• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavelanding at the start of a match - certain stages

Opus_IX

Smash Cadet
Edit: Making this more of an informative post, rather than a question.

Theory: Movement can occur as soon as the "Ready" disappears. This movement can be anything from jumping, dashing, or shielding. At the beginning of the match, when the characters are loaded in successive order (1st player's character loaded first, 2nd player's character loaded second, etc. etc.), some characters are floaty enough to still be in the AIR when the "Ready" disappears (as they fall from their spawn point). Coupled with the fact that you can do anything you want after the "Ready" disappears, this means that those floaty characters are able to waveland, air dodge, or use their second jump.

The main concept looked at here is wavelanding at the start of the match, as the "Ready" disappears, particularly with Ganondorf. This is not a technique unique to Ganon. Many characters can do this, and as a general rule:

a) Characters who accelerate faster than Ganon to their max fall speed may only have this ability in 4th player slot, and even then they may not be able to waveland on all the stages Ganon can.

b) Characters who accelerate slower than Ganon to their max fall speed may have this wavelanding ability in not only the 3rd and 4th slots, but on more stages and on "higher" positions ("higher" meaning 2nd or 1st position).

For example, Luigi and Samus fall slower than Ganon, and as a result can waveland in 2nd position on FD, where Ganon cannot waveland on any stage in 2nd position. Fox falls faster (a lot faster) than Ganon, and cannot waveland in 3rd position on FD.

Reality: This can be done. The timing isn't too hard with a little practice. But before we start trying to do this we need to know what stages Ganon can waveland on:

----------------------------------THE LIST!!!!----------------------------------------

As 1st player:

Ganon can not waveland on ANY stage. :(

As 2nd player:

Ganon cannot waveland on ANY stage. :(

As 3rd player, Ganon can waveland on the following:

Kongo Jungle and Kongo Jungle 64
Great Bay
Grean Greens
Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Island 64
Hyrule Temple
Brinstar (not Brinstar Depths)
Onett
Poke Floats
Fourside
Battle Field
Final Destination
Dream Land 64

As 4th player, Ganon can waveland on the following:

All except Rainbow Cruise and Mushroom Kingdom.

Icicle Mountain is a special exception: If the randomness of the stage at the start of the map is right, you can waveland. But you'll never know when it'll happen, so you might as well count it out.

In summary:

If you want the ability to waveland at the start of the match, stick to 4th player slot. And for FD, BF, KJ64, and DL64, you can also be 3rd player, too.

***Testing done with version 1.00***
(Although I'm sure that the successive versions aren't any different, the loading of the characters is inherent with the engine, so I'm sure this works on all versions, unless they changed Ganon's fall speed in the successive versions...)

So what good does this do you?

Well, on FD, 4th and 2nd position start next to each other, and 3rd and 1st start next to each other. Knowing this bit of information coming in to a match, you can decide where to plug your controller in to gain a positional advantage over your opponent. Some people may prefer to start close to a Fox player to reduce laser spamminess. Others may prefer to just hang on a ledge and wait for it. But knowing that you can waveland to close the distance even further may give you that extra edge, be it opening up with a grab or tilt. So you may want to start next to them. But if you'd prefer to just wait it out, then you can waveland closer to the edge which will get you a good distance there and reduce the amount of time to get you to the ledge and you can avoid being hit by lasers.

In any case, how you decide to use this waveland is up to you, but there are several important factors to keep in mind:

Is my opponent aggressive?

You must know how your opponent will play if you want this initial waveland to become a successful mindgame. If they are going to rush you with n-airs and shines, it may be better to waveland away into a f-smash or f-tilt. The speed of the f-tilt will most likely catch the Fox off-guard, and will probably keep you from being punished. The pull back of the f-smash will, at the least, let you avoid the n-air to shine, but is not as quick as the f-tilt and may end up punishing you. But what you should get from this whole thing is to know your opponent before you decide to go do stuff with the waveland.

What if I start on a platform?

That's no problem for Ganon! Platform dashing with Ganon is a quick way to get you off of the platform and onto the ground. Started on the uppermost platform? No worries! Because of the ability to do ANYTHING AT ALL after the "Ready" disappears, this also means that you can fast fall through the platform (preferably doing an aerial to protect yourself). Or you can do multiple platform dashes to move yourself away or towards your opponent. When it comes to platforms with Ganon (at least, in this context), you should be most confident in being able to move out o the way (or into it).

