• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FINAL SMASH '08, A Brawl/Melee Tourney! Pittsburgh, PA Dec 27th,28th!

M@v

Subarashii!

thanks to pockyD for the suggestion of "final" instead of "last".

Questions? Post or Pm me or Colaya. We are the Directors of this tourney. Your welcome to give me a call also 412-855-1473

We are finally ready to officially announce Final Smash '08, so named because It will take place on the last weekend of the year, Dec.27 and Dec.28th, 2008! This will be a 2 DAY Brawl AND Melee tournament!

General Updates and News
-We would appreciate it if you can say if your are coming, and what days, via pm or post. We want to have a general idea on how many are showing up.

There will be free beverages! Food is unconfirmed, but definitely free beverages!

There will be a $5 entrance fee to get into the tournament. All money in the pots will not be touched, and 100%of the pots will go back out in winnings. Percent distribution of the pots will be decided close to tourney time.
If there is left over money, it will either be redistributed evenly, or used to buy food and drinks for everyone.

-We need as many setups as possible! Gamecubes, wiis, and Tvs!
As of now, we have 4 guaranteed TVS(probably more), 5(possibly 7) Brawl setups and 10 Complete melee setups(counting gamecubes and wiis) , and We definitely need more. We are Working on it, but help from you guys would be much appreciated. Please post if you are bringing any of the three, and what you are bringing.

-Want to Help? Any help setting up; reffing IS appreciated!

- Expect to arrive at the tourney both days around 10:00-11:00A.M an exact time will be posted closer to tourney time.

-Everything here is subject to change!

Clarence Fugh Memorial Hall
27 Crescent Ave.
Etna, PA

http://www.etnavfd.org/fugh.html
We will use rectangle tables, rather than the round ones on the webpage.
And YES, we CAN use the projector.

Some landmark Cues:

Its within walking distance of the Blarney Stone.(People from around Pittsburgh should know about that, it sadly closed permanently due to the etna flooding a few years back)

Theres a field next to the venue. You cant miss it. The parking lot of the venue rubs against the field. So its literally right next to it.

On the side of the field opposite of the venue is a Chevrolet dealer.(Jack Sullivan Chevrolet)

There is a 7 eleven within walking distance of the venue too if people get the munchies and want snacks during the tourney.

Asformentioned, this will be a 2 day melee/brawl tourney.

MELEE WILL BE SATURDAY
BRAWL WILL BE SUNDAY

-Brawl and melee friendlies will happen on both days

MELEE AND BRAWL TOURNEYS ARE BOTH DOUBLE ELIMINATION TOURNIES

-For those who just read smashboards and don't post:
Dont worry about letting us know if you are coming. The only thing we are doing with the attendee list is just trying to get a GENERAL idea. If any of you can bring setups, MUCH appreciated.

ATTENDEES
This list includes attendees from allisbrawl also.
M@v
Colaya
Tex
Camalange
Pensfan728(+1?)
skipper
ShadoFiend
Phoenix Dark
nojoes+3(another car +4?)
D20
takieddine
Tbagz
mycathatesyou
Darkwashu
Demon Parasite
Exhalent
Solid Kirby
Clear
Xzax
Bowz
Crews+2
RHCPfan1
Thereverend814
GWjumpman
Impp
CABC
Lawz
ReadySetGo
ithrowthings+4

POSSIBLE ATTENDEES
Truth
Renth
Anonymous
Sadaharu Inui
_umbra_
menardi(+3?)
tyberg29
KimahriReyn
Protoman10
4%APR
Boxob

SETUPS

TVS
Venue-1 projector
M@v-2 for sure,probably more
Colaya-3, maybe more
Menardi-1?
Impp-1
CABC-1

Wiis
M@v-1
Colaya-1
Tbagz-1(maybe 2)
Darkwashu-1
Phoenix Dark-1
Tex-1?
CABC-1?

Gamecubes
M@v-1
Colaya-1
Pensfan728-1
Exhalent-1
Phoenix Dark-1?
Impp-1
CABC-1

BRAWL RULES AND REGULATIONS

Sunday, December 28th,2008
This ruleset is SBR Certified.

Brawl Singles: $10

Brawl Doubles: $20 per team

Brawl Low tiers: $5
Brawl Low tiers based off of the sbr tier list seen below.
Low
Lucas
Ness
Mario
Pokémon Trainer
Samus
Yoshi
Sonic
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf
Link
Captain Falcon

General Rules

-Any kind of controller accepted. 3rd Party controllers must be inspected 1st.

-3 stock

-7 minute time limit

- no items, items set to off and none.

-ledge stalling/extreme ledge camping is BANNED. You must touch the ground at least once every 10 seconds from the point of which you grab the ledge. This includes stalling on the ledge, waiting for your opoonent, just so you can attack him, while having an unfair advantage being invincible on the ledge.

- All matches= best of 3, except Finals, that is best of 5.

-If its even an issue, Control ports will be decided by a flip of a coin.

-If time expires in a match, NO SUDDEN DEATH. Whoever has the most stocks wins. If the same number of stocks, lowest percent wins. If the same percent exists, play a 1 stock match to decide the winner.

-Metaknight infinite cape is BANNED

-If bowser bowsercides and the match ends with it and goes into sudden death, bowser wins

- You must bring your own controllers, any controller type accepted. 3rd party Controllers must be inspected before use.

-stalling is banned. Overswarm-"Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling."

-If the game freezes or is accidentially reset. Replay the match to the nearest possible accuracy, or one both players can agree on. If someone resets the game intentionally to avoid losing, he is automatically disqualified.

Game procedure
-1st match, both players decide their character mentally. Then, they pick their characters at the same time with a 3-2-1 countdown. Each player picks 1 stage to ban for the whole series. then the stage picked is a neutral random.

-2nd match, 1st, the loser announces the stage from either neutrals or CP stages. Then, Winner of the first match chooses his character 1st and cannot change it. The loser then picks his character. The announced stage is picked and played.

-3rd match if necessary, Same thing as the 2nd match, except the winner of the 2nd match picks his character 1st, etc. The Loser cannot pick a stage he has already won on.

STAGES

Neutrals

Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshis island
Smashville

Counterpicks
Delfino Plaza
Lylat Cruise
Halberd
Castle Siege
Corneria
Brinstar
Luigis Mansion
Frigate Orpheon
Norfair
Rainbow Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Pirate Ship

All other Stages are BANNED

Extra Team rules:

-Team attack ON

-Life stealing OK

If a player is called for a match and does not respond in 10 minutes without notification, its a forfeit.

MELEE RULES AND REGULATIONS

Saturday, Dec.27th,2008

Melee singles-$10
Melee Doubles-$20 per team
Melee low tiers-$5

Melee low/bottom tier:
Low
Link 4.7
Pikachu 4.3
Young Link 4.2
Roy 3.6
Zelda 3.0
Game and Watch 3.0

Bottom
Ness 2.5
Yoshi 2.5
Bowser 2.2
Mewtwo 1.8
Kirby 1.5
Pichu 1.2

General Rules
This ruleset is SBR certified

-4stock

-8 minute time limit

-If its even an issue, Control ports will be decided by a flip of a coin.

-If time expires in a match, NO SUDDEN DEATH. Whoever has the most stocks wins. If the same number of stocks, lowest percent wins. If the same percent exists, play a 1 stock match to decide the winner.

- items off

- All matches= best of 3, except Finals, that is best of 5.

- Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned

- Wobbling is banned

- Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned

- Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD)

-Stalling is banned

-If the game freezes or is accidentially reset. Replay the match to the nearest possible accuracy, or one both players can agree on. If someone resets the game intentionally to avoid losing, he is automatically disqualified.

Game procedure
-1st match, both players decide their character mentally. Then, they pick their characters at the same time with a 3-2-1 countdown. Each player picks 1 stage to ban. then the stage picked is a neutral random.

-2nd match, 1st, the loser announces the stage from either neutrals or CP stages. Then, Winner of the first match chooses his character 1st and cannot change it. The loser then picks his character. The announced stage is picked and played.

-3rd match if necessary, Same thing as the 2nd match, except the winner of the 2nd match picks his character 1st, etc. The Loser cannot pick a stage he has already won on.

STAGES

Neutrals
Fountain of Dreams
Dream Land(64)
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks
pokemon stadium
Kongo Jungle(64)
Rainbow cruise
Jungle Japes
Mute City
Poke Floats
Corneria
Princess Peach's Castle
Brinstar

All other stages are banned.

Extra Team rules:

-Team attack ON

-Life stealing OK

If a player is called for a match and does not respond in 10 minutes without notification, its a forfeit.

ALL OF THE ABOVE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

Lets make 2008 go out with style! Lets make this one BIG.

Questions? Post or Pm me or Colaya. We are the Directors of this tourney. Your welcome to give me a call also 412-855-1473

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I must go...

M@v

Subarashii!
Venue change! The other venue option we had offered a better price! The new location is in the thread.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Question, is one day for Brawl and the other Melee, or is it just two days straight of Brawl and Melee?

M@v

Subarashii!
Free Friendlies for both will happen both days, but Melee tourneys are on saturday, and brawl tourneys are on sunday

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Cool, I might be able to go. It's about 6 hours away and I have no wheels but I should be able to get a ride..

•Col•

Smash Champion
Hey everyone, I'm gonna be one of the directors there... =P

Question, is one day for Brawl and the other Melee, or is it just two days straight of Brawl and Melee?
The first day is for Melee, and the second day is for Brawl, however, I'm sure there are people that would be willing to do some friendlies or money matches or w/e for the either game on either day.

EDIT:Ah, beaten to the punch... xD

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Well maybe you can get this question ;)
What time does it start on each day? I couldn't find it.

M@v

Subarashii!
Almost forgot to mention. If you have any questions, pm me or Colaya. We are the Directors of this tournament.

M@v

Subarashii!
For those who just read smashboards and don't post:
Dont worry about letting us know if you are coming. The only thing we are doing with the attendee list is just trying to get a GENERAL idea. If any of you can bring setups, MUCH appreciated.

nojoes

Smash Ace
i would recommend getting rid of low tiers for brawl because the tier list is still unstable and it's unlikely that many people will want to participate. Also it's uniform at most tournaments for teams to be 20 bucks per team so most smashers would probably prefer that and lastly I dont think people will be too happy with taking straight from the pot, nowadays it's best to just charge a 5 dollar one time door fee. The reason being is that contestants then can say to themselves "Ok, 20 people entered at 10 dollars a person and it's 70 percent of the pot for first so i can get $140." And will be content with the fact that they know as a fact they are not getting swindled out of pot money without doing meticulous calculations.

depending if any of those things are actually changed, i'll be sure to come with at least a car full possibly 2 cars.

EDIT: also regarding the door fee, depending how much the venue costs and who the TO is most good TO's will put the remaining cash from the door fee into the pot, obtain good rep, and in turn receive a larger turn out for future tournaments, just a few suggestions.

•Col•

Smash Champion
i would recommend getting rid of low tiers for brawl because the tier list is still unstable and it's unlikely that many people will want to participate. Also it's uniform at most tournaments for teams to be 20 bucks per team so most smashers would probably prefer that and lastly I dont think people will be too happy with taking straight from the pot, nowadays it's best to just charge a 5 dollar one time door fee. The reason being is that contestants then can say to themselves "Ok, 20 people entered at 10 dollars a person and it's 70 percent of the pot for first so i can get $140." And will be content with the fact that they know as a fact they are not getting swindled out of pot money without doing meticulous calculations.

depending if any of those things are actually changed, i'll be sure to come with at least a car full possibly 2 cars.

EDIT: also regarding the door fee, depending how much the venue costs and who the TO is most good TO's will put the remaining cash from the door fee into the pot, obtain good rep, and in turn receive a larger turn out for future tournaments, just a few suggestions.
Oh wow, cool man... 2 full cars? Hmm, perhaps we CAN get a good turnout for this event... o-o

And as for the door fee, I don't think that's necessary... I think that'd just be annoying for some people... If someone wants to do all that math, then ok... xD I don't think we're going to be trying to rip people off or anything anyway...

And who cares about the tier list's current state? The low tier tourneys are mostly just for fun anyway.... But we'll consider cancelling it though...

and mario8498, we'll add you as soon as M@V gets on sometime... =P

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
So, since there's a different fee for low tier characters, does that mean in a set, I can't change my character? Like if I lose a match in a set and decide "Oh, since I lost with ___, I'm going to use Luigi!" But seeing as he's mid tier, I couldn't do that right? Or is there just no option of secondaries?

M@v

Subarashii!
So, since there's a different fee for low tier characters, does that mean in a set, I can't change my character? Like if I lose a match in a set and decide "Oh, since I lost with ___, I'm going to use Luigi!" But seeing as he's mid tier, I couldn't do that right? Or is there just no option of secondaries?
you can change, but only to another low tier.

Dude when your unsure of a CP, just say screw it, pick CF, and go for the falcon punch xD

M@v

Subarashii!
I want some input. Would you guys prefer 20% of the pots(or less, pending turnout) to pay the venue, or a $5 door fee to pay the venue, and the pots are 100% of whats put in? Ive had requests for both. Either way is fine with me.

*whoops double post*

M@v

Subarashii!

There will be a $5 entrance fee to get into the tournament. All money in the pots will not be touched, and 100%of the pots will go back out in winnings. Percent distribution of the pots will be decided close to tourney time.
If there is left over money, it will either be redistributed evenly, or used to buy food and drinks for everyone.

nojoes

Smash Ace

w00t.

10char

M@v

Subarashii!
i may be there, if i do. i will bring 2 wiis possibly.

deffinitly one though, as for the T.V i cant sorry =/
dont worry about it, i have a couple extra t.v.s. Wii with smash=appreciated! If you have melee can you bring it as well?

As a side note, about the projector. I know they cause lag, so we will try to hook a tv up to it, so the competitors can play on the tv, and the match is on the projector.

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
Neutrals
Fountain of Dreams
Pokemon Stadium
Dream Land
Kongo Jungle
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks

Rainbow cruise
Jungle Japes
Mute City
Poke Floats
Corneria
Princess Peach's Castle
Brinstar
Since when is PPC a legal counterpick?

or since when is KONGO JUNGLE neutral? LOLOL

The counterpick list is way too small as well.

I'm only going if Renth can find a ride.

Otherwise I'm here. I'll tell some FL people about this.

M@v

Subarashii!
Since when is PPC a legal counterpick?

or since when is KONGO JUNGLE neutral? LOLOL

The counterpick list is way too small as well.

I'm only going if Renth can find a ride.

Otherwise I'm here. I'll tell some FL people about this.
Ok I will put you down as a possible.^_^ Thanks for spreading the word.

peachs castle was on the CP/banned list. So I put it at CP for now. Like I said, we are still a couple months out, so things can still change.

•Col•

Smash Champion
if you are going to use a list, use the SBR offical one that has been out forever.
Princess peach's castle is a counterpick on the list... >_>

EDIT: Also, I believe the Kongo Jungle on the list is referring to the "Past Stages" one...

M@v

Subarashii!
its flat, has 2 platforms, and the only thing even different about it is the barrel under the stage...

Yoshi's island is neutral in brawl... and platforms randomly pop up on the sides that can save you.

M@v

Subarashii!
couple stage changes. one, for the melee tourney, jungle japes 64 is moved to a cp. The other, distant planet for brawl, is being moved to the banned stages list. I was playing it today, and I couldn't believe I let it be a CP. There is a walkoff. There are items you can throw. AND a giant monster can eat you >_>. Its not better than glacier, which is banned like everywhere.

•Col•

Smash Champion
couple stage changes. one, for the melee tourney, jungle japes 64 is moved to a cp. The other, distant planet for brawl, is being moved to the banned stages list. I was playing it today, and I couldn't believe I let it be a CP. There is a walkoff. There are items you can throw. AND a giant monster can eat you >_>. Its not better than glacier, which is banned like everywhere.
Huh? I don't think we should ban it... o-o

If you get eaten by the monster, that's your own fault... Also, I don't think it's possible to chaingrab someone up the hill offstage anyway...

Plus, there are items of Green Greens as well... That is considered to be a CP/Banned stage... I think maybe we should make it a CP...

But anyway, yeah... Don't ban Distant Planet... xD

[Also, get on MSN so we can chat]

nojoes

Smash Ace
Distant planet is way to easy to run away on and can be used in a circle fashion due to placement of the three edges and the ability to come from below on the floating leaf platform. I say ban it, walk-off plus campy in nature = ghey/ban.

Top Bottom