• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My QBB Crew Battle Performance (AKA, Vyse's ~lame~ Vids - Crtiques?)

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
This is pretty much the same thread I made out in the General Video discussion, though, I don't think anybody is interested, so I decided to make a thread for my vids here. I mostly want some critique on the Vs. ROB vids, since the others are ones I've posted before.

Anywho, please watch and critique and flame >.<

September 27th 2008 - Queensland Brawl Buddies Crew Battle

If you just want to watch my matches, they can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bqvyqVk0qU&feature=PlayList&p=D089B26F2F566636&index=2

The crew battle is split up into 4 sections, and mine are all in this section.

Alternatively, you can watch the whole crew battle in the form of a play list if you're interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1r8fpDLS1E&feature=PlayList&p=D089B26F2F566636&index=0&playnext=1
It's worth it, purely for the ending.

August 30th 2008 STD

Vyse Vs. DiCE (Otherwise known as K-0S)

Vyse(Diddy) Vs. DiCE(Mario) R1

Vyse(Diddy) Vs. DiCE(Mario) R2

These are my latest matches against probably one of the best ROB's in my state. I make a lot of dumb mistakes, and the two biggest problems I have are getting shield grabbed and getting hit by the spin top.

Vyse(Diddy) Vs. Accelerate(R.O.B) R1
(I don't do too bad here, silly mistakes really cost me - This is the one I didn't add before btw)

Accelerate(R.O.B) Vs. Vyse(Diddy) R2
(Same here, though, that SD at the start didn't help either)

Accelerate(R.O.B) Vs. Vyse(Diddy) R3
(JD 2 stock ftw)

---

July 19th 2008, smash at Azure Rune's place.

Vyse(Diddy) Vs. Rune(PT)
(This is how you 3-stock a Pokemon Trainer lololol. Bear in mind, he doesn't claim to main PT, I uploaded this match to prove a point about how a lot of Diddy's don't put a lot of thought into the way they play sometimes)

---

July 2nd 2008, smash at my place.

Vyse(Diddy) Vs. Dr1ve(Wolf)

Vyse(Diddy) Vs. Dr1ve(Wolf) R2

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
You had some great spacing at the end of the ROB game. You need to glidetoss down backwards sometimes, so you dont get in he range. And I think you should grab more, to rack up some damage. And its one more thing they have to worry about. You should spotdodge the gyros so they are still on the stage. I noticed a few times that the gyro would go away after you shielded it because it wasn't charged that much.

And you won the first match against ROB.....
Obligatory lol at you Australian accents >__>

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
And you won the first match against ROB.....
I just realised that =_=

Thanks for pointing that out. That was actually the last match in the set.
But yeah, I need to learn how to work around the gyro, it's what really messed me up.

I plan to post some more videos soon. It's just hard because I have a very low cap and can't really afford to upload much.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
I notice you catch bananas with Nair a lot. It's useful to catch with an aerial if you're hitting your opponent, but if you aren't I'd suggest z-catching (it's really rather easy, just press z when the banana is right next to Diddy's hand).

You seem to have trouble with your opponents' projectiles. ROB's top and laser hit you here and there, and Wolf's blaster, although you dodged it a lot, seemed to reduce your approach to rolling mostly (which gets predictable).

Try powershielding Wolf's blaster and just continuing to run forward. You can mix it up, but powershielding helps you run through a lot of projectile spam. ROB's top should be shielded or spotdodged: shielding makes it no longer on the stage as a weapon of his, but he can shoot a new one at you, and spotdodging it is useful if it's going to go far behind you, in which case you're not allowing ROB to use his top. The laser can get annoying, just don't roll backwards to dodge it, try shielding, jumping or spotdodging.

Your biggest issue seemed to be against ROB in momentum swings; you'd get a big lead then fall behind because you were having trouble approaching him when he was center stage. Try some new approaches like crawling, sh banana throw, shff nothing (mindgame the banana throw), glide tossing bananas up or down (mindgaming the forward toss), forward b, or anything else you can think of. The more ways you try to get at your opponent, the less they will be prepared to defend against it.

Sometimes you would string together very similar combos over and over. Not that it didn't work, but this can get read. I'd suggest some more glide toss to tilts or throws (I see that dash attack A LOT).

Enough with the critiquing, here's what I think you're doing right:

You're comboing pretty well, you know how to follow where your opponent goes (specifically after a dash attack), and you know how to set up for more combos and stage control with the bananas / peanuts. You had good spacing when you weren't using the bananas, and it was even better when you had some bananas out. You are good at going for the KO, as you seemed to save your Fsmash and Dsmash for the most part.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I notice you catch bananas with Nair a lot. It's useful to catch with an aerial if you're hitting your opponent, but if you aren't I'd suggest z-catching (it's really rather easy, just press z when the banana is right next to Diddy's hand).
Yeah, those matches where I was catching the banana with the Nair were from about a month and a half ago. I've since grown out of that habit, though you don't really see me Z catching in these two matches since there are no Platforms. I've got three more matches to upload on smashville, yoshi's island (Brawl) and Battlefield where I z-grab the bananas a ton.

You seem to have trouble with your opponents' projectiles. ROB's top and laser hit you here and there, and Wolf's blaster, although you dodged it a lot, seemed to reduce your approach to rolling mostly (which gets predictable).

Try powershielding Wolf's blaster and just continuing to run forward. You can mix it up, but powershielding helps you run through a lot of projectile spam. ROB's top should be shielded or spotdodged: shielding makes it no longer on the stage as a weapon of his, but he can shoot a new one at you, and spotdodging it is useful if it's going to go far behind you, in which case you're not allowing ROB to use his top. The laser can get annoying, just don't roll backwards to dodge it, try shielding, jumping or spotdodging.
Yeah, I tend to get wrecked by good projectile play, it just ruins my momentum. =_=
It's something I really need to figure out how to deal with.

Your biggest issue seemed to be against ROB in momentum swings; you'd get a big lead then fall behind because you were having trouble approaching him when he was center stage. Try some new approaches like crawling, sh banana throw, shff nothing (mindgame the banana throw), glide tossing bananas up or down (mindgaming the forward toss), forward b, or anything else you can think of. The more ways you try to get at your opponent, the less they will be prepared to defend against it.
Yeah, the momentum of the matches shifted back and forth a lot =_=
I'll keep your advice in mind for next time.

Sometimes you would string together very similar combos over and over. Not that it didn't work, but this can get read. I'd suggest some more glide toss to tilts or throws (I see that dash attack A LOT).
Mmm, more 2 hit combo's I guess. Banana > D-tilt (Thumbs combo lolz) and Banana > Throw? Okay.

Enough with the critiquing, here's what I think you're doing right:

You're comboing pretty well, you know how to follow where your opponent goes (specifically after a dash attack), and you know how to set up for more combos and stage control with the bananas / peanuts. You had good spacing when you weren't using the bananas, and it was even better when you had some bananas out. You are good at going for the KO, as you seemed to save your Fsmash and Dsmash for the most part.
Thanks >.<
And thanks for taking the time to critique me too.

saberhof

Smash Master
lol in one of the videos, it acttually slows up where you screw up!! xD haha

hilarious...

dont worry i will edit this with critique :D...that was just to funny..

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
I have two minor but specific gripes:

• In your set against ROB, rolling emerged far and away as your most dominant mode for repositioning. This is incredibly hampering to your ground movement - since you realistically only have two directions to roll in - and effectively diminishes your options, especially if you have a banana in hand. Also, although Diddy's forward and backward rolls have decent speed and distance, the cool-down time in-between rolls still allot for enough time for your opponent to close in on you with a dash attack or aerial approach.

Basically, repositioning by constantly rolling is too linear and can become quickly punishable if savvy ROB or Meta Knight users will always try to bait. There's only one thing Diddy players plan on doing whenever they're frantically rolling back and forth on the stage armed with a banana, and that's to glide-toss; and frankly, the most deceptive of mind-games can't mask these basic intentions. It seems like a simple and obvious alternative, but running and even walking will at least free you up to indefinitely adjust your spacing or maybe even do a retreat banana throw while jumping without the limitations of a roll.

• This overlaps with my last suggestion, but you really ought to consider taking to the air a great deal more, especially when dealing with projectile-based characters. This is the crippling deterrent to Diddy mains who have grown too fond of remaining glued to the ground due to over-attachment to the glide toss, and you'll be surprised how effective this strategy is against other characters, as well. By this point, it should be obvious that I value simple approaches and strategies, but people are really thrown in a pickle when you spend half the match glide-tossing and suddenly start, um, jumping forward and throwing your bananas.

Think of it like Link's projectile game - great Link players will always pressure with bounced boomerangs, a bomb throw at the peak of their jump, and a lag-canceled arrow shot upon landing. The object here is not necessarily to hit your opponent with every single thing you throw at them, but to corner them at one side of the stage with two or three differently-arced objects. It's one thing to be annoyed by a linear laser shot from Wolf's Blaster, but it's a whole different ballgame when you're chipping away at your opponent's health or shield with a projectile pressure game that they can't immediately avoid due to being harassed by multiple objects moving at varied trajectories. Glide-tossing should definitely not be the only way you throw bananas.

I'll spare you the rest of the fundamentals dissertation since you obviously have generally decent instincts when it comes to Diddy. You really need to tell your buddy Rune to start deploying a shine game, though (although I recognize these videos are old and that he may already have incorporated it into his game).

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
I find it easier to shield and jump grab banana's against his diddy over shining the whole match. But i play his diddy very diffrently now anyhow.

On a side note... Vyse, that's your brother in those vids. Please do me the couretsy of changing the names already. thanx.
Whoops, my mistake. I remember Vyse mentioned it was his brother, but the gamer tag threw me off. Also, I just meant that whoever that Wolf was ought to use the shine for interruption purposes as opposed to actually reflecting bananas (although that's a plus). The shine can interrupt Diddy's cartwheel and U-smash, as well as any number of aerial and glide-toss approaches.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
*40x Face Palms*
My bad Rune =_=

Yeah, the oldest vids there are against my brother, Not Mr Rune.
Mr Rune has since established his Wolf as being the nightmare of all anti-campers in my state, although, I don't have any vids of his Wolf uploaded : /
(Due to a lack of bandwidth, which I'm fixing soon).

And thanks Le_THien. I read your post twice, and I'll take your criticisms to heart.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
On another side note (never was one for p.s) diddy can shield to jump grab his own banana's that are chucked at him can't he? Probably doesn't matter much but it could add to his stage play.
I already do this.
:)

I hope other Diddy's do too.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
HMD's profile said:
About HMD

Biography
im a kid who lots of people lauagh at at brawl tourneys

Smash Character
Falco

Interests
chilli dogs
Dude, HMD is my hero.

And like, about the Chili Dogs, I TOTALLY agree. Whenever I walk past a hot dog place, I just get this urge for chili dogs. I've always liked hot food like that.

Seriously, you rock :)

HMD

Smash Journeyman
thanks vyse and im not a stupid child i just misunderstood what the thread was about

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I uploaded the first match of the set against ACCELERATE, finally.
I'll upload two matches I have against a Mario tommorow.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I uploaded the first match of the set against ACCELERATE, finally.
I'll upload two matches I have against a Mario tommorow.
im actually interested to see a diddy vs mario vid. its such a confusing matchup for me, even without bananas

Count

Smash Champion
Mario used to be awful for me, but lately I've been glide tossing up>grab a lot when he is spamming his cape. It has been quite effective. Granted, I'm likely not facing the quality of mario players that you face since the majority of my experience is online.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
watched some of the ROB. the only two things i can see that has to be worked on is going for kill moves earlier, and better aim of your follow ups after your dash attacks. Some follow ups just whiffed and missed him, while hw as living to really high % every stock. You rarely used fsmash, so a fresh glide toss into fsmash will probably take him out in the 110-120 range

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
watched some of the ROB. the only two things i can see that has to be worked on is going for kill moves earlier, and better aim of your follow ups after your dash attacks. Some follow ups just whiffed and missed him, while hw as living to really high % every stock. You rarely used fsmash, so a fresh glide toss into fsmash will probably take him out in the 110-120 range
Indeed. I'm really not aggressive enough =_=

Those Mario vids are up ^_^

pastaboy

Smash Champion
solid, is it just me or am i the only one to find mario somewhat of a challange(nothing too hard of course) just things like a short hoped dair out prioritizes your dash attack. and the cape is annoying but it still is somewhat easy to deal with seeing how if ur spaced right u can catch the banana again if he reflects it.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
solid, is it just me or am i the only one to find mario somewhat of a challange(nothing too hard of course) just things like a short hoped dair out prioritizes your dash attack. and the cape is annoying but it still is somewhat easy to deal with seeing how if ur spaced right u can catch the banana again if he reflects it.
Mario's Cape isn't too terrible - there's a small period of cool-down where you can actually chunk a banana at him and not suffer the consequences of having it reflected back at you since the Cape doesn't linger like Falco's reflector. It's very punishable after baiting.

And sorry, Vyse, I only made it through about three minutes of the first match before I quit watching. I've never, ever seen a good Mario (either played by my roommate who occasionally messes with him, in tournament, or anywhere around the boards) because they all seem like they play the same: campy and defensive. It pains me to see that retreating Fireballs is a dominant universal tactic, and your opponent wasn't even abusing some of Mario's truly great moves (U-tilt, double U-airs). Looked like to me he would just Fireball his way into D-smashes, and videos like that really grate on me. It looks like you dealt with it the best to your ability, but I'd honestly just drop bananas at that point and just get in his face, seeing that Diddy has a better ground game.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I updated the first post with the crew battle I participated in at my tournament, Queensland Brawl Buddies, on the 27th of September.

September 27th 2008 - Queensland Brawl Buddies Crew Battle

If you just want to watch my matches, they can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bqvyqVk0qU&feature=PlayList&p=D089B26F2F566636&index=2

The crew battle is split up into 4 sections, and mine are all in this section.

Alternatively, you can watch the whole crew battle in the form of a play list if you're interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1r8fpDLS1E&feature=PlayList&p=D089B26F2F566636&index=0&playnext=1
It's worth it, purely for the ending.

Also:

Here is the results thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5260128#post5260128

And here is the Video thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5462278#post5462278

In case you were interested.

Oh, and if you're going to watch the whole thing. I have only one thing to say.
I WANNA TAKE YOU TO A GAY BAR

Top Bottom