• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf, Reverse Buffering, True Combos, and...Frame Data?

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Swoops here, self-proclaimed master of Ganondry.

First off I want to say that the content in this thread could easily go in one of the many tech threads on these boards, but I just feel that in these hectic messy Brawl Boards (not just Ganon Boards) the only way to really get an ounce of attention is to create your own thread, and I wanted to go in depth. Maybe later in time people can actually post new information in the same thread, but we'll see.

Realize that in no way do I expect this thread to last. It is specifically to gain attention for certain things about Ganon's game.

There are a few things I want to talk about. I mentioned some things in other threads but I might go into a little more detail with them here.

• [*]Reverse Buffering with Ganon (I'll explain if you don't know, it's not complicated)
    [*]True Combos
    [*]FJ N-air (Maybe, I already mentioned it a few times lol)
    [*]Ganondorf Frame Data!
    [*]Videos

Lol, actually a pretty short list.

Reverse Buffering with Ganon

Everyone should know what buffering is and how it got added into Brawl, if you input a command during the ending frames of a previous action, the input will be executed on the first frame possible. Chances are you already use buffering and reverse buffering. You d-air then press A before you hit the ground, you get a jab immediately after. You do a RAR u-air and f-tilt the other direction (not exactly reverse buffering, but close enough.) You can buffer any command in this game though, including turning the other direction. Push the d-stick the opposite direction during an ACed aerial before you hit the ground, and you turn around asap. This is way more useful than it sounds.

Ganon has a pretty **** good retreating aerial game. His b-air has really nice priority and snuffs a lot of incoming aerials, and his tipman u-air covers a good area, has decent priority, and leads to other things as many people know. People still tend to rush in or let their guard down after these autocanceled aerials because they can usually punish. F-tilt after these is pretty punishable too.

This is where reverse buffering is really f*cking nice to use (it's nice for advancing with these aerials too.) Tipman u-airs and b-airs into d-tilts and jabs are really nice, catch people by surprise when they let their guard down and help you create a more solid retreat and approach. It's obvious you can get Gerudo and DA the other direction, but you can also reverse buffer wizards foot!

(1) The Jab

Reverse jab is really nice to cover your *** on ACed aerials and keeps people away as well as annoys the opponent. The input is simple, (I will let you figure out the right timing for yourself) before you land during the ending of your aerial, slightly hold the opposite direction, let go, then press A. To be honest it's something you get the feel of yourself but that's basically the input.

(2) D-Tilt

When you hit c-stick down at a certain point in aerials (timing isn't too strict) you get a d-tilt instead of a d-smash. So, hit the opposite direction, c-stick down during the end of the aerial. Be wary that too early=fastfall (very bad), too late=d-smash (not as bad, but still pretty bad.) I use this the most. Has the most reach, can poke under shields, actually fairly safe if you know what you're doing, and pops up for u-airs. I back my aerials up with this all the f*cking time.

(3) Wizard's Kick

Wizard's Kick is a pretty hard one actually, I don't have it down all the way just yet. But you catch airdodgers coming down to the ground after an aerial, can immediately fly across the stage in the opposite direction for kick cancel, spam reverse aerials far away then all of the sudden hit them with a kick from half the stage, and other goodies. Harder because you have to hit two directional inputs within a very short time frame, opposite and vB. I'm pretty sure you can't quarter circle it.

Dash Attack

This one doesn't seem difficult at first, but that's because it happens on accident a lot. Turns out it's slightly hard to recreate intentionally. I've found their are two methods that seem to work decently for this, but not consistently yet. The problem is that you have to buffer the turnaround, the dash forward, and the c-stick down all before you land. The two methods I've found is double tapping the d-stick in a direction and hitting c-stick down before landing, and holding d-stick in a direction then c-stick down. Actually, both these methods are consistent as long as you get the timing down, so practice. If you mess up the timing you get d-smash...not good. This might prove to be one of the more useful reverse buffers...seeing as it's as fast as d-tilt (though I'm not sure if a turnaround animation has any frames on it) and has really good horizontal movement.

Whew...longer than I thought. Basically get the timing down yourselves, just takes a bit of practice. Remember there is a difference in timing when you hit them and don't hit them. Honestly it's a very simple technique that probably a lot of people know, but it's very useful to Ganon. It pretty much just backs up his awkward aerial hitboxes that dont hit people on the ground without lagging, and gives him a way of advancing with his tilts. It catches anybody that lets their guard down and makes his defense and even his approach a little bit better. Also leads to my next section...

True Combos

*IMPORTANT: D-Air>U-Smash is never guaranteed or a true combo from what I can tell*
It counts as two hits in training mode, but that's bullsh*t. Everyone can airdodge out of this or even attack, I'm pretty sure.

^^THE HITS METER IS A LIE!

Alright, I honestly don't like to search for true combos. This is Brawl, and it seems more useful to me to find strings of attacks that keep the opponent at a disadvantage and limit his options (lol I know all true combos do that.) But if I happen to come upon a true combo that does exactly that and is practical, I'm not going to ignore it.

Tipman U-Air, or RAR U-Air where you hit with his toes, actually gives enough stun sometimes, to give you guaranteed hits. Now, with the little bit of testing I did, it seems that these percents vary a bit and there might be small windows as to what move is guaranteed at what percent. I'm a fan of practicality and these fluctuating %'s annoy me (like the fact that d-air>u-smash actually has like less than a 20% window and varies from character to character). But this is useful to know. Did my testing with Lucario, plan to do some more chars. Yes, character (ie weight) dependant, but not much.

Tipman>D-Tilt: Started being guaranteed at 60%, and continued to be guaranteed to at least 100%. Earliest move to be guaranteed. Note: It actually interests me that this is the earliest move to be guaranteed. I would of thought it would be Jab. I want some frame data.

^This is the only one I'm sure of. I'll list the others in somewhat order of what % they become guaranteed.

Tipman>Jab: Think this becomes guaranteed at around 67% and has a small window of being guaranteed.

Tipman>F-Tilt: Oof, not sure. Around 85% I believe, but goes up to around 110% I believe.

Tipman>DA: Not sure at all what percent, but it has a pretty short window I think.

Tipman>WizKick: NOT GUARANTEED

Tipman>Gerudo: NOT GUARANTEED

EDIT: From what I can tell, tipman into Gerudo/Wizard's Foot is not guaranteed. I'm pretty sure I got a trip or two, because I cannot recreate these reliably. Tipman into Gerudo is still **** good though, so don't let this discourage you.

Alright, I've decided I'm not going to go and test percents for guarantees on each character. In every case with these attacks, you're most likely going to hit them, and most likely not to get punished for trying. I will give you a general percentage for those interested however.

Hits after tipman start becoming guaranteed from 50% (lightest, I used Fox) to 65% (Bowser.) Tipman starts sliding to far after 90-100% but you might still be able to get a successful DA.

FJ N-Air

I mentioned this stuff in a couple other threads but I thought I'd write it up here as well. To all who say that N-Air is useless or has very limited options, don't mess around with Ganon's moveset enough. FJ N-Air is not an autocancel, the animation finishes right before you hit the ground, allowing for a double jump, or ground level aerial gerudo.

This simple fact opens up a lot of options for Ganondorf, and gives him somewhat of a spammable wall (kinda.) FJ N-Air covers a good distance in front of him, stopping quite a few aerial advances. When you double jump a N-Air out of the FJ N-Air, if you don't fastfall, the second one autocancels. You can kind of spam this far away and it's pretty hard to get through aerially. However, people can get under it and attack from below. Mind games ensue...

DJ F-Air, DJ D-Air, Gerudo, DJ U-Air, DJ B-Air, and DJ WizKick are all excellent options out of FJ N-Air.
(I didn't need to write all the aerials out, but I felt like it)

DJ F-Air, DJ D-Air, Gerudo, and DJ WizKick are the best options if they try to get in from below or for fake-outs. They will eat these a lot. I have a preference of F-Air over the others due to spacing and the hitbox, but that's me.

DJ D-air, Gerudo, DJ U-Air, DJ B-Air, and DJ N-Air are the ones I use for an actual follow up after I hit FJ N-Air. How in the world do I land FJ N-Air on somebody, you might ask? Few ways actually. U-Throw at earlier percents and D-Throw at later percents both set your opponent up in the air perfectly. Of course they can airdodge, but with Ganon's only multi-hit attack, it's hard to get just right. Also, at close range, and starting at 50% I believe, the first hit of FJ N-Air knocks up into the second hit for a true combo. Not sure if DI will change that, but I'm pretty sure it wont.

D-Air follow ups and Gerudo follow ups are really fun after FJ N-Air :)

This adds some more great mind game potential to Ganondorf's arsenal, and also some very nice strings of attacks after U-Throw or D-Throw.

Ganondorf Frame Data!

This is for anyone who's interested in some in depth analysis of the speed and frames of Ganon's moveset. If anyone wants any data on a move they do not see here, let me know and I'll get on it.

Basically, my method of testing involved my recording device (capture card) and my recording software (Pinnacle Studio.) It calculates the video in 30 fps, and since Brawl runs at 60 fps, I had to do some converting. Multiply by 2 pretty much, and I recorded a couple of trials so I could average in case of odd numbers. Not too complicated and if anybody is suspicious about some of the numbers, I'll go into a little more depth if you want.

So the regular frames that I'm measuring are neutral to hit. I did the lag frames of some moves as well, which is hit to shield (doesn't need to completely cover Ganon.) The only lag frames I did on aerials though were the landing lag frames. I did shield stun as well, even though it's usually non existent and usually useless in Brawl. I was pretty sure I should not include the freeze frames in the shield stun, not completely sure though. I tested a few misc. things too. Here we go...I actually had some trouble figuring out how to organize this.

( )-Regular (neu to hitbox)
( )-Lag (hitbox to shield)
(L-)-Landing Lag
( )-Frame Advantage (neu. to opponent shield/control)

Standards
  • Jab (8-9) (28)
  • D-Tilt (15-16) (26)
  • -(Standing) D-Tilt (10.5-11.5)
  • F-Tilt (9.5-10.5) (40)
  • iDA (11-12)

Aerials
  • N-Air (7-8) (L-24)
  • B-Air (9-10) (L-24)
  • U-Air (6.5-7.5) (L-24)
  • -Tipman* (15-16)
  • F-Air (15.5-16.5) (L-34)
  • Thunderstorm** (23-24) (L-36)

Smashes
  • D-Smash (15-16)
  • U-Smash (21-22)
  • -IASA*** (19.5-20.5)
  • F-Smash (21-22)

Shield Stuns Woo Hoo
  • F-Smash (10)
  • Thunderstorm (10)
  • F-Air (8)

Attack Stuns
  • Thunderstorm (11-12 when 0%, any other %=0)
  • Tipman Slide (0-20 depending on percent and character)
Misc.
  • Recovery Carryover Lag (15-16)
  • Gerudo (17-18)
  • Wizard's Foot (17-18)
  • Empty Lag on Jumps (2-3)
  • SH Air Dodge Vulnerability (ending 5-6)
  • Grab (7-8)
  • Quake (~12) (at least 52)

* I measured when the last tipman hitbox came out
** Used "Thunderstorm" because i measured the entire time for a lagless SH D-Air, from jump to land. Seemed more useful to know I guess.
*** This was just the number of frames from hit to shield. Meaning its cooldown is actually quicker than jab lol.

Notes
  • I noticed how shield stun really doesn't matter that much given freeze frames and Ganon's lag, but with pushback it's alright. They can still be punished, but with the pushback+stun, you have a good chance of not getting punished.
  • When getting rid of recovery carryover lag (from now on I'm just calling it RCO lag,) just empty jump/airdodge. It has less lag than all your aerials.
  • The last three aren't really Ganon specific but I thought it was important to test them. Actually, it's important to know this against other characters. I started counting from the jump, and Ganon was vulnerable from frame 38 to shield, which happened to be 6 frames. Probably a little vulnerable on start up too, but I didn't check.

Know how to punish landing opponents. This is how I now get a lot of my Gerudos, and how you can trap with Wizard's Foot. Basically, if you have good timing, once they get to a certain height above the ground, they can't do a lot when you bust out Gerudo or Wizard's Foot/DA/Grab.
  • Never, ever, use Quake...ever.

Attack Stun Notes

Since I was kind of general with the attack stun frames, I thought I'd go a little more in depth here.
Thunderstorm stun is actually close to crap. I only tested both stun frame data with Lucario (I know, I know, more character testing.) I only tested frame data from my neutral landed position, to airdodge or shield by the opponent. But on Lucario at least, stun at 0% was only 12 frames, and at every other percent there was no stun! Lucario could airdodge before I could even do anything. So remember...hits meter is a big fat liar enclosed in a box.

Tipman slide stun varied a little bit and it might more so with different characters. But basically, I started at 45% and recorded the frame stun at every tipman damage (meaning I didn't set the damage every time, I just used damage after every hit.) Since tipman does 6%, it went 45%, 51%, 57, 63 etc... It gradually increases stun time by 2 frames every so often. At 111% it became 20 frames of stun time.

