• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link's Match-up Discussion #7: Luigi

Status
Not open for further replies.

l SOUP l

Smash Apprentice
This is the most underrated character in the ENTIRE game. I have so much trouble with this ugly *** plumber. DISCUSS.

Mysticc

Smash Rookie
yah luigi is pretty annoying..especially if you go into the match underestimating just exactly how annoying he is...

it doesnt seem to be all that bad but due to TL's light weight and luigi's sliding if u get hit by his chop at even a descent percent ur always out...

tbh i usually deal with luigi by just focusing on stunning with bombs from akward distances and rushing in with the best aerial combo i can do to just get him off the stage as far as I can.. and due to his getback u can just edgeguard... then again easier said then done but works enough for me :)

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Fine.
Outcamp him.
Cancel his tornado with projectiles.
Counterpick levels without platforms for they can't spam their stupid utilt.
Yoshis story and Cornaria would also be good due to the D-dmash thing.
Don't use bombs to much because Luigis airials are fast enough to catch them, do they don't even have to airdodge.
A boomerang followed by arrow, or a boomerang thrown past them and and arrow would be good. That way when they cancel it with their tornado, their will be enough lag from the move for them to get hit by the other projectile. Bombs don't cancel the tornado so I guess you can arrow->bomb throw. I don't think they could really get out of that.
Gimp his tornado/missile recovery with arrows.
Ledgehog him if he can make it back. Shouldn't be that hard. FD's ledge gimpys his green missile sometimes if you edgegrab him there.
To knock him off the stage use Nair. the more horizontal the knockback, the better chance you have of gimping his recovery

Stay in the air. We beat him there.

Thats all I have.

l SOUP l

Smash Apprentice
yah luigi is pretty annoying..especially if you go into the match underestimating just exactly how annoying he is...

it doesnt seem to be all that bad but due to TL's light weight and luigi's sliding if u get hit by his chop at even a descent percent ur always out...

tbh i usually deal with luigi by just focusing on stunning with bombs from akward distances and rushing in with the best aerial combo i can do to just get him off the stage as far as I can.. and due to his getback u can just edgeguard... then again easier said then done but works enough for me :)
His getback? That freak just uses down b and gets back on the stage like NOTHING.

Mysticc

Smash Rookie
Fine.
Outcamp him.
Don't use bombs to much because Luigis airials are fast enough to catch them, do they don't even have to airdodge.
A boomerang followed by arrow, or a boomerang thrown past them and and arrow would be good. That way when they cancel it with their tornado, their will be enough lag from the move for them to get hit by the other projectile. Bombs don't cancel the tornado so I guess you can arrow->bomb throw. I don't think they could really get out of that.
Ledgehog him if he can make it back. Shouldn't be that hard. FD's ledge gimpys his green missile sometimes if you edgegrab him there.
To knock him off the stage use Nair. the more horizontal the knockback, the better chance you have of gimping his recovery

Thats all I have.

then again details like that are always more helpfull :p

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Luigi's approach is okay. He can't really be outcamped since he can rush in with his tornado, which IIRC, gets more priority the more he spams that sh*t (lame tornadoes in Smash).

Ledgehogging is so-so. Pretty much if am not as rusty as I think I am, he can string in both Side-B ---> Down-B ----> Up+B, making him upgimpable by conventionally "safe" ways.

He can do two Bairs in one shorthop, so be careful. It's his kill move in a sense.

He's tough, but using SH Hookshot makes it so you zone with a melee attack, and any projectiles you throw. If you try to weave back away from him, he'll usually try to rush in with his tornado.

That being said, stay offensive in a spammy way. Close up, stick to the jab. No need to jab cancel, just finish the jab. His Up+B is dangerous, so using simply the full jab gives you full safety.

He can sorta "combo" with his Fireball, but your shield dissolves it if it's grounded, and it travels rather slow. The slowness is kinda painful really.

Really, play like Marth. Space and zone with quick, long-ranged attacks, keep up pressure, use bombs as a distraction (lolwut), and spam Dancing...

Hookshot. <_<

Just keep mobile and keep projectiles quick and simple. You'll be using melee attacks more than not.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I've only faced two good Luigi players. Rentaline and E@r+h.

QUIVO

Smash Master
I don't know if you guys have heard of Themann, but he's the best Luigi in the midwest and I just beat him in a set at a tournament (I just mention this to prove that he's good with weegee). Anyway, here's what I have:

- If he tornados, run and jump cancel throw a bomb at him.

- Be careful of the spacing when you bair combo him!!! He can nair you out of it if you're careless!! A few times I'd just spam the rar combo and just get knocked out of it.

- You can cancel his fireballs with your zair lol.

- Projectiles to nair are awesome.

