• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff Counters Meta Knight: A Guide

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Disclaimer: The title of this topic is not true. Also, all the pictures were obviously stolen from the dojo.

How To Fight Meta Knight as Jigglypuff

This is Meta Knight. He is a completely broken character who is impossible to beat because he can win with only two moves. In fact, everyone has quit Brawl because he is so broken. In tournaments, no one plays as anyone except Meta Knight. If you play as someone besides Meta Knight, they will kick you out since serious players play only Meta Knight.

I read all these things on the Internet and therefore they are all completely true.

Mach Tornado

This is Meta Knight's Neutral B move. It is impossible to counter, avoid, escape, or punish, assuming of course that you are an idiot.

You are playing as Jigglypuff. You are in the air. (If you aren't in the air, all the time, you really are doing it wrong and need to play a different character or locate your nearest jump button.) Meta Knight's tornado is not a good move in the air; if Metaknight tries to neutral-B high in the air, you will avoid it (because you are playing as Jigglypuff) and you will punish your opponent for playing such a terrible Meta Knight.

So, tornadoes come at you from the ground instead of the sky, just like real life. Now, because Brawl is such a poorly designed game, there is a weakness to the tornado: The top of it has no priority. Since you are already in the air (because you are playing as Jigglypuff), you have a large number of options:

-Pound. Preferribly a falling pound into the top of the tornado. That would be very clever. It would also be stupid, because unless he runs into it, he will just laugh and suck you into it out of the long endling lag of Pound. Don't do this.
-Bair. Bair can occasionally work against the tornado. The keyword here is "occasionally. Don't do this either.
-Dair. Dair is an extremely reliable way to stop the tornado if you are directly above. Do this.
-Nair. Nair is amazing. Just dive in with a nair. Unless you do it from above you shouldn't hit Meta Knight, just stop to tornado. Try not to land in front of him or let him Shuttle Loop you.

Now... If you get caught in the tornado, Smash DI to the very top and Rest.

This is pretty much the best thing ever. If rest is not an option, get by with a dair.

Drill Rush

This is a decent, annoying move Meta Knight is fond of using against people shielding. As in, on the ground. So not you. (Because you are playing as Jigglypuff.) You would have no trouble avoiding it, and punishing after it is done is not too difficult.

Also, this:

I CAN HAZ PRIORITY?

Shuttle Loop

This move will kill you. Don't get hit. If Meta Knight is on the edge, don't attack him. It won't work.

After Meta Knight's Up-B, and sometimes just for kicks and giggles, Meta Knight will do this. This is the image of fear. The beast will do an instantly canceled glide attack with excellent KO power. If you try to shield it, he will grab you; if you try to dodge it, he will attack first. The obvious course of action is to quit Brawl because it is so broken.

Alternatively, you could just dair and laugh at the silly predictable Meta Knight. (Just like Fox and Falco!)

Dimensional Cape

If for some reason Meta Knight does this, you have a great chance to savor the large and long-lasting hitbox of Pound.

Ground Moves

-Meta Knight has a really fast repeating jab. Really fast repeating jabs are fun to Smash DI into and Rest. You will have to do it really fast if they have a brain though.

-Meta Knight has a good forward-tilt combo. Luckily, you should not be on the ground in front of Meta Knight. (Because you are playing as Jigglypuff.)
-Some Meta Knights are obsessed with doing down-tilts to move across the ground slowly. Against Jigglypuff, this is just inviting a free aerial.
-Meta Knight's up-tilt is good. It is fast and can kill you. Don't get hit.

-Meta Knights down-smash is really fast and will kill you. Feel free to bait it to get a dair or falling pound in, but be really careful.
-Meta Knight's forward and up-smashes are decent. Don't jump into them.

-Meta Knight has a respectable dash attack and a good grab game. His d-throw and u-throw do great damage, and his u-throw can KO at high percents.
-On stages with platforms, especially Battlefield, Kirby and Meta Knight's u-throw will launch from the highest platform above you, KOing at a lower percent.
-Don 't get grabbed.

Air Moves

Meta Knight's aerials are good. They are fast, have great range/priority, and are hard to punish. This is most of the matchup, right here. The key to understanding this fight is realizing that you have the aerials mobility to avoid Meta Knight's fairs and bairs, and space yourself to get a bair (or KOing fair) in of your own. It's difficult, but Jigglypuff is one of the few characters that is going to have a legit chance agianst Meta Knight in the air.

