• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Official Kirby Matchup Rankings AND GUIDE Thread! :: OMGOMGOMG! We're done!

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Our Bairs are the same, Nair and Uair are frame 4, Dair is frame 5 and Fair is like...20 or something, lol.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
We've discussed this on our boards already and have it as 55:45 Kirby. It's pretty even for the most part in gimping and kill power. They both have great combos as well. The deciding factor is Kirby's superior aerial range; usually he'll beat Mario going head to head in the air. It's not a huge thing, but it's enough to give Kirby the nod.

Overall, this is a pretty even match.
You said what I was thinking pretty well. I never have much fear when I go against Mario, but I do know what to watch out for. Namely, don't get Fsmashed, and don't use Up B to recover.

Heck, Mario has to have the same mindset: don't get fsmashed, and don't use Up B or you'll get Daired XD

It's pretty even, except I'm going to put this at 55-45 Kirby's favor, and possibly more, because of the fact that Mario is pretty easy to gimp for Kirby, and Bair WoP on Mario is pretty effective, especially if he's facing towards you.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
It's not more than 55:45, Mario gimps Kirby pretty well too. Cape outranges everything he has in the air. Mario's ground game is also excellent here. His 4 frame Dsmash and jab cancels work very well.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
You're missing my point.

If Mario comes out to cape Kirby, none of Kirby's aerials will do much to stop it. The only attacks that contest the cape are his side B and neutral B. Even so, cape comes out faster. Mario won't cape Kirby to his death every time, just like Kirby won't Dair Mario every time, but both definitely have the tools to gimp each other. Also keep in mind that we have Fludd, Fair meteor, fireballs, and aerials of our own to help gimp as well.

It's not a huge advantage offstage for either party, though I would give the slight edge to Kirby.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Kirby Scares me, 100:0 Kirby's favor.

In all seriousness-

I don't think it has been brought up that FIHL works well on Kirby's aerials, which could possibly lead to some kind've hit on Kirby. Otherwise, I haven't played Kirby enough to go into detail, but I know for a fact it's just as easy for him to gimp us as it is for us to gimp him. Or easier. Sounds like a Kirby advantage to me, since he's pretty good in the air. And, you know, overpowered F-smashes combined with almighty rocks from the sky frighten me... horribly. 55:45 - 60:40

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
Cant we just jump higher than you can cape us most the time? I've never been gimped by a mario repeatedly caping my kirby, but its been a while since i played one, possibly a new development?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
You're right, but the objective to caping him is depleting his jumps and forcing the upB. The cape during Kirby's jump sends him up and away, you then use a second unnecessary jump to put yourself where you should've been hadn't you been caped OR let yourself fall, in which case Mario should Fludd, knock you back, or simply cape again. Once you're forced to upB, which is terribly easy to cape, the gimp is complete.

This works VERY well vs Pit and ROB...to a lesser degree.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Sounds pretty accurate thus far.

Mario can also pressure an approach with fireballs. You probably don't want Kirby copying your power though, since Kirby is a more effective projectile spammer and his fireballs come out faster, allowing him to follow up with different moves.

Can't Mario also FLUDD Kirby's UpB?

Mario can follow up a caped aerial with a Uair, right?

Another quick question: Does Mario's SJP have invincibility on startup in the air, or is it only when grounded like MK's SL?

Really, I think the biggest thing Kirby users need to watch out for is getting comboed, for while both characters can combo each other, Mario's combos seem to hit much harder (though I don't know, Kirby's light enough that they may not affect him as much).
Mario, on the other hand, has to be careful in the air, since while both have good air games, Kirby's air game seems better, and his offstage game even better still, which *could* force Mario to stay grounded (I kind of doubt it would, since you could use SJP OoS, FLUDD, or the cape to get around our aerials), which is disadvantageous for him.

Seems fairly even to me, but again, I haven't actually played this matchup.

freddybones

Smash Journeyman
I can vouch for the repeated cape gimp. It's been done to me on more than one occasion already. ONly way I know to get out of it to Bair away from him hope that when he capes again he does it little late you're closer to him than he wanted so the Bair will hit.

Also Dairing the UpB will only work once, as you'll take the hit from his UpB as well. In the mean time, he can UpB again if he timed it right. For that to work enough to kill him, he would have to have been pretty far from the edge anyway.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'm guessing Mario's done now huh? Has Captan Falcon have a guide on us yet, (goes see).

IC3R

Smash Lord
Here's fromundaman's post on the Kirby vs. Craptain Failcon:

fromundaman said:
Not exactly a matchup I've played much, but Kirby vs Falcon will generally end badly for Falcon.

As was previously mentioned, Kirby can crouch under a lot of your attacks, and since Dtilt brings Kirby into a crouch, he can pretty much Dtilt a lot of Falcon's moves. Inhale will also pull Falcon out of a lot of his moves, but it has a long startup, so it really won't be used that often.

Also, I believe Kirby's Bair outranges all of Falcon's aerials except maybe his Uair, and is without a doubt one of our most used aerials.

If Falcon works like Ganon, then we should be able to Dair you out of your recovery, which makes gimping you really quite easy.
Also, does your UpB beat our stone? If not, then stone edgeguarding is also fairly effective.

Also, against Kirby you should expect Gonzo combos, and even after you are out of the percent range for it, be wary of our grabs. Kirby has a grab range that is abnormally large for his tiny arms and comes out quite fast.

We can also combo fairly well with other moves. For example, a FFed Fair, while it can be shieldgrabbed, leads into anything else if not shielded. Utilt combos into a Bair or itself. Dtilt can combo into grabs or Fsmashes, and Dair can combo into just about anything else.

While our hammer is powerful, it is very situational, and our Fsmash is most likely going to be our kill move. A hyphen Usmash seems to work fairly well too, but not too many Kirbies use it due to the ending lag (Dsmash is rarely seen due to a relatively low range and high ending lag.).

Hope that helps.

Edit: Oh, and just so you know, our version of the PAWNCH! makes us rise a little, so don't get caught off guard by a rising PAWNCH!.

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=220309

OMFG, DK's can use their aerial Up-B into a slanted floor and remain invincible throughout!!! :eek:
Why dont we have useful invincibility frames? Inhale invincibility FTL.

For falcon, his up b beats stone. I have a vid of it if you want. And it is not easy to gimp a good falcon. Seriously their recovery isnt bad at all. Never be under the edge when falcon is recovering. Falcon dive just eats up most everything and stage spikes =/. He gets super armor same as grabs on it.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Why dont we have useful invincibility frames? Inhale invincibility FTL.

For falcon, his up b beats stone. I have a vid of it if you want. And it is not easy to gimp a good falcon. Seriously their recovery isnt bad at all. Never be under the edge when falcon is recovering. Falcon dive just eats up most everything and stage spikes =/. He gets super armor same as grabs on it.
And don't forget, as fromundaman said, that he explodes your face.

Player-3

Smash Hero
falcons shouldnt approach with FK alot..

agaisnt kirby, id say 55-45 or 60-40 kirby isnt really that hard to me,

falcon doesnt really use his ground game too often (inb4jabgrab) but even then, most of the attacks a falcon will use on the ground will hit you
(dtilt, jab, grab, PAAWWWNCH(lol), kick,Utilt(wont be used unless you in the air), dsmash)

All falcon users favorite move is the PAWNCH.
but hes not going to use it competitively..

beware the knee...
dont think just because your tiny doesnt mean your not going to get a face full of arthritis

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yeah, I just realized we're discussing Kirby vs Captain Falcon, and Falcon is my second most played character (or possibly third, now that I've been playing Fox so much...)

Ok, so. I've seen some videos, played some good Falcons, done Falcon dittos, and played Kirby vs Falcon.

I feel extremely comfortable playing as Kirby against Captain Falcon, like I'm going to have a really easy win, one of the easiest characters to fight against.

When I'm playing as Falcon against Kirby, I sometimes win, but I just assume my opponent isn't very good, OR it's because wifi is craptastic, and I got lucky.

Yes, jab grab is good. Kirby is short though, so simply ducking beats that.

Falcon's Dtilt has great range, it's one of his best options on the ground.

Good Falcons will NOT approach with Falcon Kick a lot; it is extremely punishable, and so is Raptor Boost. That's like saying Kirbys use Final Cutter a lot. FK and RB are great moves to catch your opponent off-guard with, but if Kirby is at a low %, the low knockback combined with long ending lag means that Kirby has time to punish Falcon, even if his attack lands. Also, you should know that B-reversal Raptor Boost is better than regular, because it goes farther and I think faster.

Falcon's Utilt is an amazing move. It has a bit of startup lag, but it has awesome range, and low landing lag. I often spam it a few times in a row as an approach, because he moves forward when using it. People tend to fall for it, too. If you "sweetspot" (I guess) it with the tip of his heel, it's a great KO move at higher percents. And yeah, it's a good move if Kirby's in the air, or at a distance on the ground.

Copy or Starshot? Starshot, unless you're going to be cocky and attempt a PAWNCH ko. Also, he can Falcon Kick you immediately after you use Copy, so that's free damage for him. <3 thanks Sakurai

Kirby is a hard character to Knee because his aerials are so good, but at the same time, he's pretty easy to Knee because his aerial movement speed is pretty bad. His size doesn't really matter, as I think the Zeldas said when they talked about sweetspotting their Bair/Fair.

Falcon's Uair is a godlike move, it's got great range and is extremely fast. Owns our Dair.

Raptor Dive beats Stone.

Falcon's Dair is good, but Kirby's Uair will beat it one on one, because Uair is faster. Falcon can easily spike you with Dair if you try to recover with Final Cutter, so watch out.

Falcon's Nair is good...I'm not too good at using this move, so I can't say much about it. I tend to spam Knee when I play Falcon because the sweetspots are too epic >_> anyway, I hear that the first hit of Nair can lead into combos, because it has no landing lag. Nair also has good range, so watch out. It's fast.

Falcon's Bair is a good approach/defensive/KO move. It's fast and lagless.

If Falcon Fthrows you at low percents, make sure you don't fall for fthrow-regrab "combos" because you can escape it just by jabbing or something. His grab game is pretty good, and his pummel is similar to Kirby's. He doesn't have any true combos from his throws, but be careful if he mindgames you into them. Potential followups, if he reads you correctly (I'm improvising here): Uthrow->uair or Raptor Dive, Fthrow->dash attack or regrab, Dthrow->Knee.

Falcon's Dash attack is really good. It's fast, and stuff. Pretty punishable if you shield it, but isn't everyone's dash attack punishable?
lol unless you're MK, Snake, Diddy Kong, others probably

If Falcon stagespikes you while recovering with Raptor Dive, slap yourself across the face. He IS pretty easy to gimp: a well timed Dair will wreck him. Watch out for Raptor Boost spikes when he recovers...that move is risky.

Overall, I'm going to have to say 60:40 to 70:30 Kirby's favor because no matter how good Falcon's moves are, Kirby's grabs, combos, aerials, and gimping are just too much for him to handle. Plus, Kirby has an easier time KOing Falcon in general than Falcon does.

...I forgot to mention stuff, I have even MORE to type -_-

Falcon's Smashes are all pretty good, and all will KO at good percents. I don't know the exact numbers. I do know (think) that Falcon's Upsmash does 22% damage uncharged if he lands the whole thing. It also can slide far so watch out. Falcon's Fsmash is alright, and is a good KO move if he reads you correctly. Dsmash is probably his best KO move, as it hits both sides and is powerful.

Also, Raptor Dive (Up B) does 17% damage, and has an awesome range. I have a replay where I use it a grounded Up B on a computer Ike, and it looks like Falcon freaking teleports, the range is so long.

That's all I can think of for now, and it's more than enough @_@

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
70:30..............I would even go down to 20:80

this match-up is terrible, I know I play Percon's Kirby............geh
>_> I saw the name "Ayaz" and knew it was a Falcon (I don't know if you're good or not, sorry) but I expected some kind of critique on my last post, and possibly saying more positive things about Falcon, and I see...that :O

umm...ok. XD

I was being modest with 60:40, it may actually be 70:30. I edited my post to reflect that.

In all honesty...maybe Kirby is harder for Falcon to beat than MK is?

lol?

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
I don't know man, like in Rochester I couldn't lose to any Kirby's but Max's (Percon) will own my Falcon any day, I have to always counter Sonic

Falcon has grab release options on MK including a CG, but the board still thinks MK is 20:80..........

you people on the Kirby boards are way too modest, seriosuly Falcon is still a FF character allowing for more grab combo's.

I'm pretty much the only well placing Falcon in the scene right now, Rebaz is good but is lacking in the tournament department, however, has kick-*** vids where as I have none at all.

But that too...........I live in Niagara

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Kirby wins. I will say no number because 7/3 or 8/2 means easy street, it doesn't mean win.

If the Falcon wins you are nub of the highest caliber.

BTW Player 3 all the Kirby's you've played suck arse or you're insane. I'll assume the former.

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
Problem with the falcon smashes is the afterlag. And even start up lag. Especially on the fsmash. Only time i see a falcon landing that is if you roll behind him or something.

Isnt the problem against MK for falcon the lack of options against tornado? Start up of FK isnt that great of an option...

(Also isnt it falcon dive not raptor dive?)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
(Also isnt it falcon dive not raptor dive?)
oops. >_>

Raptor Boost...Falcon Dive...Falcon Pawnch...Falcon Kick...

Falcon Yesz!

@Falconv1.0: moneymatch an amazing Falcon and record it :p if you lose even one match I'll be sure to laugh at you, mwahahahaahahah

...but seriously, Falcon's probably Kirby's easiest matchup. And a lot of other characters too, poor Falcon :/

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
oops. >_>

Raptor Boost...Falcon Dive...Falcon Pawnch...Falcon Kick...

Falcon Yesz!

@Falconv1.0: moneymatch an amazing Falcon and record it :p if you lose even one match I'll be sure to laugh at you, mwahahahaahahah

...but seriously, Falcon's probably Kirby's easiest matchup. And a lot of other characters too, poor Falcon :/
But I am already nub of the highest caliber, I have nothing to prove. =/

But yeah, I cant think of an easier match.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Kirby wins. I will say no number because 7/3 or 8/2 means easy street, it doesn't mean win.

If the Falcon wins you are nub of the highest caliber.

BTW Player 3 all the Kirby's you've played suck arse or you're insane. I'll assume the former.
lol ive only played 3, theyre not HORRIBAD, and neither am i

i play a very ****ed up falcon though

70:3 or 75:25 it is?

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
uhhhhhh guys just stick with the numbers

you shouldn't crtique a character you don't main, Falcon's Fsmash is one of his best moves because of the range it has, it's after lag isn't pretty but has IASA frames.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Sticking with the numbers gets us no where. Teaches us nothing about the match up, what moves to look out for, nothing. Just tells us who has to work harder.

Falcon Fsmash as one of his best moves does not sound right...

I mean Jab, uair, nair, bair, utilt, dtilt, knee, dsmash and grab > fsmash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoL_ECJ0Y-M

I see a lack of fsmash there.
o_O

your basing falcons best moves..
on a FALCON combo video...
which is nothing but knees and punches...

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
No, i'm not basing it off a combo video. I'm just saying that no where did the falcon ever do anything fsmash related. The start up doesnt really let you punish things. I played falcon in melee, and when i played him in brawl first thing i noticed was fsmash was immensely slow.

Player-3

Smash Hero
No, i'm not basing it off a combo video. I'm just saying that no where did the falcon ever do anything fsmash related. The start up doesnt really let you punish things. I played falcon in melee, and when i played him in brawl first thing i noticed was fsmash was immensely slow.
fsmashes hitbox comes out faster than Dsmashes

Percon

Smash Lord
Hi Ayaz

Anyway, this matchup is in Kirby's favor, but Falcon can still do SOME stuff.

His uair is good. It kills pretty well if you're at a high % and it's fresh (if he just came back from dying, for example). Try not to be above him, though that shouldn't be hard.

Stay on the ground. Falcon's best ground attack is his jab, and while quick it's not super lethal. He can Jab > Grab though, though I'm not sure how well that works on Kirby.

Your main focus in early percents should be to get a grab and grab combo him. He's a fastfaller so it should be standard. After he's out of regular grab combo range, dthrow chase him and regrab or just land some spaced bairs and fairs for easy damage/chase him off the stage. Kill with an fsmash when he lands or an air hammer whenever since he seems to be pretty easy to get with those.

What I'm saying may sound standard but Falcon is a very standard matchup: He has very little to escape our usual/best stuff.

Things to watch our for:

-Fsmash/Dsmash while landing. He'll try to punish your aridodge. I find Dsmash to be more lethal, personally. Anyway, try to always have a jump or two left to avoid falling into these.

-Bair/Dair/(Fresh uair rarely): His main air kill moves. Knee is epic but hard to land so I didn't include it. Bair and dair are both quick and pack a decent punch. Watch for falling dairs if you try to recover: always recover high if possible (using air hammer and as few jumps as possible). Fresh uair is actually very hard to avoid so stay on the ground if you're at high percents and he just comes back. Avoid rolling in this case though because he'll just dsmash you.

-Falcon dive goes through a lot of stuff and does like 17 damage... but if he misses it's a free usmash/fsmash/grab for you. Don't use stone in this matchup.

-Falcon kick is an ok surprise move...

-Falcon Punch is the best attack in the game; if he uses it, there's pretty much no escape...

That's about it? It's not the worst for Falcon, but it's obviously in our favour.

65:45?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Unless more Falcon mains come in here, I guess that pretty much sums it up. Percon's post was ALMOST as good as mine :D

His Knee is mostly used to punish. So don't use Final Cutter at high percentages...or don't use it at all, and you'll be fine.

65:35 sounds good, in order to give the Falcons some hope :[

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
-__- at least Fox and Link have projectile games and reliable kill moves...

I'm edging toward 70-30, if only because the Falcon board has it at that. Percon and Asd, thanks for your inputs.

Who are we doing next week? I have Bowser slated first, and after that we have:
Samus
ICs
Ness
Luigi
Jiggly
Link
Sonic

I'm not voting yet

Top Bottom