- Always be careful when you're up close with him. Jabs to up b are wicked. One match in our set, I was down one stock to his three because he pulled this combo off. Just SDI away or shield it. Also, you don't want a stage with platforms because he can get away with it in case he misses.

- I didn't go for gimps cause he'd over b to sweet spot, or go below the stage and up b all the way up pass the stage.

- Always be careful when behind him, and when you're in a spot where you can get shieldgrabbed. His bairs are good, and dthrow > uair > nair (and every other combo he has on you) is ****.

- Zair to nair or just Zair in general is awesome against him

- I'll try to remember more stuff. If you have questions I'll try to help out.

l SOUP l

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if you guys have heard of Themann, but he's the best Luigi in the midwest and I just beat him in a set at a tournament (I just mention this to prove that he's good with weegee). Anyway, here's what I have:

- If he tornados, run and jump cancel throw a bomb at him.

- Be careful of the spacing when you bair combo him!!! He can nair you out of it if you're careless!! A few times I'd just spam the rar combo and just get knocked out of it.

- You can cancel his fireballs with your zair lol.

- Projectiles to nair are awesome.

- Always be careful when you're up close with him. Jabs to up b are wicked. One match in our set, I was down one stock to his three because he pulled this combo off. Just SDI away or shield it. Also, you don't want a stage with platforms because he can get away with it in case he misses.

- I didn't go for gimps cause he'd over b to sweet spot, or go below the stage and up b all the way up pass the stage.

- Always be careful when behind him, and when you're in a spot where you can get shieldgrabbed. His bairs are good, and dthrow > uair > nair (and every other combo he has on you) is ****.

- Zair to nair or just Zair in general is awesome against him

- I'll try to remember more stuff. If you have questions I'll try to help out.
Thank you Quivo, I love the info you give on these boards.

QUIVO

Smash Master
No problem! : )

I really want to help all the other Toon Links get better.

Anyway, overall.. the most trouble I had with Themann's Luigi was his down b (until I figured out to just space and throw a bomb at him) and sometimes his combos. You can avoid combos easily by not getting shieldgrabbed or naired out of something.

Also, his fsmash *****. That's probably the move he killed me most. I was also stupid enough to airdodge or run into them, since I'd expect him to do something else.

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
I do OK against Luigis but somehow they always get in close and get that stupid up-b on me. KO's me every freaking time...

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Thank you Quivo, I love the info you give on these boards.
*cries a single tear of neglect*

Also, his fsmash *****. That's probably the move he killed me most. I was also stupid enough to airdodge or run into them, since I'd expect him to do something else.
Now that you mention it, that thing kills most of the roster at 90%. It has very good range, and it comes out pretty quick. If you have to recover high, watch out for this.

I do OK against Luigis but somehow they always get in close and get that stupid up-b on me. KO's me every freaking time...
When he gets in close, and you expect Up+B, shield and punish the ending lag.

ozg82889

Smash Journeyman
i think a large stage could make it easier to beat luigi as you can run away if he tries to camp.

like when i held a small tourny with my friends i played against my friend bozo rocken in winners semis who is in TLA and playes doubles with KOS Kirby. i first beat his samus and the following match played luigi and nearly 3 stocks me.
so i counter norfar (**** cant seem to spell it right) and spam my projectiles and force him into the lava when i get the chance. so rainbow cruise would work well as an anti-luigi counter pick.
unfortunatly he banned norfar when we played again in losers finals.

thats the only way i can think of beating weegee as he is a really good char.

BKrkr

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5303-3831-5621
You have to watch out for his tornado approaches and smashes, and that's it. His fireballs are only tools to keep you out of the air or ground, not both, so zair/dodge past them and punish. Your bomb stops his tornado cold, your aerials are better than his (by far,) and you can outcamp him like crazy. Yes, he has a good recovery, but it won't help much if you're hookshot-camping the edge.

QUIVO

Smash Master
Well.. I think you should also be careful of his combos when you're at low percent... they seem to be reallllly good since his aerials are fast and have priority. (I didn't get to mess around with what could get me out though).

Like Luigi could dthrow, uair, nair, usmash/utilt and continue that with some other nonsense.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Nice Lobos.
I now know not to miss a grab against a Luigi.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Yeah, TL overall has the advantage over Luigi, my only complaint is if you get weakened enough, TL's lightness wiull send him flying off the stage.

solidxgeo

Smash Cadet
NNID
GeoDude
Fine.
Outcamp him.

Thats all I have.
>.> OOOOOO xD

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I LOL'ed at pick a stage with platforms xD are you serius? so we cant spam up-tilt? lol getting on a platform is the worst thing that can happen if luigi is under you, he can easily u-air to up-air- to up-air-to whatever move luigi can string xD and at the last point, you havent played a real good luigi xD
That post
was from
TEN
months ago. PLEASE don't bump old threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom