• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

York University Smash - No longer on strike, due to werewolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osman

Smash Apprentice
Osman said:
[The strike] is supposed to last between a week and a month.
^ LOL.

SMASH 202 @ YORK UNIVERSITY

--------------------------

Where: Founders College, Room 104 (just follow the music!)
When: Every Wednesday
Time: Starts at around 5:30 - 6 pm, and ends late.
Which game? -- FFA Brawl in the main room, but other rooms will have competitive Melee and/or Brawl.

Random Rules

- Every player must supply their own controller.
- Don't be rowdy and boisterous, etc.
- Don't make a mess! You can eat in the tutorial rooms, but please clean up or there's a good chance we'll get locked out. This is a crucial rule.

**SPECIAL NOTICE**

On Wednesday, February 4th, there will be no competitive Melee room due to lack of participation for this week only. The York kids need to catch up on school ****, na meen? Next week, we're on though.

Other Notes

- Check back here for possible tournament listings.

- Be warned that the turn out for Brawl in the main room is usually large, so only FFAs and maybe 2 v 2s will be played to ensure that everyone gets a turn.

- You do NOT have to be a York student to attend any of these events, everyone is welcome!

Directions

"One of the easier ways is get to Finch station and take any bus that goes to York university. I think the 60c and 60f go there but 60f is only during rush hour."

"If you use the YRT, take the 3."

"If you use Viva, you can take the purple. To get to the purple line with the YRT, take the 91, get off at Hwy 7 and Bayview, then walk down the steps and hop on the purple. That's how I do it anway."

Set-Ups

Osman - Gamecube
KirbyKaze - Possibly Gamecube
Santa - Possibly a TV

Hope to see you all there!

Osman

Smash Apprentice
If a group doesn't exist, I can start one; there's always a TV available at the Founders lounge, I can supply a Gamecube, Melee, and a memory card on any agreed upon day. Any takers?

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
^ Kyle (Idea) and David (KirbyKaze) goes there.

talk to them or pm them.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Uhh I'll ask Kyle and people if they want to smash or something I'll probably go.

Oh yeah I go to York. Hi guys what's up.

Osman

Smash Apprentice
Sick, I didn't think I'd find anyone, glad to see a good response! For everyone who is interested, when are you free during the school week so we can get this started? As well, we can either organize this on our own, or we can join up with these guys:

http://tiny.cc/L4TmT

I'm not sure if the group is still active, I messaged the creator. If it is, that's a solid 30+ people who hopefully really like Melee, because I don't want to play that other one...

Gichan

Smash Champion
Yo guys, do any of you know if York has rooms that one can host tournaments in? I do remember that York had one before, a melee one that I didn't get to make it to.

Osman

Smash Apprentice
Yo guys, do any of you know if York has rooms that one can host tournaments in? I do remember that York had one before, a melee one that I didn't get to make it to.
I heard on the Shoryuken forums that there's a free room in the HNES building complete with several TVs and is only occupied by classes for about 4 hours a week, I'll have to look into it and make sure this wondrous place actually exists :laugh:. As for your question about the TV in the Founders Lounge, it's always available unless they're using it for a special event like movie night. They don't even use it for games night, they play on a projector (Xbox 360 games though).

If we get a good turn out, this could really shape up nicely. It'd be even better if we could become a recognized club by the YFS, they'd give us money, we could host even sexier tournaments, maybe even leave campus for something really big...

/wishful thinking.

Edit: Oh, my friend apparently knows this French Melee player who's been to national tourneys in Paris (I don't know if he's participated, or if he just went though...), he goes to Glendon, it'd be sick to see how he plays.

Gichan

Smash Champion
LOLOL, can you imagine?!! Oh man, that would be too sexy. But yo, I'm always bored at York, so I guess I can pass by to these Melee things, although I FAIILL at Melee now since...sigh..

Osman

Smash Apprentice
No worries man, I just decided to pick it back up again a few days ago, waves of nostalgia are washing over me. We won't fly straight into tourneys, it'll be casuals at first, just so we rusty players can get the hang of the game again. We could play Brawl too, but I don't know if anyone wants to truck their Wii around, other than tha_carter. I'd be down for both.

By the way, what's your major and what year are you in?

Gichan

Smash Champion
Psychology, 1 1/2 yr.

right now I play Brawl competitively, so I am decent at that though learning melee again would be cool, just don't know if I have time for both, if I were to play melee again it would be strictly casual (meaning I'd always suck, lol). Down for both. I'll start seeing about meeting up starting next week, just tell me when you are available.

tha_carter

Smash Ace
D-amn, id love to know if theirs a tourney.... any more info on that?

And i want to be invited to that group you linked, are you the admin, or do you know him?

Osman

Smash Apprentice
D-amn, id love to know if theirs a tourney.... any more info on that?

And i want to be invited to that group you linked, are you the admin, or do you know him?
I'm not an admin, and no, I don't know the creator, but just request to join the group or message him, he's a nice dude, very welcoming. I updated the first post with all the necessary information, so check it out there. The group is only in its BETA stages, so if everyone in this thread could attend some nights, the big turnout would make this an official club! So please come when you can.

Oh, and to any mods reading this, could they change the title of the thread to "Smash 202 @ York University?"

tha_carter

Smash Ace
So, itd be happening today, and i can just show up? or should i message him and get invited to the group?

Osman

Smash Apprentice
Yeah man, just show up :).

I spoke with the creator of the group just now; if there's a big turn out, they can only run FFAs to make sure everyone gets equal play time, so you'd be running a risk of that if you only want to play competitive Brawl.

However, not all hope is lost; he said that if I'm bringing a ton of people from a competitive background (I have 9 at last count, including myself and some friends that don't post here), he'd book another room or two.

tha_carter

Smash Ace
oh good stuff, are you going to go today?

ill try and show up...
But itd be amazing if there could be two rooms

Osman

Smash Apprentice
I have to work today, but I'm pretty sure I'll be coming tomorrow. I have a lot of readings to do, but whatever.

JvaN_

Smash Apprentice
I'd come today, but HOUSE SEASON 5 is gonna be on tonight, so I'm not missing that lol. If I didn't live about an hour away, I'd come for sure.

But my class ends at 6 pm tomorrow... Chances are, I'm gonna be coming to this. I have just got back into Melee and 64 again after re-realizing that Brawl is boring, so this would be a nice place to go to after I finish my class because Rae's is waaaaaaaay too far compared to a 2-3 min walk to Founder's lol

Question, though; how many 64 controllers will there be, or would we have to supply ourselves one of those too? I'd bring my 64 controller except it's more broken than Snake's tilts, and the 64 controllers at the Student Centre, well...

Osman

Smash Apprentice
I don't know about the N64 controllers, I would bring one just to be safe, though I imagine people will be open to sharing considering not too many people have them anymore. Those controllers at the Student Centre you mentioned, are those the ones for sale at that random video game bazaar? :laugh: I want that "Blow Me" t-shirt with the NES cartridge on it.

Anyway, I just found out that a competitive room is GUARANTEED :D:D:D. He said it's not a problem at all, so I'll be bringing my Gamecube as well tomorrow. I might be a little late, I'm tabling for the Green Party at Yorkfest :p.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
sweet

<3 ambrose

i know you're all about brawl but would you still play me in melee friendlies for nostalgia? i miss our ic dittos XD

tha_carter

Smash Ace
I went yesterday, it was alright. I was the best there, although they were pretty good.

The guy said that theyre playing N64 today, but he's bringing his wii just in case. Because HE's not bring the n64 so theyres always a possibility of a no show.

Melee wasnt played there, but they welcomed anyone to open up another room, and start that.

idea

Smash Master
- I've been informed that if the turnout is large enough, two Smash rooms would be made available to minimize wait times; eventually, an enormous tourney will be held, proving once and for all who the best Smasher on campus is.
it's kirbykaze. /thread. (edit: for melee i mean. for brawl i dunno. most likely Ambrose though.)

so i'll come to this today (i'm Kyle by the way) but i just found out about it now, so is there any way i might be able to borrow a controller? in the future i'll bring my own, and probably an extra in case anyone else pulls this too =P

...smash 202 in room 104, eh...

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
maybe at melee lawl

iunno if i am the best i could probably show people how to d-smash and then be good. but mostly how to d-smash. d-smashing is broken. it like, hits both sides of you! ULTIMATE DEFENSE!!!

idea

Smash Master
so modest =P whenever you're ****** me it's cause of weird needle tactics on platforms and being generally really careful. dsmash doesn't work if you are an adorable balloon. thanks in advance for the controller too.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
platforms are good when you're a ****** ninja. they're like stripper poles only flat. and then it's like "LOL SURPRISE!!!"

also i hope good people are at york it would be cool to meet good new people. or just new people =D

Gichan

Smash Champion
Nate, this tourney wouldn't be for money I'm guessing. Unless that room can be rented for a big tourney.

Although, I passed by to see the room and it is a lounge for the students taking res at York, so I highly doubt we could.

And btw, what have you been up to, been a long time since I saw you Niagara boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom