• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Island (Updated 9/23/2009) -- Yoshi Thread Locator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace

The Island

The Big Book of Yoshi Information
If you are a beginner or even an advanced user of the green dino, there's a ridiculous amount of information to be found here. Read up, you'll be tested on this later.

Yoshi Beginner's Guide
Just picking up Yoshi? This is the best place to look to figure out if you have what it takes to handle the Nikes.

Yoshi Moveset Summaries
A main thread which links to discussions regarding Yoshi's various moves, their effects, and their usefulness. Good place for learning about quirks which you may not be aware ever existed.

Yoshi Video Thread and Video Critique Thread
How-To Guides, Combo Vids, 1v1s, 2v2s, etc. Check out the Hall of Fame for the Yoshi vids voted best by the boards.
If that's not enough vids for you, here's three threads starring some of our more tournament-active Yoshis.
Scatz (Bigman) Video Thread
Shiri Video Thread
Bwett Video Thread
EdreesesPieces Video Thread

Yoshi Frame Data Thread
Wait...it takes HOW MANY frames to drop shield again?!

Yoshi Matchup Thread
Find out just how badly Yoshi ***** the entire cast. (Hint: VERY badly.)
Recently created over previous matchup guides. In other words, it's a work in progress.

Yoshi Chain-Grab List
Release grabs are kind of a ridiculous mechanic in Brawl. But hey, that doesn't mean you can't use them to your advantage, right?

Yoshi Can Wavedash
A thread on the Dragonic Reverse, Yoshi's most useful AT.

Yoshi Stage Discussion
Not entirely sure if I should keep this thread because it's pretty old. But until we get a new one it's here just for reference. Don't bump unless you have a good reason.

Yoshi Tournament Results
"We steppin' our **** up, where you at?" Post your results here.

Yoshi Locator Thread
Basically a Yoshi eHarmony. Except real people actually use this thread.

Playing Patiently
Overall Yoshi Improvement
Yomi Layers

Shiri's various advice threads. Very good to read, especially if you're considering stepping your Yoshi up to tournament level.

Yoshi Chat
If you need a chat room to talk about Yoshi (because talking about Yoshi in real life gets you beat up), look no further.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't really check the Brawl forums much any more, so if you have a suggestion for what might be added here just send me a PM.

- Kiwi

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
Awesome reference thread, perfect for someone like me who forgets where everything is lol. Good stuff, Kiwi.

Chaco

Never Logs In
DR...and ummm...the all important Iphone thread. XDDD

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I guess I could PM a mod or something.
The only reason I really want this to be stickied is that there's a whole bunch of OTHER threads that should be stickied, too, but I don't want to clog up the forums with a billion stickies when we can just use one.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Yea PM them but the only threads that you put on here that really should not be on here are Big's and Shiri's video thread aren't those vids in the actual video thread?

Edit: also you should ask them to unsticky the DR thread since we have this thread.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Actually, most of the vids on their respective threads aren't on the official thread, which was probably a conscious decision by Jile so that those threads wouldn't die.

Scala

Smash Ace
When you down-B onto a ledge, you need to hold the control stick in the direction facing the stage, right?
When you down-B from the ground to grab the ledge, how do you change the direction you're facing so you can grab it, or is that impossible?

Mmac

Smash Lord
I dunno \(O_o)/

But I'll find out....

Also you should add my "Release to Spike" Thread also

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I might be able to help you with that.

When you down+B to a ledge, you don't need to hold toward the stage to grab on. As long as you're not holding down, you will grab on as long as you're facing the stage.

It is impossible to perform a down+B from the ground and grab the edge.

You can, however, short hop to the edge and then perform a down+B to grab. You can also walk or run off and perform the down+B to grab, which is sometimes faster. If you are not facing the stage when you perform either of these maneuvers, you can hold diagonally down and toward the stage at the very beginning of the down+B to turn yourself around (consider it just like any other B reversal) so that you can grab the edge.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Umm Shiri, hate to throw that logic, but somehow, ONCE, I did a grounded down b and was going to SD and somehow I turned around and grabbed the ledge somehow.

Scala

Smash Ace
Yeah I could have sworn I saw a video of someone doing that once, which is why I was asking. I guess I'll have to do some practice since I always seem to pass by it even when I'm kinda close..

Chaco

Never Logs In
i would test this throughly I think it mightbe a ledge cancel for the attack, but iunno honestly.

Scala

Smash Ace
looking for a match, yoshi dittos are fun, catch me on AIM/MSN (info under my name)

e: nvm, maybe later

Scala

Smash Ace
I remember way back May/June, I went down to ACEN (an anime convention). While I was there, they had brawl set up. I sat down and had been playing Diddy/Zelda and had been winning for a long time. Now, one guy came up to me and said "I'm going to beat you with yoshi." I was skeptical at first. Then, we played, my diddy vs his yoshi and he beat me. And that's when I started playing Yoshi.

I was curious if this person that I played at ACEN is here on the yoshi boards somewhere... it would be too funny if it he was. :D

Chaco

Never Logs In
DP OH NOES!

Nice story though, that's be awesome.

And add the WD thread I guess Kiwi.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Amazing thread, very informative. I will be sure to check out the linked videos. And also, I should post way more in the Yoshi category. ^^ I don't really need to learn that much though I think... eh, this section of the forum is awesome, still. ^^

.Marik

is a social misfit
Sorry for the double post, but is this thread a general thread for discussion about Yoshi in general? Or should I or somebody else make one? XP

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I guess it COULD be. It would definitely cut back on all the new threads that are made here. I'm looking at you, CHACO. (jk)

So what do you peeps think of Yoshi's tier placement?

Mmac

Smash Lord
IT'S BULL****!

Sorry, but Yoshi isn't the 6th Worst in the game. Nowhere near that

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
I'm not surprised to see Yoshi there, but I also expected to see him rise at least a little in upcoming revisions of the tier list. If anything we need more tourney placings to back up what we discover here I guess.

.Marik

is a social misfit
I guess it COULD be. It would definitely cut back on all the new threads that are made here.

This was exactly why I was asking in the first place. xD

Also, tiers are for Queers. Yoshi is WAY better than bottom-tier man. And yet Mr.Game And Watch is top-tier? WTH? >_> (No hating on G&W people, I like him too)

Just like any other character, you just gotta know how to use Yoshi. But he's way better than bottom-tier, I can give you that. :yoshi:

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Nonsense. This is a serious thread. There's no room for pretty.
Serious, I say!

By the way, I'm fine with Yoshi's tier placement. It's exactly where I knew he was all along, and top of low means that he's likely to move up. Or down, I guess.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Cool, now in case I get lost on my way to the top of the forum, all I have to do is click on this link at the top of the forum and I can find my way. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom