• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu's moveset discussion, analysis, and use suggestions FRAME DATA ADDED!

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Alright, since we're a bit behind in the other forums, I suggest that we do a little catching up, shall we? For this topic, We should analyze each of Pikachu's moves, and the different ways we use them. We don't want all the new Pikachu players to be just a bunch of Thunder-Spamming noob-maggots, do we?

Last Update: A little obvious but missed tip about landing thunder by stealth.

Contributors so far:
K2, Zylar, Press22, ESAM, Khanxay, Mister E, KayLo!, stealth raptor

AAA Combo: Headbutt
The facts:
Fresh Damage: 2
Frames for hitbox to activate: 2
Element(s): Head
Many people know how to DI out of pika's dsmash. Whenever they do, you can follow up with a dash attack (maybe even a QAC into a tilt or smash). They are usually too busy mashing their control stick and c-stick to react to your attack once they break free of dsmash. They might be able to jump out of this "combo", but you've got nothing to lose.
F-Tilt: Pound
The facts:
Fresh Damage: 10 (Upwards) OR 9 (Side) OR 8 (Downwards)
Frames for hitbox to activate: 5
Element(s): Leg[ /quote]
Muhznit said:
Has the best horizontal KO potential of Pika's Tilts. The knockback mechanism is a bit sensitive to spacing, though you may end up sending them backwards. It can also be aimed; the higher you aim, the better the damage/knockback, but you won't hit certain crouching shrunken characters.
U-Tilt: Tail Whip (Up)
The facts:
Fresh Damage: 7~5 (Stonger at beginning, weaker at the end)
Frames for hitbox to activate: 7
Element(s): Tail
one thing that you should add that one of pikas best ways to kill using thunder is to utilt into it.
D-Tilt: Tail Whip (Side)
The facts:
Fresh Damage: 7
Frames for hitbox to activate: 7
This move is part of an important Advanced Technique! Go here for info.
Personally, I love using it as a mindgame. I used to fight scrub Pikachus all the time on WiFi. Whenever they Dsmashed, they expected me to hold still and get hit like they do, but instead I DI'd out of it, laughing at their stupidity. However, they kept doing Dsmash, and I kept DI'ing out of it, and eventually I got sick of constantly changing my flow to rapidly mash up on the control stick to frantically get out of that move. It got really old really fast, and it became EXTREMELY annoying.

In other words, it became a true Pikachu move. Yanno those people who franticallly try to break out whenever grabbed, and they usually end up screwing themselves over when they end up DI'ing wrong because of their button mashing and end up losing their groove at the same time? Dsmash does the same thing to their psychological state. By forcing them to instantly switch from attacking to frantically mashing their way out of a move, you throw off their mental "groove" and they have to regain it all over again. I found out that by throwing someone off their groove, you eventually begin to start annoying the crap out of them. As Pikachu mains, you all know what happens once someone starts playing when they're annoyed, right? It's a free win!

I dsmash all the time now whenever I feel as if there isn't enough time to set up a move that can be actually followed up. It resets the playing field while at the same time annoying the crap out of them, and has thus become a key move in my arsenal of annoying tactics. :D
Nair: Rollout<-KILL MOVE!
The facts:
Fresh Damage: 12~6 (Stronger at Beginning)
Frames for hitbox to activate: 3
Element(s): Body/Spin
Avoid the lag by: Immediate Input during a Short-Hop
I use it on platform stages like Battlefield or Lylat Cruise so that if they shield but still fall off the platform from the first hit, they get punished with the other hits (Which does 11% when fresh.)
ESAM said:
Bair is very good shield pressure, and can actually be used in a SH if you go towards the opponent, and then retreat. It normally pokes the shield at bottom-whichever side you came on (IE if you were on the right it pokes bottom right)
Uair: Tail Whip (Aerial)
The facts:
Fresh Damage: 6~4 (Stronger at beginning)
Frames for hitbox to activate: 3
Avoid the lag by: Immediate Input during a Short-Hop
Muhznit said:
Like it's ground-bound brother, you can often hit twice with it. Sometimes you can combo into Nair with it. I use it in the combo I mentioned for Fair's entry (two attacks above) and in jumps to launch whatever's behind me into the air with me.
Dair: Spark
The facts:
Fresh Damage: 12 (From Pikachu) + 4 (If the shockwave made on the ground hits.
Frames for hitbox to activate: 14
Element(s): Electric, Head
Muhznit said:
When I'm high in the air, I'd use thunder to halt my momentum, then fast fall into one of these. This can also work as an approach by stealing Ganon's "Thunderstorming" AT. Just short hop, and immediately input the move when you're about to leave the ground.
Neutral B: Thundershock
The facts:
Fresh Damage: 9 OR 6 (Stronger in the air)
Frames for hitbox to activate: 19
Element(s): Electric, Indirect Special
Muhznit said:
Full-Hopped and used immediately in a jump, this has no lag to it. Use the time you're in the air to position yourself depending on your opponent. Sometimes you can land an F-Smash with your Thundershock, or maybe retreat and punish your pursuer with a D-Smash. If you're high enough, you can shoot a thunderjolt, QAC in front of it, and use the hitstun to catch your opponent off-gaurd.
Side B: Skull Bash<-SUDDEN DEATH KILL MOVE!
The facts:
Fresh Damage: 7~25 (Stronger if Charged)
Frames for hitbox to activate: 18
Element(s): Head, Direct Special
Muhznit said:
Pull it out of nowhere! Dash away from your opponent then jump and Skull Bash their face! In a free-for-all Act like you're fully charging it, then release it the moment your opponent thinks he'll dodge it! I once pulled a shield-break with it when my opponent held their shield up too long. Then I fully charged it and killed them with it.
KayLo! said:
Hey Muhznit,

I never forgot about you wanting information on Skull Bash, so while I was finishing up the KO percentages for SB on Final Destination, I gathered some extra info for you. It's kind of interesting, actually.... you were very right about just a little charge making a big difference in SB's KO potential.

Here's what I found (all tested on Mario, middle of FD, fresh, no DI in Training Mode):

- Skull Bash takes approx. 2 seconds to fully charge. I used a comination of a stop watch & the "1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi..." method to count, so it isn't terribly accurate, but it worked well enough.

- Based off of the above, I broke SB down into 5 charge stages:

At 0s (0% Charge), SB does 7 damage
At .5s (25% Charge), SB does 12 damage
At 1s (50% Charge), SB does 19 damage
At 1.5s (75% Charge), SB does 23 damage
At 2s (100% Charge), SB does 25 damage

- Damage-wise, SB gains strength slowly, then quickly, then very slowly at the end. At 25% charge, it does 27% of its max damage; at 50% charge, it does 67% of its max damage; and at 75% charge, it does 89% of its max damage.

- I also tested to see how SB's knockback changes during its charge stages:

When SB does 7 damage (no charge), Mario dies at 245%
When SB does 12 damage, Mario dies at 144%
When SB does 19 damage, Mario dies at 91%
When SB does 23 damage, Mario dies at 66%
When SB does 25 damage (fully charged), Mario dies at 61%

- Half-charged, SB KOs earlier than all of Pika's uncharged smashes, and at 3/4 charge, it KOs earlier than T2. Fully charged, it kills earlier than any other move Pikachu has.

....Which is great and all, but it's still almost useless offensively. Oh well, I hope this covers everything you were curious about! I may have gone a little overboard... it's the biopsych major in me. One too many labs, lol.

