• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Official Kirby Matchup Rankings AND GUIDE Thread! :: OMGOMGOMG! We're done!

platiepoos

Smash Apprentice
Er....

This is the stupidest thing I've ever said, but what's this "Shoryuken" thing I keep hearing about in Luigi discussion?

Also, is there really that much of a difference between his angled smashes? I never noticed. Currently, I see nothing particularly interesting about this matchup except for "Don't run in recklessly or you'll be fsmashed."

@DFat1: I know, I just thought I'd at least put what I knew myself. Take everything i said in any way you want. Hopefully my parents will let me go to a tourney sometime soon and/or I'll get wi-fi (yeah, i know it sucks) so I can get experience against more experienced players than my friends.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Luigi's air game beats kirby's.
His lightweight characteristics make him hard to get combo'd.
His horizontal recovery is greatly aided by his sideB, and his vertical recovery has upB and downB (which, if used correctly, covers a hugeamount of vertical area).
His fsmash is incredibly powerful, not to mention fast.
He can combo his upB, his ace_in_the_hole, and land safely if he misses and knows what he's doing.
He can do two attacks in a single short hop... Which wouldn't be a big deal, until you notice he doesn't have landing lag, and his air attacks clash with kirby's.
He has a good projectile, which can be spammed if he so wishes it.

IMO, and in mine alone, this is definitely one of kirby's hardest matchups. I'd give it a 40/60 or 35/65, Luigi's favor... I have good experiece in this matchup, and it's a very hard one.

If I wasn't so proud of kirby, I would even go as low as 30/70.

8BitRevolver

Smash Journeyman
Er....

This is the stupidest thing I've ever said, but what's this "Shoryuken" thing I keep hearing about in Luigi discussion?

0_0 what...
to answer your question its the super jump punch

This match is probably 45:50 kirby or 50:50

He's one of the hardest to combo since the f grab to u air doesnt work, so starting up the combo is kinda hard unless you can read your opponent correctly. Their nair works as a nice combo breaker as well. so to get pass this kirby just has to abuse bair and his tilts.

We can kill him pretty early with smashes and hammers because he is in the middle weight class.A well placed dair into his down b can gimp him. This also goes equal for luigi since kirby is so light and they have some pretty epic mindgames placing those f smashes and up b's.

This match is pretty much who can combo first and lands the first f smash :laugh:
Kirby also cant jab lock luigi... who is this guy lol

edit: @Kewkky
kirby's bair can get through just about every airial luigi has with the exception of maybe his nair. Both of them have hurt boxes in their airials so kirby's long reach on the bair will just eat through luigis airials. IMO kirby's air game wrecks luigi's because of his better air camp.

also punishing his up b is incredibley easy to do since they can only go left and right, so if they ever miss they wont get off easy.

luigi's spam game is pretty awful because the fireballs are so slow and only go straight making it very easy to perfect sheild and maybe crouch under it if they do and airial one.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I find it a 50-50 at best or 55-45 in either way or through the use of CPs. Can't be anywhere 60-40 unless its a beastly CP. Airgames are pretty equal, kirbys fsmash is godly just to as luigi's fsmash lolz. its funny how all the boards are starting to do luigi since he seems to be last now lmfao
Kirby and Luigi are quite similar. His aerials **** ours though. I think we have a better gimp/ground game though.

50-50 for now.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Heh heh, three of my best friends, and four more of my friends main Luigi, I know this match up very well. Oh god he's anoying to fight because he's hard to grab combo with, (his N-Air can cancel most of them), but at least his comebacks are easily pridictable, you know, Jump>Down-B>Up-B or Side-B>Jump>Up-B/Down-B, that's how most of Luigi's comebacks are, (Michael Jordan I'll say...). Also, of course Luigi's attack range out best ours, as for his Smash attacks, his F-Smash is deadly, if hit fresh, you'll die at a good 80% most of the time depending on what stage, (some stages it's eariler than that). Now a little for our advantage, Kirby has more easier killing moves than Luigi does, sadly, Luigi has more suprise killing moves than Kirby, (Up-B, Side-B etc), but it's hard to land on Kirby most of the time. Of course, King of the Sky's Kirby wins in air battle due to multi jumps, but that doesn't mean that Luigi is going to lose quietly in the air though.

