• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to perform Egg Toss jumps with tap jump ON! (New method discovered!)

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I've noticed that a lot of people have had trouble with this, in some cases forcing them to alter their game (and make other ATs more difficult in the process) by turning tap jump off. This, of course, is so they can perform Yoshi's Egg Toss BEFORE using his second jump when returning to the stage.

Well, I'm here to tell you that this is something you don't need to worry about. You CAN perform the Egg Toss before using his second jump with tap jump on, and you can do so WITHOUT altering your game significantly or putting yourself at an increased risk.

How, you might ask? Well, there are actually a number of methods.

The first is the most reliable, and takes the least practice.

Directional influence Egg Toss

Because it is a natural (and intelligent) instinct to DI down and toward the stage when receiving an attack that knocks you away, you're already doing half of what you need to in order to get back.

At the END of your DI - and this also works with double-stick DIs, dodge DIs, and action DIs - immediately roll the analog stick upward. Because you are still reeling (or otherwise reacting) from the attack, the game will NOT register a jump, but WILL recognize that you are pointing the stick upward. Now, you can return to the stage exactly as you would with tap jump off. Your DI isn't effected, because your reaction to the attack continues just a TINY bit after your knockback ends.

Action/dodge Egg Toss

This is a tiny bit less practical extension of the previous method (though still incredibly helpful). If you're performing an action you can't immediately jump out of in the air (such as an air dodge), you can instantly roll the stick upward and Egg Toss jump out of it. This is helpful to know against chasers, in case you need to dodge or fight back BEFORE you make your return to the stage.

Held-stick Egg Toss

This is an extension of the DI Egg Toss. When using tap jump, the jump is only registered the MOMENT up is pressed. If the "up" input is already being overridden by something (as shown before), it will not be registered as a second jump. So, in this case, if you're on the ground and you press and HOLD up on the analog stick, you will perform your single first jump. From that single jump, you can then perform Egg Toss jumps with Up B. Should a second jump be required, release and re-press up on the analog stick (or smply press a jump button). This is obviously not practical for recovery, BUT it can be vital for spacing.

Perfect-timing Egg Toss

This is the least practical of the three only because it carries a significant risk. Simply put, if you time the up B just right - generally B is depressed a couple of frames (not seconds) before up is - you can do the Egg Toss before the jump is registered.

The main concern with the Perfect-timing Egg Toss is that if you do this incorrectly, the Egg Toss will almost always cancel the second jump just as it starts, meaning you do an Egg Toss without getting the benefit of the second jump. As such, practice and timing are critical for this.

*NEW!*Aerial Tilt Egg Toss

I actually just had a brainstorm when thinking of better ways to attempt the "Perfect timing" method. Essentially, I broke down the timing of the motion and arrived at the conclusion that there IS a slightly safer way to pull it off... safer, that is, if you have good analog control.

This new method carries a similar risk to the Perfect-timing method, though is a little more fail-safe. The Aerial Tilt Egg Toss jump is just that - performing a tilt in the air in order to perform the Egg Toss. What I discovered through some experimentation that with tap jump on, you can actually press up without a jump being registered.

To perform the Aerial Tilt Egg Toss, simply TILT (do NOT press) the analog stick upward and press the B button during your jump. Like performing an up-tilt attack on the ground without jumping, you barely need to move the stick - one 16th of the way up is plenty - to perform the attack. This should prove to be useful as an all-purpose method, and could very well replace the Perfect-timing method both in terms of versatility and risk. (In this case, messing up really only consists of pressing the stick too hard, giving you the second jump instead of a potentially dangerous Egg Toss.)

So, what is it, exactly, that's going on with all of these?

The key to doing Egg Toss jumps effectively with analog jump on is to "distract" the game when you press up on the analog stick, so that it doesn't think you're trying to jump.

In all of the cases, the idea is to override the second jump with something that takes precedence (such as attack stun or dodge frames). The reason this is very practical is because there are basically no cases in which you can't perform one of these methods. For recovery purposes, the DI roll is the safest bet. For recovering against a chaser, the Action/Dodge is important to remember. For spacing, held-stick can be vital. And for situations when a sudden Egg Toss jump might be required, the Perfect-timing and the new Aerial Tilt methods can be very helpful.

I hope that this will serve you all well, especially those that love Yoshi but can't play without tap jump on. I can try to make a video of the various methods, though I only have a digital camera, and not a screen capturing device. I'd love to hear more input and questions regarding this, and I hope this will help Yoshi's game for everyone.

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, i used to do what i suppose is the third method there, but its a pain and i don't find its worth it to not keep tap jump off

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Hey, didn't I already post this in that other thread? I see how it is -_-...

.Marik

is a social misfit
I never knew about this whole "taking tap jump off" thing, I just jump, double jump, and then press up B with lots of momentum propelling me in the direction I want to go. It's not that hard.

peeup

Smash Lord
By making other techniques more difficult, were you referrng to the DR? If so, its entirely possible without tap jump. True, it's harder, but it's not too hard to be ignored. Beside's, I'd rather mess up a DR than mess up a recovery. Its all a matter of preference.

I never knew about this whole "taking tap jump off" thing, I just jump, double jump, and then press up B with lots of momentum propelling me in the direction I want to go. It's not that hard.
Well, its safer (when recovering) to use your egg toss to give you the boost rather than use your second jump. It'd sure be a drag if you get footstooled after you use your second jump, huh.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
@ Marik: It's often better to throw eggs first, THEN use your double jump once you get to the edge so that you can DJAD past the would-be edgeguarder.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I must have missed that topic, E.G.G.M.A.N; I'm sorry! I hope I wasn't stepping on your toes or anything. :(

By making other techniques more difficult, were you referrng to the DR? If so, its entirely possible without tap jump. True, it's harder, but it's not too hard to be ignored. Beside's, I'd rather mess up a DR than mess up a recovery. Its all a matter of preference.
Most certainly. Unless you're attempting the Perfect-timing Egg Toss, though (and I rarely find reason to do so), I would say that the risk of messing up is minimal, since all three of the other methods are very easy to pick up.

DR is indeed one of the ATs I was referring to, as well as the running reverse up smash - mentioned in another topic recently - and similar techniques. It's not to say that either are absolutely out of the question (though I believe you have to change your control scheme for a running reverse up smash); just easier with tap jump.

Don't get me wrong. It's not to say that you absolutely NEED to use Egg Toss before using the second jump, or that you should always recover that way. Oftentimes (especially if you're sent farther up than out and footstooling isn't a concern), the second jump is plenty. It's just always better to have more options available to you.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Well, its safer (when recovering) to use your egg toss to give you the boost rather than use your second jump. It'd sure be a drag if you get footstooled after you use your second jump, huh.

Son of a b-.. That always happens to me. Is that when you jump, and then someone intercepts that jump, (I'm talking about the double jump) and then your vulnerable, and can't do anything whatsoever? Man, I hate when that happens. >_< Probably why this technique is better at times.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
Son of a b-.. That always happens to me. Is that when you jump, and then someone intercepts that jump, (I'm talking about the double jump) and then your vulnerable, and can't do anything whatsoever? Man, I hate when that happens. >_< Probably why this technique is better at times.
its when they gimp you by hopping onto your head, you fall.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I'm very happy to help in any way I can. I'm just glad I was able to do something for the growth of arguably the most underrated character in the game.

Edit: And I just discovered a new way to do it! Hooray! First post updated, hehe.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
I must have missed that topic, E.G.G.M.A.N; I'm sorry! I hope I wasn't stepping on your toes or anything. :(

Most certainly. Unless you're attempting the Perfect-timing Egg Toss, though (and I rarely find reason to do so), I would say that the risk of messing up is minimal, since all three of the other methods are very easy to pick up.

DR is indeed one of the ATs I was referring to, as well as the running reverse up smash - mentioned in another topic recently - and similar techniques. It's not to say that either are absolutely out of the question (though I believe you have to change your control scheme for a running reverse up smash); just easier with tap jump.

Don't get me wrong. It's not to say that you absolutely NEED to use Egg Toss before using the second jump, or that you should always recover that way. Oftentimes (especially if you're sent farther up than out and footstooling isn't a concern), the second jump is plenty. It's just always better to have more options available to you.
Nah I was just kidding. I just thought it was funny that when I said it everyone was like "NO! WERE NOT TURNING IT ON AND THAT'S FINAL!!!" And then when you posted it it was like: "Wow, cool". Haha I get no respect =P

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
Heh, if it makes you feel any better, i played with it on before, and am refusing to even consider it now XD

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Heh, that's awesome, EGGMAN. Man, this new Aerial Tilt method might very well be the be-all end-all method, come to think of it. I'm not even that good with tilting on the fly, and it's very easy to do for me. Best of all, you can change the Aerial Tilt method direction into the Action/Dodge method. Overall, it's actually very safe overall.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Yeah, for the most part Yoshi players have already made the adjustment to playing without Tap Jump. Still, it's nice to have the option available now.

Top Bottom