• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Guide] Pit is Left-Handed and Right-Footed [Work in Progress]

NxC

Smash Apprentice
Hello.

In a few words, this guide is all the animation aspects of Pit that actually have a use. Most of these concern how Pit moves or performs his attacks, and the benefits of the timing of attacks. If you don't know the basics of Pit, this isn't a place to start- this is fine tuning at best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Table of Contents

Chapter 1 : Pit is Right-Footed
1a) Information
1b) Applications
Chapter 2 : Pit is Left-Handed
2a) Information
2b) Applications
Chapter 3 : The Wings
3a) Information
3b) Applications

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter One : Pit is Right-Footed

What is right-footedness?

In addition to having a hand that one is naturally better at writing with, everyone has a leg that they are slightly more adept at using. A fairly good way to check what foot you are is to sit down in a chair, and then get up and walk. Whatever foot you begin with walk with is your dominant foot.

1a) Information
  • Pit always begins running with his right leg. This is to say he propels himself forward with his right leg, followed by his left taking the first 'step'.
  • His right foot, when it makes contact with the ground, produces a lower-pitched noise, whereas his left foot makes a higher pitched noise.
  • The above facts are true for any movement speed-walking, slow walking, or running.
1b) Applications

1) Up Smash

When performing a running up-smash, (sometimes called a H-smash), you may have noticed that Pit seems to slide a random distance. This sliding can encompass the attack itself or the charging of the up-smash. Sometimes Pit slides nowhere, where other times he can slide around 2.5 custom stage 'blocks'.

Upon investigation the sliding distance is far from random and is directly related to which foot Pit has on the ground.

If the up-smash is performed right after Pit's right foot makes contact with the ground (indicated by a lower 'foot' sound), you will maximize your sliding distance. As the frames go by further from that key moment right after his foot makes contact with the ground, the slide's distance shortens and shortens until his left foot makes contact with the ground. If the u-smash is used then, Pit does not slide at all, and will remain stationary for the duration of the attack.

Using this information, if you perform the up-smash as soon as the initial dash animation finishes, you will not slide, since Pit will be on his left foot. If you let him continue to run into his next pace, you will be able to consistently perform the maximum slide distance of Pit's H-Smash

Chapter Two: Pit is Left-Handed

Though the style Pit holds his blades changes from using various moves, standing still, and other animations, the damage, knock back and range of moves that do not have a set blade style does not change if the bow is separated or together.

However, you can use the bow for a more obvious indicator of Pit's footing while running to make full use of your h-smash.

Information
  • Since Pit is left-handed, he holds the top piece of the bow in his right hand (or the whole thing when it is connected)
  • When running, the right arm is pumped forward when Pit is taking a step with his left foot, and backwards when he is taking a step with his right foot.
  • The left arm does the opposite- it is forward when the right leg is taking a step, and back when the left is taking a step.
  • When the bow is connected, use the right arm information.
  • Concerning non-state forcing attack animations, The range does not change because these attacks are performed with Pit's right arm. Since this holds the blade that is outward, it does not matter if the blade is connected because the same part of the blade will connect. The opposite end is always recoiled against Pit's body, so if it does produce any hitboxes they aren't any different in position when the blades are connected.
  • If careful attention is payed to Pit's other hand, it does not change whether or not a blade is there- the animation is recycled. For this reason, I'm pretty sure the blade is a separate 'object' from the Pit model itself.
Applications

The more you know.

Chapter Three: The Wings

You can use the visual information of how Pit's wings are positioned while in the air to learn a bit about your recovery options.

Information
  • After a glide is completed, and until the next jump, Pit's wings will be bend towards his body.
  • The same animation is displayed after you have used your third aerial jump.
  • If in WoI state, and touching the ground, the game rapidly alternates Pit between the state of "on the ground" and "not on the ground".
Applications

• If you're careless and can't keep track of your remaining jumps, I guess.
  • As for WoI, the trees in the stage Onett will "trap you" if you try to fly off of them with a SH'd WoI, due to the bouncing effect the branches have.

Hopefully this won't end up being as useless as it appears right now, though the footing seems to have tremendous use. Chapters two and three are just things that I've also been interested in.

arm

Smash Apprentice
O_o
Im left handed and right footed! ZOMFG!

Great idea TC, this will help new Pits hopefully, and as for me, I knew all of this, except which foot effects the usmash, however I did suspect it to be right.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
hehe :) I should have went to training to see what foot it is, I kept thinking left because it was going to fast, didn't notice the sound difference, but I noticed the foot-difference for his h-smash.

I can normally time it perfectly for the distance (or near it) but never knew exactly which foot ;) thanks for the info.

Can't wait to see the left-handed section completed ^_^

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Are you sure he isnt Right handed? He holds the Bow, when attached, in his Right hand. Link, on the other hand, his sword is on his left hand.

NxC

Smash Apprentice
Are you sure he isnt Right handed? He holds the Bow, when attached, in his Right hand. Link, on the other hand, his sword is on his left hand.
You pull arrows back on bows with your dominant hand, since that's where the strength is needed. Pit is an archer before he is a swordsman.

NxC

Smash Apprentice
Update: completed the section "Pit is Left-Handed". It turns out the blade styles (separated or together) has no effect on attacks.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
It's looking much better now. I always thought it would be nice to know how Pit does his attacks, or how he moves, to learn more about him and all.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Seriously...

These boards focus way too much on the little things and "advanced" tactics. Get down to the basics plx.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
oh.... dear god.... the pit boards hit a new low in focusing on ridiculously useless tactics for their charcter.... some sort of award needs to be handed out for this.

pit is all about gimmicks... and that's not how ANY character should be..... especially when his gimicks are so...... blah. why don't you make threads about how to get around his most detrimental faults with spacing... hmmm?

NxC

Smash Apprentice
To all this "useless" chatter, the original idea behind this thread was to show how to maximize the distance on the H-Smash and demonstrate a few game mechanics. That's IT. I never said this was breakthrough material. Christ. Yes, I know the Pit boards don't seem to focus on basics as a whole. I KNOW the basics, which is why I had time to figure this **** out.

Grow the hell up. If you don't think this information is useful, then shut up and let the thread "die" if that's the fate you feel it deserves.

I **** you not, this kind of treatment is exactly why I've been avoiding these forums as of late. You can go ahead and attack the Pit boards over a single thread that I made WEEKS AGO, or you can try to contribute to fixing this "problem".

pit is all about gimmicks... and that's not how ANY character should be..... especially when his gimicks are so...... blah. why don't you make threads about how to get around his most detrimental faults with spacing... hmmm?
Pit isn't all about gimmicks despite what the SBR has to say. Any non-scrub knows that. Why don't I make threads about how to get around spacing? Because that isn't what this thread is about? What kind of answer do you want? As I mentioned before, this thread was originally about maximizing the potential distance on Pit's H-smash, which IIRC was valuable information to just about every other character in the game. Are you holding some kind of prejudice against Pit, thinking we can only work on "gimmicks" or "super-basics"? That attitude makes me sick.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
As do I. So what if I loves my arrow Rain. If it helps me, I use it. Same goes for other tech that I find useful.

Top Bottom