• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is pit noob-friendly or are we just noobs?

Katten

Smash Rookie
We have a little ssbb "home community(a bunch of noobs who have just discovered those forums)", and we usually say "never pick pit, he is to overpowered, he ruins the fun for everyone".

I was beginning to doubt wether if pit is so overpowered or is just a noob-friendly character or are we just totally wrong?

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Pit sucks.... He has no kill moves but that is the least of his worries... But i see amazing potential in him.

Your friends are probally judging him by his recovery....

One of the largest problems of pit is that some people are more focused on trying to find long complicated ways to hit with a arrow...*ok im exaggerating...*

We are ALL just totally wrong... while i admit that i probally underestimate pit im going to say that his darkest sides come from the absence of kill moves, the short range, and he can be gimped by projectiles easily with upb *not that he even needs to use upb to recover* mostly non probs...

I have a very pale sight on pit...

But its a better sight than the people who say that he is broken...

Afropony

Smash Lord
I have a good idea for you, set a little tournament up with all of your friends and say that everyone has to put 5 dollars in as an entry fee. Then play as Metaknight for the whole thing and stand in the middle of the stage spamming downsmash. Also say that the winner takes all the money =P

Katten

Smash Rookie
I have a good idea for you, set a little tournament up with all of your friends and say that everyone has to put 5 dollars in as an entry fee. Then play as Metaknight for the whole thing and stand in the middle of the stage spamming downsmash. Also say that the winner takes all the money =P
Lol, sounds good, but fairly weak against ranged i guess?

Pit sucks.... He has no kill moves but that is the least of his worries... But i see amazing potential in him.

Your friends are probally judging him by his recovery....

One of the largest problems of pit is that some people are more focused on trying to find long complicated ways to hit with a arrow...*ok im exaggerating...*

We are ALL just totally wrong... while i admit that i probally underestimate pit im going to say that his darkest sides come from the absence of kill moves, the short range, and he can be gimped by projectiles easily with upb *not that he even needs to use upb to recover* mostly non probs...

I have a very pale sight on pit...

But its a better sight than the people who say that he is broken...
Hmm, i see your point, but can you tell me how to counter side-b then? The yellow spinny blade?

Phaigne

Smash Journeyman
Escapable through DI...though it isn't fun to get hit with regardless. It's also a a easily punishable move, so if your friends do it it, DI away and start spanking them for trying to hit you with "yellow spinny blades."

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Im still gonna say that Pit doesn't suck. KO power-wise, yes, but his weaponry does make a great counter against projectile spammers, (2 reflectors, and his arrows) which helped me when I used to main Bowser.
And the yellow spinning blade is called the Angel Ring...

arm

Smash Apprentice
Id say Pits only problem that the Pit community cant fix is his kill potential. Really, only fsmash and Bair sweetspotted can kill, but only in the hundreds. dsmash can also, but at higher percents that f or bair.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Well Dsmash is great if you hit the sour spot of the blade which sends them more horizontal than the regular first hit

kupo15

Smash Hero
its like melee marth. His Utilt when tipped or untipped keeps them near but the sour spot sends them out of combo range.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
He's good enough to get into high tier above Wolf, Toon Link, and Olimar. :O

Pit's not overpowered at all in any aspect other than projectile camping and recovery, which can still be overcome. He's really just an average character with a great projectile. <<;

Pit's KO moves are a bit on the weak side when compared to other characters, and he has very little range. He's not exceptionally great at damaging, and he's not really that speedy. His air control is completely average, and he's a midweight. When pitted (lolpun) against characters like Marth or GnW who not only can nullify his projectile spam and beat him in almost every aspect, he really does fall short.

Oh, and if someone's playing a "noob Pit," all you have to do is pick Falco or Wolf and just sit there and hold out your reflector until they get bored. Then just fsmash them or camp back or something.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Dont ever place a "noob Pit" and a Good Pit in the same category. His KO power is weak, but he has Excellent Edgeguarding, Ledgecamping, and Gimping options against his opponents that allow him to KO quicker when used correctly.
The Mirror Shield is one of those majorly useful tools against Damaging Recoveries, with multiple hitboxes, like Ike's, Link's, and DK's. Other good Pits know what I'm talking about.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Pit has an easy learning curve, but if you want to learn his advanced techniques and other cool discoveries, then it may be a little bit more difficult. Not too much, though. Please don't think that just because Pit is easy to pick up as a character, that he's for "n00bs." I could say the same thing about Lucas.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, he's easy to spam, and many noobish players do that. However, if they do not know of Pit's weaknesses, especially the Up-B flaw, then they'll be the ones getting punished. Smart Pits can overcome their own character's spam... or at least I hope they do.

