• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Applications of Pivoting (DA Dash) for Marth

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
First off I can't guarantee all these things will work all the time because honestly I haven't been able to play my Marth much against people lately due to my location and school. However all of these should work at least some of the time, and some of them all of the time.

Anyway, most Marths don't really seem to use pivoting much, and I don't know if it's because it's too hard or if they just haven't thought about how to use it, so I thought I'd make a thread. When I say pivoting I'm generally talking about the DA dash method, where you pivot into the neutral stance. You can of course do many attacks by just timing, for instance, the C-stick on the proper frame during a dash dance, but this is more difficult IMO and less broadly applicable. For anyone who doesn't know how to pivot, I'll give a brief description. During a dash dance or Fox trot, quickly tap the stick in the opposite direction, but briefly enough that the stick rapidly returns to the neutral position. This will cancel your dash in the opposite direction into the neutral stance. You may find pivoting is very difficult at first, but with practice and the right kind of controller you should be able to master it and start using. What do I mean by the right kind of controller? Well, the ease or difficulty of pivoting depends greatly on the nature of your control stick. If you have a very loose stick you will find pivoting is extremely difficult. Pivoting is generally easier on NEW controllers. However, it's even easier on the older style of gamecube controllers. The older gamecube controllers have a slightly different control stick design (you can't tell without taking the controller apart) that affects how they deteriorate over time. Whereas most newer controllers will deteriorate into a very loose configuration, these older controllers will sometimes stiffen up on the edges, while loosening in the middle. This is ideal for tilts and pivoting, but bad for other things (like dash dancing). For me though it's definitely worth the tradeoff, although I have to use a different controller for Fox. These older controllers are generally the blue ones, and you can probably find a used one at Gamestop or something. You can definitely pivot with the newer controllers, but I find I can only do it with near 100% consistency with this very old messed up blue controller I have.

One more note on technique: You can greatly extend the range of where you can pivot by letting go of the stick while Marth still has some momentum. For instance dash left, hold the stick left for maybe 15 frames (before it makes you go into the run animation), let go of the stick, Marth will continue to dash, and you can still pivot. In this way you can dash a long way before pivoting.

Anyway, I'd like this thread to be a discussion primarily on USES of pivoting rather than technique, but you can ask technique questions if you want and I'll try to answer them. Also, please feel free to contribute new thoughts about the uses of pivoting, because it's very possible I've missed some very obvious things. So, onto the uses.

Retreating SH Autocancelled nair: Very useful as a defensive technique. When your opponent approaches, dash back, pivot a jump, then SH nair ASAP. Slam the stick away from your opponent as soon as you hit A. If you do it fast enough you don't need to L-cancel, and if you fast-fall at the right height the nair will cover the front of Marth entirely. This is a highly, highly spammable defensive move, and since there's zero lag you can immediately go into anything else.

Retreating SH double fair: Useful in similar fashion to retreating nairs, but I don't use this as much since there is a small window of vulnerability between fairs. Also it doesn't auto-cancel and you can't fast-fall it, so it takes longer than the retreating nair.

Pivoted FJ bair approach: Dash towards your opponent, then pivot and do a FJ bair at the appropriate distance to tip the bair. Do the bair immediately or you won't hit shorter characters like Fox. I'm not sure exactly which characters this will hit as I haven't tested on some of the low tiers, but it definitely hits anyone as tall as Fox or taller. If the bair hits it will often combo into fair, uair, etc. If it doesn't hit you can either cross over your opponent or DI back while doing fairs to protect yourself. This is an interesting approach I think because it has a better range than fairs and you can still maintain your spacing to protect yourself if you miss.

Pivot grab: Necessary for chaingrabbing Fox and Falco. Also sometimes easier to land than a regular grab.

Wavedash to dash to pivot grab: Wavedash toward your opponent, immediately dash behind them, and pivot grab. Similar to the Tree grab but IMO easier.

Ledge dash to pivot grab / fsmash: When Marth's on the edge your opponent will sometimes stand far from the edge waiting for you to ledge dash on or jump on. If you immediately dash from the ledgedash behind them you can often get in a grab or fsmash.

Pivot jab: The main use of pivot jab is to punish a flubbed tech by forcing your opponent into the slow-standup animation. I don't know the percentages but generally at lower damages your opponent will slow-standup, and there seems to be a correlation between character fall speed and how long this will work. Otherwise the jab will pop them up with very little lag. You will still be safe from attack due to Marth's range but you might not be able to combo from the pivot jab. Pivot jab is also somewhat spammable as a retreating maneuver, just to get your opponent off you. Doesn't combo and has limited use in this regard though.

Pivoted tipper: This is the big one, the main reason to learn to pivot. In addition to randomly fsmashing from dash dance you can actually combo a lot of things into pivoted tipper, even if your opponent DIs appropriately. Some of these combos are uair => pivoted tipper (combos at different percentages based on character fall speed, DI, and whether the uair tips), utilt => pivoted tipper, fair => pivoted tipper (sweet spotted or not, depending), nair => pivoted tipper (generally if floaties DI away at lowish damage), dair => pivoted tipper (when opponent is on the ground, obviously), dash attack => pivoted tipper, fthrow => pivoted tipper (kills semifloaties very well, even if they DI away, just chase them and pivot tipper), uthrow => pivoted tipper (on fast fallers at appropriate damage, even with no DI). Pivoted tipper is also good for tech-chasing, especially rolls toward the edge. If opponent flubs a tech in range of jab or pivot jab, you can jab to force the slow stand up, then pivot a tipper. Also pivoted tippers are more spammable than regular tippers since you can do it out of dash-dance at random times. Still, you probably shouldn't do it randomly unless you're punishing some lag or something. Note you can immediately charge the pivoted fsmash in either direction if you use C-stick + Z or C-stick + A.

Pivoted tilts: Specifically utilt and dtilt are very useful. However quickly pivoting the utilt is extremely difficult. The dtilt is somewhat easier but still next to impossible to do without a delay of quite a few frames between the neutral stance and the dtilt.

Pivoting as general supplement to movement: Mix it in with dash dancing and wavedashing to make yourself more fluid and unpredictable. Pivoting into a reverse wavedash looks really cool and has limited use (quickly edgehogging, spacing) but is probably more difficult than it's worth.

Pivoting for general spacing: Since you stop exactly where you pivot this is the most precise way to control your spacing. Of course you shouldn't stop spacing with other methods as well.

So these are some of the things I use pivoting for. I'd like to get some input on additional uses, discussion of these uses, and possibly more specific comboing information. I'd especially like input from people who are actually good (unlike me) to give this thread some credibility.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I actually can pivot pretty easily without using the DA method for Fsmashes. I think it's really easy when you can dash and use the c-stick for that particular pivot. Anyway, I have done it for sh fair to pivotted Fsmashes usually. The one I'm most fond of however is a shffl fair to dash backwards pivoted Fsmash. This nails Shieldgrabbers everytime and often with a tipper. It also works really well when people try to dash dance camp grab you. I just find that highly effective and it's probably one you could add to the list.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I actually can pivot pretty easily without using the DA method for Fsmashes. I think it's really easy when you can dash and use the c-stick for that particular pivot. Anyway, I have done it for sh fair to pivotted Fsmashes usually. The one I'm most fond of however is a shffl fair to dash backwards pivoted Fsmash. This nails Shieldgrabbers everytime and often with a tipper. It also works really well when people try to dash dance camp grab you. I just find that highly effective and it's probably one you could add to the list.
I can pivot C-stick stuff without going to neutral much better with my Fox controller, but I still find the DA method easier. I think the technique for these two methods is very different. With the DA dash method you want a quick, light, flicking motion, whereas with the timing method you just want to slam the C-stick and the control stick at the same time. A long time ago I tried to master the C-stick timing method but was never able to get more than about 80% consistency, so I decided to try this other method. It took longer to learn the proper technique but now I can pivot from leftward dashes about 99% and from rightward dashes about 90%.

That sounds like an interesting technique. I do something like that sometimes, if I'm dash dance camping in someone's face and they shield I will sometimes dash back and pivot fsmash.

Pivoting is so broken. I don't understand why the really good players don't seem to do it. I center my game almost entirely around pivoting, on comboing into pivoted tippers because you can combo into it at almost any damage on any character if you use the correct attack.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
i dont think pivot fsmash/ tippers are more useful than pivot grabs.

pivot grabs give better chaingrabbing for playing fox/ falco (two of the most common chars used in tournaments) and they also give better dash dancing and better spacing applications.

pivot fsmashed and tippers are good but there are alot more reliable ways to edgeguard and rack up damage

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
i dont think pivot fsmash/ tippers are more useful than pivot grabs.

pivot grabs give better chaingrabbing for playing fox/ falco (two of the most common chars used in tournaments) and they also give better dash dancing and better spacing applications.

pivot fsmashed and tippers are good but there are alot more reliable ways to edgeguard and rack up damage
I'm not saying pivot grabs aren't good and I use them all the time, but pivot tippers are a VERY reliable way for Marth to get kills. For instance against floaties at mid damage, if they DI the fthrow away a pivoted tipper will often kill them. At higher damage if they don't DI a pivoted tipper will kill them. Against fast-fallers you can easily combo uair into pivoted tipper or you can do a dair and much of the time they will miss the tech, that's a free tipper. The thing is that to escape a lot of the normal things that combo like fair chains, your opponent will DI away, which just means if you pivot a tipper on them they are going to autosmash DI away, so you can get kills ridiculously early. It's so good.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
a good player will notice what move you are going to do from the early startup frames, and will DI accordingly.

but yah i didnt know you could do pivot fsmashes on floaties after fthrow... that sounds so awesome

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
a good player will notice what move you are going to do from the early startup frames, and will DI accordingly.

BLANKET STATEMENT IS BLANKET.

I see how this is possible for some moves, (like throws,charge shot, knee,etc.) But there are many many setups where the opposite holds true. It doesn't matter how you DI (unless of course you smash DI) as long as you read it correctly you can continue your combo.

soap

Smash Hero
ya i never used pivots then one day i could just do them, now i pivot all the time with all my characters, but i find it easier with broken in controllers for some reason, and i get it 9/10 times.

i know its a marth thread but with falcon i moonwalk back, dash forward pivot fsmash, jus cuz it looks cool. pivot fadeaway nair is **** with marth + falcon

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
good thread, it's inspired me to learn pivoting. i'm a marth that uses ftilt a LOT and pivoting ftilts would be extremely useful, nevermind the useful fsmash tipper pivots as well. i particularly love the idea of tipper fsmashing shield grabbers.

does it work on sheik, btw? like if you fthrow sheik and she DIs away, do you have time to pivot tipper an fsmash? that would solve a LOT of problems

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Not if she DI's down at all. Sheik's trajectory on fthrows is pretty low to begin with. Mid % and just DI away I would have to test. Unfortunately I only get to play against Sheik sometimes on the weekends.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
good thread, it's inspired me to learn pivoting. i'm a marth that uses ftilt a LOT and pivoting ftilts would be extremely useful, nevermind the useful fsmash tipper pivots as well. i particularly love the idea of tipper fsmashing shield grabbers.

does it work on sheik, btw? like if you fthrow sheik and she DIs away, do you have time to pivot tipper an fsmash? that would solve a LOT of problems
Yeah I think in general Sheik falls too fast to do it at most %, because she will be able to tech before you can hit her. The exception is if you fthrow her off a platform or off the edge, you should be able to hit her (assuming you have room to dash forward to pivoted fmsash).

Top Bottom