What if my opponent is in the 3rd or 4th player slot? How do I make sure that they doesn't use this technique against me?

This goes back to knowing your opponent. If you haven't played them before, you can always take the defensive route and waveland -> shield-roll away. But you have to make sure that you're not shield-rolling into their grab (i.e beware of Captain Falcon and Fox). Really, you shouldn't have to worry about it too much. Ganon can take the punishment. In fact, I'm pretty sure that Ganon gets stronger with punishment. lol.

Again, with any technique, there will be some amount of risk. This situation just warrants a higher risk (and higher caution) than others.

What if in team battles, the opposing team takes up both the 3rd and 4th player slots?

Do you really think they'd be unwilling to trade slots? Well, if that does happen, pick Luigi. But in all seriousness, being on the ground is not as bad as it sounds, and in some ways is more advantageous to being able to waveland. Having a shield is very good, and not having to wait for it is even better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't make up all the scenarios. But I'm sure you get the point: Know your opponent, and don't do anything that'll cost you a stock when it comes to this wavelanding/platform dashing ordeal.

Go out, have fun with it. Find a way to use it reliably without being caught. I trust y'all can do it.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I noticed that when I played a bit of luigi in friendlies
fun stuff, and it can actually be really useful.
if you waveland->grab and start a combo before the GO! text is even gone anybody's gonna be scared, great way to intimidate your opponent

Is is possible with all characters btw? Timing it is harder with some offcourse, but I tried to do it with fox and it seems impossible >.>

Opus_IX

Smash Cadet
Haha, wish I had AR. I guess slo-mo melee would work well with testing this. I'll get on it in a minute. I'll test it on FD first, then I'll test all of the stages. I'll be back later to update on the wavelanding.

Opus_IX

Smash Cadet
It turns out that the players are loaded in sequential order (i.e, 1st player loads first, second player loads second, etc etc). You may or may not have noticed. I know I didn't. Anyway. Because of this, they are also dropped from the spawn points in that same order (i.e, 1st player drops first, second player drops second, etc etc). And because of that, the fourth and sometimes the third player (for Ganon, at least), are still in the air as the countdown bar under the "READY" goes away. And we all know we can move as soon as the "READY" goes away, and right before the "GO!" appears. So that's the verdict here, fellow Ganon-ers.

Of course, this technique is NOT unique to Ganon. But as a general rule of thumb, if a character falls FASTER than Ganon, they probably will not have the ability to waveland. If the character falls SLOWER than Ganon then that character has the ability to waveland on increasingly higher positions (i.e Ganon has the ability consistently in 4th position, slower falling characters will have that ability not only in the 4th, but also in 3rd and maybe 2nd).

As an example: Luigi falls slower, so he can waveland in 2nd position on FD, whereas Ganon cannot. Samus also falls a little slower and can also waveland in 2nd position.

Keep the Ganon alive!

Opus_IX

Smash Cadet
If I had AR, I could tell you how many frames you have to hit the shoulder to waveland...but I don't have AR. :'( Mebbe if someone wants to uh, donate their time to figure it out? ^_^

Or I could just get AR.

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
this is a good thread but the only problem i see with it is the opponent catching on and punishing you for it giving them an early lead. i either jump back or just shield

Opus_IX

Smash Cadet
Well, yeah, but that's why you don't start every match with it, lol. I see your point though. Those pesky Fox and Marth players can definitely punish you extremely quickly, as I've recently experienced. But anyway, it's just something to have under your sleeve when you haven't used it, that's all. It aids the mindgrapes.

Anyway...

The other thing to keep in mind is that on stages where 3rd and 4th player slots start on platforms (particularly the lower set of platforms), you can instead open up with platform dashing (forward or backwards) to an aerial, which will get you to the ground fairly quickly and keep you fairly protected. When I played my friend (mains Fox) on Battlefield, he likes to rush me on the platform with n-air to shine. >_< Anyway, next round on Battlefield I platform dashed off backwards to u-air, caught him off guard, and it cost him the stock. Yay for stomps and fists.

Just keep it in mind. And when they get comfortable because they haven't seen it in a while, show 'em who's boss.

Top Bottom