If Meta Knight is spamming nairs, any aerials should do with proper spacing. Do be careful to avoid them though.

Meta Knight's dair comes out really fast. Meta Knight is often easy to hit with a uair, but you need to do it while moving sideways out of the way of the dair. The uair isn't too bad, assuming you don't jump into it and let Meta Knight carry you to the ceiling.

How to Kill Meta Knight

DRILLREST
DRILLREST
DRILLREST
DRILLREST
DRILLREST
DRILLREST
DRILLREST
DRILLREST
DRILLREST
DRILLREST

Counter-picking Halberd against Meta Knight might not be a bad idea actually. Hmmm... I might go check some KO percentages later.

Conclusion

As you can see, it is impossible to fight Meta Knight. There are no recorded instances of anyone defeating Meta Knight with any character ever, much less Jigglypuff, who is the worst character in the game and has no redeeming qualities or viable options in any situation. Everyone should quit playing Brawl right now.

PROTIP: If anyone says "soft-ban" in this topic, I will Falcon Punch them. With Jigglypuff.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Are we kidding? Meta Knight is IMPOSSIBLE. Not really.
Stop touching the ground. The ground is acid, lava, and cancer. The ground's only purpose is to give you jumps back (which ledges do better) and allow you to punish with grabs and dash attacks. The ground killed your father and ***** your mother. Stop touching the ground.

You still get an A for drill rests though.

But does Mach Tornado>Rest actually work?
Yes. Jigglypuff counters Meta Knight.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Someone needs to make a guide to beating Luigi. People talk about banning Meta Knight, what about the man in green? Seriously, why does Jiggs have to be so awful against such a terrible character? He just laughs at your spacing and spams 40% worth of aerials, and kills you at like 40 with up-B every time you make a mistake.

*Rock Smashes Luigi*

Olimar is not that bad once you get precise at fighting him. Jiggs is an easy person to gimp with too.

Amide

Smash Lord
Wait, did someone say Olimar isn't that hard? Sorry, but that's wrong. But thanks again for the guide. I learned a lot from it.

Glick

Smash Lord
I eat meta knights with jigglypuff. Just ask anybody on AiB. I pick jigglypuff against metaknights, instead of kirby, which is what I'm supposed to do. I beat a lot of famous metaknights with jigglypuff. Its just spacing and drill resting at 65.

Nair doesn't cancel tornado in my experience and I haven't been able to rest while in the tornado.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Would like to add that if you get caught in his drill then DI in TOWARDS meta, you will go right through him and probably only suffer like 2% and can punish his after lag.

Ulevo

Smash Master
This topic is made of win.

Oh, by the way. If he ever uses Drill Rush, Smash DI into it and pop out the other side for a free short hop Rest, FSmash, or a chance to scare the crap out of him with Roll Out.

Edit: I seee Steel already covered that.... I was just testing you. You passed with flying colors!

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
This title is so true. Jigglypuff really counters Meta Knight! The only way that Meta Knight can beat Jigglypuff is by attacking her and avoiding her attacks! That is only one way people! So that means that he does not have any choice but to fight what will make him predictable because you now know that he will fight. Use that in your advantage!

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Jeez I come here to find something against Jiggs and I see Thinkaman posting about an anti-MK thread.

You and your stupid Jiggs, I hate it! ***** my Snake into gimpyness ;_;
How To Fight Meta Knight Snake as Jigglypuff

BAIR.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
using rollout on a good mk is useless they can use mach the second it hits canceling it out completly, a lot of this stuff will only work on nub mks or those inexperianced against puff but wutev

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I never said rollout was effective, unless you do it when they are starting a side-B...

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Jiggs Matchup Notes, for later use by me:

8:2
Bowser (Pretty easy, not sure if he is 8:2 worthy though)
ICs (Y HELO THAR NANA K BAI)

7:3
Link (Easy to gimp)
Ganondorf (Easy to gimp)
Captain Falcon (Easy to gimp...)

6:4
Mario (Gimpable)
Yoshi (Fair out of double jump = win button)
Shiek (Meh, not too scary.)
Samus (Easy to juggle.)
Pit (Somewhat easy to gimp, air game non-threatening)
Ivysaur (Easy to gimp, easy to get pulverized; be careful)
Ike (Wonderful weight/fall speed for Jiggs. Try not to get hit.)
Lucas (Don't walk into a u-smash and it's reasonably easy. His uair and nair are decent though.)
Snake (...wait, wut?)
Sonic (It's pretty easy to trade hits with him any time you want, which will result in Jiggs winning the match.)

