• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu's Dsmash!

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
At first glance, Pikachu's Dsmash seems to be an extremely effective move. It's a multi-hit move that can rack up lots of damage really fast, and has high knockback at the end to boot! However, on closer inspection, it can be DI'd out of extremely easily, thus negating most of the damage and all of the knockback. This makes it seem like one of the most worthless moves in Pikachu's arsenal, from an efficiency standpoint.

So what do you think about it? Do you use it?

Personally, I love using it as a mindgame. I used to fight scrub Pikachus all the time on WiFi. Whenever they Dsmashed, they expected me to hold still and get hit like they do, but instead I DI'd out of it, laughing at their stupidity. However, they kept doing Dsmash, and I kept DI'ing out of it, and eventually I got sick of constantly changing my flow to rapidly mash up on the control stick to frantically get out of that move. It got really old really fast, and it became EXTREMELY annoying.

In other words, it became a true Pikachu move. Yanno those people who franticallly try to break out whenever grabbed, and they usually end up screwing themselves over when they end up DI'ing wrong because of their button mashing and end up losing their groove at the same time? Dsmash does the same thing to their psychological state. By forcing them to instantly switch from attacking to frantically mashing their way out of a move, you throw off their mental "groove" and they have to regain it all over again. I found out that by throwing someone off their groove, you eventually begin to start annoying the crap out of them. As Pikachu mains, you all know what happens once someone starts playing when they're annoyed, right? It's a free win!

I dsmash all the time now whenever I feel as if there isn't enough time to set up a move that can be actually followed up. It resets the playing field while at the same time annoying the crap out of them, and has thus become a key move in my arsenal of annoying tactics. :D

Press22

Smash Journeyman
It's worthless either way to me.
My Combo's consist of Grabbing and Aerials not roll> Down Smash.
Kitamerby you already know this by playing me several times.

End of Story; Down Smash is GOOD for getting you're opponent away from you, nothing else. It is VERY easily DI'd out of, and if you don't believe that, I can prove it.

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
Argh. You just posted the psychological aspect of it that was going into my guide which is stickied above... Meh. I might quote you, but if I don't, what I write will not be plagiarised.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
It's worthless either way to me.
My Combo's consist of Grabbing and Aerials not roll> Down Smash.
Kitamerby you already know this by playing me several times.

End of Story; Down Smash is GOOD for getting you're opponent away from you, nothing else. It is VERY easily DI'd out of, and if you don't believe that, I can prove it.
I never said that DSmash was a GOOD move. I specifically recall myself stating that it was an ANNOYING move with potential PSYCHOLOGICAL effects.

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
Well I know I could probably (not trying to be cocky here) write it out better, except I would feel like I was plagiarising. Basically I'll have the quote and write my own version underneath.

K 2

Smash Lord
I often use downsmash to clear my opponents and get some breathing room. It attacks on both sides of pikachu which means you can hit your opponent if your facing the wrong way (if your facing the right way, towards you opponent, whip out one of pika's nasty grab combos on them.) Most people don't know how to DI out of it...I've played my friends and people online and most, if not all of them, didn't DI out of it. Maybe they just didn't know it COULD be DI'ed out of. Another plus of dsmash is that it comes out REALLY FAST, almost instanteous.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
The most useful thing D-smash is used for is for punishing sidesteps. If you see somebody sidestep, you D-smash, and you will hit with some part of it.

gallax

Smash Hero
esam beat me to the punch. it is extremely effective for sidesteppers. for example lucario players. most of those who i encounter love to sidestep. i just wait and do a dsmash. it stinks overall now that you can DI out of it but who cares. a wrong DI can always send you up and out towards the cieling.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
esam beat me to the punch. it is extremely effective for sidesteppers. for example lucario players. most of those who i encounter love to sidestep. i just wait and do a dsmash. it stinks overall now that you can DI out of it but who cares. a wrong DI can always send you up and out towards the cieling.
Well yeah we think the same. We are the pika informatants. Hi 5
*hi 5s*

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Odd. I don't get thrown "out of my groove" when Pikachus use D-Smash. I just shield all the hits and counter with F-Smash/D-Tilt; or alternately mash the Control Stick and C-Stick upwards if caught in it.

Also, D-Smash is kind of overrated, IMO. Lowest knockback out of Pikachu's Smashes, and it's only stronger than the others if you connect on ALL hits of it. Not to mention his U-Tilt has an actually LARGER range (hits above Pikachu) and can help set up combos.

K 2

Smash Lord
To DI out of the dsmash, do you DI up or DI away? or a combination, up and away?

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
To DI out of the dsmash, do you DI up or DI away? or a combination, up and away?
It's Up, Up and Away! (Sorry, you set me up for it!)

Really, just mash your Control Stick and C-Stick up repeatedly. The initial shocks are just to place you in the next one, which is often a horizontal trajectory. DIing allows you to distort that trajectory and escape the D-Smash before the final shock meant to launch you.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
ROBs is a LOT more difficult, since each of ROB's hits in his D-smash have relatively no knockback, while pikas have a bit. Maybe if you time it perfectly and smash-di up out of it you can. I know you can DI out of pika's bair, so idk about that one jar.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Can you also do this to Rob's down smash or any other multi-hit move? I would assume so im probably doing something wrong.
You can do it to any multi-hit move, even MK's Fair and Bair, but some are harder than others to get out of and require immediate input.

Draconian

Smash Cadet
I think D-Smash is vicious. It locks an opponent in for like, 22%+ damage and then usually throws then up for a Thunder strike.

Van Jones

Smash Lord
Dsmash is a very good move. Here are my reasons:

1) Does about 15% damage while fresh (Assuming your opponent does not DI)

2) Even with DI, dsmash can be a very frustrating move to your opponent. It is a momentum killer.

3) DI'ed dsmashes lead to opportunities. If your opponent rolls after escaping, you can tech chase to almost anything. If your opponent tries to get up after escaping, you can shield grab the attack.

Bottom line: Even with DI, dsmash is still a monster move. You don't have to spam it, but you also don't have to stop using just because your opponent can DI.

Veil2222

Smash Journeyman
I mostly use it to make people afraid of rolling, not really for punishing rolling, just enough to make them stop doing it. Using the suction to edgeguard/stage spike isn't bad against a few recoveries, and chaining full hop thunder volt approach to lagless land and d-smash usually gets a few hits in too.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
True. If you can't DI out of Pika's d-smash, you probably don't know how to DI period.
BTW- you can easily identify a scrub Pika if they spam d-smash.

D-smash is not that useful for me. I use mainly f-airs and grabs, and a bit of QAC combos and d-airs.
D-smash only to catch my opponent off-guard occasionally.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Again, the MOST USEFUL thing to use D-smash for is punishing rolls (to you, leading to behind you) and sidesteps. It is not useless, and is not incredibly useful. It's his worst smash imo, but that doesn't mean it isn't usable. It can also disrupt a player's pace if you are getting beat, because they have to stop what they are doing to DI out of it, and start all over again, which makes the position more even.

K 2

Smash Lord
I agree that Dsmash is pika's worst smash, in terms of killing power. I use to rack up damage and the annoy the heck out of my opponent, along with thunder jolt. One of the best advantages of dsmash is that it has virtually not startup lag. It's very quick and it can catch your opponent off guard. I often use it when the opponent is behind me since I can't shield grab them. Overall, its not a bad move. Yes, an opponent can DI out of it, but it still racks up at least 8-10%.

Zylar

Smash Ace
Rolling into dsmashes and such

I mostly use it to make people afraid of rolling, not really for punishing rolling, just enough to make them stop doing it. Using the suction to edgeguard/stage spike isn't bad against a few recoveries, and chaining full hop thunder volt approach to lagless land and d-smash usually gets a few hits in too.
I love playing the pyschological game of roll and dsmash, especially with ike. We fool around rolling, until we're accedentally standing next to each other and no escaping (The first part) the dsmash.

I like using dsmash near the edges. Why? 50 / 50 chance of a horizontal di going away from the stage, and time for spike/edge grab/ect.

Basically punish people who don't know how to di, and mess with the rest.

Top Bottom