Lol I realize this^ might get too in depth with the frame analysis and might not matter, but I think it's important to know Ganon's moveset in and out.

Videos

Mmkay, I have one video that's really old and it's an online video, but it demonstrates a little bit of FJ N-Air use. Lol don't actually judge me on the match just look at a little bit of what I'm talking about. I'll try to get more vids up.

FJ N-Air Stuff in Action! -Kinda bad video but it has some FJ N-Air use

Reverse Buffering and FJ N-Air - A little longer than I probably needed to make it for such a couple quick concepts but hey it's footage

-I'm going to actually get some game footage when I go to a tournament next weekend.

--------------------------
I'm hoping to get more involved lately, and maybe if I have enough time I can get a Ganon Guide together to collect basic moveset stuff and other good sh*t from other threads.

-Swoops

Gleam

Smash Ace
I hope you don't mind if I bring this into the little tech thread I'm doing. This stuff you mentioning seems pretty...brilliant to say the least. Or at least it sounds very well informed. And of course you'd be getting credit.

Good information and it defintely seems like you know what your talking about.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Go right ahead, you can shorten it up and put it in that thread if you want. I felt like going pretty in depth with it which is why i put it in a separate thread. Lol I love looking like I know what I'm talking about :p.

Well, I've been with Ganon since day one, I just wasn't nearly as involved as Sliq was with discovery. But I was exploring in my own little world...I feel guilty telling you, but I've had this stuff for a while, I've just been preoccupied.

:034:

Smash Hero
Swoops > everyone

Although, with dtilt, is it really timing and not just holding down the control stick a little? Control stick + C-stick = tilt rather than a smash.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Swoops > everyone

Although, with dtilt, is it really timing and not just holding down the control stick a little? Control stick + C-stick = tilt rather than a smash.
Yea, it is timing. I think what it is, is when you land without lag, the game sorta registers you as crouching. Meaning you just hit the c-stick down and you get d-tilt. At least that's what it seems like it's doing.

Try a canceled stomp and then try to buffer in a regular d-tilt with just the c-stick. If you press it too early, it'll make you fastfall and lag. If you press it too late, you'll end up doing a d-smash.

MoblinMan

Smash Apprentice
Nice Job! It never occurred to me to use the tipman close to the ground before. I usually just use it to gimp link or etc. Looking forward to trying it out.

You full jumped the nairs a lot in that vid, too. It looks like you were making him hesitate when you used it. Does that make an effective wall?

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Nice Job! It never occurred to me to use the tipman close to the ground before. I usually just use it to gimp link or etc. Looking forward to trying it out.

You full jumped the nairs a lot in that vid, too. It looks like you were making him hesitate when you used it. Does that make an effective wall?
Tipman is nice on the ground...well, it's decent. See, it has pretty good priority and decent hitbox on a lot of characters, but it has a couple of problems. One, it'll miss on grounded characters that are shorter, Olimar, Jiggz, and the like. Two, U-Air is fast, but it takes a while for the actual tipman hitbox to come out, meaning it can be interrupted a lot easier than most of his moves.

However, I still use it on the shorter characters to snuff shorthops so they are tipmaned right back to the ground. It shouldn't have an effect on the true combos but I'll check. But know you're spacing with it so you don't get hit too often.

FJ N-Airs are nice to cover your front, and people are wary to attack you while you're in the air with these because they usually get hit. But like you saw in the video, he realized that he could start to go under it, which is when you can start DJing F-Airs, stomps, and WizKicks out of it.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Well, depends on what you're specifically asking. Reverse ACed U-Air hits Falco on the ground. I believe there is a full list of who it hits in Sliq's info, not sure though.

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
Hmmmm.....

Heh, I should be more active on the board...I'm missing so much = /

Very interesting read, glad to see someone explain buffering with Ganon, it looks promising. Never really understood what was so good about it until now. I am liking the vB buffer from an aerial as it seems like a nice way to cover ground and possibly chase off of the edge or even as an escape measure. Keep up the good work, Ganon's game just might develop even further.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Bump, just a few updates in the True Combos section.

Plus, I'm not sure if anyone cares but I'll probably do frame data.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Have one more video up. Lol it's longer than it needs to be for simple concepts but it still shows some interesting stuff. I'm hoping to get some videos when I go to a tourney next weekend.

Phazon Warrior

Smash Cadet
Amazing videos! Using the full jump neutral airs after an up throw, and the potential combos out of that, is genius. You have definitely advanced Ganondorf gameplay for the rest of us.

Thanks.

theEffinBear

Smash Apprentice
A quick edit: I might be doing some frame data stuff, specifically because it really interests me on some of his quicker attacks and some other ones. I know a lot of people won't care, but I'll post it just if anybody out there does.
YES PLZKTHX. If you have the set-up for to do frame data, I'd love to see it. I'm especially interested in seeing how the jab, the standing d-tilt, and the crouching-then-d-tilt actually work relative to each other.

FJ N-Air
I mentioned this stuff in a couple other threads but I thought I'd write it up here as well. To all who say that N-Air is useless or has very limited options, don't mess around with Ganon's moveset enough. FJ N-Air is not an autocancel, the animation finishes right before you hit the ground, allowing for a double jump, or ground level aerial gerudo.
I've been having some success with full-hop n-air to double-jumped u-air. This u-air also completes before you land, so again you have the option of doing a barely-aerial Murder Choke. Or if you're willing to suffer the landing lag, you can toss out another n-air or another u-air (their initial hitboxes do activate).

Regardless of what you set it up with, the barely-aerial Murder Choke is surprisingly useful for a couple reasons. It's obviously good for setting up tech chasing (and almost strictly superior to the grounded Murder Choke on those characters that no follow-up is guaranteed on). But second, the barely-aerial Murder Choke can be used to retreat temporarily while taking care of that bastagely up-B/forward-B carryover landing lag. This carryover landing lag is an important enough point that I'm going to make a new topic for it -- I will have some info up soon, and I'll edit in a link from here when I finish it, as well as a summary of my findings.

/RtEB
[size=-2]I'm pretty sure that the carryover landing lag is due to Brawl's new method of dealing with helplessness, because "helpless" and "in a post-3rd-jump state" are now independent and somehow being hit and grabbing a ledge only wipes the "helpless" state, but not the "post-3rd-jump" state.
I AM SAKURAI'S LACK OF CONSISTENCY CHECKS.[/size]

Shadow Nataku

Smash Ace
Thats actually one of the best Ganny's I've seen, even noticed you using the Tipman as a edge recovery attack quite alot, one of his best options. Though something worth mentioning is I think you use the Wizard's kick just a little bit too much. I actually saw alot of moments the DK could've simply grabbed you straight out of it but he kept failing to capitalize on it.

Great little strategies alot of Ganny players need to be doing more of especially the FJ N-Air. I use that quite alot myself, its actually sometimes possible to do the N-Air upto 3 times before ever hitting the ground if your quick enough.

This is one of the most worthwhile topics around here in a while.

theEffinBear

Smash Apprentice
Eh, screw the "editing my previous post" thing. Frikkin carryover landfall state.

Full details, etc, are located [thread=192715]in my full thread[/thread].
[size=+1]SUMMARY:[/size]
If you are afflicted by carryover landfall state, then all IASA frames on landing animations are disabled. You will always be forced to wait through the entire landing animation and Ganondorf will not act on controller input until he finishes regaining his footing and stands at neutral. But not every landing has IASA frames, and correspondingly not every landing will use up the carryover "landfall special" state.

You are placed into the carryover state by doing any of the following:
• using up-B.
• using forward-B.

You can get out of the carryover state by performing a landing that would normally have IASA frames (or dying), which involves any of the following:
• landing at neutral from your regular midair state or airdodging.
• landing during the d-air, f-air, n-air, b-air, or u-air.
• landing while helpless from your up-B or your forward-B.
• hitting someone with a flying Murder Choke (BUT ONLY IF THE CARRYOVER STATE WAS CAUSED BY THAT FLYING MURDER CHOKE ITSELF).

• ...dying.

The following DO NOT get you out of the carryover state, despite what you would think:
• being hit.
• grabbing the ledge.
• hitting someone with the grab portion of the up-B.
• hitting someone with an aerial forward-B if you were already in the carryover state.
• landing while tumbling.
• landing during the down-B or neutral-B.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
purely excellent thread. if people utilize this stuff more, Ganon could rise up in the ranks, if only by a little

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
YES PLZKTHX. If you have the set-up for to do frame data, I'd love to see it. I'm especially interested in seeing how the jab, the standing d-tilt, and the crouching-then-d-tilt actually work relative to each other.
That was definitely one of the main things I was interested in, wanted to see the frames of his quicker standard attacks in comparison with each other. Another I just thought of was shield stun on sweetspotted f-air. I think a couple of his aerial frames interested me too. If you think of anything else let me know.

