• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zoning(All the other forums have it. We need it too)

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
Zoning is a tactic in 2D fighters usually used at mid-range or far mid-range, the purpose of which is to out-prioritize your enemy's moves. The idea is to space yourself so that you are in a position to respond to or punish any entry angle or attack of your opponent's. Ideally, you can use certain pokes and attacks to beat your opponent's attacks, punish his advances or jumps, and hopefully shut down his offensive options, while landing hits. In attempting to zone, it is important to know the properties of your own attacks as well as the attacks of your opponent, in order to find the best move to use in countering your opponent's move. The ability to predict your opponent's next move, and having good reflexes to react to that move, are also important.

How do we, as IC players, zone out other characters? With a weak sauce approach, bad aerials and not much range in anything, I think that we HAVE to zone out characters.

Of course, desynching aids our zone game. Desynching and having one climber blizzard is good space control. Blizzard is a very high priority attack with a long duration. Their only options are to retreat, try to attack from above, get behind you, or try to out range it.

Retreating means that you already have the momentum advantage. Keep it up.
Attacking from above puts them at the advantage too, because Ice Climbers being under you = Uair juggles and our uair beats nearly everything.
Rolling behind gets you grabbed. Nuff said.
Not many moves reliably out range Blizzard and spacing an attack so as to not get locked in hitlag can be a pain when you know there's a free climber waiting to take advantage. Still, its one of the better options, next to running.

It's all about limiting options.

I'm gonna add more later but right now, I need a few hours of sleep.

mp1776120

Smash Rookie
10/10
Would read again.

Spacing in general is crucial in this game (as well as any fighting game) and i feel that not many people are prioritizing it as much as it should be. with ice climbers however, i don't feel that it would be that useful considering their minuscule range. you can't really rely on blizzard TOO much.

Top Bottom