See you around the boards.
Up B: Quick Attack
The facts:
Fresh Damage: 5 (Both hits connecting)
Frames for hitbox to activate: ?
Element(s): Electric, Direct Special
This move is part of an important Advanced Technique! Go here for info.
here.[/URL] One more thing: Even though platforms stop thunder from getting to Pikachu for its fullest KO potential, they also prevent thunder from being reflected onto Pikachu. Remember that when you're fighting the Lylat trio.
We all know pika can perform double, triple, or even quadruple thunder to edgeguard. It's difficult, but worth learning and could pay off when you least expect it. An easier way to edgeguard people (especially against characters with horrible recoveries) is to ledgehop -> thunder. The thunder with hit pika (who is airborne) right beside the ledge. If your opponent tries to recover using their up b, he gets a sweetspotted thunder in his face (KO's at low percents). You won't get hurt since your invincible during thunder and in case that fails, thunder has good priority. If your opponent tries to wait out the thunder, two things can happen:

1. The thunder ends and pika grabs the ledge, granting him invincibility frames, and forcing your opponent to land on the stage (Most likely, he won't be able to make it, unless he is floaty or has an amazing recovery. If he does, free nair for you.).
2. Your opponent waits too long and plummets to his doom while you laugh.

Against characters with insane recoveries (Pit, MK, Pika, Rob, Kirby, etc.), you will have to resort to more aggressive edgeguarding. You will have to utilize triple/quadruple thunders against these characters, since they can easily wait out a single thunder.

Pummel/Grab Release: Fury Attack
The facts:
Fresh Damage: 2
Element(s): Electric
Check here for info.[/URL]
F-Throw: Discharge
The facts:
Fresh Damage: 10
Element(s): Throwing, Electric
This grab is a viable chainthrow on the following Characters:
(Original testing by Ruuku)
Bowser - 0%-60%
Captain Falcon - 0%-60%
DeDeDe 0%-60%
Donkey Kong - 0%-60%
Falco - 0%-60%
Fox 0%-50%
Ganondorf - 0%-60%
Ike - 0%-60%
Link - 0%-60%
Sheik - 0%-70%
Snake - 0%-60%
Wolf - 0%-60%
Forward Throw and be combo'd into an usmash->thunder for those characters pika can't chain grab.
B-Throw: Seismic Toss<-SUDDEN DEATH KILL MOVE!
The facts:
Fresh Damage: 9
Element(s): Throwing
One thing I like to do with bthrow. Stand near the edge and bthrow your opponent off the stage. If your opponent is at lower enough percent, do a thunder. Its very obvious, but you would be amazed how many people fall for it, since people airdodge on instinct when they hear "PIKA!!!!". Their airdodge runs out as they try to pass through the thunder and they get zapped. If you do this enough, your opponent will wise up to it, but I've thrown it in here and there and I've hit my opponent 75% of the time. Just something new to try.
D-Throw: Slam
The facts:
Fresh Damage: 10
Element(s): Throwing
This grab is a viable Chainthrow on the following Characters:
(Original Testing by Ruuku)
Captain Falcon - 0%-80%
Fox 0%-70%
Sheik - 0%-60%
Wolf - 0%-30%
At lower percents, dthrow can be combo'd into utilt, usmash ->uair, nair, any aerial, for those characters that can't be chain grabbed.
U-Throw: Strength
The facts:
Fresh Damage: 5
Element(s): Throwing, Head
Muhznit said:
I use it to combo into Thunder at high percents. If I have a Bunny hood on, I may try to nail them with a Nair or other aerial.

K 2

Smash Lord
Forward Throw and be combo'd into an usmash->thunder for those characters pika can't chain grab. Also, at lower percents, dthrow can be combo'd into utilt, usmash ->uair, nair, any aerial, for those characters that can't be chain grabbed. One thing I like to do with bthrow. Stand near the edge and bthrow your opponent off the stage. If your opponent is at lower enough percent, do a thunder. Its very obvious, but you would be amazed how many people fall for it, since people airdodge on instinct when they hear "PIKA!!!!". Their airdodge runs out as they try to pass through the thunder and they get zapped. If you do this enough, your opponent will wise up to it, but I've thrown it in here and there and I've hit my opponent 75% of the time. Just something new to try.

Zylar

Smash Ace
AAA Combo: Headbutt : LOL, A forced-trip move.

F-Tilt: Pound : Should mention it's "high" and "low" parts.

D-Tilt: Tail Whip (Side) : Also a forced-trip move.

