• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Official Kirby Matchup Rankings AND GUIDE Thread! :: OMGOMGOMG! We're done!

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
45-55 her favour?
No no no no NO! That can't be right. Though in Melee, Kirby was Peach's bad match up because of her broken D-Smash at the time and the fact she can chase Kirby even on the way to hell thanks to her float and good jumping ability. But now I'll say the match up is either even or in Kirby's favor because Peach doesn't have many attacks to kill you with. I will say don't let her get above you, her D-Air combo's are a ***** to handle and to escape from, and thanks to her float tricks, she's very hard to gimp off the stage. Since she's light, you'll have kind of a hard time using grab combo's on Peach, I would suggest instead of the F-Throw > U-Air, I would F-Throw > Short hop > F-Air, (I don't know anyone besides me that uses F-Throw > Up-B), also her *** of justice is still a pain. The things that's dangerous that Peach has is her F-Air, D-Air, N-Air, and the randomness of F-Smash and Down-B. Now for our advantages, if Kirby spikes Peach, theres a little chance of her comming back, and also, hell yea for Kirby having a better hit box than her now than on Melee, and let's not forget that Side-B Air, B-Air, F-Air, and of course F-Smash is effective to Peach. And lastly, don't take her powers, it's not worth it and she can use it better.... maybe you can use her Netrual-B to float for two seconds.... well with Kirby's air momentom, you won't need it.

Bottom line, Kirby should have a little upper advantage because he got moves to kill Peach faster than Peach can kill Kirby, but Peach has a lot of tricks up her long dress, though her Down-B isn't as effective like the last Smash Bros, it's still her calling card, and don't let her get above you or fell the rath of ver D-Air to U-Air, and that might get you to 30% or 40%. And don't forget, Kirby has more hit box to his attacks on the ground, if Peach is in the air, fight in the air to with F-Air, B-Air, or D-Air, watch out for her F-Air, that's on of her most effective attacks.

But yea, 55-45 Kirby or 50-50, I'll call.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I have trouble with Peach sometimes, but I think it's pretty neutral. She has some kind of combos...I usually get hit with something along the lines of Dair->dair->uair and it does what, 30%+ damage? It's pretty painful.

Her Dair seems to have really good priority too, so try not to take it head on. You want to be slightly above Peach and to the side, and approach with Bair. I don't know how good her Uair is, but if you can Dair her offstage that's great.

It'll be hard to KO her with Fsmash since she's in the air so much...but it may be a little easier than the time she has KOing you with her Fair. Her aerial movement speed is better than ours, right? So watch out for that, she can connect Fair pretty easily if you're both in the air.

Watch out for her neutral B, it's punishable if she misses, but if she uses it very rarely and wisely, it can seriously hurt. In fact, it will KO at high enough percents, and I think it depends on what move you use? Like if you Fsmash, it will be pretty bad for you.

Copy or Starshot? I personally like to take her power, I guess it all depends on you though. Toad is the only "counter" type move Kirby will ever have, and I like to take advantage of it when I see the opportunity.

Overview (to be updated when stuff arises?):
pros for Kirby: she's light, you can KO and gimp her pretty easily. Better ground game?
cons for Kirby: she's light, that makes her harder to combo.

pros for Peach: better aerial movement than Kirby, combos that do significant damage at low percents and are hard to escape.
cons for Peach: Forward Air is her most reliable kill move, and it's pretty easy to see coming.

Overall, I'm saying 50-50 for now, but if anything, I think it might be in Kirby's favor.

Percon

Smash Lord
It's either 60-40 or 55-45 for us.

I have a lot of experience vs good peaches and am pretty confident that Kirby has the edge. I'd be willing to go as far as to say there are only one or two peaches could beat me consistently (azen doesn't count he ***** with everyone), and none of them could take Chu.

You do need to play differently to win, though.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Peach vs. Kirby is pretty easy. Her short vertical recovery makes her very susceptible to DAir gimps. :] You can crouch over a LOT of her moves and just DTilt her.

60-40 or 55-45 at most in our advantage.

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
Peach lives longer than kirby (with good DI of course)

Peach has some moves that are pretty quick(like her jabs) and weird hit boxes.

moar range

can spam turnips

Kirby cant combo her as well as others.

Fair WoP does work pretty well on her tho.

Kirby does not do well against any floaty character really.

idk i might have to agree with the peach boards or say....49-51 lol

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
more range????

not really, Bair has more range than anything she has. Kirby's jabs are quick to lol

Kirby doesnt have to combo peach, although in the air Bair to bair ?!?!? lol or Utilt to Bair to Bairor another grab.

Playing against Peach is when u get an opening **** her and then when u've hit her to far. Just space and wait for another opening, Peach is punished harder for missed moves than most characters

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
You have to remember, Kirby has more attacks that's very effective on Peach like his B-Air, D-Tilt, F-Air, etc. Most of her strongest and effective moves is hard to hit Kirby with, also unless she get's her U-Smash on you, (what are the odds of that), her most effective attack is her F-Air or the randomness of her F-Smash or her Down-B. She doesn't have many options to KO and her most effective attacks it's hard to lay a hit on Kirby with which is why I find it odd that the Peach boards have the match up in Peach's hands.

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
Fair, randomness of fsmash, Nair, Uair....hell even bair at a fair percent on the ends of stages close to sides.

The ability to pull out random turnips and even items that can kill are low but high enough to give her 5 points on the matchup.

And if you cant Upsmash then count Utilt in also.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
You have to remember, Kirby has more attacks that's very effective on Peach like his B-Air, D-Tilt, F-Air, etc. Most of her strongest and effective moves is hard to hit Kirby with, also unless she get's her U-Smash on you, (what are the odds of that), her most effective attack is her F-Air or the randomness of her F-Smash or her Down-B. She doesn't have many options to KO and her most effective attacks it's hard to lay a hit on Kirby with which is why I find it odd that the Peach boards have the match up in Peach's hands.

They have a lot of umm...out there numbers on their matchup chart.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Our matchup discussion is out of date.

I'd probably put it at 55:45, Kirby's favor...but not a ton of experience with it. I'm hoping to fight t!mmy this weekend though.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I haven't fought a right lot of Kirby's but I know Dark.Pch has fought Chu before and I could have sworn somewhere it said they both agreed on the match up being 50:50

Kirby's pretty small and I think if he crouches, Peach can't hit him with her Jab...I think I'd have to check that

The only thing that annoys me the most in this match up is Kirby's Bair and probably his F Smash. Peach can F Tilt Kirby out of his Bair thought and Toad works against Kirby's F Smash, althought the F Smash will negate a fair few spores

I don't really know specific match up numbers for Peach vs Kirby as I don't have a right lot of Kirby experience. Sorry

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
Peach has a slight advantage when it comes to spacing. She has Turnips, Glide-Tossing, Float and just overall better maneuverability. With good spacing, smart play, and proper avoidance of Kirby's Fsmash. Kirby may find it slightly difficult to land a kill. However, once Kirby lands that fsmash at high percentages, she'll more then likely get stocked.

Kirby's Up+B's projectile is very easy to see coming and a well-thought out toad will wreck it. Try not to use it as much in this matchup. Speaking of Up+B a turnip will cancel it out if used to recovery so be wary of that.

Peach IS susceptible to dair gimps when she recovers DIRECTLY horizontol or from below. Take note that Peach cannot airdodge without cancelling her float so take immediate advantage of this and gimp her properly with dair. Don't forget though that peach can use peach bomber as well to recover.

Some things I find annoying with Kirby is his bair, dtilt, and fsmash. Bair has enough priority to cancel out ALOT of peach's moves (*it even cancels out Peach's toads and turnips) Bair WoP works really well. dtilt comes out fast enough and can be just annoying at times, and of course Fsmash is stupidly powerful lol. It can kill VERY early so I always have to watch out for that.

I think it's even 50-50.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
No one uses Final Cutter. Or they shouldn't be, anyway. =S

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I personally consider this matchup 50-50 or 55-45 in Peach's slight favor.

Kirby will have a VERY tough time hitting Peach with any of his kill moves. His reliable option is getting his down air to trip or down tilt to trip to forward smash, but you will not be getting a hammer or regular forward smash on a spacing Peach. Upsmash is possible but it doesn't really kill until much later.

When Peach builds a wall with retreating forward airs to forward smash, it becomes very difficult for Kirby to get in .And when he's not applying pressure, Peach has the ability to reverse glide toss turnips. Peach does not have nearly the tough time killing Kirby as much as she does other characters - I never, ever have trouble getting a kill. I usually save forward tilt and sweetspot it for the kill at 130% or so. Jab to buffered forward tilt will get the job done here.

Like I said, Peach has the ability to play defensive in this matchup, an option Kirby doesn't have because turnips , while not that effective as damage rackers, will force him to be the one to make the move. This places Peach at an advantage the whole time if she's gay and campy. Peach's back air also has enough weird properties and disjoint to trade hits with Kirby's aerials.

The things Kirby can do to Peach have been outlined extensively here already, which is why it turns to be around an even matchup. I weight it as slight Peach advantage just because I always feel in control of the match whenever I play a Kirby, but I can't put substantial reasoning to that one, so I'd be fine with 50-50. I cannot fathom why this would be 60-40 in Kirby's advantage.

Please don't say things liek "forward air is easy to see coming." Forward air is used as a punishing move. She waits until a mistake (while floating backwards) then uses it. You see it coming while you are in cooldown yes, but you can't do a thing about it.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Hmmm...this seems like another one of those gay matchups you spend camping b-air all the time while neither person approaches. Oh, btw we also need stage counterpicks/bans and Peach's favourite moves. I should put that in the peach forum thread

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
Hmmm...this seems like another one of those gay matchups you spend camping b-air all the time while neither person approaches. Oh, btw we also need stage counterpicks/bans and Peach's favourite moves. I should put that in the peach forum thread
This.

Recommended counterpicks against Peach:
Rainbow Cruise
*A slope stage like Pipes or Corneria if the player likes to float approach alot

Ban:
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion

----------------------------------

What Peach usually counterpicks against Kirby
Lylat Cruise
Battlefield

Ban:
Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Brinstar

-----------------------------------

Peach favorite moves:
Everything besides, toad (NeutralB), Parasol (UpB; when used as anything other then recovery), Peach Bomber (sideB), and to some extant dtilt and uair.

Peach's REALLY favorite moves:
Turnips and Glide Tossing
Dair
Fair
Bair
Nair
Jab

Etherlight

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm...this seems like another one of those gay matchups you spend camping b-air all the time while neither person approaches.
I can definitely see this, in fact I think I've experienced something like this before. It's incredibly boring.

But I agree alot with what Edreeses and Rowan said and that's how I think the match-up goes for Peach.

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
this is on a more casual level of play, but Peach is easy for me to beat. infact, unless i'm having a bad day, the match is something of a joke to me. guess i don't know any good peaches.

Percon

Smash Lord
I personally consider this matchup 50-50 or 55-45 in Peach's slight favor.

Kirby will have a VERY tough time hitting Peach with any of his kill moves. His reliable option is getting his down air to trip or down tilt to trip to forward smash, but you will not be getting a hammer or regular forward smash on a spacing Peach. Upsmash is possible but it doesn't really kill until much later.

When Peach builds a wall with retreating forward airs to forward smash, it becomes very difficult for Kirby to get in .And when he's not applying pressure, Peach has the ability to reverse glide toss turnips. Peach does not have nearly the tough time killing Kirby as much as she does other characters - I never, ever have trouble getting a kill. I usually save forward tilt and sweetspot it for the kill at 130% or so. Jab to buffered forward tilt will get the job done here.

Like I said, Peach has the ability to play defensive in this matchup, an option Kirby doesn't have because turnips , while not that effective as damage rackers, will force him to be the one to make the move. This places Peach at an advantage the whole time if she's gay and campy. Peach's back air also has enough weird properties and disjoint to trade hits with Kirby's aerials.

The things Kirby can do to Peach have been outlined extensively here already, which is why it turns to be around an even matchup. I weight it as slight Peach advantage just because I always feel in control of the match whenever I play a Kirby, but I can't put substantial reasoning to that one, so I'd be fine with 50-50. I cannot fathom why this would be 60-40 in Kirby's advantage.

Please don't say things liek "forward air is easy to see coming." Forward air is used as a punishing move. She waits until a mistake (while floating backwards) then uses it. You see it coming while you are in cooldown yes, but you can't do a thing about it.
Ack! Endrees! The one Peach main who's smash savvy I place above my own.

I can see where you're coming from but I still don't think the matchup is even. After reading what you wrote, I'd now say 55-45 Kirby.

I don't think Kirby has that much of a problem killing Peach. Though forward smash is hard to land on a good Peach (unless she makes a mistake, then you can kiss your stock goodbye), upsmash isn't as bad as you say. It will kill you before your fresh fair can kill us (maybe not at the very edge of some levels, but still). Though Kirby often has to trade hits to get it to land (in my experience anyway), it's very much possible. Air hammer isn't too tough to land on a Peach, in my opinion. Also there's the much neglected "keep bair fresh to kill", but that's not too useful here. Anyway, Kirby can usually land a kill before 130.

Not to mention dair gimps. Peach isn't too tough to get with these as it goes through float and bomber (IIRC), her two main recovering options. Also I think it works at the parasol starts up, though I could be wrong. Peach can edgeguaed Kirby to some degree as well, though not as effectively.

The fair > fsmash/jab you mentionned is the toughest think for Kirby to get around, but well-placed bairs CAN circumvent it if done correctly. Also grabs work if the Peach messes up (not too likely though). It's still really annoying though.

I don't think turnips are a big problem at all. Nobody forces anyone to approach in this matchup - it's just whoever is at the lowest damage. Turnips are a nuicance at mid ranges but they're really easily shieldable. Upward glide tossed turnips are kind of lame but a Kirby shouldn't be putting himself in a position to be hit by that anyway. Forward glide toss to grab (?) or something might work though. But Kirby should be using bairs a lot.

That's just the way I see things. I wish you and I could play so I can get your insight on the matchup by hand, but for now I'm convinced Kirby has a slight advantage.

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
I'll settle with a 50-50 or a 55-45 slight kirby favor. It's another one of those matchups of who punishes better. Even matchups can get a little frustrating at times to predict correctly, pal.

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
Peach Vs. Kirby
_50___:___50_

From things already stated and Games against Excel Zero's Peach. It's pretty even. If Both players maintain the Game mistake Free, it could go by Time IMO.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Peach Vs. Kirby
_50___:___50_

From things already stated and Games against Excel Zero's Peach. It's pretty even. If Both players maintain the Game mistake Free, it could go by Time IMO.
I'm imagining the new rules set now.

SBR-B said:
And if the match is Kirby vs Peach, there is no time limit.
:laugh:

Anyway, for the matchup. Our bair can beat turnips (and pit's arrows and TL's arrows and TL's boomerang and basically every non-exploding projectile in the game, except for fox's blaster. So yea, Link and TL have bombs that can beat us and fox has a blaster. It's good to be kirby XD), but it takes some reasonable timing. From what's been already said, it looks like the peaches want 55-45 Peach, Kirbies want 55-45 Kirby, and there are some from each group that are in the middle at 50-50. I'll also go with 50-50.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Counterpicks for Peach, Jungle Japes is excellent also Rainbow Cruise. I prefer Jungle japes b/c of the varied heights of the platforms as well as peachs poor horizontal recovery on that stage.

Gnes

Smash Master
Peach's love japes.
Thats my teams partner favorite CP...i guess its peach universal

I say this matchup is 55-45 Kirbys favor

For peach its a matter of starting her aerials faster than kirby can approach with RAR bairs or fairs....Kirby cant rely on dair to stop peach from recovering simply because her Up B timed right beats it out...Though i do like to go off the edge with a bair or two...Peach can be gimped...its just a little difficult

Kirby really cant approach from too far above considering peach's up tilt beats out everything smart that can be tried. Peach can have trouble approaching if kirby camps with perfectly space bairs. Peach's omnipotent dair will stop any of kirby's OOS options so the match is basically all about spacing and patience.

Kirbys Bair is essential to this matchup(when is it not:lick:). The only move that peach has that will trade hits with this move is her fair and thats if its timed perfectly. Grab combos wont work on peach unless with a little improvising. Because of kirbys shape and weight dair combos from peach wont really be that brutal either.

Hmm...thats about all from me since everything else has basically been covered. I wish i would have got to play u Edrees when u came for HOBO 11 though i do get enough practice from Gea's peach.

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
Its really not that bad, with bananas Kirby just has to keep his distance, and wait for Diddy to make a move, if he throws the banana ur out of range, if he tries to glide toss it towards u since u know ur out of range of the banana u can short hop Bair. Many diddy players will simply mind game the banana and use it to glide toss a lot, others will throw the **** out of the bananas gliding toss it or just throwing it. The important thing is they have to pick the missed banana up. This is where Kirby excels, U get in between the banana and diddy, grab usually is the best bet, back throw and then throw the banana behind u but on the stage. Diddy will have one banana less and they might feel pressured to go get it. either way u have some control of the match, if he has the other banana do the same thing, maybe even pick of the other banana to keep it from disappearing, the whole match is about disrupting Diddy's flow. Once u can do that ull feel the control u have over the match.
this. plus i find that a LOT of diddy's like to do the cartwheel to pick up their bananas. if you space it correctly you can fsmash every time. =) i like frustrating diddys. if u mess up their flow they start playing dumb.

EDIT: sorry i was late with this comment. more on topic, i don't like fighting peach. my SDI skill isn't as good as i'd like, so the spaced dairs and nairs really get to me. plus the no-lag airs make it a dangerous spacing game.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
If anything i feel Kirby has the advantage in the matchup, if it wasn't for Snakes ridiculous KO potential with Utilt it wouldnt be even.
And his incredible weight.

I would agree that Kirby > Snake, if it wasn't for the fact that I can totally outperform and outplay a Snake, and by that I mean I'm kicking his *** left and right across the stage, but HE DOESN'T DIE, and then he lands a few tilts and explosives and I'm in KO range at 90%. And he's at say, 150% or higher.

daisho
asdioh

I'M FREAKIN' OUT, MAN!

Top Bottom