• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's weaknesses

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I think it's best as a Luigi board community get to know what Luigi's weaknesses and know how to confront and overcome them so that we won't have to worry about it in our game. There's no point in leaving weaknesses aside. I'll give a rundown on all of the Luigi's weaknesses that I can think of. Feel free to post any other weaknesses that I haven't included.

I'll do all my best to find ways to to overcome these weaknesses and as well you can post another way in overcoming them. So please everyone put some ideas and thoughts into it and hopefully progress with Luigi's meta-game :laugh:

Let's get started shall we?

Sucks against campers

I thought we'd get a better insight on this. We all know what kind of campers there are. They can play a effective defensive game and force Luigi to approach them. With Luigi's approachs being limited, this could pose a threat. Such as let's say ICs for example. They can spam their iceblocks faster then you due to that Nana can use as well. It will most likely force you to approach, and run in without being careful and getting shieldgrabbed and getting infinited to the pits of hell. Also I'd pick stages with platforms as well so that you can avoid projectile spam, control the platforms and look for a opening to start off combos or punish them badly.

6/23/09

This is still a somewhat a weakness, but not as bad before. Powershielding a very vital part of Luigi's game really erases this. Walk>PS lets us get inside slowly depending on our foe. If you've read on my how to get better luigi guide, you'd know you can pull ALOT of things from doing a walking to a PS. Campers majority of the time LOVE TO SPAM PROJECTILES (Snake is a different beingbtw) Though aircamping we will need to get into since many characters are rising in this category. Will fix abit later; grateful if anyone can add to this category since our meta-game has changed and campers aren't crazy hard as before.

Predictable recovery

Yeah we all know Luigi's god tier material for his crazy insane recovery. But note that, it's so repetitive that, Luigi has no anti-ledgeguard tools to be 100% sure that he'll make on to the stage alive without getting ko'd or slaughtered. Compared to his older brother, Mario, he has a more reliable fireball and a cape just incase he'll be gimped. But on behalf of Luigi, if hes hit offstage, in a more digonally upper right or left angle, it'd most likely to charge a green missle to aim for that sweetspot. But a good ledgeguarder such as Falco who has a really good Bair, his hitbox lasts a while just enough to ko you while in a green missle. We all also know the insane vertical height Luigi can gain with the tornado. I mean sure it's great and all but all they have to do is throw a projectile like ICs' iceblock or stage spike you and your pretty much screwed over also losing your second jump as well.

I really can't think of anything but just try to make yourself unpredictable so you won't be punished.

Crap projectile

As I said stated above earlier. Luigi's projectile can pretty much cancel any other projectile except for the ones that can be charged (Ex: Lucario , Samus). It travels in a parallel way and travels slowly but really, you can't effectively play defensive or have safe approachs with it. Mario can camp alot better with his fireball. Luigi's fireball isn't a great anti-ledgeguard tool.
Well since he does have a crap projectile it still great for pressuring for those who don't have a projectile (ex Ike and MK) Luigi's fireball still plays a big role in his moveset and can be firelock'd with.

Sucks nuts on the ledge

Luigi's get up attacks are so unreliable. All the oppennent has to do is just space himself out of Luigi's range and your options are very limited. Not to mention the get up attack when Luigi's 100%+ is shortranged, and slow. A ledgehop Fair sucks nuts too since its so short on range. If you roll your screwed in the nuts. The best you can do is a fireball ledgehop stall so that your oppenent will be forced to come and try to gimp you off the stage. Or you can try a ledgehop to a rising tornado so you'll be out of range but due to Luigi's floatyiness and his ability to get back to the stage safely, you might be punished. Also you can try to mindgame them by simply letting go of the edge and firejumppunch or a regular jump to regrab the edge and repeat so that way they'll be caught off guard.

Total sucks bawls in moving in the air
Luigi's slowsauce and 2nd slowest in terms of aerial movement nuff said'

Unreliable spikes.

Luigi has 3 spikes but all situational and highly unreliable. He has the taunt spike. Unless you get lucky, then gg to you. He has a dtilt spike very small hitbox. Hell, what kind of oppenent stays on the edge that frikken long!?. He has the Dair spike. This is probably best spike but totally unreliable. It has a small hitbox somewhere behind him where he twirls his arms. Master this you'll be shining great.

