• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Spiking and meteor smashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcord

Smash Apprentice
If the Brawl community decided, for whatever gameplay reason, to stop saying "baseball bat" and instead call it "kinetic KO device" I would not give a **** and I'd still call it a baseball bat, because it IS a baseball bat.

Same is my feeling with spikes and meteor smashes. Honestly, I've never known the technical difference between these two terms, but again, I don't want to change the words where "spike" describes the situation perfectly. Anyone who has played volleyball knows that diddy's Dair is a spike :p.

So I claim my rights to say the word SPIKE when talking about meteor smashes without being corrected/laughed at! Say it loudly! and proudly!

SPIKE you!

bobson

Smash Lord
As far as I know, "meteor smashes" are attacks that hit the opponent downward from which they can recover if they act quickly, whereas "spikes" are the same, except the opponent is hopelessly doomed. Or something like that. I'm guessing it's just pedantry.

I'm calling Ness' bat a kinetic KO device from now on.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
You can 'meteor-cancel' meteor smashes (say by using up-B with correct timing after getting hit). You can't meteor-cancel a spike. That's the difference. Either way though,it'sup to personal preference on what to say. The only rules as far as I'm concerned are :-

* Stock match
* Neautral stages (possibly counterpicks available)
* No Items
* No 'Johns'

=D

Psy.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Lol, it's actually called a "home-run bat", but I call it a baseball bat anyway.
None of them are technically meteor smashes, as there is no separate animation for meteor stun break.
But they can all be meteor cancelled. So there is no correct term for them.
They're neither spikes or meteors.

Corigames

Smash Hero
If the Brawl community decided, for whatever gameplay reason, to stop saying "baseball bat" and instead call it "kinetic KO device" I would not give a **** and I'd still call it a baseball bat, because it IS a baseball bat.

Same is my feeling with spikes and meteor smashes. Honestly, I've never known the technical difference between these two terms, but again, I don't want to change the words where "spike" describes the situation perfectly. Anyone who has played volleyball knows that diddy's Dair is a spike :p.

So I claim my rights to say the word SPIKE when talking about meteor smashes without being corrected/laughed at! Say it loudly! and proudly!

SPIKE you!
Except that you are absolutely wrong. So, you should shut up instead of assuming that because you don't care about deciphering the difference between two very different things, as far as our system of naming goes, doesn't mean that we don't like to keep things in order.

Spikes you can't break out of, meteors you can. Go find the compendium you n00b, and learn to look around before babbling to a bunch of people about how you don't give two ****s. Obviously, you do.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
*Holds Corey back* Falcord, he raises a good point in that you must care to post this though. Just try not using stars when making a declaration, gets us all aggressive xD. Psy.

Falcord

Smash Apprentice
Oh, god.

Despite your happy smiley face image, you seem to have a bad taste for humour, corey.

You can give attacks the name of your dogs for all I care, this post was supposed to bring a smile to your face and think about how complex we get to be for naming simple stuff, Since the difference between terms has dissapeared in brawl.

I already knew the difference between meteors and spikes by the way, I pretended not to to emphasize the humour part (yes, the one you didn't understand).

By the way, the "stars" word in my opening post is "d a m n", not the one you probably think.

bobson

Smash Lord
Except that you are absolutely wrong. So, you should shut up instead of assuming that because you don't care about deciphering the difference between two very different things, as far as our system of naming goes, doesn't mean that we don't like to keep things in order.

Spikes you can't break out of, meteors you can. Go find the compendium you n00b, and learn to look around before babbling to a bunch of people about how you don't give two ****s. Obviously, you do.
Are there any true spikes in Brawl, though? If there aren't, then it's pointless to have two separate terms if you're discussing Brawl, and "spike" makes more immediate sense than "meteor smash."

Falcord

Smash Apprentice
Are there any true spikes in Brawl, though? If there aren't, then it's pointless to have two separate terms if you're discussing Brawl, and "spike" makes more immediate sense than "meteor smash."
QFT

Thats what I wanted you all to think about with this HUMOUR post. Thank you for thinking and not blindly bashing like corey.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Yes, I bashed you because you made a joke thread as an 08er and I flamed you. I hope I burnt every fiber of your being with everything. And don't call me "Corey." We aren't buddies. We aren't pals. We aren't on a name-to-name basis here. I'm Mr. Coreygames to you newbie.

And if this was meant to be humor, then I had more laughs reading Pleasant Moments 2003 calender than this, you failed.

There is a difference between them . We name stuff to separate them. Stop perpetuating the problem of confusing new people by jogging their minds with useless conversations about things written in stone that need to stay there. Just stop it. I didn't laugh. He didn't laugh, and I bet you weren't even laughing. Just stop. Please.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I've read two of yours, and I can safely say that I don't know crap about you and you don't know crap about me. As far as you know, I'm like this all the time and I certainly didn't have one horrbile hell of a day/night and it is aided by the fact that my sacred boards are being trashed by idiots who think it is funny to mislead people with lol-less threads about vocabulary tangents.

In other words:
NO U

Edit:

Also, didn't I just get done telling him not to call me Corey? Just because a normal name is in my screen name doesn't mean that you can call me by that. Call me Coreygames. It's 5 more letters, deal with it.

Rawrior

Smash Apprentice
I've read two of yours, and I can safely say that I don't know crap about you and you don't know crap about me. As far as you know, I'm like this all the time and I certainly didn't have one horrbile hell of a day/night and it is aided by the fact that my sacred boards are being trashed by idiots who think it is funny to mislead people with lol-less threads about vocabulary tangents.

In other words:
NO U
"you don't know crap about me"

That's where you're wrong, I know enough to say that you're a douche bag.
I've been a lurker for a long time now and reading alot of your posts, while you ARE smart(I'll give you that), you're also very ignorant, stuck up and self righteous(spelling?).

You can give a good debate, but it only ends up just pissing people off because of the way you are, a douche bag.

Corigames

Smash Hero
"you don't know crap about me"

That's where you're wrong,
What do I do for a living?
What is my favorite game?
How old am I?
What character was my secondary in Melee?
What state am I originally from?
What's the color of my skin?

Also, even though I could really care less about the OP or his intents, this is detracting majorly from the thread. You don't know me. I don't know you. You just know that I type without caring about hurting other people's feelings and that, for some reason, makes me a douche bag.

Rawrior

Smash Apprentice
What do I do for a living?
What is my favorite game?
How old am I?
What character was my secondary in Melee?
What state am I originally from?
What's the color of my skin?

Also, even though I could really care less about the OP or his intents, this is detracting majorly from the thread. You don't know me. I don't know you. You just know that I type without caring about hurting other people's feelings and that, for some reason, makes me a douche bag.
I don't know the details of your life, I'm not a stalker. Maybe I should rephrase what I meant, I know you in terms of your personality and way of thinking. Yes, that's one of many reasons why you're a douche bag. Not caring about other people's feelings while you talk/type/act etc is an example of being a douche bag, anyways, I'm done here. Byebye :lick:

Falcord

Smash Apprentice
I can safely say that I don't know crap about you and you don't know crap about me..
Then why the personal insults? Don't be inconsequent: Either say you're god and can read our minds, or keep the bad names for yourself if you really don't know crap about us

If you think being a hardcore old member makes you inmediatly more intelligent than me, you're really wrong. I've been into a stage/contact juggling forum (an art which probably you never heard about) and if a newbie came and claimed crystal balls to be called heavenly ******** believe me, I would not bash him, altough I know perfectly what a crystal ball is, probably much better than you with your sad videogame facts.

I don't know as much of smash bros as you, but I know a lot about human relationships, and in these, you fail.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Coreygames (happy NOW?!), you know why a lot of people call you Corey?
Simply because it's easier to type than Coreygames.
Why don't people shorten my name?
LOOK AT IT!
It's freakin' PCHU, nobody cares about shortening it because it's FOUR LETTERS LONG.
You need to calm down about your name.
You can't possibly stop everyone from calling you Corey.

I'm just saying that because you've been going around, being an absolute freak to everyone.
I've never seen any of your posts as being calm.
In the ICWTTTG discussion, I quit 'cause you started getting too serious.
ABOUT A FICTIONAL CHARACTER.

Maybe if you calmed your butt down, people would start treating you like you want them to.
Coreygames.

LOL @ below post.

Falcord

Smash Apprentice
Oh, and by the way, I propose you changing your image to this one, which has been gently photoshopped by a friend of mine:

It suits you better. COREY. :p

Corigames

Smash Hero
Then why the personal insults?
Personal how? I dodn't threaten to burn or **** you. All I said was that this thread is dumb and confuses people, but by saying that you are being a jerk for making the thread.

Don't be inconsequent: Either say you're god and can read our minds, or keep the bad names for yourself if you really don't know crap about us
The the same to you Mr. he-has-an-early-join-date-so-he-is-obviously-an-elitist-***-hole.

If you think being a hardcore old member makes you inmediatly more intelligent than me, you're really wrong.
No, you being stupid covers that part of this thread fine.

I've been into a stage/contact juggling forum (an art which probably you never heard about)
Dear God, have I been missing out or what.

and if a newbie came and claimed crystal balls to be called heavenly ******** believe me, I would not bash him,
Me either, but would you allow him to come in and tell all the people that have been there for years that what they are doing and saying is wrong and they have to change to accommodate to his ways? No. When someone new tries to appear to be smarter than the veterans, it seems to be quite different than the situation of someone asking for help. Don't lead, follow. Then, when you are on your own two feet, you can start blazing your own trail.

altough I know perfectly what a crystal ball is, probably much better than you with your sad videogame facts.
Good, you take that crystal ball and do whatever you want with it. It won't make you better at Smash, and, as long as you are posting here, I don't really care about anything else. So, BAWWW with your sad pathetic insults.

I don't know as much of smash bros as you, but I know a lot about human relationships, and in these, you fail.
I don't need to have strong relations with complete strangers over thousands of miles, especially ones who are just trying to be presumptuous pricks. Besides, even trying to do that is just a lame way to say that I care too much about what other people think. I'll say what I want when I want until a moderator says, "Hey, you are starting to step over the line." Then I say, "You got lucky," and walk away. I hope making friends with everyone on the internet works out for you.

Oh and, I guess so much for your thread if you keep this stuff up.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Wow, corey (YEAH I WENT THERE). You're an ***.

The thing is, in Brawl, there's no difference. I think we can call it whatever we want.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
I'm glad you all think flaming on the internet accomplishes ANYTHING. All it earns you on here are infractions, really.

...And yes, coreygames, perpetuating a flame war isn't stepping over the line, it's bounding over it.

:026:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom