• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wichita, KS Brawl Bi-Weeklies *2nd Season*

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Wichita, KS Bi-Weekly Brawl Tournaments

All Grand Finals videos will be posted in my Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/affinity2412

Next one is March 7th, 2009

_____________________________________________​

Time and Place:

The Teams tournament will start around 3:00pm and the Singles tournament will start whenever Teams is completed.

The tournament will be held at InfernoRage's house in his nice, cool basement at 417 E. Campus near 55th and Broadway. It's a pretty good size basement and can hold about 5 setups.

Heres a Mapquest link: http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Wichita&state=KS&address=417+E.+Campus

Entry Fee:

* $5 Entry for Singles

* $5 Entry for Teams ($10 per team)

* NO REFUNDS!!! It messes up the pot amount.

Prizes:

* 60/30/10 Pot Split (10% House Cut)

General rules:

* 3 Stock

* 8 minute timer

* Double Elimination

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets with the possible exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above is recommended for any "finals" matches)

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* Meta Knight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):

1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches

Stage List

Starter

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Pokémon Stadium 1 (Melee)
Lylat Cruise
Delfino Plaza

Counter-Pick

Castle Siege
Halberd
Brinstar
Norfair
Corneria
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Pictochat
Green Greens
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise

Additional Rules for Double's Play

* Life Stealing is allowed

* Set team attack to ON

Singles Tournament Winners

1/31/09 - Affinity
3/7/09 - Domo

Doubles Tournament Winners

1/31/09 - Affinity & Karmacide
3/7/09 - Domo & KY

3/7/09 Singles Tournament Results

1: Domo - Meta Knight​
2: Affinity - Meta Knight​
3: Inferno - Bowser/Meta Knight/DDD​
4: Karmacide - Snake​
5: Mr. Doom - Ike​
5: Zer0 - Ice Climbers​
7: Ratman - Snake​
7: KY - Pit​
9: Holms - Zero Suit Samus​
9: ChaostheoryX - Lucas​
9: Steeler - Pokemon Trainer​
9: Fragbait - Falco​
13: Blarg - Ice Climbers​
13: Clel - Meta Knight/Marth​
13: Zhao - Game and watch​
13: DegynSefer - Lucario​
17: Christina - Meta Knight​
17: Leea - Zelda​

3/7/09 Doubles Tournament Results

1: Afterlife Emmissaries (KY & Domo)​
2: Meta Gear Solid (Affinity & Karmacide)​
3: Jiggz & Niggz (Clel & Inferno)​
4: Sherlock Doom (Holms & Mr. Doom)​
5: Snake Trainers (Steeler & Ratman)​
5: Zer0 Gravity (Blarg & Firestorm)​
7: Xiaolin Soccer (Degyn & Zhoa)​
7: Butterfly Effect (Bojo & Chaos)​
9: NoName (Aaron & Christina)​

HOPE TO SEE YOU HERE!

Last edited:

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
lol a thread....hahaha sounds exciting count me in on this, im going to dethrown you affinity !....one day

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I will of course be there. I recommend everyone invite as many friends of yours as you can to help increase the popularity of the event. We'd really like to turn this into -the- thing for hardcore Smash players in Wichita to be doing if we can.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
a power ranking would be awesome, if not kansas then southeast ks !
can't wait for the next biweekly!

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
For the record, being "anti-" either game is just stupid and makes people look like arrogant pricks. Down the road, we might do some stuff with Melee too, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
it would be cool to see a pikachu ditto of stealth vs zig zag on brawl

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
stealthy stealthy affinity

stealthier than stealth even

i'll be there, and i have (a few) old buds that play smash, i could see if they are interested. a couple are actually pretty decent.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
I forgot the reason why hawthorne venue didnt work out but simply rice said he can talk to the manager there to work out a deal...

edit* ooops wrong thread i thought this was the other thread about a pontential wichita tournament

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Haha Attackstorm you have failed!

And yeah Steeler you **** well better be there. Affinity has built you up as the Pokemon Trainer god and until now I've been the only person busting out the trio every once in a while. (Actually, on that subject, it makes me a little sad to no longer be the sole player of some of the chars now that we have more new people playing with us. Soon, I'll just be the Captain Falcon guy and I shall be very sad :( )

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
actually you are both putting words into MY mouth

but i'm better than the average pt. doesn't say much though. ;)

fragbait

Smash Master
Sorry guys, with school restarting I haven't been able to get on much. I'm doing my senior research paper on pro gaming, and I wanna interview a couple of you about the "underground" side of pro gaming. I was thinking storm, but who else could volunteer? BTW, my phone number no longer works, so if you wanna get ahold of me then just PM and I'll try to get on and answer you.

Oh yea, back on topic, let me know when we are ready to go so I can bring my crew.

Royal Nynja

Smash Ace
weeeeeeeeeeaaaaak i might be able to get off some times cause there are too many people scheduled on my shift but it would have already been too late. You guys are lucky you dont have to deal with THE MONKEY

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Sorry guys, with school restarting I haven't been able to get on much. I'm doing my senior research paper on pro gaming, and I wanna interview a couple of you about the "underground" side of pro gaming. I was thinking storm, but who else could volunteer? BTW, my phone number no longer works, so if you wanna get ahold of me then just PM and I'll try to get on and answer you.

