• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In Depth:Mock-Waveland

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
so if anyone has been reading the testing thread I have been talking a lot about Raptor boost, and even more about the mock-waveland. I want to share with you the importance of this tech and what I have discovered with it recently. First off no vids cause I have no camera (that works) or a youtube account, so im not making any videos about this, I trust that some people on the Falcon boards are smart enough to test this.

First off why is the Mock-Waveland important to Falcon's game? Isn't it only used at Yoshi's Island while recovering at the edges? NO, my friend the Mock-Waveland can be used at a various levels and at various positions. Yoshi's island is only thought to have the edges as places to MW, but in reality you can also MW even at the center of the stage! I have been testing the physics behind this move extensively, it seem's that ANY type of slope allows a MW, including YI's slight indentation floor structure. However the time in which you cancel your jump into a Raptor boost varies, for example on YI the very small slopes have to be canceled quickly and at a certain spot, this spot is near the middle of the stage before it turns flat. In fact if you look at the lines on the stage there should be two kinda small rectangle sections, these sections are Falcon's "hot spots" where Falcon can MW the the edge of the stage if he want's to. For much steeper slopes such as distant planet, you do not need to cancel you jump into a raptor boost that quickly, your really are just simply jumping about half the size of a SH then raptor boosting towards the hill. On distant planet you achieve ridiculously long slides, and all of these slides can be interupted fairy quickly with anything you want; jabs, grabs, Fsmash, Dsmash, ect. Now I know many users are going to say that it's still a situational move, but im going to list a number of counter pick stages and some debated neutral stages later on but im going to talk about how the MW can be effective on flat stages. On flat stages you canot MW at all but the same movement is very useful from my findings. If you enter training of whatever with Falcon on Final D. and try to MW as quickly as you can, in your landing lag you will slide slightly. Next run across FD with Falcon to about the middle and see how much time it takes (by eye, you don't need to go overboard and count the frames) then do the same with the MW. you should notice that the raptor boost travels faster then you running speed (to the middle of FD roughly). Next, around half way to a quarter of the distance of FD from the edge perform a MW, you should have noticed that falcon's sliding animation cancels into a almost falling animation (you know where he says "oops" and flails around at the edge). From this exact position you can cancel this animation into a HADUKEN!!!!11!, so if people have a hard time normally hadukening, they simply do this, because once at the edge hadukening becomes a zillion times easier, and if you don't think it is try it running and then try it when at the very edge. This makes edgehog's way easier and quicker

anyways so those are my thoughts on the MW, im sure there's a lot more to it because of the falling animation cancel but that's all I got for now

here are the confirmed neutral stages the MW works on:

Yoshi's Island- edges and main arena except the very middle little flat spot and the above tilted platform

Counterpicks

Lylat Cruise - the edges and when the stage tilts

Delfino Plaza - the top platform, the edges at it's first stop, the beach section (big MW here), inside the city at the two steep staircases (big MW)

Halberd - the main platform, it has low edges so a quick MW is needed for it to work, but has great results nevertheless

Castle Siege - the starting section has a slope that can be used well, the second part of the level has platforms above that have steep and long hills

Distant Island - already mentioned

Pokemon Stadium - water, and jugle parts have nice slopes for effective use

Pirate Ship - like halberd, it has small slopes on the ship

Sliding+Non-Sliding Moves

o.k, so falcon can only do couple of sliding moves, some are really hard to pull off and some are way easy.

Sliding

Falcon can do sliding jabs, grabs (ridiculous grab range is achieved) and tilts, but you have to input the command really fast, except for Utilt if you have tap-jump off

Non-Sliding

everything else, stops Falcon's momentum (even Falcon punch :( , it's still a great mind-game

Majora_younglink

Smash Apprentice
Hmm. I need to look into this. Seems like this move might very well be more than situational. Maybe a way to mind game?

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
yeah ask knee about this, yesterday I was tripping him out with it at delfino, today he was making good use of it. yeah pirate ship works to, but i forgot to mention it, among other levels

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
Uhh....what's Mock-Waveland? Is that a SH>Raptor Boost that cancels the landing lag of a normal RB?

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
The good ole falcon is going to be up there watch then everyone is going to run to him. Just like Sonic. (Except its going to take a bit of time to find the AT's)

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
interesting, but i just cant seem to implement it into my game, for that reason, ayaz, i want to face you a few matches sometime soon to observe your use of it... if its ok with you

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFvowOf_rf4

Here's one from the middle of FD if anyone is curious.

aww stopage for the lose.

What about mock waveland to raptor boost?
actually mock-waveland works amazing with raptor boost, just amazing mindgames come from it, but you know if your facing MK, mindgames don't matter.............your still going to get owned

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
^^^^^^^^^^^^

a device which is used to record game sessions with high sound and visual quality + you don't hear the amount of johns the players are screaming at each other lol

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
^^^^^^^^^^^^

a device which is used to record game sessions with high sound and visual quality + you don't hear the amount of johns the players are screaming at each other lol
Lol, ah ok. So I hear about this thing called a SD Card you can plug it into your wii? Will it mess up your wii?

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
Lol, ah ok. So I hear about this thing called a SD Card you can plug it into your wii? Will it mess up your wii?
not up to date on technology huh lol.it only saves .bin files so an sd card for a wii is really a waste.it doesnt take anything that is biiger than 2gb.anyways if you do buy it dont buy a stupid one that says "wii" both the regular one and that one are the same

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
SD cards are useful to me cause I (one of the few who recognize amazing games) own and play Blast works, got it on the first day :), and it eats my memory when I try to save level designs so I got an SD card just for it

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
Rofl, my little moniker for this thingy has become the actual term...

I feel so awesome

From this day forth, BananaTrooper shall be known as the wonderful almighty dude that single handedly coined the term responsible for breaking wide open falcon's metagame, and as a direct result rescue falcon from the depths of bottom tier to some exalted position of non-bottom of bottom tier...

Right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFvowOf_rf4

Here's one from the middle of FD if anyone is curious.

aww stopage for the lose.

What about mock waveland to raptor boost?
That vid doesnt show a mock waveland ( :chuckle: ).

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Rofl, my little moniker for this thingy has become the actual term...

I feel so awesome

From this day forth, BananaTrooper shall be known as the wonderful almighty dude that single handedly coined the term responsible for breaking wide open falcon's metagame, and as a direct result rescue falcon from the depths of bottom tier to some exalted position of non-bottom of bottom tier...

Right?

That vid doesnt show a mock waveland ( :chuckle: ).
Well not like the one performed on the edge but its the same motion it just doesn't goes as far am I right?

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
Ok I think I know what this does. XD I used it on a Snake at Delfino's staircases. I did a waveland to grab which was a huge distanced grab, then I threw him out on the walkoff sides. It was very sexy. :D

Even if the Snake spawned to grab and throw me right at the edge, forcing me to roll right into his charging Fsmash which killed me at 34%. :'(

misterbee180

Smash Apprentice
This might be worth learning if it could be used on neutral levels. It seems the only legit level is YS and that's the worst one of the neutrals

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
to add on to the mock waveland, on some flat stages, if you are landing and use sideB just before you touch the ground, you can hit your opponent and immediately land without that funny bounce that falcon gets from hitting someone in the air with sideb. It has very strict timing just so you know.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
**bump out of possible useful AT**
wait, what? immediately landing isn't helpful when you use his sideb?

Player-3

Smash Hero
PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNiIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

no, its really not

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lol, I accidentally did this yesterday. I was actually annoyed by being inturupted when I was trying to raptor boost.

†Slader7†

Smash Ace
Lol, I accidentally did this yesterday. I was actually annoyed by being inturupted when I was trying to raptor boost.
Yeah but still, this can be used as mindgames if used correctly :)
Brawl's physics are pretty confusing :laugh:

I'm sorry P3, please find it in your heart to forgive me. :3

Top Bottom