Phaigne

Smash Journeyman
I think what a lot of people miss is the fact that Pit does not need raw K.O. power, he has several other options at his disposal that easily make up for his lack of high-knockback moves. And no he is not noobish, though he is easy to pick up and do well with, he is one of the toughest characters to master. (Shown by a lack of great Pit players.)

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Hmm, i see your point, but can you tell me how to counter side-b then? The yellow spinny blade?
if you have proper spacing you shield it... then you roll behind him.... free hit...

Id say Pits only problem that the Pit community cant fix is his kill potential.
Can someone quote sig this for me? put it somewhere where everyone can hear this.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
This person really does know a bit about Pit... However, DK runs slightly faster than Pit, but Pit is still faster than most chars.
His glide is the fastest of them all.
And dont forget his excellent Edgeguarding and Ledgecamping game.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Katten
twoskilld4u
if you have proper spacing you shield it... then you roll behind him.... free hit...
Wow this thread comes up every month. Smash DI toward the pit and end up behind him. AR has ending lag so charge a Fsmash just til you see the AR go away than release.

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
This person really does know a bit about Pit... However, DK runs slightly faster than Pit, but Pit is still faster than most chars.
His glide is the fastest of them all.
And dont forget his excellent Edgeguarding and Ledgecamping game.
Thank you Admiral Bowser, your recognition means alot to me. Its because i developed my own style and mastered the basics before even considering myself worthy of coming here to learn about ATs and pro strategy. Some people on here are focusing too much on advanced techniques, ignoring that they are advanced because they are for people who have mastered the basics. Also i think its laughable that people are having trouble with n00b Pits, they are so fun to easily destroy MWAHAHAHAHA

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
. Pit is amazing at damaging, maybe you guys never really realized just how useful his tap A combo is.
we never said that he is bad at inflicting % we just said that he has no kill moves... or moves that kill around 90% that acctually hit often

Right after it you can do the angel ring, and right after that an F smash. Have you guys ever played Pit at all??
Have you played any pros? there is this tech called DI that negates this unless your opponent is ignorant enough to run into all of you moves, that will fail... and that even wont sum up a kill....

Saying his Fsmash and Bair are his only kill moves, im pretty sure you can easily get a kill with the Uair, as i do it all the time. (you want them to fly to the left, the last hit needs to be on the left side, and vice versa). You can also kill with the Ftilt, his glide swipe (easiest way to kill), and even his RUNNING move.
yes like EVERY pit says this to me.... most dont realize that you acctually have too HIT with the move...

Pits face to face ground game is sick for racking up damage and keeping distance.
If its face to face then why are you keeping distance?

Arrows, Ftilt, tap A, angel ring, use them all wisely and nobody will get close to you. The Uair is so nasty, you have to jump up real fast to land it and it does wonders.
yeah too bad that 80% of the chars here( yes im exagerating a bit) including pit himself can spike it

Hes not that Speedy!?!? He runs fast as hell and can glide across any board in seconds...

Please count time in frames.... using a stopwatch and such has lead to Amazing human error

and i dare ask who is complaining?

boy doesent pit suck on wifi?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Thank you Admiral Bowser, your recognition means alot to me.

Its because i developed my own style and mastered the basics before even considering myself worthy of coming here to learn about ATs and pro strategy.

Some people on here are focusing too much on advanced techniques, ignoring that they are advanced because they are for people who have mastered the basics.

Also i think its laughable that people are having trouble with n00b Pits, they are so fun to easily destroy MWAHAHAHAHA
For part one, It's my pleasure. I'm quite popular among many Pit players.

For part two, Well, I haven't done all of the basics... so have I told. But what you done was a good thing.

For part three, I completely haven't mastered the basics myself, again, so have i been told. I was told that I lacked fundamentals, which I realized I have. You'll find me to focus on ATs
as well, but I have started learning one of the ATs (Arrow looping) back in May, then other tech in June, so as of now, I have 4-5 months of experience with most of the ATs, including:

-Arrow Looping: First AT I learned. I have to thank Undrdog for that, him and his compilation vids. As time grew, my loops gotten better and better. Currently I have 5 months of Experience.
-Wingdash: Actually I have to thank Rogue Pit for teaching me how to do this the right way. D-air, not B-air >_< Well I got 4 months of experience with this
-GlideShifting
-Arrow Rain: Yes, I do use it, but dont underestimate me. I used it for 4 months now. My experience with this AT is very good, and used it in my battles. While ppl think it's useless, I found uses for it,
-Winglanding/Divebombing: I have slowly adapted to this and used this in one of my 4+ strategies. With my battle style it really messes with the opponent's mind. I have 3 months of experience with it. A little late, but I quickly adapted.

There are others, but I'm not no Pit noobie. 4-5 months of experience right now is really big. I use each of them to become a powerful 1-of-a-kind Pit. The Arrow Rain itself makes me unique, and I am devoted to be that way.

For part four, this is true, and we have the same weapons as the other Pit, except more skill. The pressence of fighting another Pit should stop noobish arrow spam a bit. Need I say, Mirror Shield... err, i mean... "Nice Try!"

arm

Smash Apprentice
Can someone quote sig this for me? put it somewhere where everyone can hear this.
I sure hope that what I said wasnt taken the wrong way. What I mean by kill potential is when his moves kill, such as bair at around 100% or fsmash around 120-140% for most of the cast (Dammit Snake, why wont you die?). NOT his ability to ledge guard someone to their death. He has plenty of potential in that respect.

Anyways, from your tone it just sounds like you think Im another noob that said something stupid without really even knowing what I said. Then again, this is the internet, so there is no such thing as tone, or at least it is not as noticable.

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
Pit is amazing at damaging, maybe you guys never really realized just how useful his tap A combo is.
we never said that he is bad at inflicting % we just said that he has no kill moves... or moves that kill around 90% that acctually hit often

Right after it you can do the angel ring, and right after that an F smash. Have you guys ever played Pit at all??
Have you played any pros? there is this tech called DI that negates this unless your opponent is ignorant enough to run into all of you moves, that will fail... and that even wont sum up a kill....

Saying his Fsmash and Bair are his only kill moves, im pretty sure you can easily get a kill with the Uair, as i do it all the time. (you want them to fly to the left, the last hit needs to be on the left side, and vice versa). You can also kill with the Ftilt, his glide swipe (easiest way to kill), and even his RUNNING move.
yes like EVERY pit says this to me.... most dont realize that you acctually have too HIT with the move...

Pits face to face ground game is sick for racking up damage and keeping distance.
If its face to face then why are you keeping distance?

Arrows, Ftilt, tap A, angel ring, use them all wisely and nobody will get close to you. The Uair is so nasty, you have to jump up real fast to land it and it does wonders.
yeah too bad that 80% of the chars here( yes im exagerating a bit) including pit himself can spike it

Hes not that Speedy!?!? He runs fast as hell and can glide across any board in seconds...

Please count time in frames.... using a stopwatch and such has lead to Amazing human error
Hey man whats up, i know i am new to the boards but i am no n00b. Havent played many "pros" who are well known and what not, but a few of my friends could easily impress the hell out of youtubers with their smash game... andi would be too lazy to make videos anyway. Im as good as a casual smash player can get though and i dont need practice to beat pretty much anyones butt.

Well that was my short intro, with that being said i do respect your opinions, and have some responses as well. 1) First of all, you are challenging me as to whether it was said that Pit is not good at damaging. Well, to find that all you have to do is look at the person i quoted in my first topic reply. "Pit's KO moves are a bit on the weak side when compared to other characters, and he has very little range. He's not exceptionally great at damaging, and he's not really that speedy." So yes, it was said that Pit cant rack up damage, but by claiming that it was never said you inferred to me that you do not agree, so we should drop this one.

2) Ok about the angel ring thing, you are talking to me like im a n00b. Of course i know its not the best move to be using, but i never use it and keep tapping B. if i use it its for the shortest amount of time possible, but your opponent will expect longer so you can use an Fsmash right out of it before they know it. It DOES work on good players! you just have to use it at the right time.

3) Hmmm... i didnt follow you on your third point.

4) I dont know if you were being sarcastic or not, but you made an assumption that when i said face to face that i meant close range. Incorrect, i meant that they could be any distance apart, as long as they are on the ground looking toward each other. I still believe pit accels in this situation, and i frequently try to keep my opponent in front of me (except wario and snake, cant stand them)

5) Again maybe sarcastic?? I mentioned this attack knowing it can be spiked... which is why i emphasized that you have to rise up FAST to land the attack, its all about timing baby

6) I am a human not a computer, frame data is of no use to me and even if you give me logical reasons as to why it should be used, well i am still self-proclaimed casual (although i been playing smash for a decade or more) and opposed to acquiring such knowledge. edit: However, while i am pretty inflexible on this topic i am not naive. If there are any strong and compelling arguments as to why i should study frame rates please put them on the table.

In fact i didnt even want to come here to learn ATs, i am already too advanced for almost everyone at my college. But i did, and im happy... the ATs are so interesting! And since i am already advanced without them, i learned each of them in minutes, and i wont find myself relying on them

Thanks for the reply twoskilld4u!

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
For part one, It's my pleasure. I'm quite popular among many Pit players.

For part two, Well, I haven't done all of the basics... so have I told. But what you done was a good thing.

For part three, I completely haven't mastered the basics myself, again, so have i been told. I was told that I lacked fundamentals, which I realized I have. You'll find me to focus on ATs
as well, but I have started learning one of the ATs (Arrow looping) back in May, then other tech in June, so as of now, I have 4-5 months of experience with most of the ATs, including:

-Arrow Looping: First AT I learned. I have to thank Undrdog for that, him and his compilation vids. As time grew, my loops gotten better and better. Currently I have 5 months of Experience.
-Wingdash: Actually I have to thank Rogue Pit for teaching me how to do this the right way. D-air, not B-air >_< Well I got 4 months of experience with this
-GlideShifting
-Arrow Rain: Yes, I do use it, but dont underestimate me. I used it for 4 months now. My experience with this AT is very good, and used it in my battles. While ppl think it's useless, I found uses for it,
-Winglanding/Divebombing: I have slowly adapted to this and used this in one of my 4+ strategies. With my battle style it really messes with the opponent's mind. I have 3 months of experience with it. A little late, but I quickly adapted.

There are others, but I'm not no Pit noobie. 4-5 months of experience right now is really big. I use each of them to become a powerful 1-of-a-kind Pit. The Arrow Rain itself makes me unique, and I am devoted to be that way.

For part four, this is true, and we have the same weapons as the other Pit, except more skill. The pressence of fighting another Pit should stop noobish arrow spam a bit. Need I say, Mirror Shield... err, i mean... "Nice Try!"
Admiral Bowser, the arrow rain seems like a ridiculous move to be able to use in battle, and to pull it off like you said would surely make you unique. I wouldnt underestimate it, ive seen arrow loops win the match. To my understanding, arrow rain is similar to multiple arrow loops, so i could see it being just as or even more useful based on that logic.

I actually just started messing around with all of the Ats last night, they are truly amazing. To think that something as sweet as the Wingdash existed without me knowing... it even FEELS like im wavedashing on the controller for some reason! The angelic step is great too, i remember playing a Pit who i knew i was better than and got sick combos on whenever i touched him, but i felt like he could move in ways that i couldnt. Now i know he was doing the angelic step, man was it hard to catch that guy but i did beat him.

Arrow looping is also the first AT that i learned. I was told about it by a friend of mine who id like to believe could easily be recognized as a pro if he wanted to be. I am at the point with it that with a stationery target, whether i can see whats above me or not i land about 3/5 shots with it.

Glide shifting has already saved me from getting killed a couple times, mostly from my friend with a menacing metaknight, and i only started doing it recently. I figured out how to divebomb on my own, it came as natural to me as playing Pit.

Last night, i acquired the wingdash, windland, wing cancel, angelic step, and ATR. Also, the Fthrow "chain grab," these i am yet to use in battle. I am soooo excited!! My pit was straight up deadly before, if i can smoothly add these to my arsenal, i might consider going out for a couple tournaments, hence stripping myself of my self-given title of casual brawler.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Excellent Kyuubi99t. That is what I love to hear and you seem to have had the basics down to allow the ATs to add to your game. Just be weary, there are Pit AT haters out there!!

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
Excellent Kyuubi99t. That is what I love to hear and you seem to have had the basics down to allow the ATs to add to your game. Just be weary, there are Pit AT haters out there!!
Thank you kupo15. when i mentioned that i have seen arrow loops win the match, i was also thinking about a couple sick kills that i have seen YOU land with them. Yeah, ive been watching you. Lolz jk, but yeah i definately watched most of your Pit vs. Pit matches with Rogue and i must say, MOST impressive!! Your pit style is unique and unpredictable, while i feel like i can relate a little more to Rogue's textbook pit style, while he is exponentially better at it. Well it takes a good player to recognize skill in others right? I have a while to go until i could step up to you or rogue, those matches are ridiculously satisfying watches to say the least.

You people want to see masterful Pit wielding!?!? Watch kupo and rogue's pit vs. pit matches. Id like to see some noob pull THAT stuff off!

Edit: About the Pit AT haters... haha i easily could have seen this coming. When i was trying them all out for the first time last night, i was laughing out loud thinking about the reactions i might get from my friends if i do them all correctly in battle. Heck if i wasnt such a Pit lover, i could see myself being pissed about those techniques. Kuz i HATE the snake slide!

Royale

Smash Journeyman
im messing around with pit in basic and hes pretty fun! i didnt know his Bair Fair could be such good kill moves if timed right. Even with a SH Bair its awesome.

Xcaliber

Smash Rookie
As said by Dryn, Pit does have an easy learning curve, which makes him a prime choice for beginning Brawl players. However, I still have trouble with some of his amazing advanced techniques. I quickly found out that a couple of arrows in loop creates quite a formidable barrier for even some of the hardest opponents. I also consistently use Angelic Step against one of my friends who plays Marth. (He still doesn't get it) Overall, I would say Pit is easy to learn but he only shows through when used properly. The difference between a beginning Pit and an expert Pit is quite huge.

Top Bottom