Lol the set-up I have is pretty much the recording device I use. Measures in hours:minutes:seconds:frames. It calculates in 30 fps though so I just have to do quick easy converting. Maybe a silly question but brawl does run at 60 fps right :p?

Smash Hero
I'm wondering something now: fair and other aerials have autocancel windows right in the beginning of the move. Can't you use these autocancel windows to negate the landing lag when coming up from the ledge? That would help a lot with recovery, as I've gotten hit numerous times because of that up+b lag.

theEffinBear

Smash Apprentice
That was definitely one of the main things I was interested in, wanted to see the frames of his quicker standard attacks in comparison with each other. Another I just thought of was shield stun on sweetspotted f-air. I think a couple of his aerial frames interested me too. If you think of anything else let me know.
I'd love to see the frame data on the landing lag of all of G-dorf's aerials, both when landing regularly and when suffering from carryover. Specifically the first frame after landing during (say) an u-air that the shield is covering you. As I said just now in the carryover topic, u-air has the least carryover'd landing lag of all his aerials (I think), but I don't know about regular landing lag, and I don't know any actual frame numbers.

Lol the set-up I have is pretty much the recording device I use. Measures in hours:minutes:seconds:frames. It calculates in 30 fps though so I just have to do quick easy converting. Maybe a silly question but brawl does run at 60 fps right :p?
Since my setup is "not having a recording device", you're ahead of me by at least that step ;)
But yeah, Brawl runs at 60fps. [post=4338817]This post by Magus420[/post] (from the apparently-defunct Super Armor topic) has a lot of information about how to do frame analysis, if you see interlacing and other crazy types of crap that you need to take care of (if your recording device cuts out all that bullsht, then no worries).

Flying Dutchman: [post=5295849]my response[/post] is in carryover topic (short answer: no, landing during autocancel frames is the same as landing at neutral, so carryover lag is still there. BALLS.)

/RtEB

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
I did do a few multiple trials of recording different moves, and since I'm multiplying each of the recorded data by two, I take averages. When I get multiple sets (e.g 8 & 9) it turns out to be 16 & 18 in 60 fps, so i take the average of 17 frames. A lot of them aren't that simple and turn out to be --.5 or something, but from what I can tell it's pretty accurate.

I think what FD was asking, was if the beginning frames on the f-air canceled out the carryover on landing. When you land a f-air during the very beginning of its animation, it resets to standing without any lag. I'm actually kind of interested in that too.

edit- Or maybe he wasn't lol, but yea regular ACs don't negate the carryover. As of yet, other than using the lag or getting the lag on a landed aerial, you can't get rid of carryover :crying:.

Effin, you would probably be the one to ask, but isn't the carryover lag the same on everything? I thought it was just the same lag frames every time, so I was just gunna record those.

crap monkey

Smash Rookie
This is a wonderful thread swoops. This adds a lot to my game, now knowing that I can get rid of a lot of the lag on my attacks and go straight into others. If I can get myself up to speed all my friends will hate me when I use ganon, just as they do now when I use metaknight and Snake. Although I do have a question, in your second video when you did FJ nairs into dairs, is there a certain timing to not land with lag? You do it but I can't to think of how.

theEffinBear

Smash Apprentice
First, I realize I h'ain't thanked you (Swoops) for this thread, as helpful and cool stuff has come of it. Therefore: thanks!
A++, would read threads by Swoops again.

I did do a few multiple trials of recording different moves, and since I'm multiplying each of the recorded data by two, I take averages. When I get multiple sets (e.g 8 & 9) it turns out to be 16 & 18 in 60 fps, so i take the average of 17 frames. A lot of them aren't that simple and turn out to be --.5 or something, but from what I can tell it's pretty accurate.
Cool cool -- if it works consistently and is reproducible, I'm all for it.

I think what FD was asking, was if the beginning frames on the f-air canceled out the carryover on landing. When you land a f-air during the very beginning of its animation, it resets to standing without any lag. I'm actually kind of interested in that too.

edit- Or maybe he wasn't lol, but yea regular ACs don't negate the carryover. As of yet, other than using the lag or getting the lag on a landed aerial, you can't get rid of carryover :crying:.