Oh yea, back on topic, let me know when we are ready to go so I can bring my crew.
Were you wanting to interview people before the tournament the day of? If so I wouldn't mind helping.

fragbait

Smash Master
Ill be at tourney, but I wont have to interview anyone untill later this month. But aff, I would love to interview you! Just realize, your titles are now "Underground Pro Gamers" for purposes of my paper.

rebd121

Smash Journeyman
Any other Zelda mains coming out to today's Bi-Weekly?

... Wait... Do other Zelda mains exist in Wichita? That'd be sweet. I could improve my game.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
The OP is updated. The videos will be up by tomorrow evening for sure.

Great tournament yesterday guys; it was a total success!

Can't wait to see everyone on the 20th!

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
yea it was great, every event is a learning process cant wait for the next one!

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
This was a total success as everyone who attended knows by now. I'll be mixing things up a little for the next Bi-weekly and making the play area a little more user friendly. What I need is a couple of dedicated setups so we can have a guarenteed number of 4 TVs playing tournament matches all the time. We'll also have actual walkways so you aren't stuck on one side or the other when a matchups starts now that I've seen how Ic an organize the furniture to allow this extra room. I'll be moving some more stuff out of the main basement to lighten the load and we may or may not make use of the two other rooms for games as well. you can rest assured we will fit in more events on the 20th.

Speaking of the 20th, our special Gimmick will be: Pick Your Opponent's Character after the main tournament.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Speaking of the 20th, our special Gimmick will be: Pick Your Opponent's Character after the main tournament.
Specific Rules:

1) Before the first game, a coin is flipped. Whoever wins the coin flip chooses the character BOTH PLAYERS must play as for the first game, as in both players must use the SAME CHARACTER for the first game.

2) The first game's level will be a random neutral.

3) The winner of the previous game picks a character for his/her opponent to use in the next game. Then the loser of the previous game will counterpick a character for his/her opponent to use for the next game.

4) The loser of the previous game counterpicks the level to be played on in the next game from the list of neutrals/counterpicks.

5) Repeat steps 3 & 4 for every game played after.

Royal Nynja

Smash Ace
weak sauce im not comin to that booboo, you guys is gonna make me be meta knight or something....META DONT EVEN HAVE BANANAS!!!

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Actually I'm almost 100% certain everyone will end up as Captain Falcon dittos just to be utterly ********, but hey we both know you'll be there for the real tournament before hand you whiner XD

Oh, and Affinity would make ME be Metaknight since it's like one of my worst characters sadly. How pathetic is that? I can win tournament matches as Ganon but I'll SD as metaknight every chance I get.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
With this weekend's Bi-weekly quickly approaching I'd like to remind everyone to clear your schedules and come prepared to play for a long time. I'll be opening the doors much earlier, so feel free to start showing up at noon.

We will not be having pools this time around. We will not be using the No Tripping code except for maybe the grand finals if I get around to it. I want to make sure we can have the code on all wiis before we implement it. It would be unfair to have it on just one station.

On the issue of Wiimote players. If you know how to use a Gamecube controller, please do so. We had a VERY big problem caused last time by a wiimore being left connected to a tournament wii and turning the system off when it's owner left, shutting off a very close match that was on its last stock on the last match. Not. Cool. If you must bring a wiimore, please disconnect it from the wii and remove your batteries between matches.

We should have more room to walk this time as I've come up with another design for setting things up so there's that. I need to have at least 4 wiis and TVs coming (this does not include my own) though to take full advantage of what I want to do, so if you are capable of bringing a setup please let me know. We will probably be using the side room as well for matches as well as a spot for me to access tio. Please do not put your results into tio without telling me. If I am in a match just wait, I won't be very long and you'll avoid ticking me off. Win-win. Please read over the rules before you arrive. There will be a printout of the rules and stage availability provided for you. Upon further retrospect, I may be changing a couple of the counterpick stages around to balance it a bit more for characters who seem to be lacking in a viable counterpick (considering we now have players who main some of these).

We are striving for -speed- this week and I want to definitely get both singles and teams through. Because of this, if everyone arrives early we will start early. It is important to call someone and let them know you are coming so that I can find out and won't start without you. We will also be having another gimmick that Affinity came up with. This week's gimmick is Choose Your Opponent's Character. The full rules will be provided before the event.

YOU WILL SHOWER AND PUT ON DEODERANT BEFORE YOU COME. I don't care if you showered at 7 in the morning YOU WILL SHOWER AGAIN BEFORE YOU COME.

YOU WILL SHOWER

SHOWER

Got it?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
dude that gimmick tourney sounds WHACK. whoever wins the coin toss will very likely win because they'll get two chances to pick. and they can just pick their two best characters, assuming the other player is nowhere near as efficient with your two best. which will be the case most of the time.

just putting in my two cents, i know it's just a gimmick tourney so it's not too big a deal.

Top Bottom