• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Dolphin Slash Out of Shield with Tap Jump OFF W/ INVINCIBILITY!!!

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Disclaimer: Some people argue this is too hard or uncomfortable to do, but I don't think so. Either way. You've been warned.

Yes, the great Dolphin Slash out of shield.
Lately a lot of people have turned Tap Jump back On because of this awesome move.
But technically, don't have to turn it off to do it. You need need to Jump Cancel out of your shield.
To get this done you need to press Jump at the same time you press B. This is done for you automatically if you have tap jump on (because the analog stick goes up).

Well, here's how you do it:
With Tap Jump Off, Hold the L button and press Up on the analog stick. You'll see his shield move up.
The tricky part is this: Press Y and B at the same time.

You can do this easily by tapping the Y button from the right side with your index finger and pressing B with your thumb as you normally.

Sure it sounds unorthodox at first but in less than day or practice it should become second nature to you.

It's somewhat just as odd as learning to SHFFL in Melee was (your hand moving from X to C-Stick). Your hand moves the same distance. Your index finger usually rests on Z anyway, so moving it to tap Y shouldn't be that difficult. Grab a controller and try it.

But the point is, this way, you have all the benefits of Tap Jump Off and can still Dolphin Slash out of shield with invincibility frames. Some will get it easily, some won't, but I'm just showing you different options exist.

Remember: You can always remap Jump to something else like L/R/Z
Video showing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0dmGGVYGbE&fmt=18

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
You don't hit jump then b at the same time, you do up-b right after you do the jump because whats really happening is that you're up-bing after the jump animation starts but before you leave the ground.

Btw tap jump off feels weird as hell, default controls ftw.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
You don't hit jump then b at the same time, you do up-b right after you do the jump because whats really happening is that you're up-bing after the jump animation starts but before you leave the ground.

Btw tap jump off feels weird as hell, default controls ftw.
You don't have to wait after pressing Jump. You press them at the same time. If you wait 1 frame after jumping to press B then you don't get invincibility frames.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
is like zap jump for Lucas, so i don't see it hard
Not quite

it looks cool. I may have accidentaly done this before (or twice). I wonder if it can stop the Meta Knight tornado attack...?
Yes it can. Dolphin Slash has 4 frames of invincibility as soon as you start it, and the slash comes out on frame 5. This means Marth can effectively punish anyone that hits his shield.

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
Dolphin Slash has 4 frames of invincibility as soon as you start it
I'm pretty sure you get 5 invincibility frames, meaning that you get invincibility on the slash's first frame. I think EL said something like this on the G&W matchup thread or something

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
You are invincible on frames 1-5, including 5. The move hits on frame 5. Meaning you cannot be interrupted once it starts.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
is like zap jump for Lucas, so i don't see it hard
Pierce, he meant you press Jump and B at the same time.

I'm pretty sure you get 5 invincibility frames, meaning that you get invincibility on the slash's first frame. I think EL said something like this on the G&W matchup thread or something
Yeah, and it was M2K back when the game JPN version came out. A LONG time ago
Remember this thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=143923

Mew2King said:
marth is invincible the first 5 (maybe 6) frames of his up B, while in SSBM it was only frame 5 you were invincible

what's this mean? UP B IS MARTHS NEW SHINE
Remember M2K started being famous in smashboards because he posted a bunch of frame data for Melee. This is before he went all pro. There's no one I trust more with frame data than M2K

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
You don't have to wait after pressing Jump. You press them at the same time. If you wait 1 frame after jumping to press B then you don't get invincibility frames.
What? I don't understand what you're saying lol. doesn't dolphin slash always have invincability frames on like the first 4 / 5 automatically when you use it?How would hitting jump and b at the same time affect that? Am I missing something?

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
What? I don't understand what you're saying lol. doesn't dolphin slash always have invincability frames on like the first 4 / 5 automatically when you use it?How would hitting jump and b at the same time affect that? Am I missing something?
You're right. It's worded it weird. You can tell I wrote that at 1AM. I guess I meant immediate invincibility frames when getting out of shield. You are vulnerable for the amount of frames you take to press B (like trying to jump and press it or letting go of shield).

Like in the video, if you wait a single frame after press Y to press B, you'll get hit by ROB's attack.

If you press Y and B at the same time, there's 0 frames between Shield and Dolphin Slash. I checked the frame data (I record at 60fps) and there is not one frame of a jump animation. It goes Shield straight into Dolphin Slash.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I'm assuming that marth cant do his Up+B out of his shield by simply dropping his shield and pressing up+b at the same time since ppl are debating the tap jump issue. I have managed to do just fine by dropping my shield and then initiating the dolphin slash command but this may just be me. I dont like the thought of accidentally wasting my 2nd jump (uair offstage or some other accidental input), and obviously u still keep ur u-tilt nice and easy just in case.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I'm assuming that marth cant do his Up+B out of his shield by simply dropping his shield and pressing up+b at the same time since ppl are debating the tap jump issue. I have managed to do just fine by dropping my shield and then initiating the dolphin slash command but this may just be me. I dont like the thought of accidentally wasting my 2nd jump (uair offstage or some other accidental input), and obviously u still keep ur u-tilt nice and easy just in case.
That takes four frames Backlash. This is used to interrupt multi-hit moves mostly. By the time you let your shield down, you'll be hit by the attack again and stuff. Especially on low-lag stuff like jabs/ROB's Dsmash/Mach Tornado/etc.

Also, play better people? If it has always worked for you, your friends aren't really up-to-par with you from inference.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Ok thanks. I didnt mean that it works all the time, i just meant it has worked before (and i believe against ROB's down smash). I guess i may turn tap jump on if those 4 frames make me that vulnerable.
::scratches head::
You're not vulnerable if you press Y and UP+B at the same time. You're only vulnerable if you let go of shield to press UP+B. The original post is talking about how to not have to run on tap jump and keep stay invincible from shield to Dolphin Slash.

And I was testing more with my friend today. You can't let go of shield and press UP+B against MetaKnight's Jab combo, but pressing Y and UP+B does work just fine.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
-_- Ummm, i was reffering to the 4 frames it takes to release ur shield to ur up+b. Thus, turning the tap jump on will get rid of this.
You're confusing me. But you do understand with tap jump off, you don't HAVE to let go of shield, right?

There is no reason to really let go of shield regardless if you're using tap jump on or off. Before finding out you can press Jump at the same time as press B, people would let go of shield (those 4 frames of vulnerability). That doesn't apply anymore since you can achieve the same affect (0 frames of vulnerability) with tap jump on or off. It's just that Tap Jump off requires you press Jump while you do it.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
You're right. It's worded it weird. You can tell I wrote that at 1AM. I guess I meant immediate invincibility frames when getting out of shield. You are vulnerable for the amount of frames you take to press B (like trying to jump and press it or letting go of shield).

Like in the video, if you wait a single frame after press Y to press B, you'll get hit by ROB's attack.

If you press Y and B at the same time, there's 0 frames between Shield and Dolphin Slash. I checked the frame data (I record at 60fps) and there is not one frame of a jump animation. It goes Shield straight into Dolphin Slash.

Really? Thanks for clearing that up =)

IDK

Smash Lord
yeah, it IS like zap jump for lucas. the input at least. if you want to do it without bsticking you can move your fingers to hit y and b at the same time. this is ALMOST the same. just the b is up not side, and is done a millisecond afterwards.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I have tap jump off yet I've never once had trouble getting the invincible Dolphin Slash out of shield.

My R is set to jump, and I have no springs in my shoulder buttons. I hit R+up B and it works perfectly.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
I have tap jump off yet I've never once had trouble getting the invincible Dolphin Slash out of shield.

My R is set to jump, and I have no springs in my shoulder buttons. I hit R+up B and it works perfectly.
Yeah, I tried doing that today but the springs would have to go. I thought mods like that weren't allowed at tourneys

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Yeah, I tried doing that today but the springs would have to go. I thought mods like that weren't allowed at tourneys
Check the official SBR ruleset. The L/R spring removal mod is the only tournament legal controller modification.

prOAPC

Smash Lord

Clawing helps a lot for me - especially with this :)

If it doesn't feel weird for you guys, I do suggest trying it out.

Source from my peach thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=180115
use classic controller, with your thumb you can press 2 buttons at the same time easily
does this tech only work with Marth? I've heard that Bowser has a good UpB out of shield, but i don't know... What about Toon Link?

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
use classic controller, with your thumb you can press 2 buttons at the same time easily
does this tech only work with Marth? I've heard that Bowser has a good UpB out of shield, but i don't know... What about Toon Link?
It works on MetaKnight and Link. I've tried it. I haven't with Toon Link, but I don't see why not.

Xervah

Smash Cadet
I prefer to change the Y button to special, Y button never had any practical use for me anyways. If you prefer to jump with Y, just use X for the specials.
Hitting X and Y at the same time is much easier than hitting Y + B or X +B.

Top Bottom