• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No damage from grab attacks?

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Hey guys. I don't have much time to write this since I'm just heading out. Unfortunately, that also means I don't have any time to test this.

So anyway, me and this random SB guy are playing online. He's using Samus, I'm using Bowser. I'm winning 3 stocks to 2, on Animal Crossing.

So Samus grabs me and starts pummeling my face in. So I'm button mashing, and mashing, and mashing. Then (and no, I have no idea why I decided to do this), and held down Shield and Up on the Control Stick.

And stopped taking damage. And not just that, Samus just stopped hitting me altogether. Don't get me wrong, her arm was flailing away at my poor reptilian face, but there was no impact noise, no impact animation/effect, and my percent didn't increase.

So hey, if nobody is talking about it, test it out. Also, someone might want to notify the Bowser forum. If noone does, I'll do it tomorrow when I get some time.

If people have already found it, then hey.

And yes, I have the replay, but no, I don't have a means of getting it on the computer.

On a final note, if this is completely new, I DEMAND that it be called the Pure Shield. Or, y'know, something that's not stupid.

Good luck!

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing the fact that this was on Wifi may have caused this. I need to try it, but my guess is wifi glitch.

If not, this is a major boon to Ness/Lucas/Wario players everywhere.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
Yes, this has been discovered before.

I think it only works with bowser though.

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
Wow. That is weird.

I just tried it with Bowser and Samus, and it worked. Bowser took no damage. I tried it with a couple other characters, but I think it may only work with Bowser (maybe a couple others) and characters with tether grabs. I got it to work with T. Link and Bowser a couple of times.

Nice find.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Tested this out, seems to only work with Samus grabbing Bowser and oddly won't let Samus grab and hurt Bowser for the rest of the match. Just a little glitch, not some kind of huge new AT that will revolutionize the way we play.

I'll test with other characters and post my results. All it means is bad news for people who main these two low tier characters and end up fighting each other.

This is not a WiFi glitch, you can perform it in training mode.

Doesn't work for Zero Suit Samus, or Lucas.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Bowser +1 Tier List. :awe: ---
tires don exsits i know I know.

I've gotta try this. This might even help my Bowser game.

jonkeponke

Smash Cadet
i tried this and got it to work. then tried with some other chars and failed.

weirdly enough when i tried samus and bowser again (new match), bowser STILL didn't take grab-pummel damage, despite me not doing the up+shield thing again.

wtf?

edit: the first hit did damage sometimes, but all the rest just missed bowser. no impact blast thingie or percent flashing

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
It's a bowser and Samus thing only. You do not have to shield and C stick up. Just shielding works, just holding a direction works too.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
lol you said, " On a final note, if this is completely new, I DEMAND that it be called the Pure Shield. Or, y'know, something that's not stupid."

no matter what its called i remember someone already talking about this. and its not even that useful. how many pple are bowser and how many samus are gonna grab you and attack you with 1-2% hits more than once

good info none the less just...

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Read This Post!

Like ChromePirate said, he made a thread regarding this in the Samus Character Chat. I learned that day that it was true. However, I also tested it by grabbing Bowser while he was hanging off of the edge. He can get injured by Samus' Chozo Chop. I did at least up to 5% damage.

I added further information of this at SmashWiki under Samus Aran (SSBB). Someone noted it, but I went and edited it, adding on, "However, as long as Samus grapples Bowser while he is off the edge, she can cause damage to him." I go under the name "Metroid Fan" there. If anyone wants to see the history, they can.

History: 23:43, 10 July 2008 Metroid Fan (Talk | contribs) m (9,886 bytes) (→Trivia) (undo)

Top Bottom