Lacks range

He really does.. except for his Bair though. People who can outrange him in terms of air and ground *coughsDKcoughs* then you'll more likely to go defensive which Luigi kinda lacks in. The best way, is to look for a opening and punish.

The essence of shieldgrabbing your oppenent

Well we all know Luigi's low traction right? Whenever he takes a full blown powerful hit while having your shield up, he'll slide away from his/her oppenent making you unable to shieldgrab. Shield grabbing could mean life or death, win or lose match. Powershielding is highly important for Luigi's game because if your potentally outspaced when he gets hit while shielding. This may even lead to him off the edge and you don't wanna deal with some characters off the edge (Hi Mario). I guess power shielding and spacing is best way for this weakness.

Um I honestly can't tell if we've fixed this or not lol. Cause my point in powershielding still stands and powershielding can just 80% of the time erase that "sliding away " feature. Again read my how to get better luigi guide under PSing guide. Also we have better OOS options if we don't get a shield grab lol.

Getting shieldgrabbed sucks effin d**k!!

It's similar to the one I said above but it's with you getting shieldgrabbed. Srsly, once your shieldgrabbed from going into combo demon mode, your screwed in the *** big time. Shieldgrabbing a Luigi's Nair hurts big time since alot of Luigi's like to to fit 2 aerials in a SH and being as Nair is a great combo starter in the 2nd aerial, your stopped in your tracks in comboing them. What I like to do is, SH Dair and watch carefully if they did shield the Dair even before you were going to do it, I'd just airdodge away from them so that I won't get punished. So Dair to a airdodge DI-ing away from them works wonders for me.

Poor defensive ground game

Yeah, there are those times where you'll have to be defensive on the ground (coughsMKcoughs). Luigi isn't the greatest at that. He has a fireball, sometimes a Ftilt, a dtilt you have to be in close range to trip them. Tornado isn't great defensive only best as offstage gimp tool or a approach or set them up in the air. The only best defensive ground game I can think of is probably a SH fireballs and decents ftilts and maybe some occasional Dsmashs and alot of shield grabbing. Anyone with a surperior offensive ground game (Dk >.>) will **** you hands down unless you do something about it.

Um yeah, it's still a weakness compared to others, but NOT TOO DRASTIC lol. I mean, we have a number of OOS options in particular, OOS jab comes to mind, our FFAD/buffering combines our air game to ground game, particularly the useful sliding jab, and alot of sliding moves lol. Sliding Dsmash/Fsmash, crawldashing (formindgames <3) So techanically our offensive game, is our defensive game as well.

6/23/09

Infinites were meant to be banned duh

Yes.. I'm sorry but ICs and D3 does have a infinite on Luigi and there's not much you can do about it. Mostly playing patient, defensive game, spacing and not getting grab is the only vital things.

Um yeah, maybe it's just in NY and hopefully for all other states except for Polmex cause FL dun ban infinites at all LOL. jk ily <3. But yeah, D3 infinite shouldn't really be a weakness ONLY IN TOURNEY WISE IF THEY BANNED IT OKAY. I really don't know about ICs infinites but I'm assuming it's banned for now, but someone will correct me on this.

6/23/09

Omg I got punished for doing a shoryuken! NUBSZ!

Yeah pretty much says it all. If you miss with upb shoryuken, don't expect to be happy and let you off. You'll be totally open for punishment unless you quickly DI to a platform or DI-ing and fastfalling to a edge to grab so you'd have the invicibility frames.

This is still a weakness, but after Magus completing his unblockable/inescapable follow up jabs, we have so many mindgames to pull a shoryuken off. Combining mindgames (overly use bad use word tbh atm) we really shouldn't be getting punished for a upb. The things we do with a jab (meat of luigis game) should always keep our foe guessing and may be unblockable for some chars. But otherwise, using it in a unthinkable manner WILL DEFINITELY get you punished. Also remember that stages/time/character/staleness what not, should be taken accounted for.

6/23/09

Mk Bl0wz a$$ m4n!!

That we all know. That's why we're forced to go with a secondary unless you have the man power to take out this little blue pipsqueak behind the mask.

edit: um yeah we can really push this matchup to 35/65 or 4/6 Mk but that'd be just dumb LOL this will always be a weakness as soon further in the future, the luigi metagame will corrupt and many will leave him helpless because of the mk matchup. so yeah **** u mks ur gona **** us up cuz of ur brokenness -.-

6/23/09

Alright so can anyone think of anything else? I'm pretty sure I missed some key ideas on his weaknesses. So you guys have any other ways to overcome the green machine's weaknesses?

Discuss nao.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
Well, I would believe that his up b should be punishable if it missed, since you know, it's one of the strongest moves in the game.

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
I've found that there are ways to avoid getting shield grabbed and possibly landing a nair attack. Basically, use your dair to nair approach, but instead of trying to get as close as possible to your opponent, attempt to DI away from them. Try to get your nair to just barely touch your opponent. If they happen to shield, you will hit off of their shield and away far enough to not get shield grabbed.

There are a few tricks to avoid getting punished for a missed upB. Usually di-ing back nad forth above the opponent confuses them as to which direction to attack. Pick a side and hope they smash the wrong way. Using platforms are good too, mix it up, sometimes fall straight through the platform while other times land on the platform.

As far as campers go, those guys really are punks, haha. Against falcos, i literally find myself taking full jumps over to their side of the stage. THere is just no way to successfully short hop anything over to them, especially if they have the short hope DL down. Take a full jump over there and come down with a tornado. The biggest thing is to stay patient. As a Luigi player, I find myself anxious to attack and trying to stay in the face of the opponent. That is the worst way to play against most characters, including DDD and Falco. Take your time with these opponents, there's no way you can beat them fast. You can combo some but don't try forcing it. Lay back if you put in a 30-40% combo, wait it out some. And try not to get grabbed!

Another way to approach and avoid the dreaded shield grab. Approach with a tornado, but right as you get close to your opponent, tap b some so that your tornado goes up a little but doesn't go above the opponent. It's a good way to not get grabbed!

More when I think about it!

TheMann

Smash Ace
The one I agree with most is the sucks against campers, thats why I hate space animals XD. Also he's so slow in the air he can kinda get predictable. Luckily he has high priority to help with that a lil.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
I agree wit him ^

hippie u said it all. One thing that works..

Jab....grab. Hahah man, so many people have played me that, they shield so long after a grab xD. Works all the time. Oh an...

If you catch some1 in the air with a jab, 100% upB always lands. Also, if a kirby player goes all the way to the ground with his downB, easy upB. Big hitbox, cant miss

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
What you mean terrible tourney result?
He doesn't place in tournaments very good, he is horrible, if he were a bit more popular he might make it, but for such a good character with the lowest tourney results, thats not gonna help him :(

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
He doesn't place in tournaments very good, he is horrible, if he were a bit more popular he might make it, but for such a good character with the lowest tourney results, thats not gonna help him :(
Yes, tis true. This thread makes me sad to see so many weaknesess, but at least they arn't that severe overall, aside from the infinites.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
To add on:

Luigi's airdodge and sidesteps don't last very long so he can't wait out attacks by dodging unlike other characters with longer air dodges.

...At least, I THINK his sidestep/air dodge have different frames. I need to recheck and compare. >.<

Ryan-K

Smash Master
ok so his weaknesses are he has bad spikes, a bad projectile, and a move that kills at 40 that can be punished?

wow it's amazing you guys get by.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
ok so his weaknesses are he has bad spikes, a bad projectile, and a move that kills at 40 that can be punished?

Wario's fat.. but he's fast and doesn't die very easily..he even has good aerials (pretty good at juggling too), a bike (which makes recovery insane), a B move that pretty much stops everything, strong smashes, and he's placing well in tournies..
So you're here to criticize Luigi why?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
You forgot one, Terrible Tourney Result, he is last now :(
I was thinking of that. I almost cried seeing Luigi dead last.
This can't be Emblem Lord's alt now can it... ;)

Are you dead serious Shy Guy?

EDIT: Yeah it's true. Luigi is down in the doldrums right now. :(
Wut you mean EL alt ? >.>
To add on:

Luigi's airdodge and sidesteps don't last very long so he can't wait out attacks by dodging unlike other characters with longer air dodges.

...At least, I THINK his sidestep/air dodge have different frames. I need to recheck and compare. >.<
I was also thinking of his sidestep and poor airdodge as well. I'm a spotdodger abuser and yet I still can get punished by a hugeass Aura Sphere :[ I'll add that right away.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
1) what does being from LI have to do with anything lol
2) wario is overrated as hell
3) I've used luigi in tourney before and he is easier to use than wario plus he ***** wario

and what do tourney results have to do with anything LMAO that's player skill that's irrelevant to the character. it's not luigi's fault that noone plays him

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
1) what does being from LI have to do with anything lol
2) wario is overrated as hell
3) I've used luigi in tourney before and he is easier to use than wario plus he ***** wario

and what do tourney results have to do with anything LMAO that's player skill that's irrelevant to the character. it's not luigi's fault that noone plays him
The reason why tourney results matter because we'd want to know where Luigi stands (yeah dead last cries) and how well hes doing in those tourneys and if people use him or not.
Is that suppose to a match we're or me suppose to critique? o.0

PKNintendo

Smash Master

Yes.. I'm sorry but ICs and D3 does have a infinite on Luigi and there's not much you can do about it. Mostly playing patient, defensive game, spacing and not getting grab is the only vital things.

There was no point in saying IC. They're infinite on Luigi is identical to all of the other characters. You should have just listed IC.

PS: 75% of those weaknesses can be applied to Mario too.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero

There was no point in saying IC. They're infinite on Luigi is identical to all of the other characters. You should have just listed IC.

PS: 75% of those weaknesses can be applied to Mario too.
Yeah but some people think of the word infinite, it comes to their mind D3 hands down. But then again it doesn't hurt to mention ICs eh? *cries i got reped by them the other day T.T lol* Well duh of course it can be applied to Mario lol. What I like about Mario he has anti ledge guard tools and situational stuffs. But let's not get off topic with that.

I think the biggest weakness personally for myself is, getting shieldgrabbed out of my Nair. It pisses me off when I'm about to go crazy combos >.>

3xSwords

Smash Lord

I believe this had some sarcasm, b/c the problem you guys deal with aren't that bad compared to Wario.

Having a projectile is better than having none, Wario's bike recovery is very easily gimped just people don't know how I guess, Wario can't spike, and Wario has a grab release animation that can be infinited or abused with easier timing than D3 and IC's infinite. (Although Zamus infinite is pretty difficult I hear)

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I believe this had some sarcasm, b/c the problem you guys deal with aren't that bad compared to Wario.

Having a projectile is better than having none, Wario's bike recovery is very easily gimped just people don't know how I guess, Wario can't spike, and Wario has a grab release animation that can be infinited or abused with easier timing than D3 and IC's infinite. (Although Zamus infinite is pretty difficult I hear)
please just hush. This isn't constructive.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
To add on:

that doesn't have to be a bad thing in all cases. A shorter air dodge does mean you have to predict the attack better, but it also means there is less time you have to wait before you can do another move.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I think the biggest weakness personally for myself is, getting shieldgrabbed out of my Nair. It pisses me off when I'm about to go crazy combos >.>
Are they falling nairs? Those are alot easier to predict (especially right after a dair... everyone does dair>nair....) and against someone who knows it's coming, a falling nair is asking to be shieldgrabbed. Perhaps trying to aim the nair at their back?

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Luigi really only has one serious weakness. It's your mom. He just can't get enough.

He tries so hard to stay away. But in the end, he's addicted to your mom's sweet, sweet candy.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
hippiedude92 said:
Sucks against campers

I thought we'd get a better insight on this. We all know what kind of campers there are. They can play a effective defensive game and force Luigi to approach them. With Luigi's approachs being limited, this could pose a threat. Such as let's say ICs for example. They can spam their iceblocks faster then you due to that Nana can use as well. It will most likely force you to approach, and run in without being careful and getting shieldgrabbed and getting infinited to the pits of hell. Also I'd pick stages with platforms as well so that you can avoid projectile spam, control the platforms and look for a opening to start off combos or punish them badly.
Um not so much... Actually for me this is not a problem, falling tornados or aerial usage can completely override projectiles. As for the IC's I haven't had the experience of facing a good one yet but as for other campers, falling tornado can override or cancel projectiles, normal tornado cancels most projectiles, and aerials have kind of a same effect. Sorry I can't write more in depth (And I won't be on all week as well). Dealing with all the university stuff.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
You know the funny thing is, as good as that Luigi was, he still wasn't even using his potential that well. He barely ever used the fireball, no sliding up-smashes, no shield grabs. Never even saw a ***+fire uppercut combo.

That stuff you named in the OP really isn't that big of a problem. His projectile may be weak but it's very spammable and has good stun when you use it properly.

His fall speed is Luigi's strength. It's what allows him to chain five aerials in a single jump. And as for the sliding across the stage after a strong hit, everyone does that.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
That stuff you named in the OP really isn't that big of a problem. His projectile may be weak but it's very spammable and has good stun when you use it properly.

His fall speed is Luigi's strength. It's what allows him to chain five aerials in a single jump. And as for the sliding across the stage after a strong hit, everyone does that.

I know that. The stuff I named does have drawbacks and strengths. And the low traction thing, everyone does it, but Luigi slides the farthest which is why mofo powershielding is needed which I totally suck nuts on lol.

How is Mk not a problem? lol.

I know that. The stuff I named does have drawbacks and strengths.
Wait, what? How can a list of weaknesses have any strengths at all? Surely that'd be i a "Luigi's Quirks That May Seem A Bit Crappy But In Actuality Help Him" list. Just saying, like SwastikaPyle said, some of these aren't really weaknesses, especially not crippling weaknesses.

And the low traction thing, everyone does it, but Luigi slides the farthest which is why mofo powershielding is needed which I totally suck nuts on lol.
No Johns. Just practice at PS in Training and you'll be fine. For example, I practiced by having a friend fire off Jabs from assorted characters at random times.

How is Mk not a problem? lol.
MK is the antichrist. Everyone has a problem with him. D:

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
You know the funny thing is, as good as that Luigi was, he still wasn't even using his potential that well. He barely ever used the fireball, no sliding up-smashes, no shield grabs. Never even saw a ***+fire uppercut combo.

There's no Luigi player that puts everyone in awe. There's certainly some good ones but you're always left thinking: they could do better. Because of that we can't accurately gauge Luigi's potential.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Wait, what? How can a list of weaknesses have any strengths at all? Surely that'd be i a "Luigi's Quirks That May Seem A Bit Crappy But In Actuality Help Him" list. Just saying, like SwastikaPyle said, some of these aren't really weaknesses, especially not crippling weaknesses.

No Johns. Just practice at PS in Training and you'll be fine. For example, I practiced by having a friend fire off Jabs from assorted characters at random times.

Lol just fyi, that was sacrasm.

MK is the antichrist. Everyone has a problem with him. D:
I did not say all of them. For a example, sure his projectile is crap compared to others BUT it is still a strength because of it's role in it's moveset. It's still proves a strength and advantageous against others like Ike. Sure, he doesnt have weaknesses ( actually he does but that's not the point), but the point is to how to overcome weaknesses. We can't just leave weaknesses there and not learn how to over come them.

Mk is problem. Hes blue, hes a *****, he uses whorenado, hes for gey tier nuff said. ( Lol yeah sorry for the flame, its just true >.< )

Lol just fyi, that was sacrasm about PS. Of course it'd be great if I'd could do it 100% at a time.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Luigi's projectile is a weakness that you can turn into a strength IMO. It's my favorite move refresher. I like to use it at the end of combos to try and get an extra hit.

But I wish it went farther. If it was maybe twice as long it would go a long way towards forcing people into the air. However I do find it useful on characters that are hard to approach. When they get campy, get close enough, then pester them with it to force them to take some sort of action.

DK2

Smash Apprentice
All I know Snake is the campiest character I know and that mistake was on me because Final Destination is a bad place to go against Snake with Luigi.

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
a good luigi gimps , btw ppl whats your favorite gimp move ? or at least which is the one you use the most to gimp offstage im curious

Top Bottom