• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Jigglypuff Matchup Thread (Week 3: ROB, and come on guys contribute)

Amide

Smash Lord
Characters covered so far: King DeDeDe, Luigi

Luigi, Disadvantage:

This didn't get any discussion... AT ALL. So, you can still add to this if you can.
This match up is annoying because it completely changes the way you will play Jiggs, because you and Luigi have the same pros. A good Luigi will be extremely difficult to gimp, and Luigi’s size makes him also hard to rest. (But, just so you know, it kills Luigi in the mid 60’s.) Unfortunately, since he’s hard to gimp, and hard to rest, you’re going to have to get creative. Sometimes Final Destination is a good stage, or another stage without many Platforms, because it might give you an opportunity to punish a missed Fire Jump Punch with Rollout or Rest, but this will rarely happen. KOs will usually be from fair, so use bair to rack damage.
For approach, Luigi will probably start spamming Fireballs, what you probably didn’t know is that Pound out prioritizes this, so take advantage of this! When Luigi is on the ground, and you want to mess him up, (because most Puff players are always in the air) dtilts and grabs can work well.
Overall, use bair to rack up, fair to kill, and punish missed Fire Jump Punches. If they hit you… They can kill at 30%. If possible though, drillrest.

King DeDeDe, Disadvantage:

King DeDeDe: One of the hardest things to watch for in this match up is his incredible range. If you start an attack from above, expect to experience the broken range of his utilt. Approaching directly horizontally isn’t a good idea either because of his mostly superior aerial game and other ground based attacks. If you do want to air combo him however, don’t attack from his behind. His bair is freaking insane. Also, don’t go for more than one hit, because you will be punished.
OK, now let’s go over what you SHOULD do. Baiting an ftilit by appearing to for a bair will make it possible to punish some lag. Also, another great way to bait besides jumping toward your opponent is mixing in some empty short hops. Keeps your opponent guessing. If DDD attacks your shield, make sure you can shield grab appropriately, remember to jab once or twice if you can. As we mentioned earlier, his bair is too good. If he jumps towards you facing backwards, don’t jump into it. This might be an opportunity for a sliding upsmash.
If you get him off stage, throw in some fairs (save these for offsttage if possible), or, if the fairs are stale, pull a string of bairs, then hop back onto the stage and wait. If he attempts to grab the ledge, grab it first (duh), however, if the King says “wow that pink dude is open” and trys to Up B on top of you: “Jump up towards his falling ***. Air dodge through the hotboxes and rest.” Also keep in mind tough, rest kills DDD at 93%. That sounds awful, but if you’re going for a drill rest, and all hits of Dair connect, the combo will kill at about 80%. Not that low for a kill on DDD.
Also, why you should rarely use rollout, if a DDD is charging a FSmash and it’s not even close to you, charge rollout and laugh in his face. (A good opponent won’t do this though)
DDD can't chaingrab Puff, but still, DO NOT GET GRABBED. They're powerful.
In closing, play smart, know your limits, and DO NOT FALL FOR HIS UTLIT.

Yes, there is already a thread that shows which characters have advantages and disadvantages against Jigglypuff, but this is for STRATEGIES against certain characters, because that's what most people would find most helpful.

Basically, to contribute, give your strategy against the given character, and hopefully we can get some discussion going. Also, be sure to include if you think the match up is...

Large Advantage, Advantage, Small Advantage, Neutral, Small Disadvantage, Disadvantage, Large Disadvantage.

Ok, let's get started shall we? This week's character is ROB.

You probably didn't know this... But ROB is top tier. But this match is actually winnable.
Discussion starts on the end of page five.

Amide

Smash Lord
Oh my god. This discussion is amazing. Drillrest: OMG I'll keep that in mind.

Glick

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who does the epic recovery exploitation? A good D3 will up-b to a ledge because he knows that his armor runs out when he starts to descend. But since hes facing a stupid little pink ball he may do it onto the ground hoping to catch you. If he does that theres only one thing to do. Jump up towards his falling ***. Air dodge through the hotboxes and rest. Works every time. And works even if he cancels the drop. HUGE lag.

My grab, roll to rest works on him. I've seen D3's start to charge something when I do that and his dsmash doesn't hit you when your inside him.

WATCH OUT FOR HEADBUTTS. HOLY **** WATCH FOR THAT.

Drill rest ect. not a hard matchup. just out smart that fat piece of crap.

Amide

Smash Lord
Great advice Glick! One of my hardest match ups just became a whole lot easier.

DJ Kat

Smash Apprentice
...Everytime I see a DeDeDe cancel the UpB and try to grab onto the ledge, I just safetly grab onto it. :\

tEhrXXz0r

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Glick: King Dedede isn't that terrible of a match-up for Jiggs.

I think the moves that you need to watch out for and avoid the most are Dedede's bair and utilt. These are his attacks that can kill and come out surprisingly fast, so don't get hit by these (obviously, don't get hit by the more powerful and laggy moves as well). His utilt will probably be used when you try to approach him as he's camping, so make sure when you approach, you watch out for that and have good spacing. Try not to be on a platform: your opponent will just spam utilts under the platform. Obviously, if King Dedede has his back facing you and he's in the air, he's going to bair... Avoid this.

When he's off-stage, it is pretty easy to string a couple of bairs. You beat King Dedede off-stage, as long as you watch your spacing. Try not to be directly ABOVE or BELOW Dedede in the air: his uair and dair are all multi-hit and the last hitbox of the move has decent knockback (similar to G&W's broken bair).

As for approaching, mix it up. You can air dodge through Dedede's WaddleDees pretty easily as you're approaching, then land behind him and grab him. You can poke with bairs, as long as you don't get hit by his ftilt, which was incredible range. Something you can do is try to bait a whiffed ftilt by approaching as if you're about to bair, but instead you air dodge his ftilt and land behind him for a grab or Dair to Rest or something. Don't get predictable with approaches. Throw in some empty SH's to keep him guessing.

His chain grabs don't work on you, but that doesn't mean you don't need to avoid them. You still need to avoid getting grabbed... If you do get grabbed, he'll more than likely dthrow if you're not at the high-percentages where his bthrow can't kill. When you get dthrowed, be aware that King Dedede has options after a dthrow. He can either tech-chase you for another dthrow, tech-chase with ftilt or fsmash if you decide to roll towards him for the tech, or he can dash attack if you decide to roll away from him.

D3 is a HUGE target for Rest. Use that to your advantage. I don't know if I need to say this, but PLEASE KNOW YOUR REST K.O. PERCENTAGES. I would hate to see you Resting D3 when he's at 70% with him surviving the Rest, then fsmashing you during your lag.

Tyser

Smash Champion
Vs. Dedede I just wait for the big fella to attack my shield so that I can shield grab or aerial him out of shield. Aerial combat seems worthless against him because his Bair is friggin insane.

Glick

Smash Lord
well he cant hit you with bair from the front. if he jumps backwards just try to catch him with a sliding up smash.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
haha, good luck getting accurate info and distinguishing it from the tons of bull**** posted.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
How exactly do you all plan on getting inside D3? His range is 23849023 better than yours, I don't see it happening very easily. He can also kill you extremely early while you can't kill him till VERY late. Jiggs just doesn't have a reliable way to rack up damage on dedede.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
a campy d3 is pretty much an auto-win against a jiggly, just out range and spam waddle des and everything else gets sheild grabbed, probably one of the worst matchups for jiggz

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Can't you help Bowyer? You'd probably have the best info.
He doesn't need to. A Jiggs player should be able to see that this is basically an 80:20 match in Dedede's favor.

Seriously, look at Dedede's tools... then look at Jiggs' tools. Hmmmm.

Glick

Smash Lord
Are you kidding me? D3 is not one of jiggz worst matchups. At all. Waddle Dee spam is not that godlike, and its not hard to dodge. If hes waiting for you to get near him so he can utilt you try pound. because pound breaks through utilt. no bowyer there wasn't bull**** posted.

Amide

Smash Lord
Glick, can you answer this question? Is Jigglypuff at a...

Large Advantage
Advantage
Small Advantage
Neutral
Small Disadvantage
Disadvantage
Large Disadvantage

I'll need this when I archive this.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
When did I even mention waddle dee's?

His range will keep you away, Jiggs has no sure way of getting inside him.

Pound? Are you really suggesting pound as an approach? That's easily shield grabbed, specially by Dedede. +20 percent or whatever it is if he back throws, you're that closer to getting up tilted at an early percent.

Also: How is Snake only a slight disadvantage? MK too. Snake can COMPLETELY shut down your aerial approach with just his knee. Not to mention he also will kill you very early.

Amide

Smash Lord
Guys, I'm about to do the writeup for DDD. Please, if you have time give some more tips.

Teh Future

Smash Master
I'd also agree with small disadvantage. DDD has a great Bair that destroys Jiggs ariels, and you guys have already mentioned uptilt. Other than that though, once you get DDD off the stage, he is in a very bad place. You absolutely have to get a fair, or bair chian off. It doesn't have to be enough to kill him, just to make sure he uses, his upB. If he cancels it, you have a ton of options, if he doesn't, charge Rollout in the air, and BAM, he's right back off the stage with another 15-20%. Repeat until dead.

The only problem would be if you couldn't WoP him, but he is not that manuverable in the air, so it shouldn't be as hard as other characters.

"Also: How is Snake only a slight disadvantage? MK too. Snake can COMPLETELY shut down your aerial approach with just his knee. Not to mention he also will kill you very early."

For one, no, his overtilt is not that broken. The reasoning behind this is that snakes recovery is not very good at all, and Jiggs can seriously WoP three stocks pretty easily from snake.

As for MK I'd put it at large disadvantage. Seriously, his fair shuts out anything you try to do.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
It is true he is weak off the stage and Jiggs should be able to capitalize on it, however how do you plan on getting him there in the first place?

Teh Future

Smash Master
By your logic snake would have three stocks and 0% at the end of every matchup vs jiggs. Just because ou have a slight advantage on the stage doesn't make it so that your so good that you'll never get hit, or pushed off the stage.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
It's more than a slight advantage, but you are correct in that we are human and humans make errors. Though when we are talking about two top-level players with equal skill this is usually what will happen. That's how you discuss match ups.

"For one, no, his overtilt is not that broken. The reasoning behind this is that snakes recovery is not very good at all, and Jiggs can seriously WoP three stocks pretty easily from snake."

Yes, it is. If it can shut down Marth's aerial approaches I'm sure it will do the same to Jiggs' who has less range. Your best shot in this match is to do all you can to get past his tilts, once you do that get him in the air and don't let him back down. Now that I look at it again it is probably 65:35 or 70:30 Snake.

"As for MK I'd put it at large disadvantage. Seriously, his fair shuts out anything you try to do."

This is definitely a large disadvantage, yes. However didn't you just say Dedede can't shut you out the whole match with range? Fact is he can, both of them. Jiggs really doesn't have a reliable way around it.

Glick

Smash Lord
When did I even mention waddle dee's?

His range will keep you away, Jiggs has no sure way of getting inside him.

Pound? Are you really suggesting pound as an approach? That's easily shield grabbed, specially by Dedede. +20 percent or whatever it is if he back throws, you're that closer to getting up tilted at an early percent.

Also: How is Snake only a slight disadvantage? MK too. Snake can COMPLETELY shut down your aerial approach with just his knee. Not to mention he also will kill you very early.
Do you even play jigglypuff?

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I know how to play her and probably better than most of your jiggs', however I gave up on her awhile ago.. along with Brawl. Just trying to help you guys out by making sure you aren't over hyping your own character.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
I know how to play her and probably better than most of your jiggs', however I gave up on her awhile ago.. along with Brawl. Just trying to help you guys out by making sure you aren't over hyping your own character.
You probably are better than most of the people on these boards, but not me :)

... Jiggs sucks!

Glick

Smash Lord
I'd like to see your videos, if you have any. Not like a contest I'm just curious to your style of play.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
This thread is hilarious.

Glick is the only person on this board who has any idea what he is talking about.

Amide

Smash Lord
I'm putting down King DDD as a disadvantage, but to whoever said King DDD does good against puff because of WADDLE DEES, it was hard to take you seriously after that. I mean come on! Jigglypuff can dodge those so easily.

Edit: Tell me if this is a good writeup for DDD.

King DeDeDe: One of the hardest things to watch for in this match up is his incredible range. If you start an attack from above, expect to experience the broken range of his utilt. Approaching directly horizontally isn’t a good idea either because of his mostly superior aerial game and other ground based attacks. If you do want to air combo him however, don’t attack from his behind. His bair is freaking insane. Also, don’t go for more than one hit, because you will be punished.
OK, now let’s go over what you SHOULD do. Baiting an ftilit by appearing to for a bair will make it possible to punish some lag. Also, another great way to bait besides jumping toward your opponent is mixing in some empty short hops. Keeps your opponent guessing. If DDD attacks your shield, make sure you can shield grab appropriately, remember to jab once or twice if you can. As we mentioned earlier, his bair is too good. If he jumps towards you facing backwards, don’t jump into it. This might be an opportunity for a sliding upsmash.
If you get him off stage, throw in some fairs (save these for offsttage if possible), or, if the fairs are stale, pull a string of bairs, then hop back onto the stage and wait. If he attempts to grab the ledge, grab it first (duh), however, if the King says “wow that pink dude is open” and trys to Up B on top of you: “Jump up towards his falling ***. Air dodge through the hotboxes and rest.” Also keep in mind tough, rest kills DDD at 93%. That sounds awful, but if you’re going for a drill rest, and all hits of Dair connect, the combo will kill at about 80%. Not that low for a kill on DDD.
Also, why you should rarely use rollout, if a DDD is charging a FSmash and it’s not even close to you, charge rollout and laugh in his face. (A good opponent won’t do this though)
DDD can't chaingrab Puff, but still, DO NOT GET GRABBED. They're powerful.
In closing, play smart, know your limits, and DO NOT FALL FOR HIS UTLIT.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
It is important to realize just how critical the fair is in this matchup. Bairs are hard to chain due to his fall speed, while it's pretty easy to link a pair of fairs and get him off the stage. This is incredibly important, since Dedede of the stage doesn't have the leisure to sit there and camp the air with bairs... this is the only time you are free to go to town on him and build damage.

Stale moves is huge for jigglypuff, but in this matchup it probably matters more than any other. You can't save your fair, but you need it fresh. The solution is to bait waddle dee spam and bair/nair/dair them. (I mainly bair) I'm not just being clever here, this actually matters. Just... don't get killed at a low percent by a Gordo. (They are generally pretty easy to avoid as jiggs.)

One more thing: a false mentality among lots of characters against dedede is "He can't chaingrab me, I don't care if I get grabbed!" ...have you seen how much damage his other throws do? Don't get grabbed.

Amide

Smash Lord
OK, I added in some points, and I'll edit it to the original post.

New Character Discussion...

Luigi!

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Luigi eats Jigglypuff for breakfast.

But seriously, after playing some, it isn't as bad as I thought. It's like a 6:4 sort of thing in Luigi's favor, not nearly as bad as G&W.

Top Bottom