• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu's Grab Release "combo" (Formerly: "Forced Tripping?!")

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Muhznit said:
I was on training mode trying to figure out some new combos to make me a bit more unpredictable. (There's this one Falco on my Friends List that likes to eat Pikachus for breakfast, especially mine) To be more specific, I was trying things with moves that aren't usually used (Just so you guys know, it's near-impossible to Pikacide with Bair; even if you try to stagespike with it. It's still a good move, the hitbox comes out faster than Fair. o_o)

Eventually, I happened upon a "Nthrow", in which instead of throwing the opponent, you let them break out of it (or shock them like mad until they do) so you can gain some spacing for....

DTILT! We all know how it has a high chance of tripping the opponent, right? Well that chance increases near the tip of the tail. So instead of the lackluster chances we have with a normal DTilt, we can increase them signifigantly! Seeing that tripping is not consistent, however, I'm a bit skeptical here about whether or not this could be a new AT for Pika...
Things kinda went off-course from that original subject in a good way. Instead of having a super-reliable method of tripping, we now have a "combo" (and I use that term lightly) in which Pikachu's grab-release is linked to one of his tilts. With the help of some testing done by Mister E, I've compiled this chart to use as a quick reference:

*: You hit the Ice Climber you didn't grab, actually.

Van Jones

Smash Lord
I'll give it a try as soon as I get back from lunch. Hmmm....I never really thought to grab release with Pika. I do with some of my other characters. Give me about and hour or so.

Van Jones

Smash Lord
Ok. I tested it out and is seems like it doesn't trip anymore often than a normal Dtilt does. I didn't do much testing on the grab release, but the testing that I did do seemed some what effective. I wanna tinker with it a little more before a give you my opinions on it.

gallax

Smash Hero
yeah i tested it and i believe that the chaces are still around the same for tripping. remember that tripping is a randomized algorithm used in the game. when i say randomized i mean it was designed so that tripping would be random for the human eye. a comutputer can never randomly generate anything. lol.

furyberserk

Smash Apprentice
It is called sweeping and it happens for pikachu about 1/2 of the time or 1 out of every 2 times. What only makes this better is that it has decient range and Pikachu can crawl. Sweeping allows for consecutive hits and since it is fast, you can actually do a combo with it. It is almost inescapable because you may be too far away.

SilverSpark

Smash Journeyman
Also, the Neutral-A can cause tripping, every once in awhile. Sometimes, I tend to use the AAA combo until my opponent trips (hopefully), then follow up with the appropriate smash (usually, the forward smash, since it has good range). Though it's not reliable, I just really like to trip my opponents.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Pikachu's jab would reach after a grab release though =/
Varies with who you're fighting. Weegee with his "lolgreasedshoes" shenanigans will easily escape the range of even your F-Smash. Jigglypuff, however, sticks around for a few hits. As far as I know, it's probably going to require a list of characters vulnerable to the thing like the Pikachu Footstool+Quick Attack Lock combo.

SilverSpark

Smash Journeyman
Here are the tripping stats from a different thread:

PIKACHU
?A 0-999
dash 0-11
ftilt (mid ver) 23-29 (low ver) 25-34 (high ver) 19-25
*dtilt 0-45
nair 5-10 (wiener)28-37
dair 17-23
?B 106-155
*fB (uncharged) 0-4
?uB (first hit)310-999

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I Did some testing and it seems the d-tilt works after a grab release against every character except for these characters:

Luigi, Squirtle, Ice Climbers, Captain Falcon, and Lucas. For the Ice Climbers it is interesting. D-tilt works after a grab release for them but in doing so you will only hit the Ice Climber that wasn't grabbed. If you grab released Popo, you'd hit Nana with the tilt, and vice-versa.

Also, I tested f-tilt after grab release for each character because f-tilt has a higher KO potential. This works against all characters except for these characters:

All the aforementioned characters and additionally Pikachu, Diddy Kong, Zelda, Pit, Ike, Zero Suit Samus, and King Dedede.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
I Did some testing and it seems the d-tilt works after a grab release against every character except for these characters:

Luigi, Squirtle, Ice Climbers, Captain Falcon, and Lucas. For the Ice Climbers it is interesting. D-tilt works after a grab release for them but in doing so you will only hit the Ice Climber that wasn't grabbed. If you grab released Popo, you'd hit Nana with the tilt, and vice-versa.

Also, I tested f-tilt after grab release for each character because f-tilt has a higher KO potential. This works against all characters except for these characters:

All the aforementioned characters and additionally Pikachu, Diddy Kong, Zelda, Pit, Ike, Zero Suit Samus, and King Dedede.
Ooh, nice, nice. It's a shame that it doesn't give us anything good against Lucas (One of my personal bad matchups) But OH WELL. Time to make a table or something.... tomorrow. Maybe.

neji32

Smash Lord
hmmm if you did trip the opponent you, you could follow it up with a dash up smash or another grab to up throw to thunder....hmmm this could be a type of tech chase.....

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
....and there we go. We have a chart. Oh joy. Maybe I should make one for Pikachu's Chaingrabs...

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Doesn't seem that useful to me. They could just block and punish or just punish as soon as they're released. Kind of a high risk just for a dtilt or ftilt.

Top Bottom