But yea, no mater how badly I beaten all my friends Luigi's, it's always a match they give me hell because I forgot how good Luigi is, that and I use to main Luigi so I should know it's not an easy win to count. 50-50 I'll say.

platiepoos

Smash Apprentice
Shoryuken is just the super jump punch? thought it was some amazing tech. *extremely dissapointed*
Luigi can nair himself out of our throw combos iirc. He outprioritizes Kirby in the air, kills him quickly, and has a projectile, which is hella' fun to copy in my opinion. :D Viper, sounds like you have a lot of experience. How would you describe the more specific aspects of fighting luigi i.e. approaching, spacing, outprioritizing, gimping, etc. And what is the most difficult part of fighting Kirby from the eyes of a Luigi main? We need more Weegee players in here!

Atash

Smash Apprentice
Did someone call for a wall of text?

RANDOM:

Well - for one, I'd like to say that when it comes down to an attention starved 'fraidy-cat versus an eternally high pink puffball, you know there's going to be some shenanigans (the word is BACK!) involved.

So, recently, actually, one of my friends decided to take up Kirby. To mock him, I decided to play as Kirby a bit as well... And Kirby is epic! He's a little puffball with feet of pwnage, hammers of justice, lungs of titanic capacity, and stubby arms of... Well, his stubby arms don't do jack. But that's besides the point! He's so cute and cuddly and ooooohhh I just wanna hug him!

There goes my masculinity, flying out the window...

ACTUAL POST:

What follows is a general overview - it doesn't go too in depth regarding the match-up. I'll get more specific with my theorycraft later if need be. :-D

As far as I have seen, Kirby and Luigi have roughly equivalent air games. Luigi is a bit more responsive with less lag at the end of his attacks (he can throw out a lot more), and Kirby has longer range and larger hit boxes (doesn't need to throw out as much).

Kirby has a true wall of pain, while Luigi only has a pseudo wall of pain. Obviously, Luigi's pseudo is no match for Kirby's true. Kirby can easily gimp Luigi if the Luigi isn't uber careful while recovering, and even then, Kirby can still gimp Luigi. My reasoning for this will be elaborated later on in this post.

Luigi's early kills with the incredibly fast (and hard to punish) ^F-smash and Up-B (Kirby should die off of the top of Final Destination at around 40-50% with this, but the helplessness means Luigi better have a back-up plan if it isn't a 'sure thing') answer well the challenge of Kirby's true wall of pain.

On the ground, the two are pretty much equal. Kirby has long reach with his awesome F-smash, can grab into combos, Up-B into combos, combo into combos that go to the air, stay on the ground, etc. Luigi can jab into combos, grab into combos, and immediately take Kirby to the air for combos into yet other combos (which isn't part of his 'ground game' per se, but it's close enough to be considered as such). A Luigi combo (excluding the jab combo) that stays on the ground will either end with an F-tilt, a smash, or the godly SHORYUUKEN!!!. A Kirby combo on the ground has roughly the same ending, with the obvious exclusion of the ability to smite enemies with energy equivalent to hard hitting dance music at a rave club filled to the brim with Mackies (by which I mean, **** high energy).

Both characters on the ground have epic smashes (with a lean towards Luigi on versatility, Kirby in range due to his freaking F-smash): Luigi has a farther reaching and more useful D-smash (hitting with the tip of his foot from the front pulls the enemy behind and above Luigi - perfect for B-air spam at low-moderate damages), Kirby's F-smash is incredibly quick and kills nicely (~100%, from center of Final Destination, yes?), Luigi's F-smash (angled upwards of course) is almost like a 'win' button, and Luigi's U-smash can be 'DAC'd and overall has more range than Kirby's (useful for chasing people trying to land). Kirby's D-smash and U-smash are decent moves with decent knockback and decently are out-powered and out-ranged by his F-smash.

Regarding combos, Luigi has faster combos (aerial) that tend to stack up damage more readily than Kirby's combos (from what I've seen) stemming from his lower end-lag. He also has, like everyone has been saying, auto-canceling attacks with very lenient timing. In the air, he's probably the winner. On the ground, if he starts a combo up, the trajectory should generally lead the combatants into the air... Just something to consider.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, why is Luigi easily gimped in my opinion? Well, his side-B recovery doesn't pass through anyone, for one. If (uncharged or slightly charged) it hits Kirby off the side of the stage, Luigi is going to be stuck somewhere off-stage with a Kirby somewhere above and in front of him. At low and moderate percents, disregarding the 1/8th chance of a misfire (which by the way, absolutely no good Luigi relies on unless totally desperate and/or hoping for some lawls), this means the Kirby can just come back along to the Luigi to attempt to gimp him again. However, decently charged missiles have decent knockback, so if a Luigi is charging a missile to release it as a way to sweet spot the edge, the Kirby is better off camping the edge. Oh, and have fun punishing any Luigi with poor enough luck to get his head stuck in some wall beneath the edge.

From below the stage, his Tornado recovery is predictable, and doesn't have very good side-to-side maneuverability (also, I believe that Kirby's down-aerial can pile drive a Tornado-ing Luigi straight into the blast-zones of hell). After he uses the Tornado once in the air, he can't use it again for the sake of recovery (this excludes the infinite tornado jump, which I haven't found much application for anyway [it requires solid ground :-/ ]). Thus, his recovery is then limited to his Up-B or a double jump if he still has it. I believe the correct term is, 'lather, rinse, repeat'?

From above the stage - okay, he won't be so easily gimped from here. His aerial superiority (however slight), should be more than enough to get him back to the stage. Oh, and a note I forgot to mention about recovering from the side - Luigi can just tornado above the stage from that point and come back, way too high for Kirby to reach in time to B-air wall of pain (but not high enough to avoid all punishment).

Really though, that isn't to say that Luigi is at a total disadvantage to Kirby off-stage. He just needs to be... more careful. Luigi's home should be on-stage in this match-up as far as I can tell. What I said above was really oversimplifying it, but... ya know. It's theorycraft.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to agree with what the previous people have said and say 50:50. Going along with what Hippie said, certain stages are going to accentuate certain characters' strengths. Personally, I'm of the opinion that Luigi's off-stage game isn't a match for Kirby, unless the Luigi is skilled with spiking and recovering, and even then, it still isn't a fair match... :-(

However, Luigi's on-stage game seems superior. He has more versatility on the ground (may still be at a disadvantage to Kirby - I never said anything about Kirby's tilts in this whole post, and they're nice tilts that actually have *gasp* range!), and quicker combos and aerials. His early kills are achieved on-stage.

I'm going to say that this match is based on momentum, the ratio of empty space to stage, and who knows better how to control which realm at which time. It's a match of wits and mental versatility.

Some curious specifics I found/tested:

Kirby's B-air and Luigi's B-air pass through each other - it's an exchange of hits.

Luigi's U-tilt (from the front) clashes with Kirby's F-smash once the fist has passed the angle of 45 degrees from vertical until the end of the attack (oh, and Luigi's clash animation after it looks funny - but Luigi's always funny looking :-D). To be more specific, when Kirby to the left of Luigi (facing Kirby) contacts Luigi's stomach area with his foot while Luigi's fist is located at 2:30 or later, there's a clash. Timing is hard though in my opinion...

Kirby's grab range exceeds Luigi's (Wha? No wai! *cough* duh...).

From original position to furthest reaching point of hit-box, Luigi's B-air outranges Kirby's B-air (Luigi pivots around his upper body - around his shoulders actually [and Luigi is tall]; Kirby doesn't pivot much if at all).

SUMMARY:

I think it's stage dependent...

That's all I can think of for now. I'll get a little more specific later... For now, feel free to bash things I've said that are wrong. :-D

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Good posts.

... ... *can't think of anything else to say*

I was going to ask for aerial comparisons, but you did it pretty well. What about Luigi's Fair/Nair, how does Kirby's Bair/Fair compete with those?

Who has an advantage when one character is below the other in the air? I think whoever is below has the advantage in this matchup...both characters have faster/better Uairs than Dair.

I disagree with Kirby being able to "Up-B into combos" >_>

Don't forget that Kirby can Copy Luigi's fireball, and in this case (as with many projectiles) Kirby can use it even better than its owner.

50-50 still sounds good, all of Luigi's pros makes me wonder why there aren't more people placing high with him, he's really good...

Or 100-0 Kirby

TheFast

Smash Lord
I was almost positive Shoryuken was his up-b sweetspotted. Since is almost the same as Shoryuken in Streetfighter. What is this super jump glitch talk?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
It's not a glitch >_> that's just what they like to call it

I wish I was more knowledgable about 2d fighter games, but sadly I've never liked them very much...

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I'd say its about even. Luigi seems to have the slight advantage though, mostly because N-air ruins Kirby's grab combo game, which is Kirby's strong point. 55-45 Luigi.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Atash post pretty much covers up the whole Luigi match up, and I wanted it to last longer. >.>

But yea, 50-50 or 55-45 Kirby sounds just about right about now.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
This matchup thread is very interesting. Keep it up, Kirby community. I hope to contribute as well... but my contributions would probably just be from theory instead of matchup experience.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
This matchup thread is very interesting. Keep it up, Kirby community. I hope to contribute as well... but my contributions would probably just be from theory instead of matchup experience.
That's perfectly fine. The more people that contribute, the better. We need all the help we can get with all the newer members flooding the Kirby boards. :3

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I vote Ness :p I'd be able to help a lot with that one. At least for that one I have a lot of exp. under my belt. Hahah
I wonder what else I have under my belt

Percon

Smash Lord
Sorry I didn't help with Luigi but I don't know that matchup too well.

Oh yeah, and I fought a couple sonics at CoT4 for I'm feeling pretty good about that.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Haha, either way is fine with me!

BTW Haha hi Kirby mains! I switched my main back to Kirby again <3 I've been maining Sheik again for a while but Kirby is just too good.

For Sonic I'd probably just listen more than contribute.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I vote for Sonic.
Second vote for Spamus

I actually remember doing both the Sonic and Ness matchups in their respective boards...but that was months ago. I remember Ness being 50:50, and I think it still is. I don't remember what Sonic was...slightly in Kirby's favor I think.

Sonic is so annoying, especially on wifi @_@

Browny

Smash Hater
Everytime you absorb Sonic (do it, Kirby sonic looks awesome lol) We can drop a spring on your head. not that it means much... but hopefully all Sonic's know that you can actually do that :)

Sonic can spring out of Kirbys usual combos at about 20-25%

umm thats about all I know lol, dont play too many Kirbys. Kirbs fsmash is OP btw

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
The invasion, is already happening. This thread shall be spammed with Steak until the end of time now that the green light has been distributed.

:ike: Prepare yourselves.

Anyway seriously now I'm glad to be back here, really I am.

So looking at Maestro's post on our boards, he requested we put it in said format, and so shall it be done.

Character: Steak

Difficulty rating: 3/5

OverSwarmview: Sonic does not and I would think could not camp, although he probably could and should play patiently in certain circumstances. Sonic is mainly an offensive character because that's just what he is, what with his Speed and all, so it's best not to get too comfortable in one set place. Kirby I would think has no projecttile to force an approach or a good one at that, so it's up to the players what they want to do.

Pros+Cons: Speed...
+18th heaviest character as well as momentum-cancels to allow him to live just as long as Kirby if not longer... maybe.
+Mindgames, they do apply when you have the magnitude of Sonic's.
+Very good grab game.
+Great recovery/offstage game.
+The ability to pursuit any character at any point of the map and within a reasonable time as well as having a couple of methods of running away or retreating/retracting and recoiling for the assault again.

-Commited aerial approaches.
-Mediocre shield pressure (though I heard Kirby has one of the best shields in the game, I don't know you're character to that extent).
-Lack of reliable K.O. moves.
-When you can punish him, he can get punished hard and it's very hard for him to turn the tide of war if he loses the upper hand.
-Dare I say range to a degree.

Watch out for:
His spin attacks, and yes it will cost you if you have to ask the question "what's the difference between the attacks?" This applies to all of his attacks that make that trademark noise of his because it adds to his mindgames and fakeouts.

Bair, his most ranged aerial, 3rd best K.O. move when not decayed, gimps/stagespikes, can still kill if he hits you offstage with it. It is amazing it is, and to mention some more things about it is that it is lagless when used right, good damage, can be followed up from some stuff/ leads into things. An example what some would call "Boxobairs", where if it is decayed can be constantly used and chains into more Bairs.

Dair can pseudo-spike, get Sonic down to the ground quickly from a Spring-Jump, lagless on landing if done from such a height.

Speaking of Spring-Jump, it gets very good vertical distance and reasonable horizontal distance, even moreso with a little extra boost from using an AD/aerial that isn't Dair. Although usually used as a last resort, it can be used a little commonly as well, afterall the Spring itself is a projectile that has many uses, the most obvious being that extra 4% damage while getting Sonic out of a tight spot... like some of these CGs I heard Kirby has, though I am unaware of it really works or a lot of Kirbies are just not frame perfect with such stuff. Oh my God I'm going to fill up this page with all the uses, but I suppose you want to know everything so you can be fully prepared. Anyway the Spring projectile can lead into a follow-up Dair, or if the Dair doesn't connect and though very situational can set you up for a jab-lock. Don't get careless with recovery from a low angle or you might end up getting stage-spiked by a Spring.

Fair just has some decent knockback, still not enough to kill but anyway racks up damage nicely and a little bit of shield pressure of you count that. Better hold that R button for the whole attack.

Nair... simply just his aerial GTFO move, but some other small tidbits are that it has the least landing lag of all his aerials, is his sex-kick even though he isn't sticking out his leg like Mario would.

Uair can Star K.O. from a Spring-Jump, another spacing tool that has decent horizontal range and can outprioritize things like your Dair if spaced correctly if not trade hits at worst... which is not hard to do since it is very fast.

FSmash is his best K.O. move. Little bit disjointed at the tip of the fist. Can be stutter-stepped and angled up or down. Not his fastest attack but it's okay.

DSmash is great for punishing roll/spotdodges and bad habits of the like. His second best K.O. move although leaves him quite vulnerable if the hit doesn't connect.

FTilt is his best spacing tool on the ground, and does 10% damage if both hits connect (yes it does have two hitboxes, the one farther away from his body does 7% damage).

UTilt can stop most aerial approaches with it's disjoint at the shoes. Not used too often due to it's major ending lag.

DTilt is another spacing while not as great as FTilt in terms of range, does lead into chain attacks.

Beware his pummels, only Lucas has a better DPS (Damage per Second) ratio. Refreshes his K.O. moves thanks to it's speed, and does 3% per pummel so it makes it all the more easier to kill you. Speaking of his grabs, U-Throw does 12% damage and can kill when you just won't die.

D-Throw leads to follow-ups if you don't tend to DI down and tech it.

B-Throw is just a terrible throw that does only 8% damage and is a bad offstage setup at that.

Never expect F-Throw to be used except on that rare occasion they want to try to trick you. Don't even worry about it at low %s. Simple 9% damage.

How to win: You spam DTilt! Use those fantastic CGs that are always guaranteed to rack-up damage, as well as harassing Sonic when he recovers. Sure you won't kill him often but you mgiht as well try to do SOMETHING. You have an easier time landing your K.O. moves, as well as being able to kill Sonic with such attacks. Don't panic, stay calm, and pay a lot of attention to the particular player's habits. If you can grab Sonic out of his Spring jump and don't hit him, just let him fall to his doom.

Spit out or Swallow?: Do whatever you want, unless Sonic is at a very high %age to the point where you have to end up taking you with him with a Swallow-cide, you will not be killing Sonic this way as long as he has his jump and the Spring... or he didn't do it right. His Homing attack is a very bad move and you should only steal this ability as some kind of terrible mindgame or as a joke. At least Kirby has a better HA then Sonic does because when Kirby hits something that isn't the ground, he bounces high enough where he can't be punished. I use HA as a stall in the air when I am recovering and it doesn't lock-on to an opponent, maybe you can too. If you must swallow Sonic though, make sure you have the Blue Kirby, because that just looks so BA.

What NOT to do: Mindlessly throw out attacks and/or whiff them. Actually let me save you the trouble and never take the advice of the false SBR and you're G2G.

Stages:
Jungle Japes.

If that's not available, just go with whatever stage Kirby/you do good on.

Synopsis: I really don't know the matchup, but my opinion is just that it is even. Of course there will be people who refute but eh...
Hope that helps.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Yes, prepare & beware. :093:

I guess this is where being "THE Sonikirb" comes in handy. ;)

Basic Terms (you won't understand this w/o them):
SD = Spin Dash (Side-B)
SC = Spin Charge (Down-B)
SDC = Spin Dash Cancel
ASC = Aerial Spin Charge
SD Combo = Any move used out of a SD or a SC

IMO This match-up really depends on the kind of Sonic you're playing.

There's the wifi-nub Sonic, who is annoying beyond reason.
We've all seen them. Spin Charge --> SD Combo --> Spring --> D-Air --> Rinse & repeat

Kirby can usually stop them by camping back & timing Vulcan Jabs & Bairs to stop his SC spamming. After you've successfully shutdown his Spin Dash game, play him like you would a Captain Falcon.

Now you've got the normal Sonics next.
Their play style is much less annoying, but much less predictable too. They'll still SC a good bit, but they'll play more mind games and Sonic is a master of mind games if used right. You'll see mainly SCs, close range SDs, F-Tilts, & F-Smashes.

Watch out for those close range SDs. The hop at the beginning has invincibility frames & can be canceled into a SD Combo. Kirby gets destroyed offstage by Homing Attacks. There's not much Kirby can do unless you know how to float jump. (Jump & dodge at the same time[looks like a melee air dodge])
Stick to the air & use your tilts to counter his speed.

Okay, now before I get into this last portion, you should know that the "stereotype" that Sonic is harder to fight online, for the most part, is not true. Sonic is much harder to play as online due to his dependence on perfect timing. Which is why the wifi Sonic, while you may think is good but annoying, is actually considered garbage among "pro" Sonic mains.

Okay, now for The "Pro" Sonics. The Mind****ers. The Lag Punishers. The Steak Makers.
We constantly mix up our play styles based on the situation, but in this match-up, Sonic is usually in control of the match making Kirby play defense. Offline, Sonic's grab game is off the charts. Because of his speed he can D-throw you & tech chase you so well, it might as well be considered a chain grab. (This is what I was talking about. Wifi Sonic blows)

There's not much Kirby can do to take advantage of a great Sonic. It's a very even match-up. Sonic beats Kirby's air game. All he has to approach with from the air is B-Air, but I think Sonic's Up-Air might out-range it. (It's disjointed hitboxes are like Marth's Up-Smash) You HAVE to punish Sonic's end lag to win this. Just spamming Valcun Jab & Inhale won't work because Sonic can easily jump out of his SD & Bair or Dair you before you can move again. (Especially with Inhale) If you can predict a SD Combo coming, you can counter with a Bair before they hit you. If they're stupid enough to Homing Attack onstage, sidestep it & punish it even with an F-Smash. Other than that stick to the basics. D-Airs are good for stopping SDs/SCs. Try and grab him when you get the chance. Honestly Kirby vs Sonic ends up feeling like Kirby vs Meta Knight. Spacing glore.

All and all my verdict for the match-up of my 2 favorite characters is:

Wifi: 60/40 Kirby's Favor
Sonic loses a lot of options on wifi. But it's nearly impossible to grab his Spin Dashes online. Not an equal trade off, but he's still a decent character on wifi none the less.

Offline: 55-50/45-50 Kirby's Favor
Sonic is at full strength offline. Incredible grab game, virtually lagless moves. Much easier & efficient SD Combos. But Kirby's coming in strong too. A very close and even match-up. Always a blast to play and at least interesting to watch.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Matchups only add to 95 BlazeKat?

I learned something new today, and it didn't have to do with Sonic :)

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
It looks like an even matchup to me. Kirby needs to no be predictable with his approach, because bairs will get punished if sonic gets to see it coming. Upsmash stuffs this move hard. early game, kirby will have to adjust his grab combo because sonic can get out earlier than most due to spring. also, be wary of overusing airdodges, especially after low percent throws, because the sonics of today created effective mindagames that can pummel most characters reliance of it, and can setup damage similar or higher than kirbys grab setup. It is very winnable, but the key factor is spacing. Vulcan Jab is a cool move to use at close range IMO against sonic because they are usually fishing for grabs.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
My boy xiivi ends up playing kirby against me alot and for the most part, i feel that the matchup is really even, and possibly even in sonics favor, but than xiivi noticed thats hes losing and decides to go ahead and pitch up the tent and go into chu mode.

normally when i play xiivis kirby, im winning for the good majority of teh match, we keep it close because a lot of the time, sonic has a good answer to everything that kirby can do. and theres a lot of setups that sonic has on kirby, for example, kirby is one of the few characters that sonic can reliably air release out of a grab, and when that happens, sonic gets a free guaranteed f air. This is i feel because sonic is a really good character when it comes to constant agression, and it seems that kirby doesnt really have a great method of dealing with said aggression.

Sonic can punish just about anything kirby does. and aside from his f smash, sonic seems to kill kirby before kirby kills sonic. Sonic has great survival methods as well.

of course, everything about this match pretty much goes out the window, as soon as the kirby decides to pitch the tent and start camping with bairs. sonic really doesnt have and answer to that, they can either have really good timing and dash attack you as you land, or have perfect timing and use our 1 invincibility frame and eat the bair with our up smash. either way, camping with back airs, is always in kirbys favor.

matchup number
sonic v. normal kirby
55-45 sonics favor

sonic v. chudat (bair campy kirby)
either 55-45 or 60-40 kirbys favor.

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
Note: I use Kirby as a secondary.

Character: Sonic vs Kirby
Difficulty rating: 55:45 Sonic to 45:55 Kirby
Overview: Sonic has at least 4 different playstyles that I see him use. I see run emphasis ala bait/punish, SDC emphasis outside your range as another form of b/p, SH U-air and then there's the grab game we have / powershield / techchase. While Sonic can't really camp [lol no horizontal projectiles], he can hit and run like a b if he has to. Basically ... Sonic is a very mobile character, and he can basically do whatever he wants whenever.
Pros+Cons: Take advantage of knowing we'll be going after you as soon as you do something laggy. your jab beats out ours. U/S-smash is your friend. If we're above you, well that's what you want; your U-air will beat our Dair plus we're waay slower in the air than on the ground.
Watch out for: most of our approaches are gonna either be: 1) canceled or 2) lead to a grab. SH Bair should work pretty well.
How to win: Dtilt I mean play re-actively I guess.
Spit out or Swallow?: Sonic can recover from ... everything. That said, Blue Kirby with the sonic hat takes the 2nd spot on the Steak Tier.
What NOT to do: Our power rating goes over 9000 when you try to Side Taunt. Seriously though ... Don't try too hard to air combo us. Because we'll spring out of it. Easily.
Stages: CP Jungle Jungle hands down. Close Side blast zones for Fsmash, we can't run too well, our gimp game is destroyed. Plus ... Kirby -> Inhale kirbycide on that stage is the lulz. We will ban Brinstar. Otherwise I'd say take sonic there. We're not too bad there though.
Synopsis: Don't fall for the **** we try to do.
Edit: I took out the obvious wrong stuff.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
a note on kirbys Homing attack.

its WAYYYY less punishable than sonics, if it gets shielded, kirby practically goes to the top of the screen, but if we out run or spot dodge the homing attack, you get terrible lag that is easily punished with a multitude of moves, just like the original

also, sonics f tilt out ranges all of kirbys non f smash ground moves.

as for stages, im going to be CPing kirby to stages with a small ceiling, like halberd, because kirby seems to be hard to hit with sonics kill moves, so many times im pushed to resort to upthrow KOs, and ill need a stage that helps me with that

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
We do not have to approach, Kirby does not have any projectile that does that kind of thing.

Our "bad priority" is so March/April. We seriously have it halfway decent, if not make it better due to our speed. Like putting make-up on a girl to make something look better than it actually seems, and give the illusion we have priority on our attacks.

We're actually the 6th fastest character in the game, what makes Sonic seem slow is his bad aerial acceleration.

Kongo Jungle don exits in Barlw.

Brinstar goes either way, seeing as how Sonic loses his killing problem. This doesn't help his opponent, especially considering this time around it's Kirby.

I am sad and bored that there is little refute. Raiding this place without any resistance is not exciting, no no no. Even if we get it right, I just wanna argue for the lulz.

Oh and apparently you can't quote inside a Quote, So I'll go ahead and steal my own post out of teh quotebox for an easier time to individually point out my points.

Character: Steak

Difficulty rating: 3/5

OverSwarmview: Sonic does not and I would think could not camp, although he probably could and should play patiently in certain circumstances. Sonic is mainly an offensive character because that's just what he is, what with his Speed and all, so it's best not to get too comfortable in one set place. Kirby I would think has no projecttile to force an approach or a good one at that, so it's up to the players what they want to do.

Pros+Cons: Speed...
+18th heaviest character as well as momentum-cancels to allow him to live just as long as Kirby if not longer... maybe.
+Mindgames, they do apply when you have the magnitude of Sonic's.
+Very good grab game.
+Great recovery/offstage game.
+The ability to pursuit any character at any point of the map and within a reasonable time as well as having a couple of methods of running away or retreating/retracting and recoiling for the assault again.

-Commited aerial approaches.
-Mediocre shield pressure (though I heard Kirby has one of the best shields in the game, I don't know you're character to that extent).
-Lack of reliable K.O. moves.
-When you can punish him, he can get punished hard and it's very hard for him to turn the tide of war if he loses the upper hand.
-Dare I say range to a degree.

Watch out for:
His spin attacks, and yes it will cost you if you have to ask the question "what's the difference between the attacks?" This applies to all of his attacks that make that trademark noise of his because it adds to his mindgames and fakeouts.

Bair, his most ranged aerial, 3rd best K.O. move when not decayed, gimps/stagespikes, can still kill if he hits you offstage with it. It is amazing it is, and to mention some more things about it is that it is lagless when used right, good damage, can be followed up from some stuff/ leads into things. An example what some would call "Boxobairs", where if it is decayed can be constantly used and chains into more Bairs.

Dair can pseudo-spike, get Sonic down to the ground quickly from a Spring-Jump, lagless on landing if done from such a height.

Speaking of Spring-Jump, it gets very good vertical distance and reasonable horizontal distance, even moreso with a little extra boost from using an AD/aerial that isn't Dair. Although usually used as a last resort, it can be used a little commonly as well, afterall the Spring itself is a projectile that has many uses, the most obvious being that extra 4% damage while getting Sonic out of a tight spot... like some of these CGs I heard Kirby has, though I am unaware of it really works or a lot of Kirbies are just not frame perfect with such stuff. Oh my God I'm going to fill up this page with all the uses, but I suppose you want to know everything so you can be fully prepared. Anyway the Spring projectile can lead into a follow-up Dair, or if the Dair doesn't connect and though very situational can set you up for a jab-lock. Don't get careless with recovery from a low angle or you might end up getting stage-spiked by a Spring.

Fair just has some decent knockback, still not enough to kill but anyway racks up damage nicely and a little bit of shield pressure of you count that. Better hold that R button for the whole attack.

Nair... simply just his aerial GTFO move, but some other small tidbits are that it has the least landing lag of all his aerials, is his sex-kick even though he isn't sticking out his leg like Mario would.

Uair can Star K.O. from a Spring-Jump, another spacing tool that has decent horizontal range and can outprioritize things like your Dair if spaced correctly if not trade hits at worst... which is not hard to do since it is very fast.

FSmash is his best K.O. move. Little bit disjointed at the tip of the fist. Can be stutter-stepped and angled up or down. Not his fastest attack but it's okay.

DSmash is great for punishing roll/spotdodges and bad habits of the like. His second best K.O. move although leaves him quite vulnerable if the hit doesn't connect.

FTilt is his best spacing tool on the ground, and does 10% damage if both hits connect (yes it does have two hitboxes, the one farther away from his body does 7% damage).

UTilt can stop most aerial approaches with it's disjoint at the shoes. Not used too often due to it's major ending lag.

DTilt is another spacing while not as great as FTilt in terms of range, does lead into chain attacks.

Beware his pummels, only Lucas has a better DPS (Damage per Second) ratio. Refreshes his K.O. moves thanks to it's speed, and does 3% per pummel so it makes it all the more easier to kill you. Speaking of his grabs, U-Throw does 12% damage and can kill when you just won't die.

D-Throw leads to follow-ups if you don't tend to DI down and tech it.

B-Throw is just a terrible throw that does only 8% damage and is a bad offstage setup at that.

Never expect F-Throw to be used except on that rare occasion they want to try to trick you. Don't even worry about it at low %s. Simple 9% damage.

How to win: You spam DTilt! Use those fantastic CGs that are always guaranteed to rack-up damage, as well as harassing Sonic when he recovers. Sure you won't kill him often but you mgiht as well try to do SOMETHING. You have an easier time landing your K.O. moves, as well as being able to kill Sonic with such attacks. Don't panic, stay calm, and pay a lot of attention to the particular player's habits. If you can grab Sonic out of his Spring jump and don't hit him, just let him fall to his doom.

Spit out or Swallow?: Do whatever you want, unless Sonic is at a very high %age to the point where you have to end up taking you with him with a Swallow-cide, you will not be killing Sonic this way as long as he has his jump and the Spring... or he didn't do it right. His Homing attack is a very bad move and you should only steal this ability as some kind of terrible mindgame or as a joke. At least Kirby has a better HA then Sonic does because when Kirby hits something that isn't the ground, he bounces high enough where he can't be punished. I use HA as a stall in the air when I am recovering and it doesn't lock-on to an opponent, maybe you can too. If you must swallow Sonic though, make sure you have the Blue Kirby, because that just looks so BA.

What NOT to do: Mindlessly throw out attacks and/or whiff them. Actually let me save you the trouble and never take the advice of the false SBR and you're G2G.

Stages:
Jungle Japes.

If that's not available, just go with whatever stage Kirby/you do good on.

Synopsis: I really don't know the matchup, but my opinion is just that it is even. Of course there will be people who refute but eh...

Top Bottom