• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up discussion #11: Wario

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Let's do Wario now...

I've heard many opinions about this match-up. Some people insist, that Wolf has an advantage, which I disagree with. The main argument is, that Wolfs spacing and Shine counters stop Wario. They forget however, that Warios mobility in the air can screw your spacing, if you don't know how to face him.

Other say, that Warios strong aerials and the Shield pressure destroy Wolf. These people however forget, that Wolf is strong in the air himself and has more options in defense, than merely his shield.

It's a very open battle in my opinion. Both have lots of possiblities to work around each others weaknesses, so it pretty much comes down to player skill. A neutral match-up in my opinion. I'll give a minimal advantage to Wario however, since he has a little bit more finishing options than Wolf (Fsmash, Uair and Waft...).

This match-up is...neutral (unless you're fighting Reflex, Futile or DMG...you're at a major disadvantage then...)

45:55...(Warios favour)

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Meh... I don't have much of an opinion on this one. Both of these characters have crap on each other.

Will hopefully go into detail more... I got crap to do atm >_>
------------

Yeah, I'll go with the 55:45 Wario's favor. Wolf has more of the horizontal hitboxes that Wario can't deal too well with, while Wario has the vertical hitboxes that Wolf can't deal too well with, though, Wario has a better recovery, and is heavier than Wolf, not by too much though.

So eh, yeah >_> 55:45, I agree to that.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Lol. This matchup is most likely even, or very close to it. Just some general notes, never destroy wario's bike when its on stage. I'm pretty sure this is very common knowledge by now, but in case it isn't, just leave the bike there. And keep in mind the grab release thing on wario. He can escape if he presses A right when you pummel him, but this can lead into a free attack, and possibly an easy finish (I never use this though, so I wouldn't know). You can outspace wario on the ground, so focus a lot on that. His bite is susceptible to a tippered ftilt among many other things, and you can shine pretty much anything he throws at you. Aerial spacing is a constant battle, but IIRC bair outspaces wario's aerials in general. His finishing options are better overall, and beware of his fsmash, its super armor is a pain.

These are overall two very similar characters IMO, both heavy, good air control, few/no disjointed hitboxes, I'd say it all depends on how it's played and who controls the match.

Ace55

Smash Lord
I'd say the advantage goes to Wario, 55-45 or something. Wolf's blaster is way to easy to avoid with Wario. On the other hand wolf counters everything Wario's got with the shine but doing this often should result in the Wario waiting it out for a sec, then punishing (like with any other counter only way faster). On stage I'd say it's even or slight advantage to Wolf (athough he falls for every Wario combo in the book), because of range/priority/speed but when it comes to gimping it's pretty onesided. Wario can and will gimp Wolf, but Wolf will have a hell of a time gimping Wario.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Wolfs fair, Shine and Blaster are 100% disjointed. I assume bair is too...
Which is why I said few. I mean, wolf definitely has some (I believe his claw is disjointed in general, but this needs testing), but most of the fighting is close quarters, without anything that's as disjointed as anyone with a sword or something along those lines.

Top Bottom