5:5
Peach (Meh.)
DK (He's like a Bowser that can bair you in the face)
Diddy (Annoying in the air, but Jiggs has less issues than most with his crazy ground game)
Zelda (Spacing around smashes and aerials all day...)
Zamus (Side-B, down-b, and uair are bothersome, but that's about it...)
ROB (Lives forever; Just don't jump into a nair.)
Kirby (Meh. Know his aerials.)
Meta Knight (Wait, am I serious?)
Falco (It's all about gimping his recovery. To Jiggs he's like a worse Fox with lasers.)
Wolf (Meh.)
Charizard (Don't get hit and it's easy.)
Jigglypuff (...)
Ness (Annoying fair, killer bair and uair. Easy to gimp.)

4:6
Wario (Lives forever, annoying aerial game, f-smash from the devil)
Toon Link (Most annoying aerials ever, recovery hard to gimp.)
DeDeDe (Stupid bair, mildly annoying projectiles that help your stale moves list manipulation.)
Olimar (Not that bad honestly, once you learn the spacing and approach angles.)
Fox (U-smash... uair...)
Pikachu (Annoying fight, almost impossible to gimp.)
Squirtle (WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN)
Lucario (Annoying aerials, hard to kill, Rest a must)
Marth (Stupid aerial range. Random u-smashes seem to kill me too, plus up-B...)

3:7
Luigi (Nair priority, Up-B out of everything)
Game & Watch (Bair, dair, killer smashes.)

2:8
Mewtwo (******* u-throw and down-b. ******** bair and nair. **** Mewtwo.)

TheStig

Smash Lord
i don't really rely on matchup guides. for me, matchups depend on your skill, your opponent's skill, and experience. unless you play against a g&w then you will lose.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
No. I have no idea why I bothered posting at all, since I have no idea how to play this character. I should be turning to people who do well in tournaments with Jigglypuff like yourself for advice instead of making topics like this.

EDIT: Hay guys, so I was playing teams against a Sonic, and he did his d-smash which I avoided by staying just outside his range, only I immediately used Sing so he fell asleep in the middle of it and slid across the entire stage over to my teammate for any easy charged smash.

It was super duper.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
How To Fight Meta Knight Snake R.O.B. as Jigglypuff

This is a robot.

FIRING MAH LAZER

Dodge this.

FIRING MAH TOPZ

Dodge this.

FIRING MAH MELEE PEACH DOWN-SMAZH

Dodge this.

How to Kill R.O.B.

The key to fighting R.O.B. is chasing him down and baiting a down-smash whiff so you can start aerials. You can do aerial chains on R.O.B. for a long time, until the knockback becomes enough that he can nair you. Try to predict this so you can start anew at the end of the nair.

I pretty much always kills ROB horizontally (with a fair), like Snake. You might be able to catch him in a drill Rest out of a ground dodge...?

Jigglypuff is also almost the only character who can edgeguard R.O.B. successfully. Smart R.O.B. players would recovery higher than usual against Jiggs for this reason, but this only increases Jigg's damage potential.

Conclusion:

Overall, R.O.B. has Samus-like physics. That is awesome.

MSTK

Smash Cadet
I agree with the matchup guide; if any character in Brawl is broken, it's Mewtwo. Tournaments around here have a soft ban on him.

Frogsterking

Smash Journeyman
This whole topic is both hilarious and helpful, good job Thinkaman. I don't use Jiggly yet but hoping to second/main him. Thinkaman, you should make a full guide for Jigglypuff you'd do a great job.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
This whole topic is both hilarious and helpful, good job Thinkaman. I don't use Jiggly yet but hoping to second/main him. Thinkaman, you should make a full guide for Jigglypuff you'd do a great job.
I did make an entire guide for Jigglypuff. I'm gonna edit it for the information I learned here, but you should check it out:
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32197/t1199897-illinialex-presents-an-approved-jigglypuff-guide/

I did post it here but for someone reason it got messed up.

Teh Future

Smash Master
"How to Kill R.O.B.

You might be able to catch him in a drill Rest out of a ground dodge...?"

R.O.B. is insanely hard to drill rest because his middle is like | that thin, which makes it extremly hard to get the hitbox on him.

Oh, and stop suggesting drill rest on anyone, it's a horrible combo that is completely unreliable and pretty much garentees your death if your opponent is paying any amount of attention.

Top Bottom