to deal with until you handle the matchup very well in experience
I agree with ADHD on this one. Pika's range is not very good but diddy cannot out range us as much as mk or marth.

Sorry for second post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom