• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up discussion #14: Pikachu

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Time to do Pikachu...

He's light and thus easy to finish with a Dsmash, he also lacks range on many moves and speedwise Wolfs up to par. Pika does however have great finishers + Edgeguarding so landing a KO is a non issue here. He also does have a CG that works to ~40% so watch out for that.

The best way to win against him is to outspace him in the air with bair and on the ground with ftilt. Other than that Pika, doesn't require you to do anything but your standard tactics: lots of spacing, avoiding lags (Pika can punish quite good...) and punish with fsmash when needed. You should also try to land Shine counters, as usual. All that works pretty well

I say it's even though. Pikachus speed and power can be frustrating to fight against so don't let him overhelm you...

Discuss!

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Probably even. His projectiles can be worked around because of reflector, which makes things a whole lot easier. Actually, this might even be a small advantage for wolf, just because of how good the reflector works against pikachu. Watch out for gimping though, pika is ridiculously good at messing with people offstage. There's a QAC lock, so watch out for it, but it's very situational. Standard procedure + shine is all this match requires, as long as it's used wisely.

Pika is still really **** annoying though.

K 2

Smash Lord
Ah pikachu. As a pikachu player, one of my pains against wolf is that I cannot crouch under his lasers -.-
Wolf can reflect pika's tjolt and thunder (a major kill move). Whenever you are above a pika, ALWAYS airdodge, use your reflector, or DI so that you are no longer above pika, because thunder is insanely powerful. I get 15-20% of my kills from thunder, because my friends forget to airdodge or something like that when they are above me. Pikachu has no shortage of kill moves and his has decent combo potential and with a CG on wolf. Watch out for QAC (quick attack cancel), which can go into a nair (kills at 130-140%) or thunder.
Pikachu is amazing at edgeguarding, so watch out for that. One of my edgeguarding tricks is to ledgedrop into a thunder, making it impossible to return to the stage or grab the ledge, which screws over people with bad recoveries (wolf). Maybe shine stall until the thunder passes? I don't use wolf much so I don't know if he can shine stall like fox. I wouldn't suggest trying to go offstage to edgeguard pika, b/c you will end up getting killed. I'm pretty sure most of wolf's moves outrange pika's, so use that to your advantage. Spacing is crucial in this match-up. One of my most frustrating match-up is against characters with long range/disjointed hitboxes.

That's all I can think of for now, I might come back later and add some stuff.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
In my opinion this is in wolfs favor at 60/40 or 55/45. Wolf has a lot of attacks that outrange pikachus and his blaster is just better than pikachus b move. Pikachu cant really use his thunder to kill wolf because wolf can just reflect it. Plus wolf kills pikachu a lot easier than pikachu kills wolf.

JCav

Smash Lord
the best pika ive played is anther and he 2 stocked me but hes anther.

but id give wolf the nod in this one. is been mentioned, more range, better killing

K 2

Smash Lord
Pika doesn't have a 0 to death combo, but chain grab + smash/aerial at the end deals a heafty 50-60% and it could set up for edgeguarding, which means wolf dies.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
If given the chance, an experienced Pikachu will combo Wolf fairly well. The chaingrab is to be feared too.
When I play Wolfs, I use my t-jolt very sparingly- usually when I'm sure it will hit due to my opponent Wolf's landing lag.
Delving in deeper, spacing appears to be your best friend against a Pikachu. If a Pikachu player attempts to QAC you to oblivion, use fairs, bairs, or abuse your laser gun. You may force Pikachu to try something else if done right.

When I play a Wolf, I find it easy to fight in close combat. However, approaching is difficult due to the lasers. Lasers and spacing via aerials are your keys to victory.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
really combos and cgs from pika devastate wolf, and with proper spacing and defensive measures i really have to think it is something more like 55/45 - 60/40 in pikas favor. online turns this more in pikas direction though. here is the thread we already have on you guys, though it is a little bit older. you can sorta use this for you guys, also help to update ours with any info you may have :D http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=182000

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
This certainly isn't a 60:40 advantage. Neither for Wolf nor for Pika. It is somewhere between 55:45 and 45:55

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
So the big guy honorsus with his presence! lol
So you're sayin' it's 50:50?

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Wolf is super cool, he has a blaster and doesn't afraid of anything.

... Yeah I'd go with the boards dying out, everyone gave up on this place it seems :(

:059:

tekkie

Smash Master
Who wants to explain just how the reflector works against Thunder? I tried it like five times against a Pikachu the other day and it just didn't happen for some reason. Air? Ground? Before it happens? Right when it happens? Off to the side?

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
O.o do you have vids of this? WAIT you cannot reflect the explosion that is created when it hits pika. you can only reflect the bolt. perhaps that will answer your question.

Semifer

Smash Journeyman
With that new horrible CG (Is it a zero to death if you finish with Usmash to Thunder, or is it escapeable?) I think the MU is about 65:35 in Pikas favor. It's very difficult for Pika to get a grab, but one time in a match it will happen if your oppenent is good and then Pika has a huge advantage.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
usmash/tilt > thunder is a true combo dependent on player DI and %. If you put A LOT of DI left/right from usmash, it'll make it very difficult for Pikachu to use thunder. Tilt is harder to DI both because its fast and isn't as strong as usmash, but since its not as strong, it won't be as effective until higher %'s.

testing on cap % and how many ways Pikachu can CG Wolf are still being tested. There are two ways to CG wolf, one is really dependent on space but it refreshes dthrow completely.

If Wolf manages to avoid thunder, Pikachu will just refresh his dthrow that way.

IMO we shouldn't decide a number yet. Until further testing is done and after some real battle experience with it. You guys say Wolf is good at avoiding grabs, well we say Pikachu is good at getting grabs so.. Wolfs aren't that uncommon right? There should be some wolf player near a pikachu player.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Doesn't mean he used Wolf ;o He used MK, IC, and Wolf so says the ranking thread. (But who does know besides the people who played... waiting for vids though)

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
does the cg work at all % or does it need to be started at a certain % like others? i feel like even with the cg though, the match up wont be that bad. Wolf isnt like fox that has terribad approaches and depends on a punishing game almost entirely.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
the best way to CG wolf is

F-throw x3 > Pummel x1 >D-throw x 14 + regrab = 115%

which starts at 30% (the dthrows)

but.. at 0% this works:

D-throw x3 > Fthrow x1 > D-throw x14 + regrab = 112%

But this will even work at 40% with straight dthrows as well.. Wolf got the worse situation.

Sirus109

Smash Apprentice
to reflect thunder...use the reflector at what point??

i never seem to get it either, also the d-smash is it possible to DI out of it...i try to put cant get out of it??

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
its easily pikahcu advantadge, good use of sheilding and movement make it very hard to kill pika. it was probably 55-45 pika before the cg, and the cg just made it worse for yall.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
we'll let time tell whether or not it drastically changes the match up. Pikachu doesn't exactly have the longest grab range

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Pikachu is one of those mobile grabbers. He's efficient at it at getting in your face and grabbing. (Think MK but a tiny tiny bit slower and needs to be actually precise with grabbing you)

But lets leave it to time.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
we'll let time tell whether or not it drastically changes the match up. Pikachu doesn't exactly have the longest grab range
And Wolf isn't exactly the easiest character to grab in the first place. This is why Wario is still great, despite being brutally ***** by grab releases, and why Wolf can still beat Falcos and DDDs.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
good point. Wario's grab release shenanigans are pretty homo (imo, worse than pikachu's chaingrab), but he's still amazing

Top Bottom