Effin, you would probably be the one to ask, but isn't the carryover lag the same on everything? I thought it was just the same lag frames every time, so I was just gunna record those.
As far as I can tell, carryover lag = IASA frames disabled, i.e. the full landing animation cannot be canceled in any way. Possibly all of Ganondorf's different landings have the exact same number of IASA frames! My sense of timing is not precise enough, though, so I leave that to you to discover with your FRAME TECHNOLOGIES.
But regardless of whether the carryover lag adds the same number of frames total to every landing, I'd still interested in the frame totals. (Of course, it'd be really interesting if there are the exact same number of IASA frames on all of Ganon's carryover-prone landings. Could make sense for the game to be programmed this way, too.)

/RtEB
[size=-2]I can scarcely dare dream of the day we figure out how to cancel the carryover state without having to suffer its lag. Though if I'm any judge, that day will be less than a week before we figure out how to do lagless shorthopped f-airs on-stage. SADNESS![/size]

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Bump it up for some frame data! Anyone wants me to do anything else, let me know.

First, I realize I h'ain't thanked you (Swoops) for this thread, as helpful and cool stuff has come of it. Therefore: thanks!
A++, would read threads by Swoops again.

As far as I can tell, carryover lag = IASA frames disabled, i.e. the full landing animation cannot be canceled in any way. Possibly all of Ganondorf's different landings have the exact same number of IASA frames! My sense of timing is not precise enough, though, so I leave that to you to discover with your FRAME TECHNOLOGIES.
But regardless of whether the carryover lag adds the same number of frames total to every landing, I'd still interested in the frame totals. (Of course, it'd be really interesting if there are the exact same number of IASA frames on all of Ganon's carryover-prone landings. Could make sense for the game to be programmed this way, too.)
No problem, effin, glad to help out.

Sorry to say it, but the carryover is the least amount of lag you can have. I'll try to test if totals are different though

Smash Hero
Man, I've been looking how to get frame data for a while. Now I don't have to!

But yeah, not much suprising stuff, just that dtilt is faster than I thought. Also, did you test ftilt with C-stick on attack? If you use ftilt, I think the regular version gives you a few walking frames, and A-sticking doesn't. (which is why Jekyll has it on A-stick, I believe... So he can reliably ftilt after Murder Choke)

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Yea, I noticed the first few walking frames and made sure to measure from the start of the move. D-Tilt has the least lag out of his standards, which surprised me, probably due to the iasa. It's really annoying though how is jab has slightly more lag than a couple of his aerials.

I honestly don't like A-stick, tried to get used to it, but nope :p.

Smash Hero
Maybe we should start using dtilt rather than jabs.. I mean, why not? It has more range, reaches crouching characters, it only comes out 2.5 frames slower, it has less lag and more damage. Theoretically, every time you can use jab, you could be using dtilt..

I've tried A-sticking for one match, then went back to C-sticking. Stutter stepped fsmash beat Choke -> ftilt, in my opinion.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Maybe we should start using dtilt rather than jabs.. I mean, why not? It has more range, reaches crouching characters, it only comes out 2.5 frames slower, it has less lag and more damage. Theoretically, every time you can use jab, you could be using dtilt..

I've tried A-sticking for one match, then went back to C-sticking. Stutter stepped fsmash beat Choke -> ftilt, in my opinion.
Definitely been considering using D-Tilt in place of Jab, but I still love the trajectory too much for higher percents. But d-tilt should definitely be used in place of jab for a lot of cases.

Stutter step fsmash and foxtrot>pivot fsmash beat choke>ftilt. Honestly I don't use choke>ftilt much. DA hits all the characters f-tilt does (plus more) and kills earlier, and jab covers getting them off the side. I think olimar is probably the best one to use it against.

Shadow Nataku

Smash Ace
Interesting thing I noticed recently but there are certain characters which can't be followed up after the Choke as we know like Ganny himself, Lucario and Falco. But I notice it actually is possible to follow up with a Murder Quake (SH'd v+B), so I'm wondering just exactly how fast does that move come out? I'm not sure whether its the move being fast or an advantage of having its hitbox being the ground itself like DK's v+B.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Interesting thing I noticed recently but there are certain characters which can't be followed up after the Choke as we know like Ganny himself, Lucario and Falco. But I notice it actually is possible to follow up with a Murder Quake (SH'd v+B), so I'm wondering just exactly how fast does that move come out? I'm not sure whether its the move being fast or an advantage of having its hitbox being the ground itself like DK's v+B.
I'll probably test the quake out to see its speed, but I don't think it'll change much. It may be a ground hitbox, but the difference between quake and DK's vB is, well in short...DK's doesn't suck. I should test Lucario/Ganon/Falco's get-up animations just to see why they don't get hit by certain things, and if they can actually get hit by quake. It probably doesn't matter at this point, but I would like to know. I just have to get a new charger, because my computer is dead and the charger is broken, so no new frame data until I get that :(.

The thing with Gerudo>Quake is it's just really hard to buffer.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I heard teh Quake comes out frame 1. At least Shin's guide says so.

EDIT: you beat me to it FD.

But yeah, that's how you follow up against Falco from a choke I guess. =P

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Although I do have a question, in your second video when you did FJ nairs into dairs, is there a certain timing to not land with lag? You do it but I can't to think of how.
Usually you just do it right out of your double jump and it's fine. But you can fast fall during some point during it and you still won't get lag. Just get used to timing it in practice and stuff.

Not too big of an edit. I added a short little thing about the reliability of the hits meter and combos in the combos section, which I'm going to test. I also posted some stuff at the end of the frame data and future testing plans as soon as I get a charger tomorrow.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
God, making me double post to bump this thing up :p. This...is mostly depressing data, lol.

I'm sorry but it has to be shared. Quake is more horrible than I thought, definitely not Ganon's fastest move. And stomp stun is crap, so nothing is guaranteed out of it except jab, f-tilt, and d-tilt at 0%....nothing else.

theEffinBear

Smash Apprentice
Wooo frame data! Mostly depressing, sure, but we knew that beforehand ;)

But the carryover lag is just a blanket "+16 frames of lag on every affected landing"? Now I'm VERY curious if the last 16 frames of every landing animation (for every character) are interruptible, or if every character has a single "IASA window" that applies to all of their aerial landings... though this hypothesis doesn't completely make sense for the shorthop landings.

Anyway! Awesome stuff!
/RtEB

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Wooo frame data! Mostly depressing, sure, but we knew that beforehand ;)

But the carryover lag is just a blanket "+16 frames of lag on every affected landing"? Now I'm VERY curious if the last 16 frames of every landing animation (for every character) are interruptible, or if every character has a single "IASA window" that applies to all of their aerial landings... though this hypothesis doesn't completely make sense for the shorthop landings.

Anyway! Awesome stuff!
/RtEB
Wait...lol I'm sorry but i honestly didn't get what you were saying there effin. Which data are you talking about, just the RCO lag, or landing vulnerability?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Lol, air dodge IASA frames are ridiculous. What's more important is knowing when ppl can ATTACK out of stun.

Like seriously though, you look at training mode and D-air -> U-smash or other aerials at like 10% is a combo.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Lol, air dodge IASA frames are ridiculous. What's more important is knowing when ppl can ATTACK out of stun.

Like seriously though, you look at training mode and D-air -> U-smash or other aerials at like 10% is a combo.
They can attack on the same frame that they can air dodge. The reason it seems faster is because it IS faster, but only on start-up, the stun is no difference. Air dodge comes out on frame one, aerials take start up time. So pretty much, if the opponent is over 0%, if the attack they use is under 22 frames, you get hit out of upsmash (well its probably got to be less than 21.)

I know for a fact that DK can get a free u-air if you attempt the combo, as well as a free n-air I think. Same wih countless other characters you can get drills (fox, jiggz.) Just know that if you play a solid player who at least knows Ganon a little bit, this is risky to use.

Training mode is a lie, but I think stomp>u-air/n-air is still pretty reliable.

theEffinBear

Smash Apprentice
Wait...lol I'm sorry but i honestly didn't get what you were saying there effin. Which data are you talking about, just the RCO lag, or landing vulnerability?
Sorry for being unclear. What I mean is: the regular landing lag for the u-air is 24 frames, and the RCO lag that you've found is 16 frames, so RCO u-air landing lag = 24+16=40 frames total, yes? (And the same for the n-air and the b-air, according to your frame data.)

Extending this to the f-air with 34 frames of landing lag, the RCO f-air landing lag = 34+16=50 frames total. And the d-air has 36 frames of landing lag, so the RCO d-air landing lag = 36+16=52 frames total.

Is this all correct?

The rest of my post was some rampant speculationon the underlying mechanics of IASA frames on landing lag and if there is some automatic process behind it, which can safely be ignored for our purposes here.

/RtEB
[size=-2]*muttermutter* over a quarter second extra landing lag for using any recovery move *muttermutter*.[/size]

Top Bottom