• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound can spike!!!

Glick

Smash Lord
The rumors you may have heard are true! I was playing "snake" a while back in some friendlies as wolf, and the pound somehow shot him into the right corner of the screen. ( I pounded him off the stage). He didn't recover. The game was a little bit too long and I couldn't save the replay to prove it. I was playing someone today, and I managed to find the spike again. it was onto the top of the stage but it shows that pound CAN spike.

I'll post the video as soon as it finishes processing on youtube.

From what I can see, you have to jump into the button of jigglypuff during pound for the spike to work. I'm not exactly sure. This will need some testing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHOnAlZqQ3Y

(Also I don't get why the quality is so terrible. It looked crystal clear when I was editing it. Youtube ***** it)

Mmac

Smash Lord
Ow, that SloMo hurt my ears!

Anyways, I think the Spike Hitbox is Probably directly underneath her. Only my guess

Grunt

Smash Master
lol, i remember a thread in the GBD a loooooooooong time ago and everyone was like, "Nu uh, noob!"

Glick

Smash Lord
Ok. Lets start with what we saw.

A straight pound over Metaknight but not touching him.

Metaknight jumps straight up and hits jigglypuffs frontish side of her stomach. (referring to her entire portion behind her arm to her legs)

That ***** gets sent into the ground

This can be tested now that we have more info on it. Jeepy, you now have something to test. :p. I'll be testing it too though.

Zamuel

Smash Cadet
Did you jump or did the opponent have to jump? I ask since there's a chance you are cancelling the Pound into a Footstool Jump and it's maintaining the original momentum from the Pound.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
I think it has something to do with WHEN you hit with it, as well as the fact that he jumped. I don't use jiggly...ever...but I prowl the boards a bit.

Here's an interesting thought-vertical recoveries...

Glick

Smash Lord
Did you jump or did the opponent have to jump? I ask since there's a chance you are cancelling the Pound into a Footstool Jump and it's maintaining the original momentum from the Pound.
He jumped. Look at the video. He gets hit down. not foot stooled, where he would just float down.

Also, I'm having a lot of trouble replicating it. Its really really difficult. I haven't been able to pull it off even in slomo training mode.

rinoH

Smash Lord
im thinking that was just bad di but maybe it was a spike and if it is thats awsome but then how come its never happened to any of us?????

pklucas

Smash Apprentice
was it a rising or falling pound? Maybe that influenced it. I don't think there's any hope to do it if it can't be replicated in slo mo in training mode

Glick

Smash Lord
im thinking that was just bad di but maybe it was a spike and if it is thats awsome but then how come its never happened to any of us?????
I've done it before to a wolf and It actually shot him downwards. not directly but right diagonally off the screen.. I use pound a lot. More then any other move I think. Because approaching with fair ruins its power. So I do a lot of pound to bairs, since bairs reach is a little crappy.

was it a rising or falling pound? Maybe that influenced it. I don't think there's any hope to do it if it can't be replicated in slo mo in training mode
Read the entire post with the pictures. its step by step what I did.

Glick

Smash Lord
I'm sure most of you have seen where if you pound them and their sort of in your body, they go to the right or left. Then what makes you think it doesn't work downwards?

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
lol @ the slow mo

This is an interesting find and it'd be great if someone could find a consistent way to replicate it. I'm thinking that where the hitbox is or the fact that someone jumped into it is the factor cause it resembles what alex told me in the jiggly chatroom one time. He said he pound spiked someone while doing a falling pound towards the stage while his opponent jumped up towards the stage. He never sent me the replay but I'm pretty sure that's how he described it to me, might be a bit off.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I was testing this in Training today. No good results. I had the Falco keep jumping into the bottom of my Pound but he kept going upward. I'm thinking it was a DI downward that thwumped him into the ground. You can do that with basically ANY move.

Tyser

Smash Champion
I did this about 3 daze ago against my cousin. I didnt even notice it until I watched the vidjo though o.O. I guess they just have to be directly under Jiggles.

J0RDY

Smash Journeyman
If this is true, Jiggs for god tier?
(That thing behind MKs mask isn't from the kirby series >_>)

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♥Wow.... that's great for jigglypuff.^__^

Maybe her tourney potential will increase due to these new developments. ;)

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Yeah, she really has some great stuff like an amazing boost smash, some amazing ability to avoid edgeguarders on FD with an under lip recovery, and others. I'm looking to see if the tap jump off dolphin slash technique could be useful for jiggs with sing.

Skin

Smash Rookie
I'm gonna have to guess that, like other people theorized, that it was bad DI. MK and Wolf it's happened to? What're they gonna mash the most as primary killing moves on the ground? Down smash. They may have jumped or something just before it, but maybe it was just a reflex to C-Stick down. Seems that nobody is able to replicate this on a CPU jumping, so the DI thing makes most sense to me.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
But a DI couldn't do this drastic a result, especially against a pound. It send you to far up so even if you are holding down on the control panel, this won't happen so it should be a true spike.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
If there's any hitlag at all, you can DI downward during it and slam into the ground, regardless of the angle you get hit in, but you can't be standing on the ground when hit.

Glick

Smash Lord
Ok. Heres whats on my mind. Lets take a look at the percent gauge. Before a few tests I just ran, I was under the impression that under 25% a spike on the ground couldn't have you land on your back. You would land on your feet. Just go take falco or diddy kong in training mode. Have the computer jump up and down. When they spike them, they land on their feet. I now know that its not percent, its the speed that you travel to the ground. Take ness (strongest knockback spike) and spike a jumping computer into the ground. They dont land on their feet.

Now, Metaknight was under 25% when he got spiked in my video. and he didn't land on his feet.... Does that mean that this isn't a real spike? or a very strong one?

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I hit right in Jiggly's armpit, I swear. There wasn't a spike.

Pit's uSmash does the exact same thing (the first hits). It gives the illusion of a spike but it's really just a DI.

Glick

Smash Lord
Glick, I tested jumping Meta Knight, same colour, same damage, and after getting the hit just right, there was no spike.

Sorry to disappoint you.
I've been doing that, and I've been saying that I cant replicate it. But more then one person have said it has happened. Its just a really small chance that it will spike.

Edit: well then have someone di down while you do it. maybe it will work and this will be solved.

Amide

Smash Lord
I think I've done this before too, but only once, and it was weird...

@rinoH

You can't really DI down.

Top Bottom