• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
when does f smash kill fox. I assumed it was around 110. and we dont die to up smash until I think 98%. thats not really a 20-40% difference...

Rizk18

Smash Lord
Sonic's are definatley making it seem like this MU is hard for Sonic and easy for Fox. Not the case, lasers are a no no in this MU. You're going to have to play close combat because Sonic's speed is so stupid it gives us a chance to get in like 2 lasers? And lasers are a huge part of Fox's game. Sonic dies from U-smash fresh at around 104%.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
+1 for Fox isn't saying that it's easy for Fox, Riz.

All I've been saying is that it's easier for Fox to KO. Which is true for most of Sonic's bad match ups, but extremely true for this one.
Also, Fox KOs Sonic earlier than 100% from usmash, I think.

@KID: All of our KO moves are dependent on stage positioning too. Fsmash may KO Fox at 98% or whatever from the edge of Final Destination, but it sure as hell won't on the opposite end. Fox's usmash doesn't really have that severe of a percentage distinction on his KO range. If you're at 95%-ish as Sonic on Final Destination, you can DI all you want, you're most likely KO'd if you get nailed with a fresh usmash.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
+1 for Fox isn't saying that it's easy for Fox, Rizk.
All I've been saying is that it's easier for Fox to KO. Which is true for most of Sonic's bad match ups, but extremely true for this one.
Also, Fox KOs Sonic earlier than 100% from usmash, I think.

@KID: All of our KO moves are dependent on stage positioning too. Fsmash may KO Fox at 98% or whatever from the edge of Final Destination, but it sure as hell won't on the opposite end. Fox's usmash doesn't really have that severe of a percentage distinction on his KO range. If you're at 95%-ish as Sonic on Final Destination, you can DI all you want, you're most likely KO'd if you get nailed with a fresh usmash.
Fixed the name.
Also I think your games with Megafox speak otherwise. This MU is so even and Sonic is very underrated.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Guess that means my games with DEHF from MLG Dallas and my games vs. Gnes mean that Falco is = at worst, and Diddy is = or something?

Fox has the advantage, and you're not really going to convince me otherwise, so just stop.

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium
Sonic's are definatley making it seem like this MU is hard for Sonic and easy for Fox. Not the case, lasers are a no no in this MU. You're going to have to play close combat because Sonic's speed is so stupid it gives us a chance to get in like 2 lasers? And lasers are a huge part of Fox's game. Sonic dies from U-smash fresh at around 104%.
Fox's Lasers aren't used much in this matchup except to force an approach.

Sonic dies at 88%-90% against Fox's usmash, it's Snake who dies at 104%, not Sonic.

Unless you meant w/ DI, even then we don't kill you when you DI till about 110% regardless of the fact that you're light.

Your Fastfalls while some times bad can be used for frame trap like aerials to grab. (ex. Uair autocancel ->grab to punish a baited airdodge)

Sonic's Aerial Accel is average at best, and our Dair sucks, meaning when we're above you, all we can do is Air Dodge or Spring, if we spring all you have to do is landcamp, if we airdodge it's a free grab.

Your airgame all together beats ours except for our Bair, which is slow mind you.(Unlike yours) Our Uair barely out ranges your dair, if not ties with it. (this only matters when you don't shorthop it)

You have nearly as good recovery as us, w/ your long distance firefox, foxcopter and phantasm(although yours is more predictable).

Looking at sheer KO options, if the matchup is played right, Fox should always be able to kill Sonic first considering your more reliable KO moves Bair, Uair, Usmash, Dsmash.

Espy beats MegaFox because he's flat out better and more experienced than him, if Sonic beat Fox then I'd be beating MegaFox's fox all day, instead I only snag wins off his Snake(due to experience w/ the MU). Also, MegaFox just hasn't played enough against Sonic to know the MU.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
LOL. Anyways Riz you're talking nonsense. you are faster than us mid range and you can still follow up with lasers easily. Just cuz you're not getting 20 lasers like other matchups doesnt mean lasers dont serve their purpose. We both rack damage. Although you have some more legit setups in my opinion (though we do have dtilt shenanigans on you). Of course we are fast but dont act like fox is some slow moron, you have movement AND attack speed. Ultimately like Espy said, you kill faster than we do. Plain and simple. You have one of the best vertical killing tools in the game. How does this equate to being even to you?

You dont go through the trouble we do to find a kill. Very few characters go through that heart ache, and because of that fact, you will ALWAYS have an edge unless we gain some guaranteed damage racking setups or magical gimping tech. I concur wholeheartedly with Espy. +1 Fox

EDIT: and to some extent sonic is underrated, but dont go thinking he has to be better than he is because Espy owns someone. You dont know how much effort us Sonic mains try to put into our character. And obviously you dont realize how skilled as a player Espy is. He is damn good period. So it should be of no surprise that Espy was owning. Let Espy play TKD, and after TKD learns the match up, if it goes even then perhaps you may have a valid argument. Until then look at the simple facts;

you kill better.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
Guess that means my games with DEHF from MLG Dallas and my games vs. Gnes mean that Falco is = at worst, and Diddy is = or something?

Fox has the advantage, and you're not really going to convince me otherwise, so just stop.
You're not going to convice me it isn't even.
Fox's Lasers aren't used much in this matchup except to force an approach.

Sonic dies at 88%-90% against Fox's usmash, it's Snake who dies at 104%, not Sonic.

Unless you meant w/ DI, even then we don't kill you when you DI till about 110% regardless of the fact that you're light.

Your Fastfalls while some times bad can be used for frame trap like aerials to grab. (ex. Uair autocancel ->grab to punish a baited airdodge)

Sonic's Aerial Accel is average at best, and our Dair sucks, meaning when we're above you, all we can do is Air Dodge or Spring, if we spring all you have to do is landcamp, if we airdodge it's a free grab.

Your airgame all together beats ours except for our Bair, which is slow mind you.(Unlike yours) Our Uair barely out ranges your dair, if not ties with it. (this only matters when you don't shorthop it)

You have nearly as good recovery as us, w/ your long distance firefox, foxcopter and phantasm(although yours is more predictable).

Looking at sheer KO options, if the matchup is played right, Fox should always be able to kill Sonic first considering your more reliable KO moves Bair, Uair, Usmash, Dsmash.

Espy beats MegaFox because he's flat out better and more experienced than him, if Sonic beat Fox then I'd be beating MegaFox's fox all day, instead I only snag wins off his Snake(due to experience w/ the MU). Also, MegaFox just hasn't played enough against Sonic to know the MU.
1.Sonic dies from U-smash at 96% fresh with DI, Snake dies at 114% fresh with DI(Snake might be able to survive a bit more damage).
2.I've never seen a Fox combo U-air into a grab.
3. Don't be predictable and dair or airdodge right infront of us?
4. Our B-air is more awkward, your's isn't and you have better control of B-air than us. Yes ours is faster, doesn't mean it's better.
5. Firefox sucks and it too predictable, especially in this MU, it's super punishable.
6.Maybe
7.True.

LOL. Anyways Riz you're talking nonsense. you are faster than us mid range and you can still follow up with lasers easily. Just cuz you're not getting 20 lasers like other matchups doesnt mean lasers dont serve their purpose. We both rack damage. Although you have some more legit setups in my opinion (though we do have dtilt shenanigans on you). Of course we are fast but dont act like fox is some slow moron, you have movement AND attack speed. Ultimately like Espy said, you kill faster than we do. Plain and simple. You have one of the best vertical killing tools in the game. How does this equate to being even to you?

You dont go through the trouble we do to find a kill. Very few characters go through that heart ache, and because of that fact, you will ALWAYS have an edge unless we gain some guaranteed damage racking setups or magical gimping tech. I concur wholeheartedly with Espy. +1 Fox

EDIT: and to some extent sonic is underrated, but dont go thinking he has to be better than he is because Espy owns someone. You dont know how much effort us Sonic mains try to put into our character. And obviously you dont realize how skilled as a player Espy is. He is damn good period. So it should be of no surprise that Espy was owning. Let Espy play TKD, and after TKD learns the match up, if it goes even then perhaps you may have a valid argument. Until then look at the simple facts;

you kill better.
1. Lasers don't serve their purpose in this MU you moron. 20 lasers> Just a few. Is there something wrong with you? Do you know how important lasers are?
2.Best vertical kill move? So what, look at Ivysaur, Lucas, R.O.B. Nuff said.
3. D-tilt combos into itself several times like I said. Plus, your U-throw at 0% to buffered U-tilt is a true combo, just throwing it out there.
4. Didn't bother reading your edit.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I'd give it to Fox. It's near even but Fox's ability to rack up damage and play it relatively safe against Sonic when he's in the lead can be and IS really annoying. Like we can't play the run away game against Fox until we're a stock up because his lasers tack on damage and refresh his moveset pretty quickly. 9 lasers is all it takes. For those who don't know, Fox's busted *** Usmash comes out on Frame 8.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Done.

Hitlag is anything but what time the move hits. Most moves tend to have start-up, active hitbox frames, and cooldown. For the sake of this argument, First Active Frame (or FAF) is the first frame a move comes out with a hitbox.

For example, Sonic's Down Tilt has five frames of start-up, so 1-5 is just animation. Frame six is when the attack comes out. Everything else is irrelevant.

... The Smash Lab did release a General Standard Terms list, so if you have any doubts or if you're curious about what something is, you can look here. It probably explains it better than I can, and I'm not sure how to describe hitlag that isn't basically stealing this already lol.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=302576

:093:

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium
You're not going to convice me it isn't even.

1.Sonic dies from U-smash at 96% fresh with DI, Snake dies at 114% fresh with DI(Snake might be able to survive a bit more damage).
I of course did say "Unless you mean w/ DI"
2.I've never seen a Fox combo U-air into a grab.
That's because it's not a combo, it's more or less a frame trap, basically either they take the uair, airdodge and get grabbed, or doublejump/upb only to be forced to remain in the air longer and have the situation reset.
3. Don't be predictable and dair or airdodge right infront of us?
If played right fox has the speed to ALWAYS be in front of Sonic's landing spot, landing basically becomes a game of rock paper scissors where Sonic's only benefit is that he gets safely back to the floor. It's an air tech chase, naturally though, Sonic can do it to Fox too though.
4. Our B-air is more awkward, your's isn't and you have better control of B-air than us. Yes ours is faster, doesn't mean it's better.
It's better in terms of KO reliability so long as you have the spacing mastered. Even if Sonic master's the spacing of his bair he still has to master the timing due to its slow speed.
5. Firefox sucks and it too predictable, especially in this MU, it's super punishable.
which is why you don't HAVE to use it, it's just an option.

1. Lasers don't serve their purpose in this MU you moron. 20 lasers> Just a few. Is there something wrong with you? Do you know how important lasers are?
I know this wasn't a response to my post, but you shouldn't be focusing on lasers unless you're a camp *****, to most Fox's lasers are just bonus damage+move refreshing, which are great, but not needed to win. Ever.
2.Best vertical kill move? So what, look at Ivysaur, Lucas, R.O.B. Nuff said.
while those kill earlier, they have nowhere near Fox's Usmash speed.
3. D-tilt combos into itself several times like I said. Plus, your U-throw at 0% to buffered U-tilt is a true combo, just throwing it out there.
just as your utilt chain can be SDI'd out of, so can our Dtilt. which is true, and that's great at 0%

I put what I had to say in the quote :3

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
uthrow>buffered utilt isnt a true combo, you dont know what the hell you are talking about. ANd you are an idiot if you think KO power= best KO option. I guess D3 has the best fsmash then.

Dude all you need is a few lasers so you can refresh your moves a bit. That can be done while you knock us away safely. Thats all the lasers need to do in this matchup. Noone cares about convincing your ***. You dont even know whats good for your character. If you cant understand that Fox's usmash is good then you are an idiot. Plain and simple. Noone cares what you think, people care about the matchup and solid evidence. You probably just got ***** by some Sonic and you need an excuse for yourself.

EHY FOX's USMASH IS 10 FRAMES (yeah right)!!!! NVM MAN YOU RIGHT ITS EVEN. THATS SO SLOW COMPARED TO OUR KO OPTIONS! HOW FOOLISH OF ME!!!!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
up throw up tilt i believe is a combo on fox and falco and a few others,

also, everyone here seems to be missing the point of lasers, the MAIN purpose of them is to force the other character to approach, which they do reliably in every matchup, this one included, since sonic doesnt have a horizontal projectile.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Mmm~, good sir, it is in fact a frame-trap even on Fox.

Granted, it just so happens that since he falls so fast that even if he airdodges, more likely than not he may or may not go too far out for any "Utilt" follow-ups, which from the testing I did seemed to be the most "guaranteed" follow-up.

However, I will say that I haven't confirmed whether or not Fox will actually drift too far.

I got the post if you wanna see the numbers at least. Thanks to Jerry for covering my lazy butt and posting my cheat-sheet.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
LOL KID you are the one who alerted me to the fact that uthrow > utilt is NOT guaranteed when I thought it was.

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium
everyone here seems to be missing the point of lasers, the MAIN purpose of them is to force the other character to approach
Fox's Lasers aren't used much in this matchup, except to force an approach.

[Collapse=More]Sonic dies at 88%-90% against Fox's usmash, it's Snake who dies at 104%, not Sonic.

[/Collapse]

I didn't miss a beat bro ;)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
... Daaaaaaaamn~!

I thought I just said this forever ago too.

The players may be good, but their character is not.

If no one else, Wedge knows how much I'm willing to put on the line to prove that point.

But that's aside from the point. What I meant to say was why exactly would approaching be that deciding factor?

I'm just curious, not really trying to go anywhere with this.

NNID
MasterHavik
Guys aside from getting this match up chart done. We gotta pull in the trouneys Ws if we want our C tier to almost high tier back. these are the only two things that are stopping us. We gotta make a team effort.

Top Bottom