F-Smash: Zap Cannon : Pikasliding this is surprising and a good mind game. Here's the link (Just in case): http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=194854 numbero 13

D-Smash : Can be DI'd out of. However it can be an annoying mindgame if repeated to those who know too. Link : http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=193793

Argh, wish I could write more, but I G2G

K 2

Smash Lord
Many people know how to DI out of pika's dsmash. Whenever they do, you can follow up with a dash attack (maybe even a QAC into a tilt or smash). They are usually too busy mashing their control stick and c-stick to react to your attack once they break free of dsmash. They might be able to jump out of this "combo", but you've got nothing to lose.

Press22

Smash Journeyman
Bair >

I use it on platform stages like Battlefield or Lylat Cruise so that if they shield but still fall off the platform from the first hit, they get punished with the other hits (Which does 11% when fresh.)

K 2

Smash Lord
We all know pika can perform double, triple, or even quadruple thunder to edgeguard. It's difficult, but worth learning and could pay off when you least expect it. An easier way to edgeguard people (especially against characters with horrible recoveries) is to ledgehop -> thunder. The thunder with hit pika (who is airborne) right beside the ledge. If your opponent tries to recover using their up b, he gets a sweetspotted thunder in his face (KO's at low percents). You won't get hurt since your invincible during thunder and in case that fails, thunder has good priority. If your opponent tries to wait out the thunder, two things can happen:

1. The thunder ends and pika grabs the ledge, granting him invincibility frames, and forcing your opponent to land on the stage (Most likely, he won't be able to make it, unless he is floaty or has an amazing recovery. If he does, free nair for you.).
2. Your opponent waits too long and plummets to his doom while you laugh.

Against characters with insane recoveries (Pit, MK, Pika, Rob, Kirby, etc.), you will have to resort to more aggressive edgeguarding. You will have to utilize triple/quadruple thunders against these characters, since they can easily wait out a single thunder.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Bump for not only updating damage info and elements (finally) I have also found that Pikachu's AAA has more range than F-Tilt.

K 2

Smash Lord
Can you add KO%'s? I know that's somewhere, but it would be nice to have it here since this is about pika's moves. Knowing what percents your moves kill is extremely important.

Also, what does "element" mean? I know electric and such, since pika is an electric mouse pokemon, but "throwing"?

For the aerials, you might want to put:
Although there is no L-Cancelling in Brawl and Pika has no autocancelled moves, pika can still do aerials without the landing lag (pika does have cool looking landing lag though: nair-bounces like a ball, uair-sits on his butt, dair-"pikasquish"). If you do an aerial as soon as you jump, the move will finish in the air and you don't have landing lag. Just make sure you don't fast fall.
Nair: Short hop
Bair: Full hop
Uair: Short hop
Dair: Short hop
Fair: Short hop - not much noticeable lag either way.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Can you add KO%'s? I know that's somewhere, but it would be nice to have it here since this is about pika's moves. Knowing what percents your moves kill is extremely important.

Also, what does "element" mean? I know electric and such, since pika is an electric mouse pokemon, but "throwing"?

For the aerials, you might want to put:
Although there is no L-Cancelling in Brawl and Pika has no autocancelled moves, pika can still do aerials without the landing lag (pika does have cool looking landing lag though: nair-bounces like a ball, uair-sits on his butt, dair-"pikasquish"). If you do an aerial as soon as you jump, the move will finish in the air and you don't have landing lag. Just make sure you don't fast fall.
Nair: Short hop
Bair: Full hop
Uair: Short hop
Dair: Short hop
Fair: Short hop - not much noticeable lag either way.
I didn't really add KO%s because generally, they're based on a CPU-controlled Mario at the center of FD. However, given the extents of Computer AI difficulty, how many frames you've charged an attack for, damage decay, and other factors bound to change throughout multiple matches with multiple characters on multiple stages in multiple positions (Only in a perfect world will your be Mario at the center of FD getting hit with your perfectly executed KO move at that critical percent), that can VERY easily be disorted.

Element pertains to what sticker boosts the attack's power in Subspace Emissary. Some attacks have multiple elements to them (Ex: Pikachu's D-Smash is Electric AND Body/Spin) and are subject to stacking. I have Toon Link doing 1.39x more damage on all of his sword attacks and Zelda doing 33% or so in her Lightning Kicks through this method. Elements also play a role in dealing with Olimar and Pokemon Trainer. Noting the interactions between Blast Boxes, Hotheads, and numerous other things, elements may start playing a large role in Brawl if enough is discovered about them.

Finally, I completely forgot about the lag of Pika's aerials and such. Thanks for helping me remember.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Bump. It's been a week now without extra input. Do I have to be a popular Pikachu player to get this thing recognized or something?!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Fine fine i will help...

Nair is pikachu's best killing aerial, and seems to be the fastest of all the aerials (since i don't have frame specific. Bair is very good shield pressure, and can actually be used in a SH if you go towards the opponent, and then retreat. It normally pokes the shield at bottom-whichever side you came on (IE if you were on the right it pokes bottom right)

U-tilt is really good to juggle at low % and can also initiate my footstool combo at 0 against most characters. U-tilt can also combo into thunder, or just makes the person GTFO from next to you, and you can air chase them and possible bait an airdodge (likely) and get a free nair or F-smash if it is close the the ground.

Jab is good when the opponent is off the level and if they try to DJ, they will get hit and then you can run off and ledgehog which will kill several opponents.

D-tilt has a high percentage of trip, and some reason i can always get jab (for a while) D-tilt (trip) to grab and start a CG or D-throw comboes. FF Fair is godly as always, for you have a plethora of options. You can grab, U-tilt, or nair (D-smash works but is a mediocre move when people DI out of it consistently

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Thank you, ESAM.

I can still count on one hand how many different people have posted their ideas in here.
Shameless Bumping.

Khanxay

Smash Cadet
D-Tilt makes Pikachu move backwards a little for some odd reason. Well, not directly, but if you D-tilt and buffer a jump, Pikachu will move backwards.

At the edge of a stage facing towards the center, you can do a D-tilt then thunder, you will slide right off doing thunder.

Sorry for crappy wording.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
D-Tilt makes Pikachu move backwards a little for some odd reason. Well, not directly, but if you D-tilt and buffer a jump, Pikachu will move backwards.

At the edge of a stage facing towards the center, you can do a D-tilt then thunder, you will slide right off doing thunder.

Sorry for crappy wording.
Yes, that's Pikachu's tilt pull. It's interesting and why it happens is unknown to me. Its implications in battle is also unknown to me. At the least, maybe it can be used to make the opponent go "whaaaaat?" and upon their confusion you can get a cheap couple hits on them. ;)

Khanxay

Smash Cadet
Yes, that's Pikachu's tilt pull. It's interesting and why it happens is unknown to me. Its implications in battle is also unknown to me. At the least, maybe it can be used to make the opponent go "whaaaaat?" and upon their confusion you can get a cheap couple hits on them. ;)
There is discussion in another thread about hybrid/quantam/whatever thunder and I can consistantly pull that off using "tilt pull" to fall of the stage while using thunder. Great way to fake your death but a little risky.

And it does move you so it can be use to add/remove space between you and your opponent.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
IMO bthrow is better off being submission. And Pikachu learns that move in the game too.
"Mhrrrgh!" goes the Zombie thread! Then again, It's kinda alright up here because too many people ignore it. :/

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Muhznit, do you mind if I borrow some things from this moveset guide for the general Pikachu guide we're working on?

I'll give you credit for anything I use!

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Muhznit, do you mind if I borrow some things from this moveset guide for the general Pikachu guide we're working on?

I'll give you credit for anything I use!
Go nuts, but keep in mind some of this was found out by other fellow Pikas. I can't take credit for everything.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
There's gonna be a move analysis in the new Pikachu guide. This one is still good, though..... there's just not much to discuss once everything's been said about a character's moves.

Top Bottom